PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick: June '05 II

Pages : [1] 2 3

Winged One
2005-06-15, 12:42 AM
*evil PC laughter*
I have started the thread while you are all refreshing the comic page! Muahahaha!
Well, anyway: When it's updated, discuss it.

Darkspear
2005-06-15, 01:09 AM
I was at a party, came home, and realized that iin a perfect world it would have been updated. But it isn't :'(

I'll check after checking my mail. Hopefully it will be updated

Nighthawk4
2005-06-15, 02:00 AM
Not updated yet - but the Home page has some news. The books might even have reached the UK by now, which is good. Now all I have to do is wait for the Post Office to get off their arses. >:(

Thanks for the update Rich. Pity you could not send Xykon to 'zombify' the shipping agents. It might speed them up a little. :D

The Giant
2005-06-15, 02:27 AM
New strip is up.

Nightmarenny
2005-06-15, 02:28 AM
Its out.

Now get away from me you masosistic freaks! ;D

phlip
2005-06-15, 02:29 AM
Woohoo, new strip!

Poor mysterious thing...
I'd want to bee seen too, if I were him...

Lilly
2005-06-15, 02:32 AM
Yay! New strip!

I really don't know what to say about it. I like the order of xykon, I really do, but I want the stickites back sometime soon or at least the linear guild.

And I feel sorry for the poor little critter in the dark.

"I dunno, I always kinda like Kyle" <--???

iNSOMN14
2005-06-15, 02:36 AM
Got to love the Green Lantern referance... and I always liked Kyle too. Or maybe Jade.

The Giant
2005-06-15, 02:36 AM
The regular OOTSers will be back before strip #200.

Darkspear
2005-06-15, 02:40 AM
Great new strip. I love the Order of Xykon almost as much as the Order of the Stick, but it's nice to know that my favorite wizard will be back soon. :)

sisha
2005-06-15, 03:34 AM
New strip is up.

This is fantastic! The Dark Secret Monster heading
for light, RedCloack worried about XP...

How can born such pearls three times a week?
:)

Silverblaze
2005-06-15, 03:55 AM
Yay! New strip!

"I dunno, I always kinda like Kyle" <--???

Here you go, Lilly ;)

http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/kyle.html

And thumbs on the XP discussion - first time we've seen the bad guys discussing this concept as far as I recall. Good to know that it's not just the good guys (and Belkar ;)) who keeps track ;D

Sundog
2005-06-15, 03:55 AM
Oh, man, I'm still laughing from that one! AT LAST, THE THING-IN-THE-SHADOWS DOES SOMETHING USEFUL! Oh, I've got to do that to a party of Lawful-Goods one of these days...

squishycube
2005-06-15, 03:57 AM
"We do get XP for beating them this way right?"

Priceless, this reminds me of endless discussions I had with my DM about this stuff.

Gez
2005-06-15, 04:14 AM
Was it an androsphinx or a lammasu, the defeated creature in the first panel?

Silverblaze
2005-06-15, 04:25 AM

I'd most likely say "Androsphinx" - too little hair on the head for a "Lammasu"...

Taelas
2005-06-15, 05:04 AM
Great strip. Xykon is quite entertaining.

Binarius
2005-06-15, 05:25 AM
What a great strip, great humor with those lantarn archons...

The Glyphstone
2005-06-15, 05:55 AM
I cackled endlessly for like, 5 minutes. That's insanely funny......"you masochistic freak!"... ;D :D

Great one, Giant!

PokeTheBard
2005-06-15, 06:43 AM
Gdgd. Love Xykon and Redcloak with guest appearances of "Shadow Thingy" played by ?? and Demon Roach played by Himself! Or is it herself?

WHAT GENDER IS THE DEMON ROACH!?! ???

Ozymandius
2005-06-15, 06:43 AM
The gl joke was a chuckle.

Xykon has a mad bluff mod, so he was telling the truth about being a sorceror.

Persephone
2005-06-15, 06:50 AM
The regular OOTSers will be back before strip #200.

Just for the record, while I enjoy Elan & crew, I REALLY get a kick out of Redcloak et al.

Xykon is a riot.

Persephone

Silverblaze
2005-06-15, 06:55 AM
Just for the record, while I enjoy Elan & crew, I REALLY get a kick out of Redcloak et al.

Xykon is a riot.

Persephone

;D Calling the TOotSers for Elan & crew would REALLY put Roy's world upside down *GG*

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=141

RebelRogue
2005-06-15, 07:08 AM

I immidiately thought of it as a Lammasu. That was my initial thought: "Poor Lammasu!" Then I realized the pun on those dungeons we've all created/crawled at one time or another that just contain every single evil creature imaginable, and it totally cracked me up.

GreyRat
2005-06-15, 08:06 AM
"Please?? It's OK if it hurts, I don't mind!"
In our group, there's a psion who has an ability called Empathic Transfer: Hostile; it allows him to 'give' an enemy the wounds he's taken, healing the psion an equal amount, but he can only do as much damage as he's taken himself. It leads him to follow a warped kinda strategy, but it's refreshing to see a primary spellcaster who doesn't mind taking a couple hits. "Hmm, only 24 pts? Guess I'll let him hit me one more time." ;D

AtomicKitKat
2005-06-15, 08:22 AM
Xykon has a mad bluff mod, so he was telling the truth about being a sorceror.

He's a lich/undead. They get mad Charisma. Plus the GM might give him a permanent circumstantial bonus on Bluff(or a penalty on opponent's Sense Motive), since it's hard to read emotions on a skull.

*eyes bleed from Green Lantern quote*

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-06-15, 09:30 AM
I laughed aloud when I read the Green lantern joke...

I've got to say that Redcloak has quickly become my favorite character.

I added the OotS url to the Web Links section of Flames Rising so everyone can enjoy!

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com

Adolfo
2005-06-15, 09:56 AM
Haha, for once another person who like "pain".

I'm not angry and him, I also want to see his face......but I finally found a person who shares my ideas 8)

I like the army(insert maniacal laughter here)

Sneak
2005-06-15, 10:02 AM
Hilarious. Too bad though, I want to see what the shadow thingy really is.

PokeTheBard
2005-06-15, 10:16 AM
Rich simply CAN NOT reveal the Shadow's true identity because the whole point of the joke is that (s)he's in the dark. Revealing him/her would not only take something away from the comic but would leave everybody disappointed. There isn't a monster that would well suit the roll that its needed for.

That and besides as soon as he steps out of the darkness he'll be arrested. God damn copyright lawyers...

Starla
2005-06-15, 10:42 AM
Rich simply CAN NOT reveal the Shadow's true identity because the whole point of the joke is that (s)he's in the dark. Revealing him/her would not only take something away from the comic but would leave everybody disappointed. There isn't a monster that would well suit the roll that its needed for.

That and besides as soon as he steps out of the darkness he'll be arrested. God damn copyright lawyers...

So you are saying the shadow is the Xykon/Redcloak team version of Vaarsuvius?
I think true comedic timing will show when the appropriate time for the shadow thingy to step out. It depends on how far Rich is going to take Xykon/Redcloak. If Roy will always have them as arch-enemies then you may be right about the shadow thing. But we also see that there is a larger plot beyond Xykon so if Roy does kill him only to find out the larger plot, then gains other enemies in the process (which Rich has done in the past) then it is possible that we will see what the shadow thingy is. We will see him when Xykon thinks he is winning the and is ready to pull out his star baseball player...

I am curious about the Linear guild. Once Oots emerges from the forest were they going to encounter them before Roy gets his sword fixed? Or will Oots encounter the blue guy first? Or will the blue guy follow Oots back out of the forest only to encounter the Linear guild and Oots duking it out again? SOooo many possibilities!

sisha
2005-06-15, 10:45 AM

Maybe the monster in the shadow is just Rich himself, or a kind of Rich Alter-ego....

Jokes apart,
I wait for the comic where that monster will find
another one of the same kind, but opposite sex...
;D

Eric_The_Mad
2005-06-15, 10:56 AM
What I love about Xykon and Redcloak is the look behind the curtain at how the Bad Guys operate when not dealing with pesky PC types. I think I've laughed harder at Xykon's lines then any other character except for Belkar's. I mean, "Is there nothing that sacrificing minions won't solve?" line has got to be a classic.

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-15, 11:21 AM
Rich simply CAN NOT reveal the Shadow's true identity because the whole point of the joke is that (s)he's in the dark. Revealing him/her would not only take something away from the comic but would leave everybody disappointed. There isn't a monster that would well suit the roll that its needed for..

It's very similar to the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. Tarantino has said many times he would never tell what was originally supposed to be in it, because the ideas people have come up with on their own would be much better.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-06-15, 11:34 AM
Way to metagame there shadow. He knows Rich can't reveal the shadowy creature so when he goes out of his way to get hit, Rich must create a hilarious way to get out of revealing it.

PokeTheBard
2005-06-15, 11:39 AM
So you are saying the shadow is the Xykon/Redcloak team version of Vaarsuvius?

Lol, no. I'm just saying that being in the dark, you cannot tell what gender the shadow is.

