PDA

View Full Version : Is that Mr. Scruffy?

TGWG
2008-01-09, 10:32 AM
The cat that Belkar threw at tsukiko, the natural 20 he got on a search check, the one Belkar owes a little bit of loyalty to, the true power in Azure city...

...Is that Mr. Scruffy, Shojo's loyal pet?

WarriorTribble
2008-01-09, 10:42 AM
Considering how many people in the forum joked the cat was the TRUE power of Azure City (or the world for that matter) I'd say yes. :smallsmile:

Falconer
2008-01-09, 10:43 AM
No. It's just some random cat that happens to look exactly like him.:smalltongue:

It's good to see what happened to Mr. Scruffy. I was kinda wondering...

ShellBullet
2008-01-09, 10:54 AM
Assuming that Scruffy, Belkar and Haley manage to flee or Tsukiko flees, does that mean that Scruffy gains a level?

It would be neat for Scruffy to be first house cat to gain level in Oots history or even in the whole DnD history...

AKA_Bait
2008-01-09, 11:01 AM
Assuming that Scruffy, Belkar and Haley manage to flee or Tsukiko flees, does that mean that Scruffy gains a level?

It would be neat for Scruffy to be first house cat to gain level in Oots history or even in the whole DnD history...

Perhaps he would become a level one Aristocat?

I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself...

Fighteer
2008-01-09, 11:04 AM
Animals don't gain experience and can't have class levels. They advance by Hit Dice, which is an entirely arbitrary factor in the hands of the DM.

An Awakened animal can have class levels, but is no longer considered an animal.

Before the epileptic trees start giving Mr. Scruffy Awakened stats, templates, Divine Ranks, and other nonsense, let me point out that nowhere in the comic is it ever suggested that he's anything other than a normal (if spoiled) cat.

Valiena
2008-01-09, 11:09 AM

Dum dum dum dum! (drum roll thingie)

Maybe the Mr scruffy as Animal companion crowd are on to something? A level 10-12 (?) ranger animal companion would be pretty nifty.

Rad
2008-01-09, 11:32 AM
It was quite time for Belkat to get an animal companion!
Then again, what better place to get an AC than AC? :smallbiggrin:

Dallas-Dakota
2008-01-09, 11:37 AM
The revenge of Mr. Scruffy!

dish
2008-01-09, 11:39 AM

As long as he doesn't go the same way as Blackwing.

mikeejimbo
2008-01-09, 11:51 AM
As the founder of the Mr. Scruffy fanclub, I completely and totally approve.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-09, 11:51 AM
A coupla quick spells, and Mr Scruffy could be a riding animal suitable for a halfling too...

Yea Scruffy

House_of_Dexter
2008-01-09, 11:55 AM
I think Mr. Scruffy is who/what Belkar :belkar: saw earlier out of the corner of his eye...

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html

Fighteer
2008-01-09, 11:58 AM
Maybe the Mr scruffy as Animal companion crowd are on to something? A level 10-12 (?) ranger animal companion would be pretty nifty.
While the idea of Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion does intrigue me, Belkar has thus far shown absolutely zero interest in that particular class feature. It would require that he at least pretend to care for another living being. For more than five minutes at a time.

Besides, unless I'm very badly misremembering the 3.5 rules, a ranger's animal companion doesn't "poof" into and out of existence like a paladin's mount. It's always there, and must be accounted for. (Not that this explains V's raven, but...)

Ikialev
2008-01-09, 11:59 AM
The revenge of Mr. Scruffy!

<Dum-da-dummm>

Kreistor
2008-01-09, 12:02 PM
Darn straight, it's Mr. Scruffy!

Morty
2008-01-09, 12:04 PM
While the idea of Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion does intrigue me, Belkar has thus far shown absolutely zero interest in that particular class feature. It would require that he at least pretend to care for another living being. For more than five minutes at a time.

Well, Belkar can care about other living people as long as they're useful, and animal companion is.

Besides, unless I'm very badly misremembering the 3.5 rules, a ranger's animal companion doesn't "poof" into and out of existence like a paladin's mount. It's always there, and must be accounted for. (Not that this explains V's raven, but...)

