PDA

View Full Version : The Mystic Blade v2.0[Base Class]

Valairn
2008-01-09, 12:01 PM
Information on class removed.

Tyonisius
2008-01-09, 10:33 PM
OMG YOU SUCK NEVER HOMEBREW AGAIN!

Ok, jokes aside. I like it. Personally I think the hit die is low, but I haven't played with maneuvers or stances (though I have read over them) so I may not be informed enough. A d8 should be perfectly fine... maybe even a d10 to be honest.

Valairn
2008-01-09, 11:06 PM
Well last edition of the class, I didn't use enough caution, causing me to create a pseudonatural paragon cheese monster, so its good to hear I didn't give the class enough, rather than giving the class too much. :smallbiggrin:

I ramped up the Hit die to d8, and I was gonna roll it into d10, but I'd rather add more class features to justify a d8, and be able to expand it a bit more.

Lord Tataraus
2008-01-09, 11:37 PM
Well, the class seems to be pretty well fleshed out at this point so there is not much to say. The d8 is definitely the best die to go with here, d10 would be too high with all the stuff it gets. The dead levels are kind of nasty, but with all the other stuff it seems necessary. The true sight seems a bit too much, I'd suggest making it more of a "X minutes of True Sight, divided as you choose". At first glance it seems a bit powerful, but I think playtesting is needed to see if that's true. I really like the flavor of this class and I might use it for an interesting NPC or villian, if it turns out to be on par with the PCs, I think I'd allow this class.

Stycotl
2008-01-10, 01:48 AM
very interesting. i think it is balanced. i am interested in making an npc out of this idea, for future pc-smackdown.

Valairn
2008-01-10, 08:49 AM
I could modify the True Sight to be a concentration based ability, so if the Mystic Blade is not concentrating on using his True Sight he isn't granted its effects(for instance, fighting in a battle). Or I could push it back 2 levels to 18, so its more of a capstone ability.

I was thinking that for a few extra things to fill in the dead levels, I could add something that combines the strikes and spellcasting to add a bit more versatility to the class, as it stands right now, he has to waste a number of actions to buff himself, which can be deadly, especially since he can't quicken any of his spells. But then again, his basic martial ability is actually pretty decent with the disciplines he has access to.