PDA

View Full Version : Arcane channeling

weenie
2008-01-09, 05:13 AM
Are there any other ways besides 13 levels in Duskblade to get the Acrcane channeling ability on full attacks, or any other ability that does something similar?

So far I came across the Smiting Spell feat from the PH2, but from the description it would seem that you need to spend a standard action to cast the spell, which is a big waste of combat actions.

There's also the spellsword Channeling ability, but you need to use a move action in that case(wich means no full attacking) and it has limited uses/day.

Rad
2008-01-09, 05:33 AM
I don't think so (except for Pun-Pun). After all if everybody keeps saying that you should take Duskblade until 13th to get that there has to be a reason.

Kurald Galain
2008-01-09, 06:13 AM
The chain spell metamagic feat does something similar.

weenie
2008-01-09, 06:25 AM
Rad: The thing is that you get other stuff from the Duskblade besides arcane Channeling. Full BaB, 2 good saves, d8 HD, spellcasting, spell power etc. So it wouldn't really be game breaking to let a wizard or a sorcerer take arcane channeling as a feat or gain it from a PrC.

Kurald Galain: What? How? :smallconfused:

Kurald Galain
2008-01-09, 10:24 AM
Kurald Galain: What? How? :smallconfused:

It lets you hit multiple targets with a single spell. That was the point, no? I think there's a Warlock prestige class that lets you do the same (by putting the spell on your eldritch blast, and getting multiple blasts) but warlocks aren't all that strong.

weenie
2008-01-09, 10:37 AM
It lets you hit multiple targets with a single spell. That was the point, no? I think there's a Warlock prestige class that lets you do the same (by putting the spell on your eldritch blast, and getting multiple blasts) but warlocks aren't all that strong.

Well, actually no, that wasn't all of it. Plus you can't channel a touch spell.

What I'm trying to achieve here is to be able to cast a spell whil inflicting a full attack action on someone, so that even if my frst attack misses, I'll still have chances of hitting the targert with my other attacks and thus delivering the spell.

Keld Denar
2008-01-09, 10:46 AM
Well, actually no, that wasn't all of it. Plus you can't channel a touch spell.

What I'm trying to achieve here is to be able to cast a spell whil inflicting a full attack action on someone, so that even if my frst attack misses, I'll still have chances of hitting the targert with my other attacks and thus delivering the spell.

Casting swift spells or granting youreself extra actions (Belt of Battle(MIC) can grant 3 move actions a day) will allow you to channel spells either as a swift action (swift or quickened spells), or as a move action gained in place of a swift action(Belt of Battle). That's about it. You've already realized the only 2 classes that grant arcane channeling.

Good luck and good gaming!

weenie
2008-01-09, 11:07 AM
Well, in that case, do you know of any way to make a spell permanently quickened?

Person_Man
2008-01-09, 11:07 AM
Enlightened Fist from Complete Arcane can burn a Stun attempt to cast
and deliver a touch spell as part of a full-attack action. Sadly, you only apply the spell effect once (unless you're using Chill Touch or a similar spell) and not on every attack that round, like a Duskblade's 13th level ability.

But it has the benefit of using the full Wizard/Sorcerer spell list. The Enlightened Fist also gets the hold ray ability, which turns a ray spell into a touch spell. And it gets Spell Resistance, which is always useful. Overall, I think its far more powerful then a Duskblade. Although the damage per round will be lower, you get access to Greater Invisibility, Fly, Stoneskin, Feeblemind, Polymorph, etc.

Keld Denar
2008-01-09, 11:23 AM
Well, in that case, do you know of any way to make a spell permanently quickened?

Memorize the spell as quickened every day? Only memorize swift spells?

Do you mean for no level adjustment? There is no way to do it all day (unless you are an artificer with wand surge and a near infinite amount of cash)

Sudden Quicken Metamagic feat does it once a day
Divine Metamagic: Quicken can do it 2-3 times per day w/o Nightsticks
Duskblades can quicken spells x/day
Metamagic Rods of Quicken can quicken different level spells 3/d
Incantrix's can apply metamagic for reduced or negated cost x/day times
Casting spells on the astral plane automatically quickens all spells (planar bubble?)
Belt of Battle (MIC) can burn charges to grant extra actions as a swift action, 1 charge for a move, 2 for a standard, 3 for a full round....3 charges max
Arcane Spellsurge can make low level spells quickened
Arcane Fusion allows casting of multiple spells, simulating quickend spells

That all I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure there are a few others, but they are more obscure.

serow
2008-01-09, 12:25 PM
Well, in that case, do you know of any way to make a spell permanently quickened?Abjurant Champion (Comp Mage) auto-quickens all Abj spells up to a certain level (3 i think).

weenie
2008-01-09, 12:34 PM
Abjurant Champion (Comp Mage) auto-quickens all Abj spells up to a certain level (3 i think).

Well, yeah, but there's not much good channeling material in there I'm affraid..