PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick: June '05 II

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Sneak
2005-06-20, 09:32 PM
No, I'm pretty sure the building itself was created by Dorukan. But Xykon was the one who made it into an evil dungeon, so technically the dungeon was made by Xykon.

DarkCloud
2005-06-20, 09:53 PM
Ah, well that's a plausible explanation for why the place could be called the Dungeon of Dorukan, and yet the 'evil dungeon' for adventurers would have been created by Xykon...

Seraph
2005-06-20, 11:03 PM
on the blue vengeance dude incident, consider that Lirian's gate was destroyed by a fire, while Dorukan's was blown up by the self-destruct.

Gralamin
2005-06-20, 11:35 PM
I'm unlurking again to say what I think each person is:

Soon: appears to be a samurai, who is spectulated to of also trained Blue cloak Guy.

Dorukan: Wizard, also either has a child, or is the newest and youngest member of the group. (inferred from the "new kid" thing above his head.)

Serini: rogue, appears to have the nickname Mell (or mell is a ranger but edvidence says that mell is a nickname)

Lirian: shes a druid people DRUID! first she wears no metal items. Second she chose the gate in the forest. Girl spellcaster + forest (probaly) = Druid.

Kraagor: Fighter or Barbarian. Must likely the latter dop to the "mean grr" thing.

Girard: Bard perhaps? but he does seem to be wearing armor. but i forgot how bards work anyway.

Winged One
2005-06-21, 12:45 AM
Bards don't get spell failure from light armor, but they do get it from medium or heavy.

Darkspear
2005-06-21, 12:49 AM
I'm unlurking again to say what I think each person is:
Serini: rogue, appears to have the nickname Mell (or mell is a ranger but edvidence says that mell is a nickname)

Lirian: shes a druid people DRUID! first she wears no metal items. Second she chose the gate in the forest. Girl spellcaster + forest (probaly) = Druid.

I agree with you on the Druid thing, but they need a healer. And it's not Mell, it's Me followed !!

Gez
2005-06-21, 01:09 AM
Hmm. I wonder what classes the Durokanites are?

Durokan is obviously a wizard/sorcerer/arcane magic user or something.
Soon's *got* to be a samurai with that beard and those shoulders.
Serini is a rogue.
Lirian is probably a wizard/sorcerer as well.
Kraagor totally looks like a barbarian to me.
So that leaves Girard to be a healer of some kind... possibly a paladin if he isn't a cleric.

It was first edition, like Haley's daddy!

So:
Durokan is a Magic-User
Soon is a Samurai (Soon's player was probably a munchkin)
Serini is a Thief (she says rogue because nobody wants to acknowledge being a thief)
Lirian is a Druid or a Priestess. The forest stuff could just be because she's, you know, an elf.
Kraagor indeed looks like a Barbarian.
Girard is probably a Bard. And if it was indeed a first edition Bard, then he'll be a multiclassed Fighter/Thief/Bard. (Bard was the first prestige class, to become a 1e Bard you needed to start as a Fighter, then multi as a Thief, and only then could you become a bard, gaining access to Druid and Illusionist spells.)

Grey Watcher
2005-06-21, 01:10 AM
I'm certain someone has mentioned this before, but check out: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=13

"...created by the Mad Lich Xykon."

or were just the monsters created by him :D

Actually, all that means is that, at the time, Elan believes Xykon created the dungeon. In #71 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=71), they learn for the first time that dungeon was not built by Xykon, and it seems to be a surprise to Roy.

Oh, and what appears to be "Mel", is just "Me!!!!!" It's just the typeface isn't terribly clear. Same reason I thought the dwarf was a bearded "grrrl".

Poeir
2005-06-21, 01:17 AM
With respect to Elan's claim that the Dungeon of Dorukon was "created by the mad lich Xykon," and that it's later revealed that Dorukon built the dungeon, not Xykon, I think that can be chalked up to Elan's lack of intelligence, illustrated in any number of comics. Elan being wrong isn't really something at which to be surprised. Indeed, it's much more surprising when he's right (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=141).

Sundog
2005-06-21, 03:08 AM
I agree with you on the Druid thing, but they need a healer.

A druid makes a perfectly good healer, particularly when paired with a healing bard. You just spend a little on cure potions and appropriate scrolls, and you can do all of the healing any cleric can.

Ikkitosen
2005-06-21, 04:18 AM
Blue Guy isn't Soon, he just works for him I reckon. Remember, he was sent by a master - Soon should be that master, not the servant. Maybe I'll go look at the comic where he gets sent (130?).

Edit: Go look - the master guy has grey boots and a blue cloak, the Blue Guy has blue boots and a blue cloak. Soon has...Grey boots!

JD
2005-06-21, 06:17 AM
'The new guy seems interested, but I think he just wants to get into her magical door, if you know what I mean. Hee Hee!'

I didn't even notice it the first time I read it, that one is priceless...

All hail the almighty Giant, creater of OotS, master of puns and grower of goatee's*.

* = I had to have a third thing, otherwise it'd seem unfinished.

AtomicKitKat
2005-06-21, 06:53 AM
Here's my best guess at what it says on the main page(the other one is obscured by panel size):

...the third fissure. Lirian is already going on and on about some way to seal the gate/hole with a magical door or something, but I totally zoned out on the details. The new guy seems interested...etc.

Kraagor sounds more masculine than feminine, heck, it even sounds more orcish(ultimate tribe of "important" male vs "irrelevant" female) than dwarven(might be the use of K instead of C).

Runolfr
2005-06-21, 10:25 AM
I'm certain someone has mentioned this before, but check out: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=13

Could just be that Elan doesn't know any better, especially at that point in the story.

Runolfr
2005-06-21, 10:28 AM

Judging by the ears, Lirian is an elf, which makes it perfectly reasonable for her to choose to live in a forest whether she's a druid or not (and Wizard -- not Druid -- is the favored class for elves).

Grey Watcher
2005-06-21, 11:10 AM
Judging by the ears, Lirian is an elf, which makes it perfectly reasonable for her to choose to live in a forest whether she's a druid or not (and Wizard -- not Druid -- is the favored class for elves).

Well, Hilgya's a dwarf, but she doesn't want to live in the mountains, and Durkon's favored class is Fighter, but that didn't stop him from being a Cleric. The point is, really ANY information about the classes of these characters is pure speculation.

Runolfr
2005-06-21, 11:28 AM
Well, Hilgya's a dwarf, but she doesn't want to live in the mountains, and Durkon's favored class is Fighter, but that didn't stop him from being a Cleric. The point is, really ANY information about the classes of these characters is pure speculation.

I believe I've been making that point all along.

Aidan305
2005-06-21, 11:37 AM

Simple answer:

The OOTS (more specifically Elan) didn't know about Durokan. As seen in comic no. 71 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=71/)

Earthwolf
2005-06-21, 04:14 PM
I agree with Starla, Lirian's necklace looks like Durkon's, which I take to mean she's a cleric (it's a holy symbol). And, as others have said, her apparent elfhood is reason enough for her to live in a forest. For that matter, she could always be a cleric of a nature deity, such as Ehlonna or Obad-Hai or whoever would be equivalent to them in the Order of the Stick's campaign world.

A_petrock
2005-06-21, 05:29 PM
wonderful i some how erased all i had written..

good work.. and when i get into a better mood ill resend all that crap i wrote..

evileeyore
2005-06-21, 08:22 PM
It was first edition, like Haley's daddy!

So:
Durokan is a Magic-User
Soon is a Samurai (Soon's player was probably a munchkin)
Serini is a Thief (she says rogue because nobody wants to acknowledge being a thief)
Lirian is a Druid or a Priestess. The forest stuff could just be because she's, you know, an elf.
Kraagor indeed looks like a Barbarian.
Girard is probably a Bard. And if it was indeed a first edition Bard, then he'll be a multiclassed Fighter/Thief/Bard. (Bard was the first prestige class, to become a 1e Bard you needed to start as a Fighter, then multi as a Thief, and only then could you become a bard, gaining access to Druid and Illusionist spells.)

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Winnah is you! Or; I agree wholeheartedly!

Except I still doubt all this talk of Samurai. I put money on them being Rangers or Fighters and the Samurai thing is play on how munchkiny some people are...

Nightmarenny
2005-06-21, 11:14 PM
Think we will finaly be seeing the OotS tonight?

Darkspear
2005-06-22, 01:18 AM
We will by Monday. More V ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-06-22, 01:27 AM
Hazzaa V!

Um to those who say that the female elf is a Cleric because of her necklese I would like to point out that the Hobgoblin leader also wore one but he was not a Cleric as far as we know.

Gez
2005-06-22, 02:21 AM
Hazzaa V!

