PDA

View Full Version : What.

Seraph
2008-01-09, 10:54 PM
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/01/sc4-darth-yoda.jpg

WHAT. (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165334)

WHAT.

Ettlesby
2008-01-09, 10:56 PM
This...this has to be a joke...

...Something tells me this is real, though.

...I'm just somewhat shocked.

I don't know what to say.

Malic
2008-01-09, 11:12 PM
This is going to be the strangest mix up ever... Should change the name to Super Soul Caliber Brawl :smallamused:

Icewalker
2008-01-09, 11:27 PM
Yep. Looks real to me.

...:smalleek:

Gaelbert
2008-01-09, 11:33 PM
But... why? This is just bizarre.

13_CBS
2008-01-09, 11:46 PM
Rule of Cool, my friend. Rule of Cool. (http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool)

SurlySeraph
2008-01-10, 12:52 AM
On a scale from one to sodium diethyline, this doesn't make any damn sense. