PDA

View Full Version : ECL mod on a cat

Laurellien
2008-01-09, 05:59 AM
Does anybody know this? I've been wanting to play a kitty spellcaster for a very long time.

Serpentine
2008-01-09, 06:19 AM
I think if it has a CR of less than 1, it's just +0?

Iku Rex
2008-01-09, 06:50 AM
There's no official level adjustment.

LA +0 seems about right for a talking, normal Int cat.
LA +1 if you allow it to cast spells without Still Spell.

Serpentine
2008-01-09, 07:14 AM
How about using its tail for the motions instead of paws?

kamikasei
2008-01-09, 07:26 AM
This is why you go with an awakened cat psion.

Fixer
2008-01-09, 07:32 AM
I prefer the monkey rogue myself.

Get a hold of the Savage Species book. In the back it has stats for anthropomorphic animals. Use the ECL back there (I think it is 1) for an intelligent cat able to take class levels. As that would be your natural form, you would not need still spell or any other feat to cast spells in your natural shape as that is how you would have learned how to cast the spells.

paigeoliver
2008-01-09, 07:34 AM
I think a cat should actually be +1, it may be worthless as a combatant, but it has significant abilities that make it more powerful as a player race than a monster, largely in that an intelligent cat basically gets this ultimate superspy template for free, not only do they sport +28 in assorted racial bonuses to sneaky skills (and the racial equivalent of a feat about what stat they use, and weapon finesse), they also have the distinct advantage of being a small ordinary looking animal that can go almost anywhere.

Once you get rid of the size modifiers on their ability scores it appears that they don't even have any actual stat adjustments (Cat without size modifiers is STR 11, DEX 11, CON 10, INT 2, WIS 12, and CHA 7. The mental stats listed are very basic mammal stats that a lot of animals have in common. So if the cat has a normal intellect then it is getting a package far more powerful than the normal races, thus a level adjust of 1.

Or, play a catfolk, since that is an actual kitty race.

Khanderas
2008-01-09, 07:49 AM
Or a Wizard who either bungled a polymorph spell (now a cat and polymorph magic stopped working on him for unknown reasons) or reincarnated by a stoned druid.

Sure the ability to sneak and walk-in-plain sight is though the roof, the disadvantages are, never taken seriously by strangers (minus alot to intimidate), dexterity problems (can't ... reach.... doorknob), unable to carry stuff (like spellbook), being chased by dogs and other normally friendly animals, ummm "urges" in the month of march. Oh and intestal worms.
And how does a housecat handle spellcomponents ?

Plenty of hooks there. And plenty of minuses. Great Dex, but horrible Str and I would say con as well (perhaps not technically but hey, a cat cannot take a punch). It would be a -LA to me, just to keep up. Love the idea though.

nonsens
2008-01-09, 08:07 AM
VoP cat druid

Obrysii
2008-01-09, 08:12 AM
An Awakened cat has 3 racial HD....so I'd say LA +0, ECL 3.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-09, 09:11 AM
The are Catfolk in Races of the Wild and Miniatures Handbook IIRC, if you you want to be slightly more humanoid.

... an intelligent cat basically gets this ultimate superspy template for free

Yes, but magic items ruin that image a bit, which means you have to cast spells to disguise yourself anyway.

Once you get rid of the size modifiers on their ability scores it appears that they don't even have any actual stat adjustments (Cat without size modifiers is STR 11, DEX 11, CON 10, INT 2, WIS 12, and CHA 7.

Assuming your numbers are correct that is WIS +2 and CHA -4.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-09, 09:33 AM
I believe that I have just the thread for you. (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=853487)

Person_Man
2008-01-09, 10:23 AM
You could be a kitty necromancer, and have your undead servants carry your spellbook, components, items, etc. I think a cat psion would also work well. Maybe with Vow of Poverty, so you don't have to worry about magic items. It certainly wouldn't be potent, but it'd be fun.

Laurellien
2008-01-10, 05:03 AM
I was thinking about a cat wizard or archivist with an armoured warrior cohort. The cohort would carry my prayer book, and I would act as if the cohort was my character, and the cat was just a pet. At least until my cat gets its claws out and starts using polymorph...

Talic
2008-01-10, 05:11 AM
You could be a kitty necromancer, and have your undead servants carry your spellbook, components, items, etc. I think a cat psion would also work well. Maybe with Vow of Poverty, so you don't have to worry about magic items. It certainly wouldn't be potent, but it'd be fun.

What's the value of a spellbook?

JackMage666
2008-01-10, 05:21 AM
As said above, Awaken nets you 3 Animal HD, so that hurts caster level. The unusual size in and of itself, however, nets it an additional +1 LA. So, 3 HD, +1 LA would get my vote.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 05:21 AM
Pages filled x 50 gp.

A full spell book (100 pages sell for) 5000 gp.

Laurellien
2008-01-10, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info, but it's a pity that cats have such high ECL. Anywho, I still like my character concept.

nargbop
2008-01-10, 06:16 PM
Cat Scratch Fever : Successful claw attack makes target unimaginably hot and bothered.