Um to those who say that the female elf is a Cleric because of her necklese I would like to point out that the Hobgoblin leader also wore one but he was not a Cleric as far as we know.

It wasn't a necklace. It was a Shiny Gold Amulet of Supreme Rulership. ;)

And the new hobgoblin leader has a holy symbol as his necklace.

It's pure speculation, but a typical party needs a cleric, and she's the only one that could be a cleric, since others don't have a holy symbol.

Fairome
2005-06-22, 03:11 AM
What I wanna know is why Shadow refers to it as Crooked Mountain when the Master of the MBG referred to it as the Redmountain Gate.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-06-22, 03:15 AM
Different mountain. High level wizards can be wherever they want almost instantaneously...no one ever said Xykon went all the way to Redmountain to fight him.

Or maybe Redmountain is just the proper name of the stronghold.

goblin
2005-06-22, 03:19 AM
the gate was red... maybe it's the "red" "mountain gate", and each of the others has a different color? maybe?

Fairome
2005-06-22, 03:49 AM
Well, despite the wild speculation that is sparked by misreading Rich's strips, the Giant's usually pretty distinct in his wording. The phrased "killed over [something]" tends to mean over ownership. I suppose, since the picture of the battle is of Xykon and Dorukan flying whilst battling, it might mean that Dorukan was killed above Crooked Mountain, but that seems... unnecessarily complicated that Shadow would mention the mountain where Dorukan was killed by Xykon rather than the mountain over which they were fighting.

Also, the Mysterious Master spoke of the Redmountain Gate, not the Red Mountain Gate. It's distinctly Redmountain.

I'm just wondering...

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 05:45 AM
On an entirely different subject. I wonder if Hilgya will be returning to the lines of The Liniar Guild - Remember: Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned She just might have a little something to pick with Durkon when she stops crying ;) With her fully embracing Loki's Dark Side, I would think that our stout dwarfen friend should be looking over his shoulder for more than just hostile trees *G*

Chris the Pontifex
2005-06-22, 06:26 AM
On an entirely different subject. I wonder if Hilgya will be returning to the lines of The Liniar Guild - Remember: Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned She just might have a little something to pick with Durkon when she stops crying ;) With her fully embracing Loki's Dark Side, I would think that our stout dwarfen friend should be looking over his shoulder for more than just hostile trees *G*

ag, i'd wish you'd post that in the closed speculation thread, now it'll never happen :(

Fairome
2005-06-22, 06:28 AM
Oh ye flippin' gawds, I almost just snorted an entire Cheerio out of my nose along with the milk.

Evilgasm.

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe!

Evilgasm.

Silmarwen
2005-06-22, 06:29 AM
he he... "evilgasm"
I want one of those too ;)

The Giant
2005-06-22, 06:31 AM
Well, despite the wild speculation that is sparked by misreading Rich's strips, the Giant's usually pretty distinct in his wording. The phrased "killed over [something]" tends to mean over ownership.

No. "Over" meaning "flying over at the time". If I meant what you imply, I would have said "killed in a dispute over Crooked Mountain".

The Redmountain Hills and Crooked Mountain are two distinct and unrelated places. Note that Xykon refers to "drawing Durokan out" from his hiding place in the Redmountain Hills. Also, in the picture showing their duel, the sky is a normal blue rather than the red sky seen above the Redmountain Hills.

Pvednes
2005-06-22, 06:35 AM
"I think I just had an evilgasm."

*chokes* ROFL :D

Fairome
2005-06-22, 06:37 AM
Ah. Thankee sirrah Giant, for the clarification.

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-06-22, 06:41 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!! "I think I just had an evilgasm". Priceless. Even "Oh my" was kinda funny. ROFLMFAO!!!!

PokeTheBard
2005-06-22, 06:46 AM
:o That is a LOT of Hobgobbos... Nice ;D

Pvednes
2005-06-22, 06:47 AM
Additionally, you just have to love how Xykon just kinda peeks back in frame when he smells more power.

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 06:53 AM
*LOL* Now that's funny ;D I'd say that the lord Giant has truly been on a roll for quite a while here *G* - I mean TOotS has always been funny, but he just keeps topping himself *G*

And as for a lot of HobGobboes - with a 300 average pr. legion, we are talking roughly 26.000 gears in the clockwork orange *G* - Hmmm.... Any idea what the average xp is per Hopgoblin?? - Just trying to figure out how Belkar is going to react to the opportunities *L*

Nikolai_II
2005-06-22, 07:05 AM
And as for a lot of HobGobboes - with a 300 average pr. legion, we are talking roughly 26.000 gears in the clockwork orange *G* - Hmmm.... Any idea what the average xp is per Hopgobling - just trying to figure out how Belkar is going to react to the opportunities *L*

I don't know what Belkar will think, or even if he will get the chance to consider it.

But what I can say is that Redcloak and Xykon will have a lot of minion-sacrificing to do, Xykon for fun and Redcloak becuase he hates severely dislikes Hobos. (Or Hobbos, like, whatever ;))

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 07:23 AM
XP Value:
Hobgoblin 35
Sub-chief 65
Chief 120

Now that town holds close to a million XP *G* -

Alas - nothing is listed on the Supreme Leader, but then again; that's all in the past *G* I wonder if you get 1/4 xp for using said Hobgoboes for "problemsolving" !?? ;D

Sc00by
2005-06-22, 07:27 AM
*giggles* evilgasm!

best...

line...

ever..!

;D

Great stuff - the OotS are in for a surprise me thinks ;) Does 3.5 have overbearing rules?

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 07:38 AM
Great stuff - the OotS are in for a surprise me thinks ;) Does 3.5 have overbearing rules?

Well - I am pretty sure that Roy sees it as a rule that for the sake of the party, he has to be overbearing when it comes to Elan *G*

Premier
2005-06-22, 07:38 AM
I hate love to be a nitpick, but a 300-goblin legion is a pretty paltry one. The Roman legion at its height nominally consisted of 6000 people, the actual number usually closer to 4800. Caesar used smaller legions, around 3600 soldiers in each.

So even with all 87 hobgoblin legions taken together, about 5 Roman legions could match them. With gusto.

So the point of this post is... well, yeah. Romans (and by extension, all humans) are leet and kick puny hobgobbo ass.

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 07:43 AM
I hate love to be a nitpick, but a 300-goblin legion is a pretty paltry one. The Roman legion at its height nominally consisted of 6000 people, the actual number usually closer to 4800. Caesar used smaller legions, around 3600 soldiers in each.

So even with all 87 hobgoblin legions taken together, about 5 Roman legions could match them. With gusto.

So the point of this post is... well, yeah. Romans (and by extension, all humans) are leet and kick puny hobgobbo ass.

Actually - The lt Hobgobbo only stated that there were 300 in Legion One - it might be that they matched the roman numerals before Xykon started his problemsolving ;D

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-22, 07:48 AM
ROFLMAO that is now my favorite word: evilgasm! That comic was pure gold

Fairome
2005-06-22, 07:50 AM

I hate the disagree, but... Hobbos rule. Give me hobgoblin fighters over Roman legionnaires any day of the local equivalent of the week.

Eric_The_Mad
2005-06-22, 08:02 AM
OK, we're all in agreement that there are a lot of Hobgobs down in that valley.

Question for consideration:
Technically, those Hobgobs work for Redcloak, who works for Xykon.

What if Redcloak decides he doesn't WANT to work for Xykon anymore?

Does Xykon have enough throw weight to deal with umpteen legions of minions that Redcloak could throw at him?

Ikkitosen
2005-06-22, 08:23 AM
Raises a question: Can a cohort have the Leadership feat? Therefore forming a chain by which you could recruit an army, otherwise limited to a coupla hundred doods.

E.g. Xykon. Cohort Redcloak.

Redcloak. Cohort "Supreme Leader" hobgob.

"SL" hobgob. Cohort hobgob general (or whatever).

etc. Of course maybe they're not covered by the cohort/follower rules at all.

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 08:25 AM
Raises a question: Can a cohort have the Leadership feat? Therefore forming a chain by which you could recruit an army, otherwise limited to a coupla hundred doods.

E.g. Xykon. Cohort Redcloak.

Redcloak. Cohort "Supreme Leader" hobgob.

"SL" hobgob. Cohort hobgob general (or whatever).

etc. Of course maybe they're not covered by the cohort/follower rules at all.

The Giant Wrote: I bend the rules when it makes it funny. Accept. ;)

Vhesper
2005-06-22, 08:26 AM
Allow me to get my geek on.. ;)

50 1/2 CR Hobgoblins = CR 9
6 9 CR Hobgroups = CR 14
or
10 9 CR Hobgroups = CR 16 (Thats 500 Hobs)

So the entire CR for 21k Hobgoblins is around 27. If they all come at once. :D So he could probably take a single legion, by the book, but if the Order beat him then the whole Hobgoblin army would give him some trouble.