And the Demon Roach duo. You knew back with the Roach Motel comic that one was male and one was female but there is no indication as to the current roaches' genders...

silvadel
2005-06-15, 11:39 AM
Very good one -- man is the monster in the dark enthusiastic about coming out....

The bad guys should get out more -- how are they supposed to get any exp just sitting in a tower and throwing minions at heroes? Gotta love them actually adventuring for once. What is really interesting here is Redcloak and Xy might level out of this...

Oh, and you do not have to hurry on our account -- I wouldnt mind if we followed the bad guys even to comic #210.

And it definitely makes me think that if Belkar could see all of this, he would probably have at least some thoughts towards switching sides...

Nanaki
2005-06-15, 11:45 AM
This is gonna be really nerd, but i have to say it... i loved the Green Lantern reference... ;D

There, i'm a über-nerd...

RawBearNYC
2005-06-15, 12:24 PM
Maybe the monster in the shadow is just Rich himself, or a kind of Rich Alter-ego....

Well, Xykon thinks that the monster in the shadow, once fully revealed will be super scary, and I can't tell you how not scary Rich is, so, not likely. I'm guessing it's a naked Roseanne Barr (or whatever her name is now).

Starla
2005-06-15, 12:41 PM
Lol...Roseanne Barr

But I was sure the monster in the shadows is male...It makes the pink umbrella funnier. Thats why I made the gender V reference. Now are there going to be threads about the gender of the Shadow Thing? ??? :P :-X

I don't think we need another gender discussion one is enough.

RawBearNYC
2005-06-15, 01:03 PM
Lol...Roseanne Barr

But I was sure the monster in the shadows is male...It makes the pink umbrella funnier. Thats why I made the gender V reference. Now are there going to be threads about the gender of the Shadow Thing? ??? :P :-X

I don't think we need another gender discussion one is enough.
Roseanne is manly enough to pull it off :p

Grimmwulf
2005-06-15, 01:06 PM
The floating ball of light says "Run!"? Haha. :)

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-15, 01:31 PM
I'm guessing it's a naked Roseanne Barr (or whatever her name is now).

See there is a perfect example of an idea that someone else comes up with is definitely more frightening than anything in the Monster Manual, or any D&D literature.

And now I must go soak my head in acid to remove the imagery from it

Andorax
2005-06-15, 01:34 PM
First off...thank you for splitting the June thread. This thread just gets way too long nowadays in a single month.

That aside, it all makes perfect sense now. The OOTSers are gaining XP, leveling, becomming more powerful. In order for Xykon and co to continue to present a serious threat when they meet again, they need to be leveling up too.

PokeTheBard
2005-06-15, 01:38 PM
In reply to the "Sending minions to their deaths at the hands of heroes gives no exp" point... yes it does! It's kind of like a "Ranged" attack lol. Of course you only get the exp if you have the minions successfully kill the heroes...

mastroyo
2005-06-15, 01:39 PM
"The regular OOTSers will be back before strip #200."

Well, maybe this has been discused, but...
Do you think RIch has a script or something about what's gonna come? If so, It's a turnoff... 'couse i've always believed that OoTS was somewhat improvisated...

(forgive my english...)

Dragon_Rider
2005-06-15, 01:45 PM
Rich has said before that he plans the strip ahead of time, that is how he can have so many plot twist, and have you thinking "Wow, thats why this happen back in the beginning." he also said that he knows the last strip's materials. Wheteher that means he has planned it up to the end, I do not know.

phlip
2005-06-15, 01:53 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq27

In short, the general plotline is written far in advance, but the individual strips are not.

Also, note that while he says he knows what the last panel of the last strip will look like, he may or may not know what the penultimate panel of the last strip will look like ;)
It could be something like in strip #120 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=120), a final panel unrelated to the story. (Of course, it may not be, we'll have to wait and see. Personally I'm happy to wait for quite some time.)

Psymon
2005-06-15, 02:00 PM
Heh heh, Belkar sure changed his mind from strip 121!

PokeTheBard
2005-06-15, 02:09 PM
Yeah, this has already been brought up. Click here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1116595251 ) to read it.

Gez
2005-06-15, 02:19 PM
See there is a perfect example [Roseanne Barr] of an idea that someone else comes up with is definitely more frightening than anything in the Monster Manual, or any D&D literature.

And now I must go soak my head in acid to remove the imagery from it

Don't be too quick to assume that! The Fiend Folio featured the Roseannebarriluth:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50144.jpg

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-15, 03:28 PM
Don't be too quick to assume that! The Fiend Folio featured the Roseannebarriluth:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/ff_gallery/50144.jpg

Yes but that isn't nude. As Roseanne was in Raw Bear's post.

Dragon_Rider
2005-06-15, 03:30 PM
Yes but that isn't nude. As Roseanne was in Raw Bear's post.

No the picture is not nude, but who's to say that under the shadows, the creature realy isnt nude. Wizards obviously could not put a picture of that... thing... nude...

EDIT: Did i miss something? Becuase i do not get the "Kyle" reference from the demonic roaches.

whmice
2005-06-15, 03:46 PM
i looove oots!
when i first saw it it was strip ~160 and i started from the begining and just couldnt stop till i got to the last one.
its brilliant! its wonderus!
its oots!
and i cant wait to see what the 'hooded monster' is :o :D
( i need a lmao smilie)
d

Runolfr
2005-06-15, 05:26 PM
EDIT: Did i miss something? Becuase i do not get the "Kyle" reference from the demonic roaches.

"Kyle Rayner" is the secret identity of one of the various incarnations of the DC comic book character, Green Lantern.

The slogan of the Green Lantern Corps...

"In brightest day, in darkest night, no evil shall escape my sight. Let those who worship evil's might, BEWARE MY POWER....Green Lantern's Light!"

Vroomfondel
2005-06-15, 05:51 PM
*Delurk over really trivial issue*
I'm pretty sure the monster in the first panel is a lammasu, because that would make lantern archon next in alphabetical order, if that's how they (who is this "they", anyway) are getting all the good monsters in the MM into the dungeoun/
*/delurk*

erisian
2005-06-15, 06:10 PM
Oh my, that's a great point. The monsters are in alphabetical order ... if that's true, that's fantastic!!!

Runolfr
2005-06-15, 06:40 PM
Of course, the first monster they encountered -- the Half-Celestial -- didn't start with an "A", but otherwise they have been in alphabetical order as we've seen them.

RebelRogue
2005-06-15, 08:02 PM
I'm sure her name was Anna ;)

Winged One
2005-06-15, 09:32 PM
You know, Xykon and co. could be a group of opposing PCs a la the campaign I'm in(link in sig).

Gez
2005-06-16, 04:22 AM
Oh my, that's a great point. The monsters are in alphabetical order ... if that's true, that's fantastic!!!

But that would mean they've already faced Flumph (:)), Ghaele Eladrin, Great Gold Wyrm and Hound Archon... And they're preparing to face Leonal Guardinal.

Fire_Wolf
2005-06-16, 05:44 AM
Of course, the first monster they encountered -- the Half-Celestial -- didn't start with an "A", but otherwise they have been in alphabetical order as we've seen them.
She could've been an Angel?

Q
2005-06-16, 06:38 AM
Angel, Half.

Perhaps? ;D

Nikolai_II
2005-06-16, 07:14 AM
Or just "Angel; 5th level Half-Celestial Fighter" - would explain why Xycon's name begins with an X - he is supposed to be an "end-of-dungon" monster ;D

GreyRat
2005-06-16, 08:18 AM
Or just "Angel; 5th level Half-Celestial Fighter" - would explain why Xycon's name begins with an X - he is supposed to be an "end-of-dungon" monster ;D
Oooh, that would narrow down the possible species for the Hidden Weapon: Yeti? He's too smart for a Zombie. ;)

Oh maybe he's just named Zachary: "Hello, I'm Zach, and I'll be devouring you this evening. Would you rather be consumed with nutmeg or parsley?" ::)

Shatteredtower
2005-06-16, 09:37 AM
I was more amused by the fact that something yellow was quoting the second version of the Green Lantern oath myself. Now the challenge is to figure out if there's a way the Giant can get a treant or the like to refer to Alan Scott's original oath. ;)

And we already know who the Shadow is. Or maybe we don't, but--

--The Shadow knows...

Beamup
2005-06-16, 11:03 AM
I'm pretty sure the monster in the first panel is a lammasu, because that would make lantern archon next in alphabetical order, if that's how they (who is this "they", anyway) are getting all the good monsters in the MM into the dungeoun/
*/delurk*
Unfortunately the MM lists the Lantern Archon under "Archon," not "Lantern," so it really doesn't work.

Nikolai_II
2005-06-16, 11:34 AM
Unfortunately the MM lists the Lantern Archon under "Archon," not "Lantern," so it really doesn't work.

So?

Maybe the DM had all monsters of the dungeon arranged in an excel file in the order of encounter, then accidentally pressed "sort alphabetically" and didn't notice until after the first few encounters and is now winging it on the fly.

Else.. look at my sig ;D

(Maybe their MM is not sorted by general type in any situation ;))

PokeTheBard
2005-06-16, 12:09 PM
You can zap me in the face, i'll be flatfooted and everything! C'mon, I just want to be lit up!

The words of a desperate shadow-dweller.