I don't see how this interferes with "Mr. Scruffy as animal companion" theory. Rangers need to get their animal companions from somewhere, as they don't have them from the start, but Mr. Scruffy didn't pop in out of thin air.

TheAlmightyOne
2008-01-09, 12:04 PM
Mr. Scruffy demands your blood!!!

Also statisitcally your average housecat is stronger than a level 1 commoner. Mr. Scruffy is not your average housecat however.

House_of_Dexter
2008-01-09, 12:05 PM

nah...I think you have it wrong...It's just one Evil Creature who aligns himself with another Evil Creature...Belkar doesn't even have to feed him...Evil Cats can fend for them self...and think of all the kudos that Belkar:belkar: will get from helping the True Ruler of Azure City get his throne back ;)

DreadSpoon
2008-01-09, 12:06 PM

::snrk:: Now you owe me a new keyboard! :)

MCerberus
2008-01-09, 12:10 PM
All will fear Mr. Scruffy.

BRC
2008-01-09, 12:12 PM
All will fear Mr. Scruffy.

We must build a statue of our glorious leader!

Kaelaroth
2008-01-09, 12:14 PM
So, what bonuses will Mr.Scruffy get now he is an Awakened Animal Companion Housecat of Legend with a level in Aristocrat and a level in Bard (I think miaows are often quite melodious!)? :smalltongue:

VetMichael
2008-01-09, 12:26 PM
YAY! Mr. Scruffy!

What is the statistics for an enraged house cat, anyway? Does he get Sneak Attack? Is it claw, claw, claw, claw, bite? Can he inflict Toxoplasmosis on Tsukiko?

SteveMB
2008-01-09, 12:33 PM
We do see Belkar playing with Mr. Scruffy (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0379.html). Apparently Belkar at least finds him amusing (like Elan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0153.html)).

Tyrmatt
2008-01-09, 12:39 PM

*groan*
That's sub-Elan punning. For shame!

WrstDmEvr
2008-01-09, 07:39 PM

Hehe. Reminds me when my group tried to level up a mule.

VetMichael
2008-01-09, 07:48 PM

Wait, by level, do you mean LEVEL (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html)level, or a level level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html)?

VetMichael
2008-01-09, 07:49 PM

Wait, by level, do you mean LEVEL (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0012.html)level, or a level level (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0124.html)?

David Argall
2008-01-09, 07:50 PM
Mr. Scruffy as animal companion?
PH rules do not include cats as animal companions, so a hostile DM can squash the idea right away. Given the presence of things like wolves on the list, it seems unlikely there would be objections,but strictly by the book, it's not allowed.

Now as an animal companion for a 12th level ranger, Mr. Scruffy would be 4 1/2 HD, 20 hp, AC19, 2 claws +7 [1d2-3] & bite +2 [1d3-3], which is not going to impress anybody at double digit levels. But it seems to have better spot and listen than Belkar.

VetMichael
2008-01-09, 07:53 PM

mockingbyrd7
2008-01-09, 08:01 PM
So, what bonuses will Mr.Scruffy get now he is an Awakened Animal Companion Housecat of Legend with a level in Aristocrat and a level in Bard (I think miaows are often quite melodious!)? :smalltongue:

No, not Aristocrat. Aristocat.

Melodious meows? Indeed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JuVHCJVYf4&feature=related)

Irbis
2008-01-09, 08:07 PM

Ps - we have already done that, in lolthcats campaign. It was fun, while it lasted :smalltongue:

If you look for it there's still recruitment thread with about a dozen cats with various classes :smallwink:

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-09, 08:15 PM

Those commoners would be doomed! Doooooooomed!

WrstDmEvr
2008-01-09, 08:22 PM

We tried to give it 1,000 experience points. Needless to say, our DM vetoed it.

wagomorph
2008-01-09, 08:23 PM

It is a shame that getting an AC in AC won't help his AC. But the animal would get evasion.

dehro
2008-01-09, 08:48 PM
why does Greebo spring to my mind?:smallbiggrin: (better to my mind than in my face though)...
now...my question is... what has belkar fed the cat for these weeks?... I mean..they're on a battlefield, right? and it's Belkar we are talking about... gross...