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-06-22, 08:38 AM
That is a lot of minions...makes me wonder how many other ways Xylon and Redcloak will sacrifice them...

How many portals do they have left to explore?

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com

Alexandrukas
2005-06-22, 08:44 AM
Got to love the phrase "I think I just had a evilgasm" LOL I just can't stop laughing

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 08:49 AM
That is a lot of minions...makes me wonder how many other ways Xylon and Redcloak will sacrifice them...

How many portals do they have left to explore?

Regards,

Matt M McElroy

Xykon stated that there were 5 gates, so with Dorukan and Lirian down that leaves Kraagor, Girard and our Master of the Blue - Soon :)

Chris_Chandler
2005-06-22, 09:00 AM
Okay, now that was just awesome...
evilgasm...

beauty...

Wanderer
2005-06-22, 09:06 AM
OK, we're all in agreement that there are a lot of Hobgobs down in that valley.

Question for consideration:
Technically, those Hobgobs work for Redcloak, who works for Xykon.

What if Redcloak decides he doesn't WANT to work for Xykon anymore?

Does Xykon have enough throw weight to deal with umpteen legions of minions that Redcloak could throw at him?

He wouldn't need to. Xykon's the simple type. He'd just kill Redcloak. And Redcloak knows this.

Besides, the last time where I saw thousands of low-level characters sent against a high-level character, the only result was lots of low-level corpses.

Lawful_Stupid
2005-06-22, 09:17 AM
Yup, same thing happened in my campaign. 50 or so gnomes vs. us. Our wizard cast fireball and killed 48 of them. They all fell like dominos. That was a good day. ;D

Anyway, back to the comic. That is a lot of minions, probably way too many for the OotS to take down. This could lead to some very good battlescenes.

silvadel
2005-06-22, 09:43 AM
Actually I was thinking "Where is the 'ding' for redcloak?" It appears when he became supreme leader of the hobgoblins he "defeated" quite a bit more hobgoblins than he thought he did....

xolik
2005-06-22, 09:45 AM
'Evilgasm' gets my vote for best word ever. I was seriously cracking up when I read that. Great job!

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 09:50 AM
One might wonder if the the real Supreme Leader http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=149 has crawled under a rock, or if he will be stirring up trouble for our two favourite bad guys in the city ;)

Sc00by
2005-06-22, 09:57 AM
Our wizard cast fireball and killed 48 of them. They all fell like dominos. That was a good day. ;D

Could be an excuse for Roy to show us some more of his 'great cleavage' too ;D

PokeTheBard
2005-06-22, 10:01 AM
I'm sorry but "Roy has boobies" is without a doubt the BEST line in history.... ever...

Who want's the giant to write a dictionary entry for "Evilgasm"? I do! I do!

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 10:17 AM
I'm sorry but "Roy has boobies" is without a doubt the BEST line in history.... ever...

Whatever happend with the poison that Belkar lifted off that trap ? Considering that he thinks V a pompus jackass for mentioning that (s)he hirself defeated the dragon alone, I hope for his own sake that he doesn't plot a less than subtle revenge in that department - if he were to try, I am pretty sure we see a lizard with a bad temper and hairy feet ;D Pretty funny mental image, actually *G*

Brother_Hood
2005-06-22, 10:21 AM
Loved it. I like seeing Redcloak starting to have minons.

"is there anything sacrificing minons can't solve" is one of my favorite lines, however. :D

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-06-22, 10:22 AM
I wonder what the next gate will look like and how many Hobgoblins they'll sacrifice in order to get inside. Which further leads me to wonder just how many will be left by the time the OotS meets up with Xylon & Redcloak again...

Any ideas as to what Xylon is going to do with the flying zombie he created a couple strips ago? With an army the size of this one, just what will be the best use of his sleeping beast and other minions...

So, is "Lieutenant Guy" the former leader of the Hobgoblins?

Regards,

Matt M McElroy

PapersAndPaychecks
2005-06-22, 10:48 AM
Rich, I insist that you warn me before posting anything as funny as "evilgasm" again. Explaining to your co-workers why you're laughing like a hyena is embarrassing, okay?

Knight13
2005-06-22, 01:44 PM

More like 1 Roman legion since hobgoblins are pansies.

Anyway, "evilgasm" was really funny and I think 88 legions of 300 hobgoblins each might mildly inconvenience the Order of the Stick for a few minutes.

Adghar
2005-06-22, 02:09 PM
Xykon stated that there were 5 gates, so with Dorukan and Lirian down that leaves Kraagor, Girard and our Master of the Blue - Soon :)

What if Soon was just another guy and the mysterious blue guy is someone else? Don't go off randomly assuming things else the Giant will change his plotline because you were so arrogant to assume who is what.

:)

If you check the FAQ, he mentions that if someone predicts something he's going to do, even if he's correct or hasn't planned it out yet, he has a strong urge to do something different just to prove you wrong.

Silverblaze
2005-06-22, 04:43 PM
What if Soon was just another guy and the mysterious blue guy is someone else? Don't go off randomly assuming things else the Giant will change his plotline because you were so arrogant to assume who is what.

If you check the FAQ, he mentions that if someone predicts something he's going to do, even if he's correct or hasn't planned it out yet, he has a strong urge to do something different just to prove you wrong.

I do indeed remember Lord Giant penning words along those lines, good sir - And as I recall he furthermore stated that due to such, he did not read the posts too closely (though the recent activity of the Giants pen in this board does suggest otherwise). Still - I would not consider my musings to be mere "random assumptions" as you put it. Though I may be far from right, given the present information, said conclusions build on logic :-)

Nightmarenny
2005-06-22, 05:00 PM

First of all it is not belived that Soon is the blue guy(he's to old) it is belived that he is the blue guys master. Second its not ramdom. Same boots same cloak and he was a freind of Dorken(or what ever) giving him a good reason to send a blue Sameri guy after them.

whmice
2005-06-22, 05:09 PM
evilgasm
i couldnt sleep after that one!

Penguin
2005-06-22, 05:14 PM
Really amazes me how people will keep posting 'spoilers' on here, as many times as the Giant has said that it (understandably) damages the plot line of the comic.
Really does...

Runolfr
2005-06-22, 06:00 PM
Really amazes me how people will keep posting 'spoilers' on here, as many times as the Giant has said that it (understandably) damages the plot line of the comic.
Really does...

Spoilers? What spoilers?

Spoilers are pieces of known information about the story that will "spoil" it for others. It's like telling someone that Darth Vader is Luke's father before they've seen any of the Star Wars movies; it kills the climax.

What's happening here is people speculating and drawing logical conclusions based on the clues that Rich has already given in the story. We don't really know any more about what's going to happen in the future than the next guy, so we can't spoil the story, at least not for anyone who has read all the strips up to this point. We might spoil something for people who still need to start from #1, but should they be reading these threads yet?

RebelRogue
2005-06-22, 07:31 PM
Spoilers? What spoilers?

Spoilers are pieces of known information about the story that will "spoil" it for others. It's like telling someone that Darth Vader is Luke's father before they've seen any of the Star Wars movies; it kills the climax.
That why Penguin wrote "'spoilers'" instead of "spoilers"...

A_petrock
2005-06-22, 08:40 PM
*laughs* i had thought you had written the same thing twice for amusement value and to confuse.. which it did for me..

and throwing guesses around isn't really spoiling it if you add in guesses that are way off just to throw everyone else off.. like..

the twin weilding henchmen is actually roy's alterego to punish everyone for not being lawful good.. or.. belkars human brother from another mother....

Wanderer
2005-06-22, 08:43 PM
Spoilers? What spoilers?

What's happening here is people speculating and drawing logical conclusions based on the clues that Rich has already given in the story. We don't really know any more about what's going to happen in the future than the next guy, so we can't spoil the story, at least not for anyone who has read all the strips up to this point. We might spoil something for people who still need to start from #1, but should they be reading these threads yet?
The point is that posting these predictions, IF they prove to be accurate, can end up messing up our story as Rich alters things to avoid matching up with what we say. And that's bad. Story is paramount. We MUST NOT mess with the story.

Nightmarenny
2005-06-22, 09:11 PM
But with Soon he left some preety big hints. I think he wanted us to find out

Duskrider_Moogle
2005-06-22, 10:38 PM
or.. belkars human brother from another mother....

That would make him...half-halfling?

Platinum_Mongoose
2005-06-22, 11:27 PM
Oh dear, thems a lot of hobgobbies...

Matuse
2005-06-23, 12:46 AM
evilgasm
i couldnt sleep after that one!

Strange, cause Xykon just rolled over and was snoring in seconds after his.

Not that you'd really want to cuddle a skeleton anyway.

Winged One
2005-06-23, 01:37 AM
3/4thling?

Nightmarenny
2005-06-23, 02:29 AM
Querterling

Zorg
2005-06-23, 03:45 AM
Not that you'd really want to cuddle a skeleton anyway.

But I like supermodels ;)

Baatezu
2005-06-23, 04:04 AM
The point is that posting these predictions, IF they prove to be accurate, can end up messing up our story as Rich alters things to avoid matching up with what we say. And that's bad. Story is paramount. We MUST NOT mess with the story.

But, if The Giant decides to twist the plot in order to show us how our predictions are wrong, than the plot will thicken and twist like a man after eating 20 hamburgers.
And plot thickening isn't a bad thing. I do it all the time to surprise my players when they think they know what's going on.

Penguin
2005-06-23, 05:56 AM
Yes, but its not really our place to ruin a good idea for a plot twist that the giant already has come up with, just because we have to boost our ego by letting all other people know how clever we are by having figured it out.
Its counterprodoctive in the long run for the comic.

Taelas
2005-06-23, 06:28 AM
But, if The Giant decides to twist the plot in order to show us how our predictions are wrong, than the plot will thicken and twist like a man after eating 20 hamburgers.
And plot thickening isn't a bad thing. I do it all the time to surprise my players when they think they know what's going on.

Except that every time the plot changes to mess up our expectations, something, somewhere, is not going to *really* make sense. The Wheel of Time series has this fault developed to an art. There are at least a few places where Robert Jordan *must* have changed his mind, probably after hearing predictions from his fans.

Silverblaze
2005-06-23, 08:28 AM
Hmmm - Has anyone created a thread where all sorts of "spoilers" can be discussed and in which the noble Giant is not allowed ;D

That should grant the best of both worlds (pun intended) - allowing the curious and progressive thinkers to wield their musings, whilst keeping Rick and those who have no wish to take part happy about not having it in their faces *G*

Still - barring the Giant from a place in his own website might prove problematic - any ideas on how to sacrifice a few minions to solve that one ;)

The Glyphstone
2005-06-23, 08:51 AM
You're not referring to Here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1109876475 ), are you?

Silverblaze
2005-06-23, 08:58 AM
You're not referring to Here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1109876475 ), are you?

*LAUGH* Tadaaa - Now that's the way to go about it. Only left to hope that the Giant doesn't lurk there from iddle curiosity *G* Thus I bid thee thanks, Glyphstone. T'would seem that all such problems are solved - should anyone care to speculate on what the future brings in stead of dwelling on the past or present - that's the place to go - which I might had known all along had I only looked for it more closely - in short: My bad ;)

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy - I am a Dwarf, I am a Dwarf *G*

Shatteredtower
2005-06-23, 09:30 AM
Yes, but its not really our place to ruin a good idea for a plot twist that the giant already has come up with, just because we have to boost our ego by letting all other people know how clever we are by having figured it out.
Its counterprodoctive in the long run for the comic.

"The answer I always fall back on is to quote Raymond Chandler. People said: 'Raymond, don't you feel devastated by how Hollywood has destroyed your books?' And he would take them into his study, point to the bookshelf and say, 'There they are. Look, they're fine.' The film has got nothing to do with my work. It has a coincidental title to a book I've done and they've given me a huge wedge of money. No problem with that." - Alan Moore, on the subject of how he feels of Hollywood's treatment of his works

I see no reason why it should be any different for the author of this series and his readers.

erisian
2005-06-23, 09:58 AM
Raymond Chandler was amazingly brilliant.

With quips like "evilgasm" Rich is approaching a similar brilliance in hilarity.

Aeek
2005-06-23, 10:07 AM

you're forgetting the different fathers.

mastroyo
2005-06-23, 08:13 PM
This series of plot OoTS was VERY needed. I don't know about you, but I think the timing was very good. Even a little late, but it's not influencing at all.

As I see it, the comic is much better and interesting now that it was on n.130. At least it has more meaning, AND it conserves the fun and funniness.

I know, I speak a crappy english. ;D

Nightmarenny
2005-06-23, 09:51 PM
Ok Im 74 percent that this will not be a Xykon strip. Judging from the past this seems like the kinda thing to Rich would change to the others with.

It reminds me very much of the starmetal and Hobgobli leader killing strip.

Silverblaze
2005-06-24, 03:53 AM
Hmmm.... Whatever happend to Roy's hair ??? - I mean he had a pretty nice fro before going to Fightercollege *G* http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=113 Is it a fashion statement, or was it being around Elan that caused him to loose it ?? ;D

irongolem
2005-06-24, 05:04 AM
Extreme comic withdrawal :-[
Gotta move to a better timezone..

irongolem
2005-06-24, 05:06 AM
Hmmm.... Whatever happend to Roy's hair ??? - I mean he had a pretty nice fro before going to Fightercollege *G* http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=113 Is it a fashion statement, or was it being around Elan that caused him to loose it ?? ;D

Hmm well we know that Roy is always exhausted.. http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=14
Might be stress of usual campaigning.. then again. His dad was bald too; http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=113
So it might just be good ol' Male Pattern Baldness inherited from dad.

Silverblaze
2005-06-24, 05:08 AM
Well - he might have started to loose his hair (as his father did) and then just decided that he would rather go for the cooler, bald look than lack of hair ;D

Penguin
2005-06-24, 05:31 AM
"The answer I always fall back on is to quote Raymond Chandler. People said: 'Raymond, don't you feel devastated by how Hollywood has destroyed your books?' And he would take them into his study, point to the bookshelf and say, 'There they are. Look, they're fine.' The film has got nothing to do with my work. It has a coincidental title to a book I've done and they've given me a huge wedge of money. No problem with that." - Alan Moore, on the subject of how he feels of Hollywood's treatment of his works

I see no reason why it should be any different for the author of this series and his readers.

The Giant himself has claimed that he will change stuff that he might otherwise like if we catch it, so yes, I do see how there is a difference here. It is in the view of he writer himself.

Aeek
2005-06-24, 06:28 AM
The Giant himself has claimed that he will change stuff that he might otherwise like if we catch it, so yes, I do see how there is a difference here. It is in the view of he writer himself.

So 'V doesn't have Elan's baby."

Now that's not going to happen.

The Glyphstone
2005-06-24, 06:43 AM
;DGeez, you people are behind schedule!

It's almost an hour and a half past 5:30 AM EST, and no one's complained that the comic's late. Get to it! ;D ;D

Aeek
2005-06-24, 06:47 AM
I nearly complained last time whilst wondering what the evilgasm was about.

Aeek
2005-06-24, 07:35 AM
just noticed Xykon wanders off left and reappears right.

>>>
Also, what's with the posts not incrementing?
Is this linked to the comic not incrementing?
>>>

ah, they all increment - oots withdrawal is affecting my observationak powers.

Silverblaze
2005-06-24, 07:37 AM
Write that down to artistic freedom or teleport (he is a mighty sorcerer after all) ;)

Silverblaze
2005-06-24, 08:33 AM
I need my TOotS :'( Can't start out weekend without it - must have funnyfix, and need to leave cyperspace in just a short while :'(

JD
2005-06-24, 08:39 AM
So hard... how can he do this to us? I have NOTHING better to do, and the things more important (gasp) will cause my stitches to break. I need my comic fix.

irongolem
2005-06-24, 08:52 AM
;DGeez, you people are behind schedule!

It's almost an hour and a half past 5:30 AM EST, and no one's complained that the comic's late. Get to it! ;D ;D

Extreme comic withdrawal :-[
Gotta move to a better timezone..
That do it fer ya Glyph? ;)

The Glyphstone
2005-06-24, 08:57 AM
26 minutes too early. ;D

GreyRat
2005-06-24, 09:03 AM
His dad was bald too; http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=113
So it might just be good ol' Male Pattern Baldness inherited from dad.
[biology geek mode] In case you're wondering, MPB is an X-chromosome-linked trait, which means a man can only inherit it from his mother. So we'd have to look at brothers of Roy's mother to see if it runs in her family, and could thus be passed on to Roy himself. [/biology geek mode]

Whar's the comic?! If we don't get something better to discuss, I'll have to start talking about Serenity, and I know y'all don't want that. I mean who'd have guessed that Mal is actually a woman... :o

Shatteredtower
2005-06-24, 09:15 AM

You presume a lot, speaking for the writer like this. What we have to say about what he writes has absolutely nothing to do with the decisions he makes. If he wants to be contrary, that's his call. If he wants to be predictable, his call. If he wants to throw a new spin on an old theme, it's still entirely his call.