Oh, and isn't it weird that Redcloak refers to a Monster Manual? It's like being evil gives you an automatic 20 ranks in knowledge: you're in an RPG

Slyz
2005-06-16, 02:27 PM
Ya'know, I'm betting that the thing in the shadows in an invisible stalker. Or possibly an etheral creature, or some other form of monster that you cant see anyway.

Either that or its actually just a shadow monster and we're seeing it exctly as it is

RebelRogue
2005-06-16, 02:41 PM
Then how do you explain the zombies the party encountered before Xykon? :P

SimonMoon5
2005-06-16, 03:17 PM
Oh, and isn't it weird that Redcloak refers to a Monster Manual?

It seems reasonable to me. After all, in the real world, there are plenty of books describing all the varieties of birds or insects or whatever. I could imagine someone making a killing in the D&D world by selling a manual describing all the commonly-encountered monsters in the universe.

Beamup
2005-06-16, 03:28 PM
Either that, or it's just that any given character knows what they need to know for Rich to make the joke he wants to make.

If he wants to make a joke about the MM, the characters have to know about it. It's just like the OotSers knowing all about levels, XP, and so on.

Ravenlord
2005-06-16, 04:04 PM
Oh, and isn't it weird that Redcloak refers to a Monster Manual? It's like being evil gives you an automatic 20 ranks in knowledge: you're in an RPG

Somewhere here I read: being good means you're a trusting dumwit, being bad means you got (some) brains.

Now proven twice. ;D

Nikolai_II
2005-06-16, 04:17 PM
Then how do you explain the zombies the party encountered before Xykon? :P

Goblin Zombies, Human Zombies or Ogre Zombies? ;)

-

And who was surprised at Redcloak knowing about the MM? It's not as if the OOTS haven't read the PHB extensively.. (Class features happily discussed etc)

KreenWarrior
2005-06-16, 04:28 PM
I don't really see the difference between referring to the MM and referring to being updated to 3.5, like in the first strip.

Grey Watcher
2005-06-16, 05:29 PM
Ya'know, I'm betting that the thing in the shadows in an invisible stalker. Or possibly an etheral creature, or some other form of monster that you cant see anyway.

Yeah, I was noticing, in my print-copy of OotS, that with the gradient shadows, you can still see the floor directly beneath the Thing In the Darks Eyes, which means it's either floating, or is actually invisible anyway. (Darkness not withstanding.)

Penguin
2005-06-17, 12:52 AM

Actually, she could very well have been an Aasimar(part-celestial), so... :p

sisha
2005-06-17, 02:46 AM
All this thread about monster sorted alphabetically crash over the famous rule:

Let A be the monster you find on T1, and B the creature you find on T2. If T2>T1, Then B will be a harder (more powerful) monster then A.

There is another rule, called "Great Last Monster" that says:

Let Z be the monster found on T3, and there is not Tx so that the party can find monster on Tx>T3:
Z will be the most powerful monster of the dungeon, and usually will be much more powerfull of all.

Varsavious is my myth.

;D

shadowdemon_lord
2005-06-17, 04:22 AM
wow, awsome strip. The baddies are just going to keep getting more powerful, or maybe not. Lantern Archons are pretty low on the power level. I wanna see how they deal with something powerful, like a celestial deva.

Slyz
2005-06-17, 05:13 AM
Actually, i think Xykon has plenty of experience to go on. Hes killed Hordes of Ogres in #37, Everyone he threw in the gate, Conquored a Hobgoblin Tribe in #149, and between the bouulders on the trail, the monster guarding the tower, and the various goody-goodys inside the tower he's probably killed another 20-50 hobgoblins.

In fact, given that he dosn't believe that there's anything killing his minions can't solve, I bet the order of Xykon is about tied with the order of the stick for goblins/hobgoblins killed.

Pvednes
2005-06-17, 06:41 AM
Actually, i think Xykon has plenty of experience to go on. Hes killed Hordes of Ogres in #37, Everyone he threw in the gate, Conquored a Hobgoblin Tribe in #149, and between the bouulders on the trail, the monster guarding the tower, and the various goody-goodys inside the tower he's probably killed another 20-50 hobgoblins.

In fact, given that he dosn't believe that there's anything killing his minions can't solve, I bet the order of Xykon is about tied with the order of the stick for goblins/hobgoblins killed.

I don't think there's all that much XP in intentionally sending one's minions to their deaths.

Muisje
2005-06-17, 06:53 AM
Role-play XP. ;)

Bogotter
2005-06-17, 07:36 AM
*/delurk*

See I'm pretty convinced that the monster in panel 1 is a Shedu. It's got the same silly beard and everything.

http://www.planetadnd.com/interactive_books/shedu.gif

Gez
2005-06-17, 08:16 AM
The Shedu has an equine or boving body, while the dead creature has a lion's tufted tail. Plus, the shedu isn't in the MM (in 3e, it's in the Fiend Folio), while the lammasu is. Lammasi are bearded too, but androsphinxes typically aren't, so I think it's a lammasu.

Yeah, I was noticing, in my print-copy of OotS, that with the gradient shadows, you can still see the floor directly beneath the Thing In the Darks Eyes, which means it's either floating, or is actually invisible anyway. (Darkness not withstanding.)

Or it could be a graphical bug, what with Rich just using the eyes rather than drawing the monster to then obscure it wholly with the shadow area... After all, it has happened that characters mysteriously got their hands or feets missing on a pic, and then back in place in the next. :)

GreyRat
2005-06-17, 08:58 AM
Or it could be a graphical bug, what with Rich just using the eyes rather than drawing the monster to then obscure it wholly with the shadow area... After all, it has happened that characters mysteriously got their hands or feets missing on a pic, and then back in place in the next. :)
I think this is simply one of the natural laws in a Stick-Figure universe. Like the fact that I can never keep any individual pen in my penholder for more than a couple days, and yet there's always something to write with on my desk.

(Hey Bogotter's back! Welcome back, oh moderating mustelid!)

Wren
2005-06-17, 11:23 AM
Wait.. DO they get xp for defeating the monster that way?

Sneak
2005-06-17, 11:33 AM
I don't think they would get any XP, because they didn't actually kill them, they just made them run away. If something runs away, you wouldn't get XP, or at least not in the way you normally would.

erisian
2005-06-17, 11:39 AM
I am putting forth the theory that the shadow monster is a Grue ... and noone knows if Grues levitate or fly, so that could also account for the floor showing up.

Sundog
2005-06-17, 11:40 AM
I would give it to them. Just as I would if they walked around an encounter invisible. They defeated the encounter, if not the monster.

Sc00by
2005-06-17, 11:40 AM
I don't think they would get any XP, because they didn't actually kill them, they just made them run away. If something runs away, you wouldn't get XP, or at least not in the way you normally would.

You should still get _some_ XP for successfuly negotiating the encounter.

Sneak
2005-06-17, 11:44 AM
I'm not sure that would be negotiating. They didn't really negotiate. They might get some XP, but not as much as they would've normally for actually defeating or negotiating with them.

Sc00by
2005-06-17, 12:04 PM
damn the English language

from dictionary.com:

A 1. To transfer title to or ownership of (a promissory note, for example) to another party by delivery or by delivery and endorsement in return for value received.
2. To sell or discount (assets or securities, for example).

B 1. To succeed in going over or coping with: negotiate a sharp curve.
2. To succeed in accomplishing or managing: negotiate a difficult musical passage.

I was thinking of the B usage...

RawBearNYC
2005-06-17, 12:05 PM
I'm not sure that would be negotiating. They didn't really negotiate. They might get some XP, but not as much as they would've normally for actually defeating or negotiating with them.
I would call it a bizaare form of intimidation, and just as worthwhile as negotiation.

Sc00by
2005-06-17, 12:07 PM
(at the risk of being accused of spamming :( )

RawBear - any sign of a comic? ;)

PokeTheBard
2005-06-17, 12:10 PM
I would like to act completely out of character (probably due to lack of webcomics...) but I AGREE! *gasp* *woman in audience faints* There's no oots goodness :'(

Ok, i'm done. Back to being anti-spam/doublepost/flaming.

Ciao.

Jevanyn
2005-06-17, 01:14 PM
You should still get _some_ XP for successfuly negotiating the encounter.

Not to nitpick a nitpick, but the way the rule is applied is, if you defeat an opponent without killing it (e.g., turn an undead so it runs away), you get half the normal XP. You get the other half if you re-encounter the same creature and kill it. This may be DMs' discretion, though: it could be the intent that you win the encounter by bluffing/intimidating the opponent.

The joke here is that NPC's, especially villains, don't get XP from encounters. Redcloak is parodying a player.

Ashlock
2005-06-17, 01:15 PM
(Hey Bogotter's back! Welcome back, oh moderating mustelid!)
I think it's funny that it takes a Shedu to make Bogotter reappear. ;D

Bogotter
2005-06-17, 01:16 PM
I fly to Shedu like a moth to a flame!

RawBearNYC
2005-06-17, 01:19 PM
(at the risk of being accused of spamming :( )

RawBear - any sign of a comic? ;)

I haven't talked to Rich today, so I have no idea what's going on, you spammer, you.

Runolfr
2005-06-17, 01:21 PM
Obligatory whine.

Greebo
2005-06-17, 01:27 PM
Obligatory whine.
Obligatory cheese.

Gaithwain
2005-06-17, 01:27 PM
Whine seconded, do I hear a motion to get the comic up?

Django
2005-06-17, 01:30 PM
Second! lets prod Rich like an obstinate heiffer!

AdInfinitum
2005-06-17, 01:55 PM
"I dunno, I always kinda liked Kyle."

I don't get it.

Gez
2005-06-17, 02:05 PM
"I dunno, I always kinda liked Kyle."

I don't get it.

I didn't got it either, but several people have already explained it's a reference to some comics entitled Green Lantern, because the lantern archons were paraphrasing some motto from that comic. Sheesh, there's what, only 7 pages to read before posting! ;) ;D

The Giant
2005-06-17, 02:31 PM
Sorry about the delay. What's going on is this: The next two comics are going to be keyed in heavily to The Plot, and at the last minute I decided to switch a major portion of what that Plot is going to be...forcing me to redo most of today's comic. And then, I fell asleep before finishing it.

But I'm awake now, and am back working on it. Should be up by 5:00 pm EST.

The_Meal
2005-06-17, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the update, Rich.

And to complete my bifecta (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1117599935 ;start=450#457) of comments on late comics of late...

"Hey, stop screwing around back there. We're on a schedule."

:D

~Neal

GreyRat
2005-06-17, 02:44 PM

"Trust, trust, trust, trust that there's a valid reason for the delaaayy." :)
Else there shall be much (more) whinging and mockery. ;)

Grey Watcher
2005-06-17, 02:50 PM
Sorry about the delay. What's going on is this: The next two comics are going to be keyed in heavily to The Plot, and at the last minute I decided to switch a major portion of what that Plot is going to be...forcing me to redo most of today's comic. And then, I fell asleep before finishing it.

Ah, the elusive Plot! Rarest of the rare, it is difficult to see, even more difficult to capture, impossible to predict! To the hunt my friends! :grabs stereotypically Victorian safari hat and jacket and an oversized butterfly net:

I wonder, is this change an attempt to avoid a prediction of ours that he read?

GypsyThorn
2005-06-17, 02:52 PM

Okay, so now we know. But I don't know if I feel better knowing. The problem for me is now I have to start wondering what the plot switch is going to be.

Could it be...

Someone dying?

Or is Elan going to change his hair color, in which case it would be....

Someone dyeing?

Or does the OOTS group get out of the water-soaked part of the dungeon, in which case it would be...

Someone drying?

Two more hours....

Flea
2005-06-17, 02:54 PM
And we already know who the Shadow is. Or maybe we don't, but--

--The Shadow knows...

The Shadow creature is Lamont Cranston??? :o

Lilly
2005-06-17, 02:54 PM
Ah, the elusive Plot! Rarest of the rare, it is difficult to see, even more difficult to capture, impossible to predict! To the hunt my friends! :grabs stereotypically Victorian safari hat and jacket and an oversized butterfly net:

I wonder, is this change an attempt to avoid a prediction of ours that he read?

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

But he says he tries not to read them!

Darkspear
2005-06-17, 02:59 PM
I have absolute faith that the wait will be worth it.

Yes, I said absolute, and I mean absolute.

mastroyo
2005-06-17, 03:01 PM
All work and no OoTS makes Jack a dull boy.
and so on.
:o

Greebo
2005-06-17, 03:06 PM
Ah, the elusive Plot!
The what?

Beamup
2005-06-17, 03:31 PM
Not to nitpick a nitpick, but the way the rule is applied is, if you defeat an opponent without killing it (e.g., turn an undead so it runs away), you get half the normal XP. You get the other half if you re-encounter the same creature and kill it. This may be DMs' discretion, though: it could be the intent that you win the encounter by bluffing/intimidating the opponent.
Um, no. The rule is that, if you deal with an encounter by any means, you get full XP. Kill them? Full XP. Capture them? Full XP. Talk them into letting you pass? Full XP. Make them run away? Full XP. Sneak around them? Full XP.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-06-17, 03:32 PM
Sigh,
Lets be blunt
I'm a little distracted
What do you want?

Headaches and bad faith
are all that I got
First I misplaced the ending
Then I lost the plot

Nuke
2005-06-17, 03:43 PM
Um, no. The rule is that, if you deal with an encounter by any means, you get full XP. Kill them? Full XP. Capture them? Full XP. Talk them into letting you pass? Full XP. Make them run away? Full XP. Sneak around them? Full XP.

Right idea. Not entirely true, or your wording is slightly misleading. You run away from the encounter, no xp. It's any encounter that you overcome, not just one that you face. The method you overcome it doesn't matter though.

King_Troll
2005-06-17, 03:45 PM
... the horrendous Black Beast lunged forward, escape for Arthur Roy and his knights group seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart nap attack. ...

Frojoe21
2005-06-17, 03:54 PM
Beware the giant foot and all its mighty powers. Ooooh, so impatiant. Alas, there is little poor Frojoe can do about it unless...I make the comic.

Then deal with the massive legal pressure put on by Rich for plagarism. Ahh, I guess I must wait.

silvadel
2005-06-17, 04:01 PM
Any chance we could SOMEDAY (not necessarily soon) see the alternate comic that was complete before it was changed? Would be neat.

Gez
2005-06-17, 04:12 PM
Alright, EST is GMT -5, so 5 PM EST is 17 EST is 24 GMT, I'm in a GMT+2 zone (actually GMT +0, stupid daylight saving time) so it's 22 around here.

*look wrist watch, then PC clock, then other clocks*

Damn!

kradman
2005-06-17, 04:17 PM
... the horrendous Black Beast lunged forward, escape for Arthur Roy and his knights group seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart nap attack. ...

thats it Im counting to 3 and the strip better be loaded!
1.... 2..... 5...
three sir! oh right... 3

damn you!!!! where is it?

Rambling_Scribe
2005-06-17, 04:35 PM
While waiting for the new strip, I was rereading the previous one. I noticed that one of the demon roaches said something about prefering 'Kyle'.

Who is Kyle?

Actually I have two other questions as well:

What does 'mulch' mean?

What is the Sage's dog's name?

;)

The Giant
2005-06-17, 04:44 PM
It's up now. Behold, the (mild) cliffhanger!

Lilly
2005-06-17, 04:47 PM
Oooh Shiney! It's all part of the perils of keeping character journals.

Jevanyn
2005-06-17, 04:51 PM

That's a mild cliffhanger? Remind me not to eat the salsa at your next barbecue.

Runolfr
2005-06-17, 04:51 PM
Aaaah... OotS goodness.

Could Serini Toormuck be a childhood friend (or enemy) of Belkar?

Or is that just too obvious?

Xick
2005-06-17, 04:52 PM
haha

"wait is that who i think it is?"

"yes it is! Hitler!"

who else would an evil madman who wants to rule the world want to imitate?

Lawful_Stupid
2005-06-17, 04:52 PM
Figures, it had to end right as soon as Shadowy Creature Thing said, "Wait...is that who I think it is?" Now I'm gonna be going crazy all weekend long because of that!

Darkspear
2005-06-17, 04:57 PM
I'm gonna go crazy over the weekend trying to figure out if Serini is friends with Belkar (because of the Halfing thing) or if she knew Haley or a member of the Starshine family (because of the rouge thing).

I don't suppose I could get a hint? PLEASE ;D

No? Ok, off to Morrowind playing go I

Mr._Blinky
2005-06-17, 05:00 PM
And so the plot thickens...

Who was the halfling friends with?
Who was the halfling?
What is Xykon's master plan?
WHAT IN ALL THE HELLS IS THE SHADOW CREATURE!?!

Find out some or none of this in Mondays installment of:
THE ORDER OF THE STICK

Wanderer
2005-06-17, 05:01 PM
Sigh,
Lets be blunt
I'm a little distracted
What do you want?

Headaches and bad faith
are all that I got
First I misplaced the ending
Then I lost the plot
Newsboys.

Ahem... CLIFFHANGRRRRR! >:( ;)

Gez
2005-06-17, 05:03 PM
Yay! Just in time before I go to bed!

I figure the grey dragon was a Silver. And there are still hogboblins around, impressive work! Though the metallics are rather weak for their size, compared to the chromatics (because they're bigger for the same age category, so for the same size category, they're younger).

I like the comparison between the "Tome of Clear Thoughts" and "Dianetics"! Though, to be honest, "Dianetics" does hold the secret to ruling the world, too... (Or at least, a very big cult present everywhere in the world.)

Eriol
2005-06-17, 05:05 PM
**snip**

Edit: Put that comment in the thread below for it.

Awesome line: "Please! In the grand scheme of things, this book makes the "Tome of Clear Thought" look like "Dianetics".

Aerysil1
2005-06-17, 05:12 PM
Let's see...

The friend is Frodo and he's still on his way to Mordor, and Xykon wants the One Ring for himself.

Wait.... no.

Starla
2005-06-17, 05:14 PM
I'm gonna go crazy over the weekend trying to figure out if Serini is friends with Belkar (because of the Halfing thing) or if she knew Haley or a member of the Starshine family (because of the rouge thing).

I don't suppose I could get a hint? PLEASE ;D

No? Ok, off to Morrowind playing go I

Oh come now....The likelihood of Rich revealing the name of Serini's acquaintance or that Serini knows Belkar on Monday is very small. This is not like when Belkar was hanging and the hilt kills the man pulling the switch. If Rich wanted to he could leave us in suspense and cut back to Oots or the BG or the Linear Guild on Monday. It took 120 strips to get through the dungeon of Dorukan. Do you really think Rich will resolve everything with in the next 25 strips (if that is even the number he is going for, for the next book)? Heck Roy still needs to fix his great sword. Besides that Xykon doesn't know Belkar's name he only remembers Roy because Roy hurt him.

Edit: Oh yeah and I almost forgot to mention. Just because they are both halflings does not mean they knew each other. That is like this senario:
"I am from San Diego."
"Oh really, do you know John Smith?"
There are 9 million people in San Diego!
Plus if Xykon has the halfling's diary the halfling is probably dead. Xykon doesn't tend to have a lot of living friends.
Plus Xykon is how old? There could be a generation gap between Serini and Belkar. Please don't anyone suggest they are related....
Enough said.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-06-17, 05:17 PM
I only have one thing to say:

Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!

Falrin
2005-06-17, 05:18 PM
Its obvious, the halfling knows noone else than Rich himself. I mean, who else would you need to take over the world? come on.

cerebus151
2005-06-17, 05:43 PM
MMMmmmmm.... sweet plot advancement.....

;D

KidNarcolepsy
2005-06-17, 05:43 PM
I'm still half-convinced that it's a reference to some obscure character that we should recognize, like Tasslehoff Burrfoot's third cousin, twice removed, or some such. Grr.

Psymon
2005-06-17, 05:44 PM
Cool!

A couple of things i wanted to say: I cant wait for mondays comic!

Whoever made that joke about rich's salsa - now that was funny! laughed my tea out through my nose.

I also dont expect this to be resolved anytime soon, and I agree that a childhood friend of Belkar is a bit unlikely i doubt Belkar would have provoked quite such a reaction from the creature in the dark.

Victor_Von_Doom
2005-06-17, 05:45 PM
Mmmm
Halfling thief... a friend very powerfull...

Could be a DragonLance quote?

Tasslehoff Burrfoot and Raistlin Majere? o_O

Stryker14
2005-06-17, 05:55 PM
I think that the rogue in the book may have indeed been the first worshiper of the great.......Banjo. I think the real question here is what sect is the true sect....

Matuse
2005-06-17, 06:03 PM
What does 'mulch' mean?

Mulching is the process of inbred fertilization which employs certain decomposed organic materials--including but not limited to animal sediment---to blanket an area in which vegetation is desired. The procedure enriches the soil for stimulated plant development while, at the same time, preventing erosion and decreasing the evaporation of moisture from the ground.

Yes, I did dig up one of my copies of Groo to get the exact phrasing right.

What is the Sage's dog's name?

Mulch.

I figure the grey dragon was a Silver. And there are still hogboblins around, impressive work! Though the metallics are rather weak for their size, compared to the chromatics (because they're bigger for the same age category, so for the same size category, they're younger).

That's not a very valid comparison though. The correct comparison is between age groups, which puts the chromatics as larger and more powerful. The dead silver is clearly a pretty young one. It's tiny!

As for the cliffhanger, what do you want to bet that today is the last time we see Xykon & Co. for at least 10-15 strips?

noneill
2005-06-17, 06:22 PM
The first thought that popped into my head was Regis the Halfling and his powerful friends Drizzt, Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie and Bruenor form the Crystal Shard and all the early Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Ravenlord
2005-06-17, 06:25 PM
Crap. Now I can spend my weekend walking up and down trying to figure out who is that friend... o.O

BurntOfferings
2005-06-17, 06:26 PM

Ack! No cliffhangers over weekends, my nerves can't take it! :o ;)

Unpleasant
2005-06-17, 06:31 PM
My guess:

Not anyone we have met yet. It is whoever the employer of the cloaked Samurai is.

Simply, none of the characters intriduced so far have the power to take over the world or any good hints that they might be able to.

The diary contains valuable information, a secret weakness or incriminating evidence. The employer knows X has it and assumes the OotS picked up from his horde when they killed him the first time.

ThatAWay
2005-06-17, 06:46 PM
I myself doubt the halfling in question is in any way related to OoTS. It simply doesn't make any sense. But if the plot was revised to include it, it could be anything.

In case you're wondering, Dianetics is the opposite of any form of clear thought.

silvadel
2005-06-17, 07:26 PM
Could always be xylons own journal -- would be interesting if he was a thief in life and only became a sorcerer after becoming a lich... Would explain his strong bluff/intimidation/etc type of skills.

Winged One
2005-06-17, 07:42 PM
Well, the Tome of Mighty Google (www.google.com) contains nothing about this "Serini Toormuck", so I'm thinking the Giant made him/her up.

Olik
2005-06-17, 07:54 PM
This comic just keeps getting better and better. :)

Pvednes
2005-06-17, 08:03 PM
Yay! Just in time before I go to bed!

I like the comparison between the "Tome of Clear Thoughts" and "Dianetics"! Though, to be honest, "Dianetics" does hold the secret to ruling the world, too... (Or at least, a very big cult present everywhere in the world.)

It's more the secret to untold riches. If you want wealth, start a religion.

Mr._Blinky
2005-06-17, 08:07 PM
The first thought that popped into my head was Regis the Halfling and his powerful friends Drizzt, Wulfgar, Cattie-Brie and Bruenor form the Crystal Shard and all the early Icewind Dale Trilogy.

... and a total of four other series...(seventeen books, all of which I own) ;)

Could always be xylons own journal -- would be interesting if he was a thief in life and only became a sorcerer after becoming a lich... Would explain his strong bluff/intimidation/etc type of skills.

Wouldn't explain though why he was NEVER A HALFLING!

Also, I think we're gonna' be seeing some of the Linear Guild soon. Also, I doubt we'll be seeing any more of Xykon and Co. for a while.

Nutmegger
2005-06-17, 09:19 PM
Don't suppose any of you with fancy anagram programs have tried figuring out if her/his name is an anagram for anything...

Josh_Kablack
2005-06-17, 10:17 PM
Yes. Yes it is.

No. I don't know what yet

Rune Took Crimes?
Rookies Rum Neck?
In Trucker Moose?
O Mink Court Seer?
Sire Moon Tucker?
Cue Stinker Room?

Otuitundururo
2005-06-18, 01:11 AM
Perhaps this halfling Toormuck was once a companion of Dourkon himself! Then it would only stand to reason that Toormuck would write about all the things Dourkon did to hide and protect those gates.

Still, I have a hard time explaining how the Shadowed Monster would recognize Dourkon.

PokeTheBard
2005-06-18, 05:35 AM

In the flashback (can't remember which strip) of where it shows Roy's dad in a magic or possibly glass dome or something, with his mentor and Xykon fighting, and the mentor dying, Xykon is magic user and alive. Though it is possible that Xykon took a few levels of Rogue, it is very unlikely given Xykon's magical ability at the time of the fight (in order to kill Greenhilt's mentor) so I would rule out it being Xykon's journal.

That and a BIG point... Xykon isn't a halfling!

There IS a character who could take over the world we've seen before... ODIN! (And his Son Thor)

Ed: That first frame jogged my memory too! Page 85 of the Monster Manual 3.5e.

Orc/Hobgoblin 1: Shh! we can sneak past it, it'll never know!

Orc/Hobgoblin 2: Hehe, stoopid dragon...

Gold Dragon: WTF!?

phlip
2005-06-18, 05:40 AM
There IS a character who could take over the world we've seen before... ODIN! (And his Son Thor)
Don't forget Banjuhlu!

Sundog
2005-06-18, 07:58 AM
"...are key to our overarching plotline. I mean, Villainous Plan."

Normally, breaking the fourth wall is amusing. Only in OOTS is it hilarious!

Eslington
2005-06-18, 09:08 AM
The diary contains valuable information, a secret weakness or incriminating evidence.

Pretty much what I was thinking.
"Is that who I think it is?"
"Yes the queen of the most powerful elven nation in all the world!"
"... And it's in the 'scandalous love affairs' section of the book too."
"Blackmail isn't just an opportunity for terrible armour name puns you know."

Manave_E_Sulanul
2005-06-18, 09:57 AM
Don't forget Banjuhlu!

And all the other gods of course.

(Though, I am currently invisioning several "Belkar...I am your mother" moments. :-P .... or father.)

KidNarcolepsy
2005-06-18, 11:36 AM
Don't suppose any of you with fancy anagram programs have tried figuring out if her/his name is an anagram for anything...
I thought about trying that, but one problem reared its ugly head: none of the anagram websites out there have fantasy character names in their dictionaries. Could always try doing it by hand, though...

Not anyone we have met yet. It is whoever the employer of the cloaked Samurai is.
To quote the great sage and eminent philosopher Thog the Barbarian: Thog reluctantly forced to agree.

AlienBob
2005-06-18, 02:13 PM
Y'know, I was just re-reading the comics, and...in comic #9, Elan took the girdle of feminity/masculinity. I wonder what he did with it? ???

Put it on V-man, Elan!

Also, in note to the current comics, I'm a believer that stick-Szass Tam will pop up. Dual liches!

Circon
2005-06-18, 04:26 PM
Might want to watch it there. The Church of Scientology is very lawsuit-happy.
(Of course, I still think Rich is justified (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu) is poking fun at them.)

The Glyphstone
2005-06-18, 07:20 PM
We already know what the book is. it's the diary of a halfling thief/rogue.

Shatteredtower
2005-06-18, 11:50 PM
May I compliment Redcloak for his remarkable grammar in the last panel?

Now I just have to figure out how knowing who the halfling's pal was will help them. I mean, say she was close to Thor. How does this help you if she's been dead for decades?

I can't say that she is dead, though one would have to wonder if she'd part with her diary otherwise. I'm also curious as to why Xykon knew enough to know that the diary contained such valuable information, but still needed the diary.

I suppose it works if the diary also contains the means to make that information relevant. I think I'll leave the thought at that.

Taelas
2005-06-19, 04:16 AM
There must be a connection between the Dungeon of Durokan and the halfling's friend, seeing as it's key to Xykon's 'villainous plan'.

PokeTheBard
2005-06-19, 05:07 AM
Xykon's age might help work this out. He has been a Lich for 30 years, he was an old(ish) man when he fought the mentor of Daddy Greenhilt and so id say roughly 60.

In one of the ghostly visit comics, Roy's dad says "Oh right, he's a skeleton i" implying he must have been human for a while whilst Roy's dad was avenging him etc. Say 10 years has past? That makes Xykon 100 approx. Bearing in mind he's a human of that time, thats quite a long time.

I'm guessing he didn't even know of the halfling for the first 20 years and when he did it took him about 5 to find the halfling and it's diary. That halfling would already be adult, so is in the next 75 years probably going to be dead.

Beamup
2005-06-19, 02:10 PM
Right idea. Not entirely true, or your wording is slightly misleading. You run away from the encounter, no xp. It's any encounter that you overcome, not just one that you face. The method you overcome it doesn't matter though.
No, it is entirely true - I think you maybe didn't read carefully. As I said, you have to deal with the encounter. If you ran away, you didn't.

wolf_mage
2005-06-19, 05:42 PM
Might want to watch it there. The Church of Scientology is very lawsuit-happy.
(Of course, I still think Rich is justified (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu) is poking fun at them.)
Please tell me that page is a joke. Intergalactic Walrus? Blowing up souls with hydrogen bombs?

Just when I thought I was beginning to see a limit to the stupidity of humanity...

Nightmarenny
2005-06-19, 06:56 PM
Please tell me that page is a joke. Intergalactic Walrus? Blowing up souls with hydrogen bombs?

Just when I thought I was beginning to see a limit to the stupidity of humanity...

There is no limit man. Humanity as a whole sucks. Only idividurals are smart.

Anyone want to take a last guess on who the Diary guy is we should do it know. We have like 5 or 8 hours depending.

The Glyphstone
2005-06-19, 07:42 PM
That's assuming we find out tomorrow. It'd be just like Rich to shift back to LG or OotS for a few frames.

Sneak
2005-06-19, 07:44 PM
That's assuming we find out tomorrow. It'd be just like Rich to shift back to LG or OotS for a few frames.

Yeah, and he said we would get back to the Order before #200, but he didn't specify how long before #200.

evileeyore
2005-06-19, 09:04 PM
There is no limit man. Humanity as a whole sucks. Only idividurals are smart.

Anyone want to take a last guess on who the Diary guy is we should do it know. We have like 5 or 8 hours depending.

I predict it has nothing to do with Durokan, Belkar, or anyone as of yet introduced.

Wait, it may involve the Creature in Shadow. Maybe.

mastroyo
2005-06-19, 09:54 PM
Well, you know what I think it is?
After a while, my Monty Python experience has tought me that, when you don't know what to expect.. what comes?

The Spanish Inquisition.

Why? Because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

So? Whenever there's something to be expected, I think of the Spanish Inquisitiion....

I'm a geek you know... ;D

Chris the Pontifex
2005-06-19, 09:57 PM
I predict it has nothing to do with Durokan, Belkar, or anyone as of yet introduced.

Wait, it may involve the Creature in Shadow. Maybe.

its a mirror

Nightmarenny
2005-06-20, 02:36 AM
Waiting, waiting, waiting........... for the next strip that probably wont even finish the clifhanger

kerberos
2005-06-20, 03:48 AM

Nah, they didn't blow up the souls with H-Bombs, just the bodies. It really isn't any more bizare than creationism.

deathregis
2005-06-20, 03:53 AM
The Blue Samurai's master is totally Soon.

Circon
2005-06-20, 03:59 AM
So now we know the history of the gates!

I wonder what Redcloak did...

P.S. Scientology mentions an intergalactic walrus as part of their religious doctrine, for everybody watching the thread and wondering why it's being referred.

Nightmarenny
2005-06-20, 03:59 AM
Man that was great. Soon looks awsome. Oh its up for those who are thick.

So now we know the history of the gates!

I wonder what Redcloak did...

Some sort of spell involving fire or a dropped match

The diary is the best part "I bet he just want into her magical gate" ;D

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 04:05 AM
The Blue Samurai's master is totally Soon.

I very much agree on this - colour and culture seem to fit the picture perfectly. Still - he has greyish tones in his hair, plus he looks both human and somewhat older than Dorukan did - and that was 65 years ago. If it's Soon, he must either be rather old by now, or have cheated time somehow - which in the world of TOotS isn't entirely impossible of course ;)

Nerd-o-rama
2005-06-20, 04:11 AM
Secrets are revealed, and thickens does the plot. Hmm...too bad Dorukan's dead. Ah, well. I wonder what we'll find out about the rest of the group...

"What 'gate' do you guys keep talking about?"

Sonething tells me the Giant has had bad experiences with Spot checks...

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 04:12 AM
Btw - it's not like Rick to not let us sizzle a bit more before letting us in on the contents of the diary ??? I would have thought that with a cliffhanger like that, he would have spent at least a couple of uploads on making us squirm ;D

BUT this is not to be mistaken for a complaint - I mean even PCs are pleasantly surprised by their GM every now and then ;) Only when that happends it's usually time to be extra careful ;D

kerberos
2005-06-20, 04:34 AM
I very much agree on this - colour and culture seem to fit the picture perfectly. Still - he has greyish tones in his hair, plus he looks both human and somewhat older than Dorukan did - and that was 65 years ago. If it's Soon, he must either be rather old by now, or have cheated time somehow - which in the world of TOotS isn't entirely impossible of course ;)

He could also be the blue samurais master.

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 04:48 AM
He could also be the blue samurais master.

??? That was the point I was agreeing with deathregis on ??? (if you read the quote on the top of my earlier posting...

kerberos
2005-06-20, 04:51 AM
??? That was the point I was agreeing with deathregis on ??? (if you read the quote on the top of my earlier posting...

Sorry I somehow got the impression that you thought he was the blue samuria himself. I guess I just can't read. :-[

phlip
2005-06-20, 04:54 AM
I like the annoying-yet-cleverly-placed speech bubble in the first panel... the text is talking about sealing something with a magical door... but what?

It's subtleties like that that are why I love this strip :D
Oh, also the humour of course. Humour is always good. Like the Scooby Doo reference.

Anyone else notice the similarities with OotS? Halfling, dwarf, elf, 3 humans? Also, for some reason I think Girard looks like Nale... Probably just the smirk.

Sc00by
2005-06-20, 04:58 AM
"I would've got away with it too if it wasn't for those meddling kids!"

Xyklon is such a scoobydoo villian too...

Bets on the skull being a mask and it's really the caretaker? ;)

Great stuff!

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 05:01 AM
Sorry I somehow got the impression that you thought he was the blue samuria himself. I guess I just can't read. :-[

No harm no foul ;) The reason I spoke of the colours was that you could just see the edge of BG's master http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=120 and that BG carries the same colours of said master ;)

AtomicKitKat
2005-06-20, 05:12 AM
Anyone else notice the similarities with OotS? Halfling, dwarf, elf, 3 humans? Also, for some reason I think Girard looks like Nale... Probably just the smirk.

It's totally the goatee.

nihil8r
2005-06-20, 05:29 AM
But ... why didn't a blue samurai come after Xykon after Lirian's gate was destroyed?

:-/ :-/ :-/

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 05:33 AM
But ... why didn't a blue samurai come after Xykon after Lirian's gate was destroyed?

Good question - It may be that it had been attributed to a natural forest-fire. Xykon's own magic might have hidden his and Redcloaks precense... Still - that only speculation... And who knows; a blue samurai might have come after Xykon - and we just still haven't seen the blue samurai zombie that was the result of it ;)

GeeVee
2005-06-20, 05:38 AM
This is one of the better comic strips ever made.

The first panel is one of the best ever.
Yay for plot and funny!

Psymon
2005-06-20, 05:44 AM
Sweet plot advancement!

I totally reckon Soon is the MBG's master, he even has the same boots, though that doesnt prove anything.

Im somewhat surprised that Rich didnt leave us hanging for a few weeks!

I got a shiny new avatar! Thanks Sneak!! EDIT: Its not working?!?!?!

Nikolai_II
2005-06-20, 06:28 AM

I'll agree with Silverblaze, more or less.

A blue samurai was probably sent, but the forest fire (while it was destroying the gate) also eradicated all / most traces of foul play - also, since it was the first gate lost it was probably judged an accident.

now we have the second gate destroyed in a short time and possibly Durokan also sent some sort of message that he was in some sort of trouble before going forth to meet with Xykon (and possibly his fate), so Soon now had reason to suspect something was amiss when the second gate was destroyed so soon after the first.

The Giant
2005-06-20, 06:49 AM
Im somewhat surprised that Rich didnt leave us hanging for a few weeks!

One of the things I hate about certain other webcomics is that there is never any advancement or resolution of plot points. So while I am careful to dole out such information in small doses, I do actually want to tell the story behind everything eventually. I had fun with my little cliffhanger, but the whole point of this Xykon interlude has been to disseminate the information in today's strip. It would be counterproductive of me to not have then done so.

Sneak
2005-06-20, 07:19 AM
Hilarious! http://www.giantitp.com/mb/YaBBImages/laugh.gifhttp://www.giantitp.com/mb/YaBBImages/laugh.gifhttp://www.giantitp.com/mb/YaBBImages/laugh.gif

"Look, it was an accident! Ok? Let it drop already! Geez!

"What "gate" do you guys keep talking about?"

Lol.

GreyRat
2005-06-20, 08:11 AM
One of the things I hate about certain other webcomics is that there is never any advancement or resolution of plot points. So while I am careful to dole out such information in small doses, I do actually want to tell the story behind everything eventually. I had fun with my little cliffhanger...
As I've mentioned, I like a cliffhanger. I don't even mind a few weeks' hiatus as long as I trust the storyteller to give me a good ending. I think in the next book, Rich should indicate which strips appeared on a Friday so people know when to take a two-day break from reading. :-/ ;)

And now we know Xykon's evil- he's reading someone else's diary! Rat b*st*rd! If he digs into her secret stash of halfling foot fetishes, I'm gonna grind him up for calcium supplements!

Aerysil1
2005-06-20, 08:26 AM
I have a question for Giant. I've always wanted to ask this of an author developing a plotline:

Did you have this backlore set up from the very beginning, or did it evolve over time as characters and events developed?

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 08:30 AM
Aerysil - when you go to a magicians show, you never go backstage to make him tell you his secrets, do you?! ;)

Aerysil1
2005-06-20, 08:31 AM
I don't know, is it a secret?

I'm not asking for the rest of the backlore, just if it was always there.

The Giant
2005-06-20, 08:37 AM
I have a question for Giant. I've always wanted to ask this of an author developing a plotline:

Did you have this backlore set up from the very beginning, or did it evolve over time as characters and events developed?

Most of this developed in my mind around the time Sylvia first explains Dorukan's disappearance in #71. Before that, it was just a random dungeon that I had named "Dorukan"; I wasn't even certain that Dorukan was a person and not a place or organization. A lot of it started due to my need to explain why Xykon would be living in a dungeon that had large vaults with magically-warded treasure that he hadn't just kept for himself.

Some details didn't become solidified until today, though, such as the names of some of the characters in the picture or what they looked like.

Frojoe21
2005-06-20, 08:42 AM
Well, the forest fire thing was absoulutely hilarious. In one game I was in, I did something similar, and that caused many, many problems.

In any case, I think we found a little clue to the identity of the blue boy.

Grey Watcher
2005-06-20, 09:43 AM
I'll agree, Soon's outfit matches what we've seen of the Blue Boy's Master, and his expression as rendered in the Diary matches the attitude we see. (All work and no play.) I love that Dorukan, this ancient, backdrop figure in the Stickiverse is labeled "New kid." And I like the reference to the crush Toormuck had on Gerard. :-) I can't wait to see his castle. :-)

Also, I evidently female dwarves can grow beards, but don't always. (Hilgya has no beard, but Kraagor is clearly labeled "Mean grrrl." I used to love the bearded lady thing for dwarves. :-)

Most of this developed in my mind around the time Sylvia first explains Dorukan's disappearance in #71.

Don't you mean Celia? ;)

Sundog
2005-06-20, 09:46 AM
Does look like it. And by-the-by, who says a Blue Dude of Vengeance wasn't sent after Redcloak? If he wound up in the Dungeon of Dorukan he might have A) been gobbled by goblins B) been zapped by Xykon C) been eliminated by Elan (when he blew the mountain) lor even D) been terminated by traps. He might be good, but he's only one guy.

phlip
2005-06-20, 09:56 AM
Also, I evidently female dwarves can grow beards, but don't always. (Hilgya has no beard, but Kraagor is clearly labeled "Mean grrrl." I used to love the bearded lady thing for dwarves. :-)
To me it looks like "Mean! Grr!" But I'm not sure. It's kinda hard to make out.

Ooh, I just noticed, the mysterious blue dude's master referred to him as "young one" in #120... I wrote it off as just that the blue dude is an apprentice or something, but it could also be that he is a relatively new guy, replacing the one that was lost "bathing his blades in the blood of" Redcloak.

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 10:00 AM
Just a bit puzzled here... Aerysil - Both your #202 and #204 list your total as 47 posts ???

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 10:01 AM
And I'm stuck on 38 it seems ???

SimonMoon5
2005-06-20, 10:10 AM
When you view a previous post, it gets updated with current info, such as current number of posts.

Silverblaze
2005-06-20, 10:16 AM
:-[ Ok - Now I know there is a reason that I haven't been booted from this place due to lack of intelligence - I seriously want to find out just what that reason is - might be that Tome of Clear Thought should make it to my wish list...

Thank you for enlightening me, SimonMoon5 :)

Beamup
2005-06-20, 10:23 AM
Well, the forest fire thing was absoulutely hilarious. In one game I was in, I did something similar, and that caused many, many problems.
And this comes up right as Five Foot Steps involves a big fire. Is Rich a closet pyromaniac by some chance? ;)

Runolfr
2005-06-20, 10:24 AM
Y'know, I was just re-reading the comics, and...in comic #9, Elan took the girdle of feminity/masculinity. I wonder what he did with it?

With Rich's track record of long-range planning and continuity, I suspect it will pop up at a critical moment in the future, possibly even enabling Elan to foil a major villainous plot.

Wanderer
2005-06-20, 10:41 AM
Hmm... am I the only one whose eyes were drawn to the lines "...he third fissure. Lirian is already...nd on about some way to seal the...th a magical door or something..."

"Fissure" at least to me, indicates that the opening that the gate leads through actually existed before the gate was made. So... the gate was designed to stop something from coming through that fissure, either from the other side, or to prevent something on this side from GOING through.

Whatever it is, there's something there that has existed long before the gate was made, and was dangerous enough that this group of adventurers was compelled to make seriously powerful high-level artifact type-things in order to block it off.

Why yes, I do get overly fascinated by story details, why do you ask? ;D

Platinum_Mongoose
2005-06-20, 10:58 AM
With Rich's track record of long-range planning and continuity, I suspect it will pop up at a critical moment in the future, possibly even enabling Elan to foil a major villainous plot.

I wonder if it works on a lich...
Or a shadowy secret weapon! ;D

phlip
2005-06-20, 11:10 AM
Hmm... am I the only one whose eyes were drawn to the lines "...he third fissure. Lirian is already...nd on about some way to seal the...th a magical door or something..."

Filling in the blanks, I think it says:

"...the third fissure. Lirian is already going on and on about some way to seal the ... with a magical door or something"

Irritatingly, I'm not sure what goes in that last blank, and it's probably going to be a major plot point, as I said before (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=comics;num=1118810557 ;start=180#190)...

Nikolai_II
2005-06-20, 11:30 AM
Filling in the blanks, I think it says:

"...the third fissure. Lirian is already going on and on about some way to seal the ... with a magical door or something"

Irritatingly, I'm not sure what goes in that last blank, and it's probably going to be a major plot point, as I said before (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?action=display;board=comics;num=1118810557 ;start=180#190)...

My guess would be 'nexus' or something like that, short, ambigious but usually powerful ;)

edit: Other issues in the thread that I overlooked:

Kragor = Male, "Mean! Grr!", else it would be "Meanl Grrl", which makes less sense..

Xykon -> Grinding -> Calcium Supplements = Hmm.. a "get rich quick" scheme if I ever saw one.. endless calcium from a regenerating Lich.. :P

Pvednes
2005-06-20, 11:47 AM
Notice the similarity between tOotS and Dorukan's group. Then compare again to the bizzaro OotS (Linear Guild).

Gruffish fighter,
Effeminate wizard,
Hot chick,
Halfling,
Random Dwarf
Charismatic Unbuckler of Swash, or something along those lines.

GreyRat
2005-06-20, 12:06 PM
You know, if I figure out a way to bridge the dimentional gap between our world and Stick-verse (maybe using those Gates I've heard so much about!), I'm gonna get all those poor females some shirts that can actually cover their belly buttons.
And I'll bring a Speedo for Elan. ;D

It'd be amusing to slap the Gender-Bender belt on V, who would go from being androgenous to... androgenous. But androgenous in the opposite way. ;) It reminds me of when my group found a pair of magical pants, and couldn't identify them at the time. We were convinced they were a gender-swapping item, and were daring each other to try them on. Why we thought this, I cannot recall, but it was fun.

Nerd-o-rama
2005-06-20, 12:10 PM
Actually, they compare pretty well to the Order as well, except for swashbucklerish-man's goatee.

phlip
2005-06-20, 12:18 PM
But androgenous in the opposite way. ;)
So... gynoandrous? Which would mean much the same thing, if it was a real word?

GobalinKing
2005-06-20, 12:35 PM
Yeah, really good comic. Gotta love the running gag of the shadowy thing being clueless. I thought we'd back to the Order by now just so Rich could leave us hanging, but I guess he proved me wrong ^_^

Also, check out the fancy new avatar.

Pathfinder
2005-06-20, 12:38 PM
I wonder if the ressemblance between this party, the OOTS and the Linear Guild isn't more a comment on the stereotypical make-up of a D&D party than a direct parallel. 4-6 members, half of them human (elves, dwarves and halflings being the three nonhuman species that have been in the game since the beginning). A fighter, at least one magic user of some type, a cleric, a rogue, and a bard. If you had to come up with a 'typical' party, this is what you'd end up with.

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-06-20, 12:40 PM
I wonder if we will come across the others in the diary. Is blue boy's master one of those guys?

Lilly
2005-06-20, 12:56 PM
What edition do you think the party is? 1st maybe?

We know at least one stickite has a family member that adventured in 1e. And was a thief, and a red head.

The timeline dosen't work out very well, but maybe a generation back?

Lord Herman
2005-06-20, 01:08 PM
We already know Haley's father is called Ian, but Girard may be related to her. After all, all redheads are related. Not necessarily to each other, though.

Runolfr
2005-06-20, 02:15 PM
I wonder if we will come across the others in the diary. Is blue boy's master one of those guys?

Comparing OotS #120 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=120) to OotS #196 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=196)...

Boot color: check
Cape color: check

As others have already noted, Blue Guy's master appears to be Soon, from Serini's diary.

Taelas
2005-06-20, 02:17 PM
Hmm. I wonder what classes the Durokanites are?

Durokan is obviously a wizard/sorcerer/arcane magic user or something.
Soon's *got* to be a samurai with that beard and those shoulders.
Serini is a rogue.
Lirian is probably a wizard/sorcerer as well.
Kraagor totally looks like a barbarian to me.
So that leaves Girard to be a healer of some kind... possibly a paladin if he isn't a cleric.

Aerysil1
2005-06-20, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your reply, Giant.

I'm of the school of thought that a pre-developed backstory makes for a stronger sense of consistency and a more genuine sense of discovery. I don't know if the makers of The Matrix had all three movies outlined from the beginning, but the 2nd and 3rd movies didn't go at all the way I thought they would, given the way the first one played out. It made me wonder if they modified the priority of characters and mythology after the response to the first movie.

I also don't know how much Lucas had outlined for the prequels when he started filming Episode IV.

In both cases, the events of the later movies just didn't feel consistent with the earlier ones.

Anyway, nothing has felt inconsistent about OoTS from my perspective. I was just curious.

Thanks again!

Taelas
2005-06-20, 02:19 PM
What edition do you think the party is? 1st maybe?

We know at least one stickite has a family member that adventured in 1e. And was a thief, and a red head.

The timeline dosen't work out very well, but maybe a generation back?
The diary said 'Halfling Rogue'.

Runolfr
2005-06-20, 02:24 PM
So, what shall we call Dorukan's old adventuring group? The Gate Guardians, perhaps?

How many of them might still be around?

Lirian's gate is destroyed, so Xykon and Redcloak have probably already dealt with her.

Dorukan is a more-or-less confirmed kill.

Serini's diary has fallen into Xykon's hands, which doesn't bode well for her.

The fates of Girard and Kraagor are unknown. Girard would be pretty old by now, but Kraagor is a dwarf, so he should still be pretty vigorous after only 65 years. If they're still alive, they're probably still guarding their own gates.

I think we can see that Xykon will soon be going after Soon, Girard, or Kraagor to get control of another gate. I wonder which it will be...

Nikolai_II
2005-06-20, 03:47 PM
So, what shall we call Dorukan's old adventuring group? The Gate Guardians, perhaps?

Gate Keeper(s) ;)

whmice
2005-06-20, 04:01 PM
mr. shadow creature is so cute you should make a suffed animal out of him....or would it be a stuffed shadow?

Lilly
2005-06-20, 04:04 PM
Gate Keeper(s) ;)

Then who's the key master(s) ;)

nihil8r
2005-06-20, 04:05 PM
mr. shadow creature is so cute you should make a suffed animal out of him....or would it be a stuffed shadow?

It would be a black koosh ball with eyes.

The Giant
2005-06-20, 04:37 PM

Sorry, it's "Mean! Grr!" The typeface used for Serini's handwriting has a crappy exclamation point.

Don't you mean Celia? ;)

Hey, they're my characters, I'll change their names when I feel like it! And damn you for paying attention anyway!

Starla
2005-06-20, 04:51 PM
Durokan is obviously a wizard/sorcerer/arcane magic user or something.
Soon's *got* to be a samurai with that beard and those shoulders.
Serini is a rogue.
Lirian is probably a wizard/sorcerer as well.
Kraagor totally looks like a barbarian to me.
So that leaves Girard to be a healer of some kind... possibly a paladin if he isn't a cleric.

I thought Lirian was a healer. She has a neclace like Durkon's and it would be foolish for a party not to have a healer.
Dorukan is obviously a wizard/sorceror. He is wearing a pullover and circlet like V and he has a staff that could be magic.
I think Girard is the bard. They are supposed be suave. Plus that would parallel Oots. Rogue likes the bard.

Keep in mind this is Serini's drawing so they are depicted from her point of view.

Did anyone else notice the Scooby Doo reference:
"Which I would have opened by now if it weren't for those meddling kids" :D

I hope we get to see Xykon's attempts to decode the other locations. I hope we get to try and figure them out too. In newspaper comics the writer sometimes would get audience participation by having them send in names for a new character...

Eriol
2005-06-20, 04:51 PM
I'd buy one.

;)

The_Shadow
2005-06-20, 04:57 PM
I'm still just astonished that the shadow-creature managed to make a Spot check and recognize Dorukan. :) (And a younger version of him, no less.)

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-20, 05:55 PM
I'm still just astonished that the shadow-creature managed to make a Spot check and recognize Dorukan. :) (And a younger version of him, no less.)

I'm sure the word Dorukan with the arrow pointing at him was a big circumstance modifier.

UnHoly_Ram
2005-06-20, 05:56 PM
I'm sure the word Dorukan with the arrow pointing at him was a big circumstance modifier.

And that's assuming that the Shadow thing was referring to Dorukan. Which he might not have been.

Eriol
2005-06-20, 06:11 PM
So what classes are all of Dorukan's pals?

My guesses:

Serini: Rogue. Besides the bow on her back, the journal is TITLED "The Life and Times of Serini Toormuck, Halfling Rogue."

Dorukan: Wizard or magic-user of some type. Staff, magic in the fight with Xykon, etc.

Kraagor: Fighter or Barbarian perhaps? He's carrying an axe, so go with that where you may.

Geraurd: Bard? Not certain, but something about the "look" of him makes me think that.

Lirian: Something about her makes me think "Healer" of some type. Perhaps lack of another obvious candidate, and her actions in the journal.

Soon: You got me. Ideas?

Feel free to pick apart, or come up with your own ideas. Just figuring that OotS has a Fighter, Ranger, Rogue, Bard, Wizard, and Cleric, so you'd think this has to have the same roles covered... maybe.

Sneak
2005-06-20, 06:16 PM
Um, if you look back a few pages maybe, you can find some guesses.

And check in the Sealed Predictions thread.

Grey Watcher
2005-06-20, 06:42 PM
Sorry, it's "Mean! Grr!" The typeface used for Serini's handwriting has a crappy exclamation point.

That would explain why I went around for a while thinking there was a seventh party member named Mel.

Chris the Pontifex
2005-06-20, 06:47 PM
... Kraagor is a dwarf, so he should still be pretty vigorous after only 65 years. If they're still alive, they're probably still guarding their own gates.

you forgot to mention Soon, who being a high level samurai / monk will have the timeless body classfeat
will have grown in wisdom --> power, by gaining age levels, without losing on the physicals

fear the venerable monk

ps. also check out the new av

GreyRat
2005-06-20, 06:50 PM
I don't know about character class, but I'm sure Dorukan was a bachelor; when he fought Xykon, he was still wearing his old adventuring robe! You know a wife would have thrown 'that old bathrobe' out long ago. ;)

DarkCloud
2005-06-20, 09:18 PM
I'm certain someone has mentioned this before, but check out: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=13

"...created by the Mad Lich Xykon."

or were just the monsters created by him :D