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-09, 09:17 PM
We must build a statue of our glorious leader!

And so it is done! (Click on the thumbnail to see a larger image)

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/5921/mrscruffypc9.th.gif (http://img265.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mrscruffypc9.gif)

It is a shame that getting an AC in AC won't help his AC. But the animal would get evasion.

You know its also a shame that Dexter the building contracter didn't arrive in Azure City and re-enforce the walls before Xykon showed up.

Unfortunatly AC fell after Xykon took it by surprise and it was denied its Dex bonus.

Icewalker
2008-01-09, 09:50 PM
The first phrase which came to mind was: "The triumphant return of Mr. Scruffy!"

Also, "awesome!"

Fraz-Urb'luu
2008-01-09, 09:59 PM
Hurrah for the return of Mr. Scruffy! I personally doubt that Belkar will take Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion, it is possible I suppose...

sikyon
2008-01-09, 10:07 PM
Considering Belkar only lusts and hates...

:smalleek:

Valiena
2008-01-09, 10:17 PM
Considering Belkar only lusts and hates...

:smalleek:

:smalleek: Indeed! Hide the peanut butter....

Darkcomet
2008-01-09, 10:25 PM
IMO, V's theory was incomplete. There are two more Belkar-emotions.

Amusing-Belkar finds them amusing. Examples include Shojo, Scruffy, and Elan.
Useful-Belkar finds them useful. Prime example-Durkon.

Anyway, Mr. Scruffy has returned. For great justice!

multilis
2008-01-09, 10:37 PM
I personally doubt that Belkar will take Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion
Just like Belkar wouldn't want to go back and save Elan because he made him laugh "Roy has cleavage/boobies!"

If Mr. Scruffy makes Belkar happy, then Belkar may take him, he may already have gone back for him after seeing him on a spot check, feeling he was worth it.

let me point out that nowhere in the comic is it ever suggested that he's anything other than a normal (if spoiled) cat.

Warning, humungous epic spoiler of above top secret proportions. DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING if you do not want to risk your life. There may be those who silence permanently those who know too much.

Mr. Scruffy is the Avatar for Snarl, a super epic villain of unbelievable slyness, deception and mind control. He taught his former weakwilled master how to pretend to be dumb, he manipulated naive Miko to destroy the gate, his apprentice MiTD also pretends to be dumb, while he mind controls Xykon and Redcloak. Under Scruffy's direction, MiTD empowered Roy with the strength to throw Xykon into the gate, then made Elan hit the self destruction button. Why?

Because Mr. Scruffy wants all the gates destroyed! Under the guise of protecting them or using them he gets others to destroy them.

If you dont believe me look at his claws... the claws of snarl. And any knitter of wool can tell you what a chaotic kitty given the ball of wool at end of half knitted sweater will do, create a picture like Snarl!! Look at a chaotic kitty in the dark and you will see the eyes of Snarl!!!

Now that you have read it, Snarl may know and he may come for you sooner or later. It could be the cat next door or a stray cat in town, orrrrrrjl helppd

SilentNight
2008-01-09, 10:39 PM

That happened once in one of my campaigns. A cat got three natural 20's and killed a carrion crawler.

Mr. Scruffy shall rule the world!!:smallcool:

The Wanderer
2008-01-10, 01:56 AM
No, not Aristocrat. Aristocat.

Melodious meows? Indeed. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JuVHCJVYf4&feature=related)

I think if Belkar got a cat odds are it would be more like this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0omjqLTZGU). :smalleek:

Squid Thingy
2008-01-10, 02:10 AM
I can see Belkar take Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion. They both have an affinity for piercing claw like objects, homocidal tendencies, and the intelligence of an average housecat. They should get along just fine.

Kai Maera
2008-01-10, 03:25 AM
I can see Belkar take Mr. Scruffy as an animal companion. They both have an affinity for piercing claw like objects, homocidal tendencies, and the intelligence of an average housecat. They should get along just fine.

Ah, but Scruffy has higher wisdom than Belkar. Yet they both stay hidden in containers... hmmm...

factotum
2008-01-10, 04:16 AM
what has belkar fed the cat for these weeks?...

He hasn't fed the cat anything, given that he just found him in the granary (one assumes Mr. Scruffy is what Belkar spotted in the granary in strip #516).

Darkantra
2008-01-10, 04:25 AM
Well, Mr. Scruffy seems to have taken a liking to Belkar over numerous strips, and Belkar at the very least likes the Aristocat (it never gets old!:smalltongue:).

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0405.html

With the Mark of Justice on him and everything Belkar may well need an animal companion to deal lethal damage to anyone who annoys him/is within 10 ft.

Hmm... wait a second, if the Mark of Justice can only be removed when Belkar faces trial from the legitimate authority of Azure City, and if Mr. Scruffy is the legitimate authority of Azure City... :belkar: one speak with animals spell later and he's free folks!

Manga Shoggoth
2008-01-10, 05:42 AM
Hmm... wait a second, if the Mark of Justice can only be removed when Belkar faces trial from the legitimate authority of Azure City, and if Mr. Scruffy is the legitimate authority of Azure City... :belkar: one speak with animals spell later and he's free folks!

Nope. Belkar has already had his trial, and he raised this point at the trial.
Hinjo made it quite clear that the MoJ was added outside the law (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html).

Darkantra
2008-01-10, 05:43 AM
Nope. Belkar has already had his trial, and he raised this point at the trial.
Hinjo made it quite clear that the MoJ was added outside the law (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0420.html).

... Aw nuts. Oh well, it was a good idea at the time...

Ave
2008-01-10, 06:01 AM

Not true, Belkar has shown interest in Mr.Scruffy.
With the cat's previous owner deceased, Belkar adopted the cat (or the cat adopted Belkar).

Baron Pineapple
2008-01-10, 08:01 AM
Okay, time for me to get geeky!

Basic Cat according to SRD
Size/Type: Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: ½ d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +2
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 14 (+2 size, +2 Dex), touch 14, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Claw +4 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: 2 claws +4 melee (1d2-4) and bite -1 melee (1d3-4)
Space/Reach: 2½ ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +10, Climb +6, Hide +16*, Jump +10,
Listen +3, Move Silently +8, Spot +3
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Temperate plains
Organization: Domesticated or solitary
Challenge Rating: ¼
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Now then, I have seen various assumptions on Belkar's level, ranging from 12 to about 14. For sake of this example let's assume the higher level. This would mean Ranger 13/Barbarian 1.

Normally an 13th level Ranger functions as a 6th level Druid in terms of Animal Companion benefits. These would be as follows:

Class Level Bonus HD Natural Armor Adj. Str/Dex Adj. Bonus Tricks Special
1st-2nd +0 +0 +0 1 Link, share spells
3rd-5th +2 +2 +1 2 Evasion
6th-8th +4 +4 +2 3 Devotion
9th-11th +6 +6 +3 4 Multiattack
12th-14th +8 +8 +4 5
15th-17th +10 +10 +5 6 Improved evasion
18th-20th +12 +12 +6 7

However we also know that Belkar just leveled in fighting the wights earlier. Even though he suffers a Negative Level, he still is able to gain the benefits of leveling before applying the effects of the negative level, as the negative level applies penalties and does not actually take a level away until 24 hours has passed and Belkar fails a DC 15 Fort Save. Assuming this is level 15, it's entirely possible that the feat gained this level could be chosen as Natural Bond (Complete Adventurer), which increases the effective level of Animal Companion benefits by +3 levels. Now depending on what actual class Belkar picks, there are three different possible results.

Ranger (or some other Prestige Class that adds +1 level to Animal Companion benefits)
Barbarian (or a non-Animal Companion enhancing class/prestige class)
Beastmaster (from Complete Adventurer, increases Animal Companion benefits by +4 more levels)

Now the chances of Belkar having the Skill Focus in Animal Handling to qualify for Beastmaster? Iffy at best, but Rich might just think it's cool to have BELKAR: BEASTMASTER simply for the nostalgia of some very cheesy 80's flicks.