I don't get to dictate how he writes his comic and he doesn't get to tell me that I'm steering the storyline, so I fail to see the cause for panic here.

Aeek
2005-06-24, 09:44 AM
Elan won't have V's baby.

Ooots withdrawal made me do it.

Shorty_the_Kobold
2005-06-24, 09:58 AM
BWAHAHAHA!!!!
"I think I just had an evilgasm." Pure genius.
And also "Sir, I may need more time to get the troops mobilized." ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Penguin
2005-06-24, 10:16 AM
Quote from the FAQ: Thanks, but I prefer to create my own plots. In fact, I try not to read anything where people suggest upcoming plot ideas because I hate it when people guess what is going to happen. I feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong. Petty? Probably.

So you see, if the giant does happen to see our predictions, it might damage the plot, in that he'll be urged on by himself, to do it differently, because (as most DMs) he hates it when his readers/players guess what'll happen.

So you see, if people have the big urge to toss predictions of what'll happen out onto the forums, there are threads for that.

Aeek
2005-06-24, 10:29 AM
counterargument:

I predict that all characters will continue to be stick figures.

Penguin
2005-06-24, 10:54 AM
You're missing the point. the idea is that the more likely the theory is, the more likely it is that its actually true. the problem occours when someone happens to guess what'll happen, not just when people make random statements such as that, which are frankly quite far-fetched.

I'm not saying the giant does the opposite of what is written here, I'm just saying that if you happen to have a "spoiler" theory right, and heb reads it -that- might cause him to change the plot.

Aeek
2005-06-24, 10:58 AM
all characters remaining stick figures is unlikely???

as for the point, its gone midnite, I'm bored, and where's the comic?
also, see option b).

I ask myself 'What would Banjo do?"

RawBearNYC
2005-06-24, 11:23 AM

You see, Ving Rhames (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000609/) agreed to play Roy in the movie version of the Order of the Stick, so rich had to shave Roy's head.

erisian
2005-06-24, 11:27 AM
You see, Ving Rhames (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000609/) agreed to play Roy in the movie version of the Order of the Stick, so rich had to shave Roy's head.

That would be freaking fantastic!!

Hamburger
2005-06-24, 11:27 AM
Oh, don't fret about it. Rich is an intelligent guy, he's not going to damage his strip simply because somebody makes a semi-accurate guess.

He says in the FAQ that it's an "uncontrollable" urge, but that's just exaggerating for effect. He's not going to throw a snit fit and change something excellent into something crappy.

Besides, GMs change their plots all the time. They think of something better, and maybe even change their unrevealed world history a bit to fit, and the old plot gets punted because it wasn't as good. *I* certainly do that when I'm GMing. In fact, Rich just did that with the diary comic, he said so! That was why that comic was late.

So, yeah, if you post a 'spoiler' theory, and he sees it, he might change the plot, but he'll change it because it's, well, too obvious! And there's something cleverer and better he can do instead. So stop fussin'.

If we're really lucky, someday Rich will post his thoughts on 'What Might Have Been', and we can see some interesting alternatives.

Runolfr
2005-06-24, 12:19 PM
11:27 CDT and still no comic.

Whine count +1

Silverblaze
2005-06-24, 12:49 PM

*LOL* Belkar - you go down in the fifth round - if you feel a slight sting - that's just pride messing with you; either that or you got hit by a poisoned dart ;D

kradman
2005-06-24, 01:03 PM
where is the comic?????

my +5 belt of complaining is being put on ... behold!

Nighthawk4
2005-06-24, 01:19 PM
18:30 here. :(

*Presses Refresh button repeatedly* :D

PokeTheBard
2005-06-24, 01:24 PM
You can joke, my F5 key is practically worn away!

Nutmegger
2005-06-24, 01:31 PM
So, other than for plot reasons, can anyone think of why Xykon never bothered to figure out where the other gates were? If it is difficult, then it seems unlikely he will just wander off to his study to figure it out while Redcloak gathers the minions. If it is easy, he should have done it before, just for good measure.

And if this book were so important, why did he just leave it on the shelf there instead of taking it with him to the new location?

sniffles
2005-06-24, 01:33 PM
where is the comic?????

my +5 belt of complaining is being put on ... behold!

I'm trying to stay away from the Belt of Complaining, but this Periapt of Impatience is really chafing....

;D

Adghar
2005-06-24, 01:46 PM
So, other than for plot reasons, can anyone think of why Xykon never bothered to figure out where the other gates were? If it is difficult, then it seems unlikely he will just wander off to his study to figure it out while Redcloak gathers the minions. If it is easy, he should have done it before, just for good measure.

And if this book were so important, why did he just leave it on the shelf there instead of taking it with him to the new location?

Some half-reasonable counterarguements? Well, first of all, Xykon is an absent-minded professer (mad doctor?) that didn't bother with finding the other gates for good measure, firstly because perhaps he didn't think of it, secondly because he knew he would forget later, thirdly because maybe he did do it before and then DID forget.

Second, perhaps it is difficult. Have you ever tried organizing 100 unruly hobgoblins that don't like you into a fully formed, trained, orderly army? I think that the complex mathemagical (I just HAD to use that word!) calculations going into solving the gate locations would be tedious and overwhelming, yet Xykon's a powerful lich so he'd do it quicker than most but be tired out from thinking so much.

Why he left it on the shelf? Hmm... let's see... maybe he was so close to power that he didn't think he needed it? Maybe he thought it would be safer in his study? *shrug*

Bill
2005-06-24, 01:47 PM

He didn't need more than one. OK, the first one burned so he figure out and went to the second. His evil plans were SURE to work there. (He is VASTLY overconfident)

kradman
2005-06-24, 01:51 PM
any idea if complain bonuses stack?;D
i like have the underwear and shirt and socks aside from the belt .. and they are all +5... muhahahah..

where is my god dang comic? need entertainment at work.. this is too booooooring. ?

Nutmegger
2005-06-24, 01:54 PM
He didn't need more than one. OK, the first one burned so he figure out and went to the second. His evil plans were SURE to work there. (He is VASTLY overconfident)

Okay... then in that case, why is he figuring out the remaining gates? One more should be plenty.

Adghar
2005-06-24, 01:59 PM
Third time's the charm. He finally realises that one more won't do.

So he's going to find out TWO more! Booyah!

Runolfr
2005-06-24, 02:15 PM
Okay... then in that case, why is he figuring out the remaining gates? One more should be plenty.

If he locates more than one gate, he can choose the closest and/or easiest to attack.

GreyRat
2005-06-24, 02:36 PM
Okay... then in that case, why is he figuring out the remaining gates?

Gates? Oh, no, he's tying to locate Microsoft's founder, to learn firsthand how to raise and run an evil empire!

Comic- still not up. Blood sugar dropping... Consciousness faiding... Must... keep... going!

Nutmegger
2005-06-24, 02:38 PM
If he locates more than one gate, he can choose the closest and/or easiest to attack.

That would have been equally true before he located the first two gates. By that theory, he should have located all five, and attacked the closest one first.

kradman
2005-06-24, 02:48 PM
That would have been equally true before he located the first two gates. By that theory, he should have located all five, and attacked the closest one first.

seriously people? enjoy the comics dont pick at the plot line... thanks....

p.s: where is the god dang comic???

Nutmegger
2005-06-24, 03:01 PM
seriously people? enjoy the comics dont pick at the plot line... thanks....

p.s: where is the god dang comic???

You think we'd be doing this if there were a new comic to discuss? Anyway, I said in the first place that "except for plot reasons", so I certainly understand the exigencies of the comic. And I do enjoy it greatly. I just had a bored moment and figured I'd get some reactions. Which I certainly seem to have done. 8)

Winged One
2005-06-24, 03:15 PM
I have an idea; why don't you stop refreshing the comics page and just trust the Giant to post when the comic is up? It'll probably save bandwidth, and posting is a good way to relieve boredom.

Nightmarenny
2005-06-24, 03:18 PM
Every....moment...like searing.......evil......spears THE PAIN PAAAAAIIIIIIIN!!!!1

Arquar
2005-06-24, 03:29 PM
The Fairy Modmother: Some people may think that it was funny, but for decency and the sanity of our members, I'm editing this out. Feel free to PM Arguar if you want to see what he had to say on the lateness of the comic.

SimonMoon5
2005-06-24, 03:30 PM
I have an idea; why don't you stop refreshing the comics page and just trust the Giant to post when the comic is up?

So, we should be refreshing the message board thread instead?

;)

Adghar
2005-06-24, 03:31 PM
Geez, someone needs to slap a PG13 sign up over the forums.

Winged One
2005-06-24, 03:31 PM
Yes, it's not as heavy on the bandwidth.

Techonce
2005-06-24, 03:35 PM
He probaly tried the other gates since it was easier to figure out their location. Being a lich, he has a long time, but we have seen how short of an attention span his minions have.

Now that the easy two were destroyed, which he might have deciphered at the same time and picked the closer one in the forest, before being forced to go after the second, he will move on to which ever ones he can figure out next.

Of course now he has 26,100 orcs (assuming 300 per legion) he can probably go after several at once if he trusts Redcloak.

On a side note, "I think I just had an Evilgasm" is the most hilarous thing I have read in a long time...

Nightmarenny
2005-06-24, 03:36 PM
This isn't CoC, we like our sanity!

A line has been crossed.......

Just edited the quote

Techonce
2005-06-24, 03:39 PM
Fuzzy happy bunnies! Yeah that's what this is about...

I'm wanting someone to cast feeblemind on me now... I'm getting all sorts of mental pictures I don't want.

Just edited the quote

Winged One
2005-06-24, 03:41 PM
Possible options:

Poke out eyes with burning stick
Get a lobotomy
Stab self in head
Try not to look

Option 4 succeeded will save made due to excessive multiclassing.

silvadel
2005-06-24, 03:49 PM
Yes they stack, but excessive stacking creates a condition called "forum BO" which tends to make others shrink away in disgust...

Runolfr
2005-06-24, 04:03 PM

He may have just figured out the first two, decided they were reasonably close, and gotten impatient.

cerebus151
2005-06-24, 04:16 PM
Interestingly (to me), in the third panel, I thought that the hobgoblin had called himself "a legion of one," instead of "Legion One," so I did a double take.

Hobgoblins. A Legion of One. :D

Winged One
2005-06-24, 04:18 PM
HAIL THE FAIRY MODMOTHER!

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-24, 04:52 PM
You think we'd be doing this if there were a new comic to discuss? Anyway, I said in the first place that "except for plot reasons", so I certainly understand the exigencies of the comic. And I do enjoy it greatly. I just had a bored moment and figured I'd get some reactions. Which I certainly seem to have done. 8)

Yes there would be overanalyzing even if there was a new comic.

Rambling_Scribe
2005-06-24, 05:14 PM
The Fairy Modmother: Some people may think that it was funny, but for decency and the sanity of our members, I'm editing this out. Feel free to PM Arguar if you want to see what he had to say on the lateness of the comic.

You know, I was briefly curious and thinking of asking. And then I thought of Roy.

"I dream of the day when I will learn to stop asking questions to which I will regret learning the answers."

So never mind.

Winged One
2005-06-24, 05:21 PM
You're right, it was horrible. You really don't want to know.

Runolfr
2005-06-24, 05:27 PM
Time running out... sanity fading... need comic... :'(

Arquar
2005-06-24, 05:28 PM
I apologize if i offended, it was not intended and honestly I thought it was safe ... for those that wish to know
it contained XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX and an evilgasm...

I edited this after a sec due to failing to consult the fairy modmother on this one...

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-06-24, 05:32 PM
I don't understand why the comics are always late. I thought once Rich quit his job he could get ahead and build up a buffer. Well, mabye he has book ordering stuff to deal with. I dunno. Not complaining , just confused.

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-06-24, 05:33 PM
I thought it was safe ...

...says the dwarf with the smoking gun... ;D

Adghar
2005-06-24, 05:41 PM
Frito! *chastise* There's something called the Modify button over the top of each post. Yeah, click that on your post's modify if you want to add something to your previous post. Please. Instead of posting twice. It's really annoying, mkay?

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-24, 05:46 PM
Frito! *chastise* There's something called the Modify button over the top of each post. Yeah, click that on your post's modify if you want to add something to your previous post. Please. Instead of posting twice. It's really annoying, mkay?

Since he was referring to a quote that was made probably right around the time he was making his first post, the second post is just fine.
Especially since his two posts are related to one another
It's when it's gets to be 3 or 4 posts that it's an issue.

Edna
2005-06-24, 05:52 PM
So, other than for plot reasons, can anyone think of why Xykon never bothered to figure out where the other gates were?
Maybe the first two were easy to decode and the others weren't. Or maybe they're all a lot of work, and after all, what are the chances that two secret gates in a row would slip out of his grasp?

Edna

Winged One
2005-06-24, 05:53 PM
Pretty good, actually. ;D

silvadel
2005-06-24, 05:58 PM
What I find funny is last month (when we got over 30 pages of threads) they decided to split this months into two and when they did it made us post twice as often in the thread and it looks like either we will be pushing that limit again or they will end up making a june '05 III ... Maybe they need to do it weekly instead of monthly.

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-06-24, 06:03 PM

<Sheepish look>

Sorry, I usually post on a site that wants you to address each issue with a seperate post...with quote...just habit.

Arquar
2005-06-24, 06:03 PM
oooh thread per comic ... yeah that one

Poeir
2005-06-24, 06:08 PM
The tower was his backup, so Xykon clearly thought he might fail at some point in the future. Probably the reason he didn't decode other locations was because if he had, then he would have had to put the decoded information somewhere. If the directions were complicated enough, they couldn't just be remembered. If he kept them on him, then when his body was destroyed, he would have lost them, and fallen into the "wrong hands" (from his point of view, whether that's groups that would destroy the gate or beat him to them). The same if he left them in his backup tower, or just hid them--doing that risks someone else finding the directions.

Aser
2005-06-24, 06:12 PM
My suspicion is that Xykon can figure out the gates in an efficient manner, or he can toy around with desctruction and mayhem in an entertaining manner. Now should that be true, which would he choose?

Remember how he found his keys in episode #95? It wasn't the efficient way ... or the buffet tables set up for the arrival of our heroes in #104?

Xykon is all about style. Confident, eloquent, well-dressed, and runway-evil!

penguinscanfly81
2005-06-24, 06:18 PM
...says the dwarf with the smoking gun... ;D

Now thats just untrue. It's obviously a gnome that would say that. On second thought, it would be the gnome who neither thought it safe nor unsafe but instead just questioned the current efficiency of said gun while planning to add a flamethrower to the gun for maximum damage.

Ahh, gnomes. Natures perfected darwinists.

Nikolai_II
2005-06-24, 06:19 PM

Erm.. he has said in the FAQ that it makes him "feel the uncontrollable urge to change what happens, just to prove them wrong." In another thread he confessed that the 'uncontrollable' urge was a slight exaggaration and that he could control the urge just fine.

So I would say that it is mostly minor stuff that gets the axe, or stuff far away that the story isn't solid there yet. While he might change solid story as well I doubt that he would take the time doing it just because someone has predicted it. (Unless he thinks the would-be Nostradamus has been really obnoxious about it).

Chris the Pontifex
2005-06-24, 06:22 PM
ok so why are the gates still there in the first place? apparently their destruction is a big deal as Soon(?) is sending (not to confuse with sacrificing) minions to avenge it. i wonder what their function to the good guys is

this whole thread would have been a lot shorter if the comics where on time
0:30 CET and no comic, going to bed soon

(not complaining, just observing)

Nighthawk4
2005-06-24, 06:28 PM
*sigh*

23:35 - time for bed. No comic.

:(

Well - maybe there will be one when I get up tomorrow :D

sniffles
2005-06-24, 06:31 PM
*sigh*

23:35 - time for bed. No comic.

:(

Well - maybe there will be one when I get up tomorrow :D

Lucky you!! It's only 3:40 pm here - I've got hours to go before tomorrow arrives!! :D

kradman
2005-06-24, 07:17 PM
yeah me too... its only 4:30 right now... no comic.. very upset.. I did all my chores.. ... why punish me?

kradman
2005-06-24, 07:42 PM
4:50 ano still no comic... hop all is ok...
::)

Adghar
2005-06-24, 08:13 PM
GAHHHH! Why, why why! So many double-posting-not-grammar-using-R new posters arriving here!

PEOPLE! If you want to say something more after already having posted, PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD click the Modify button in the upper right of your post and add whatever you have to say to your previous post. If you want to bump a topic but were the last one posted, post a post with "bump" in it, remove the post, then MODIFY like I told you before.

And any other Arguar(no offense) sicko-type people that happen to wander in here please remember that we are PG-13 in here. Capische?

Frojoe21
2005-06-24, 08:21 PM
Gahh!!! 8:30pm and no comic. Mouse crushed from hitting refresh too many times. Need...my...Oots...fix....*slumps over*

Maelstrom
2005-06-24, 08:23 PM
Wow, Adghar...the lack of the Friday comic has really got your Forum Mod envy enflamed hasn't it?

One might point out that your response to those threads is an attempt to pad your own thread count...

On topic though...Well not much to comment about as it's now 1730 PST and no comic, filler or otherwise in sight.

Adghar
2005-06-24, 08:26 PM
I dunno... I guess.

Though I don't get what you mean by the comment about thread count?

Everyone calm down. Read through the archives a 10th time, it'll help. Trust me. Then memorize each comic's script. That should give GitP enough time to release the new comic.

Hyro
2005-06-24, 08:27 PM
WHERE"S THE COMIC??????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sktarq
2005-06-24, 08:29 PM
I do that over the weekends and on Tuesdays and Thursdays....I've got them close to memorized and can run you the entire script off the first panel...

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-06-24, 08:36 PM
Adghar,

Walk...away...from the ledge...easy...easy...

Its not like its a term paper or anything... ::) :)

Arquar
2005-06-24, 08:41 PM
great now im the board perv sheesh,

you never know who's lurking near your Hobgoblin horde.

Spork
2005-06-24, 08:46 PM
The Giant... is... so... cruel...

Must... have... my... fix... :'(

Hope everything is alright in the world of the giant ;)

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-06-24, 09:12 PM
Hey Spork...I thought they were now called "Foons" :D

Adghar
2005-06-24, 09:19 PM
Sigh, sad to be sinking to this level, but I already tell people to disregard my post count.

Foons and sporks are VERY different things!

Linky! (http://members.tripod.com/~sporkk/)

Mirromax
2005-06-24, 09:31 PM
i have a feeling that giant is out at one of his parties again....
like the last time this happened, he was in pennsy at a wedding

we should elect an executive to chain giant to his mac the day before and stand there watching him, making sure we get our comics on time.

but if we did that, we could have a new strip every hour or so

::drools at the idea of 10 oots a day::

no, then the quality of the strip will go down.... we mustn't give in to the ootsy delight of 10 oots a day (god a sound like one of those grammar school nurses pointing at the food pyramid)

Ferret_Dragon
2005-06-24, 09:31 PM
I am finding this odd... (and disappointing)

Normally by now the Giant has posted filler....

I wonder if something's wrong.

Sneak
2005-06-24, 09:33 PM
Adghar, you really are addicted to hyperlinking, aren't you. This is getting very off topic.

I'm on OOTS withdrawal, so I'll have to entertain myself by playing N (http://www.harveycartel.org/metanet/downloads.html) (hyperlink!) and watching my stick figure die in various ways.

EDIT: Wow, like 2+ people posted while I was typing this message. :o

silvadel
2005-06-24, 09:38 PM
We would all feel horrible if something actually bad happened to the giant...

The Giant
2005-06-24, 10:24 PM
explanation for no comic is up. probably wont be posting/reading over the weekend, so sorry for lack of comicness.

Flea
2005-06-24, 10:28 PM
Hope you feel better quickly, Rich!

Next time, remember... You may be a Giant, but you're still a stick-figure... Take the drawers out of the dresser next time!!

sktarq
2005-06-24, 10:30 PM
Egads! get better soon.

Sc00by
2005-06-24, 10:32 PM
ouch!

Dude - get better soon.

The_King_of_Durf
2005-06-24, 10:39 PM
Ow, and I thought that I was having a bad day!
Get well soon Rich!
Now I get to look forwards to #200 even more! :)

Sundog
2005-06-24, 10:53 PM
Boy, SOMETHING told me not to whine this time around - hope the pain goes away fast, Giant.

Frojoe21
2005-06-24, 10:55 PM
OOOOH, cliffhanger. Nerts, but get better soon giant. I'll send you a card, perhaps, or maybe a carp?

Perhaps it is an explination to what teh gates are, or back to Roy and the gang.

Jenmoa
2005-06-24, 11:10 PM
Oh, gosh. Hope your hand feels better soon. :(

Winged One
2005-06-24, 11:19 PM
Get well soon, Giant!

Adolfo
2005-06-24, 11:43 PM
I share your pain...except its with my foot, imagine wearing a boot for 8 hours when it is 4 sizes smaller then your foot size...my little pinky will never be the same again.....

Also, this incident somehow makes me reliase 2 things...

1) I'm a fragile left hander
2) Not to stay on the computer too much, one day you may be asked to move a drawer and you have not enough strength, slip and you can't type for a week.....

Arian
2005-06-24, 11:43 PM
Foons and sporks are VERY different things!

Linky! (http://members.tripod.com/~sporkk/)

My reply to this post is here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1119670878 ;start=0#0). :-)

SumGuy
2005-06-24, 11:49 PM
Aww booh...I was hoping to see one more OotS before I left for Baisc Training. :(

Get well soon Rich!

Frito_Butterbuns
2005-06-24, 11:55 PM
Ouch!

Well, its really what you get for killing poor Yik-Yik! ;)

silvadel
2005-06-25, 12:04 AM
I will say something that may or not be unpopular...

Wait to do the next comic until you arent hurting your damaged wrist to do it... It is not worth exacerbating a wrist problem like a bad sprain when your livelihood depends on tons of typing/drawing...

Give it a rest -- we will still be here... If I were you I would wait until at least the independence day holiday.

Sharra
2005-06-25, 12:04 AM
:-[
Get well soon. I hate saying it, but really take your time before drawing again. Your hand is way more important than our angst for more humour.
(Moving tomorrow and slightly scared...)

Eriol
2005-06-25, 12:28 AM

Wait to do the next comic until you arent hurting your damaged wrist to do it... It is not worth exacerbating a wrist problem like a bad sprain when your livelihood depends on tons of typing/drawing...

Give it a rest -- we will still be here...
Ya, health >> all. If it's OK before, well I'm sure we all would love it sooner, but put your wrist's health before a comic.

Get well soon Rich.

sandybright
2005-06-25, 12:31 AM
Yikes, get well soon!

Mirromax
2005-06-25, 12:38 AM
OH COME ON!!! SOMEONE CAST A HEALING SPELL!!! he's a DM for crying out loud. they are invulernable to everything including DM Slaying Longswords of "I'm gonna hit your ass because i said so." (why a dm would put that in I don't know)

A CLERIC! A CLERIC! MY KINGDOM (and by kingdom I mean piece of gum) FOR A CLERIC!

as a side note, it would be a good idea for the giant to have a couple of those comics that are like the letters from us set aside so he can post them if something random like this happens.

Arian
2005-06-25, 12:45 AM
Hey, the Cure X Wounds spells are touch spells. It's a bit hard to heal him from here!

ChEEsemuFFin
2005-06-25, 01:10 AM
get well soon rich! i know how it feels, i've had a broken wrist for two months now and it'll be another month before the cast comes off IF it's been healing right :-/. anyway, you got lucky. Rest up that hand!

sleepyirv
2005-06-25, 01:33 AM
Ouch! Sorry to hear about that Rich.....
Well, I guess 200 is going to be different from the hum-drum 100th strip

atteSmythe
2005-06-25, 01:38 AM
Man, first Pete, now you. Get well, mate!

Speaking as someone who's developing a bit of tendonitis in his right forearm after tearing off a roof last weekend, take ibuprofin to keep the swelling down and invest in some icy-hot. (It's icy! It's hot! I'm not a doctor) Don't use it unless you have to.

Good luck with the rest of the move!

Spork
2005-06-25, 02:54 AM
Hey Spork...I thought they were now called "Foons" :D

You have been replied to in the approprate thread (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=banter;action=display;num=1119670878 ).

Get well soon Giant!

Edit: fixed my link :-[

Jhulae
2005-06-25, 03:24 AM
[Darth Vader] NNnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooo!! [/Darth Vader]

Rest, rest, rest, rest that injured hand.. :)

A_petrock
2005-06-25, 04:36 AM
hey take it super easy with that arm i am a vetern of breaking wrists against trees or concrete.. and i now have tendonitis(sp) from carpentry..

so being dumb is no option for you.. put on a redcloak and find minions(without the whole killing the leader part) and suavely get your bidding done.. george washington and a few of his cousins don't hurt either when briding city officials to ignore you..

if worse comes to worse.. get a pinch hitter, a substitute, replacement killer, a dark apprentice, etc..

then you can calmly give orders while sipping on sweet tea while projects get done..

or last but not least.. look pathetic and helpless.. and talk like Thog "owie arm hurt, i like puppies" and some caring soul will help you out as long as you keep all the gloating and glee from your face..

But absolutely no excessive work.

get well

Nighthawk4
2005-06-25, 05:06 AM
Heal, heal, heal, heal the painfully injured hand

Sorry to hear that, Rich. :(

Take a lesson from Xykon - that is what minions are for - so you don't get injured yourself. :D

Get well soon.

WojtekPod
2005-06-25, 05:48 AM
Giant,

I hope you get better soon!

I agree, health is more important than getting new comic quick.

WojtekPod

PS. My first post here.

Victor_Von_Doom
2005-06-25, 05:50 AM
Ouch! :-X

this remember me the issue 85 of MegaTokyo (http://www.megatokyo.com/index.php?strip_id=85)
:P

The Glyphstone
2005-06-25, 05:52 AM
Get well soon, Giant! Your loyal fans await!

Hey, maybe if we all try hard enough, he could be elevated to a Demi-God and thus immune to injuries such as this...

Lokey
2005-06-25, 06:30 AM
Don't worry, that Philly "cuisine" will have you back in business in no time!

Shame that it took bad news to make me break down and make an account though :-[

Nighthawk4
2005-06-25, 09:06 AM

Give it a rest -- we will still be here... If I were you I would wait until at least the independence day holiday.

I agree 100% with this sentiment. Your health and livelihood are far more important than any question of missing Wednesday's comic. If in any doubt, leave it until Friday, or whenever you feel it is safe.

We can wait - and we will be here when you are fully recovered.

Of course, we might need new F5 keys by then, but we will still be here :D

Get well soon.

Mizak
2005-06-25, 10:15 AM
A sprained wrist and an evilgasm. There is a hidden joke somewhere in there. ;D ;D

Take care Rich, and get your rest. We'll be here franticly reloading our web browsers as we face our withdrawl symptoms. If you notice a spike in your web stats then take comfort that your legion of web minions are in a fetal position in front of their computers rocking back and forth with a drone like stare muttering like Bevis and Butthead the words "hehe he said evilgasm..hehe"

Baatezu
2005-06-25, 10:34 AM
Poor Rich!
The drawer was hit by a drawer
(Puns intended)

Where is a simple 1st level cleric with a cure light wounds spell when you need it?

Winged One
2005-06-25, 11:10 AM
Real Life is a low-magic campaign setting.

AtomicKitKat
2005-06-25, 12:46 PM
I humbly suggest you get that hand insured for $10M. :-[

Nighthawk4
2005-06-25, 05:29 PM
Real Life is a low-magic campaign setting.

Oh, so true - unfortunately :D

Psymon
2005-06-25, 06:07 PM
*Drools*

Tripple length OOTS....

*Drools*

GreyRat
2005-06-25, 07:03 PM
Nah, crawl out of bed and draw that comic now, even if you have to use your toes! Make it snappy, now!
<hits self in head>
Er, I mean, take it easy, Rich. :)

Sigh, this is the second web artist I follow reguilarly who hurt his hand recently, and at least the 4th to have moving-related delays. Coincidence? I think not! Obviously, they know they're being targeted, and are trying to keep ahead of their adversaries. This must be the work of... Somebody's coming! Quick, put on your disguise! 8) Remember, you never saw me...

Adghar
2005-06-25, 11:14 PM
No, no no you have it all wrong. They're pretending that they're injured and then all gathering in Bermuda to discuss plans of repelling the ALIEN THREAT that currently everyone is oblivious to! Yes, they need to take a break from webcomicing in order to become...

Super Artists!

From their base in Atlantis, they protect the world from evil in between strips!

Poeir
2005-06-26, 12:27 AM
So, wait, is it Bermuda or Atlantis?

Mad_Max
2005-06-26, 01:34 AM
Take it easy Giant.

Pharazon
2005-06-26, 07:05 AM
Haven't you heard? Bermuda and Atlantis are the same thing. When Atlantis sunk, al that remained above the surface was the Bermuda Triangle. That's why all the airplanes and ships are disappearing: the Atlantians (and also the Super Artists, apparently) take them down because they need supplies for their under-water-civilization (last I heard, vegetables don't grow that well in salt water), and to defeat the evil forces that threaten our world from within and without.

Oh, and... I hope your hand recovers soon, Giant. But don't let it 'recover' too fast... take it easy.

RebelRogue
2005-06-26, 12:12 PM
Wow, so I go away for the weekend (thinking "The comic is late, but I'll just read it later") and come home today to read this :( So another "Get well soon Rich", from me.

BTW I agree with silverdel, that you should take the appropriate time to get your hand fully healed, Rich. Don't worry about us, we can handle it! (no really, hehe)

Shorty_the_Kobold
2005-06-26, 04:25 PM
I'm wanting someone to cast feeblemind on me now... I'm getting all sorts of mental pictures I don't want.

Just edited the quote

casts feeblemind on Techonce

nightsong
2005-06-27, 01:25 PM
I'm sure many others have already sent the Giant their best wishes, but i'll add mine to the pile *puts good wish into the Giant's mailbox*. hope that wrist of yours gets better *casts cure minor wounds*...didn't work? shucks...

Techonce
2005-06-27, 03:44 PM
casts feeblemind on Techonce

drool..... Ug. drool...

Spork
2005-06-27, 03:48 PM
I'm sure many others have already sent the Giant their best wishes, but i'll add mine to the pile *puts good wish into the Giant's mailbox*. hope that wrist of yours gets better *casts cure minor wounds*...didn't work? shucks...

What, you don't have "cure artist's mangled hand" in your repertoire? I'm ashamed of you ::)

Simonious
2005-06-27, 04:19 PM
Excellent guest comic. I had to squelch my laughter here at work. I'm looking forward to a few fun different looks at OotS! Get well soon Rich, but 'take time with a wounded hand...'

Eriol
2005-06-27, 04:56 PM
Nice guest comic in the general "humour style" of OotS. Far different art, but still, nice humour. Was good.

Again, get well soon Rich.

Xavior
2005-06-27, 05:06 PM
You know, I don't know what sex V might be, but drawn like that, I think I almost don't care. ;)

And as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway! *ducks*

Xavior

Fire_Wolf
2005-06-27, 05:43 PM
You know, I don't know what sex V might be, but drawn like that, I think I almost don't care. ;)
I'm glad you said it. ;)

erisian
2005-06-27, 06:02 PM
And as they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder anyway! *ducks*

*Throws something at Xavior - and throws it low*

Drizzt_Fanboy_74
2005-06-27, 06:06 PM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA The guest comic is HILARIOUS!!!!! I'd say it's on par with one of Rich's works, but the humor is a slightly different style.

Shatteredtower
2005-06-27, 06:24 PM
I quite enjoyed that. Well played. Well played indeed. And while I enjoy the art style of The Order of the Stick for what it is (and may the Giant continue to explore the possibilities available within that style for many years to come), I quite liked the way this interpretation was rendered for all three characters.

It's a shame the Giant had to sacrifice so much that we may benefit so greatly, though.

RebelRogue
2005-06-27, 06:27 PM
Not that I would ever like Rich to change his 'sticky' style, but it's pretty cool to see the OoTS'ers drawn slightly more photorealistic.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of these guest strips (but of course not as much as I look to forward to the real McCoy ;) )

Poeir
2005-06-27, 06:47 PM
Vaarsuvius is probably male in that comic, due to a really subtle detail which probably doesn't apply across worlds. Here on Earth in the Prime Material (conventionally, the real world) men's dress shirts have the button on the right and the covering flap on the left, while women's are the other way around. V's cape has the flap on the left side and the button on the right.

Winged One
2005-06-27, 06:49 PM
Well, that sort of subtle hint means nothing in this sort of thing, because it was obviously drawn by somebody who didn't know about it.

Runolfr
2005-06-27, 06:57 PM
Vaarsuvius is probably male in that comic, due to a really subtle detail which probably doesn't apply across worlds. Here on Earth in the Prime Material (conventionally, the real world) men's dress shirts have the button on the right and the covering flap on the left, while women's are the other way around. V's cape has the flap on the left side and the button on the right.

Unfortunately, the convention of which you speak did not exist prior to the 17th Century in Earthly Europe, so it doesn't really give any clues in a medieval setting such as this.

</SCA-geekery>

Wally
2005-06-27, 07:06 PM
Wow, I wonder what Haley and Belkar look like with some meat on their bones....

Sebastian
2005-06-27, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately, the convention of which you speak did not exist prior to the 17th Century in Earthly Europe, so it doesn't really give any clues in a medieval setting such as this.

</SCA-geekery>
Beside that covention started because men usually right handed) had to be free to draw their weapon without be impeded by their clothes. In a word were female use weapons as pften as males this distinction in clothes would have no reason to be.

Sundog
2005-06-27, 09:47 PM
Besides which, A) that's an English convention that the rest of the English-speaking world has adopted, and B) a cloak is normally buttoned opposite to the way the shirt is buttoned underneath it, to prevent draughtiness.

Of course, the whole question would be moot if we understood V's version of Elvish...