The likeliest choice is that Belkar will increase in some ranger hybrid class that advances him +1 level in ranger-like abilities, including Animal Companion. but just in case he does not, we have the following three possible results for Mister Scruffy.

Mister Scruffy: 10th Level Animal Companion Benefits (6 and 1/2 HD, AC 19, Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d2-3) and bite +4 melee (1d3-3)
Mister Scruffy: 9th Level Animal Companion Benefits (6 and 1/2 HD, AC 19, Full Attack: 2 claws +9 melee (1d2-3) and bite +4 melee (1d3-3)
Lord Scruffy of Azure City: 14th Level Animal Companion Benefits (8 and 1/2 HD, AC 24, Full Attack: 2 claws +12 melee (1d2-2) and bite +10 melee (1d3-2)

Any of the above level-ups also include +1 to +2 ability boosts, and +2 to +3 additional feat choices for Mister Scruffy. Since we know that Belkar is a blood and guts kind of guy, and would likely want his companion to be the same, we can logical guess that the likeliest ability boosts would be to Dex so as to increase his Attack Bonuses and AC, and the likeliest feats might be Improved Natural Attack, potentially increasing Mister Scruffy's claws from 1d2 to 1d6.

All in all, nothing to sneer at in any possible permutation, given that Mister Scruffy looks innucuous and would have a Hide skill of +23 to + 27 at that point, making him the perfect flanking and scouting buddy. He would also have a pretty decent Spot score + Low-Light Vision and Scent, to help Belkar on those pesky perception checks.

*gets off the geeky soapbox*

Talya
2008-01-10, 08:27 AM
making him the perfect flanking and scouting buddy.]

As a tiny sized creature, Mr. Scruffy would not threaten adjacent squares, and thus could not flank.

Mando Knight
2008-01-10, 09:24 AM
A coupla quick spells, and Mr Scruffy could be a riding animal suitable for a halfling too...

Yea Scruffy

No more riding dogs for the Belkster... now he rides a DIRE KITTY!

...but how to add dire... ness to Mr. Scruffy?

Green and Red
2008-01-10, 09:57 AM
I know its not in the official stat block, and logic dosent really work always in d&d , but dont you thing a ct should have pounce?
literally all other cats (like lion, tiger, or the dire versions) have it, and i think it would make sense.

Also we hear tsukiko being hit by three scratches, which the cat should be unable to do, even with a full attack, unless it had pounce and rake. So can we assume that mister scruffy has these?

EDIT: for adding direness, i havent found a direct way, but there is an enlarge animal spell, that is even on the ranger spell list (though you have to be a 15 level ranger) but also on druid and wiz/sorc. It cannot be permanencyd normally, but enlarge person can, so i would assume this to be a not so far off houserule.

Talya
2008-01-10, 11:26 AM
EDIT: for adding direness, i havent found a direct way, but there is an enlarge animal spell, that is even on the ranger spell list (though you have to be a 15 level ranger) but also on druid and wiz/sorc. It cannot be permanencyd normally, but enlarge person can, so i would assume this to be a not so far off houserule.

An enlarged cat becomes a small animal.

Belkar cannot ride a small animal...but at least it would threaten adjacent squares, making it a far better companion.

(Anybody ever been shortsighted enough to take Hawk as an animal companion?)

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-10, 11:28 AM
Animal growth is always a good start, but that's why I said Hexblade. They get some spells that specifically boost the combat prowess of their familliar. Plus you can get access to the familliar feats, such as Cloaked?? Familliar. the feat says that if the familliar attacks from you square it counts as attacking from invisibility...ya know, denied dex..no AoO, all those goodies. if you bump the familliar with buff spells too, Mr Scruffy suddenly becomes a very credible threat.

Baron Pineapple
2008-01-10, 11:31 AM
I suppose both Mister Scruffy and Belkar could try and learn Swarmfighting?

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-10, 12:04 PM
I suppose both Mister Scruffy and Belkar could try and learn Swarmfighting?

Sweet, Mr Scruffy and Belkar. Inseperable companions, giving each other combat bonuses when they mob an opponent.

Darnit. Now I have to go home tonight and figure out esxactly what can be done with Mr scruffy to make him the biggest, baddest kitty on the block.

I hate you, I hate you all.

Gerrtt
2008-01-10, 12:21 PM
I'd like to point out that Mr. Scruffy has black (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0272.html) legs and the house cat has white (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0520.html) legs.

Now, unless Mr. Scruffy got an art upgrade, I have my doubts.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-10, 01:09 PM
I'd like to point out that Mr. Scruffy has black (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0272.html) legs and the house cat has white (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0520.html) legs.

Damn, he has a point... I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Darkantra
2008-01-10, 01:21 PM

I hope that it's a retcon. Rich can't get our hopes up about a possible AC for Belkar and then dash it with a regular kitty :smallfrown:. Good spot though!

Gerrtt
2008-01-10, 03:17 PM
I hope that it's a retcon. Rich can't get our hopes up about a possible AC for Belkar and then dash it with a regular kitty :smallfrown:. Good spot though!

I mean, I'm not saying it's impossible for it to be Mr. Scruffy...maybe it's just a mistake. The legs were just something I noticed.

Either way, it was the first spot check I've passed in a long time. Spot should really be on the list for more classes.:smallbiggrin:

spinedoc
2008-01-10, 03:26 PM
Ewwwwwww. Toxoplasmosis comes from the bacteria in the fecal material. What kinda roll would that require :(P

YAY! Mr. Scruffy!

What is the statistics for an enraged house cat, anyway? Does he get Sneak Attack? Is it claw, claw, claw, claw, bite? Can he inflict Toxoplasmosis on Tsukiko?

Carne
2008-01-10, 03:34 PM
Not much more. Toxoplasmosis can be contracted from cat scratches, due to the following series of events:

* Dig
* Poop
* Bury
* Scratch
* Infect

Perhaps it's best to think of a cat's claws as a very small stabbing weapon with a permanent natural poison applied, albeit one with a low chance to proc.

Jayngfet
2008-01-10, 03:40 PM
No more riding dogs for the Belkster... now he rides a DIRE KITTY!

...but how to add dire... ness to Mr. Scruffy?

duck tape and wight bones.

Mc. Lovin'
2008-01-10, 04:16 PM

Good sir, this is both terrible and brilliant at the same time :smallbiggrin:

VetMichael
2008-01-10, 05:53 PM
I wonder how one goes about lobbying for Mr. Scruffy to be added to the "smilies"?

Ewwwwwww. Toxoplasmosis comes from the bacteria in the fecal material. What kinda roll would that require :(P

the kinda "roll" that Mr. Scruffy would leave laying around, laden with toxoplasmosis parasites! :smallwink:

I think I just MAY add this to a campaign for low-level characters tired of fighting "giant rats" and such MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Gilmiril
2008-01-10, 06:20 PM

Anyone who has cats would know that Belkar and Scruffy could be fast friends due to mutual respect for each other's psychosis.

V's raven is easily explained. Familiars are often forgotten by players until they need them. Hence in the comic, V's raven appeared only when V had need of him, and at other times, it simply disappeared and was forgotten. IOW, Rich was poking fun at typical gamers with this.

Teron
2008-01-10, 07:16 PM
(Anybody ever been shortsighted enough to take Hawk as an animal companion?)
Leeky Windstaff. :smallsmile:

Animal growth is always a good start, but that's why I said Hexblade. They get some spells that specifically boost the combat prowess of their familliar. Plus you can get access to the familliar feats, such as Cloaked?? Familliar. the feat says that if the familliar attacks from you square it counts as attacking from invisibility...ya know, denied dex..no AoO, all those goodies. if you bump the familliar with buff spells too, Mr Scruffy suddenly becomes a very credible threat.
An animal companion is not, and in fact cannot be, a familiar.

Anyway, I agree Belkar seems to have finally found an animal companion to his taste - one that can tear a commoner's throat out and escape unnoticed.

greatapocalypse
2008-01-10, 07:40 PM
yeah mr. scruffy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yendor
2008-01-10, 08:21 PM

Obviously he's put on weight, and doesn't have scrawny stick-legs anymore.

VetMichael
2008-01-10, 08:23 PM
OR he's shaggy from lack of brushing/petting and his fur on those legs have become much longer.

Demented
2008-01-10, 09:09 PM
Knowing Belkar's wisdom score, it may not be scruffy. =(
But that's also good... It means Scruffy won't be recieving the brunt force of Tsukiko's imminent wrath.

David Argall
2008-01-10, 10:37 PM
Hmm, now that you mention it, there are some art differences. It could be two cats. It is easier to assume they are the same white cat with a little art variation. Still, if you can think of some plot utility of having the two cats, it is a definite possibility.

Crimson Avenger
2008-01-11, 11:44 AM
As promised yesterday...Ultimate (realatively speaking) Mr Scruffy the Animal Companion of Belkar the Beast Master

Tiny animal
HD: 8+ 1/2 (38)
Init: +2
Speed: 30 ft
AC: 22 (+2 sz +2 Dx + 8 Nt)
BA/ Grp: 6/ -3
Att: Claw +10 (1d3-1)
Full Att: 2 claws +10 (1d3-2) and bite +10 (1d4-2)
Space/ Reach: 2 1/2 ft./ 0 ft
SA: -
SQ: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +10, Will +3
Abilities: Str 7 Dex 19, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Balance +12, Climb +8, Hide +18, Jump +12, Listen +7
Move Silently +8, Spot +7
Feats: Stealthy, Weapon Finesse, Imp Nt Weapon (Claw),
Imp Nt Weapon (Bite), Imp Multiattack
Plus all those cool animal companion things like evasion and multiattack

Belker would cast these spells prior to combat:

Enrage Animal: +4 Morale to Str, Con +2 Morale to W saves -2 AC
Nature's Favor: +2 Luck bonus Attack and Damage
Animalistic Power: +2 Enhancement to Str, Dex, Con
Barkskin: +4 Enhancement to Natural Armor
Gr. Magic Fang: +2 Enhancement on all Natural Weapons
Animal Growth: +8 Sz to Str, +4 Sz to Con, -2 Sz to Dex, DR 10/ Magic
+4 Resistance to Saves
Feat- Shared Fury
Feat- Natural Bond

Sooo......Mr Scruffy in Combat would look like

Small Animal
HP 56 (92 when raging)
Init: +4
AC: 27 {23} (+1 Sz, +4 Dx, +12 Nt {-4 raging})
BA/ Grp +6/ +5 (+9 raging)
Attack: 2 claws +15 (1d3 + 3) and bite +15 (1d4 + 1)
Raging: 2 claws +18 (1d3 + 7) and bite +18 (1d4 + 3)
Saves: Fort 13 (17 raging) Ref 14, Will 7 (11 raging)
Abilities: Str17 (25), Dex 19, Con 16 (24), Int 2, Wis 12, Chr 7
DR 10/ Magic

A very credible flanking partner, of course this will never happen as Belkar is unlikely ever to have a Wisdom of 14 so that he can cast all of those spells (Animal Growth is a 4th level spell). Still, it's nice to imagine a Belker/ Mr Scruffy dream team.

DementedFellow
2008-01-11, 07:45 PM
I feel kinda stupid. I, at first, thought it was Roy's Bag of Tricks that he found. I mean he took an animal out of a bag and flung it. So that's where my mind originally went.

EmperorSarda
2008-01-11, 08:16 PM
If it weren't for the different color of legs, I'd say it would be the Almighty Scruffy, in that Belkar wouldn't declare his allegiance to an ordinary house/stray cat.

Green-Shirt Q
2008-01-11, 09:59 PM
Answer me this.

Will Mr. Scruffy be Belkar's animal companian.

and

Will he eat Blackwing.:smallbiggrin: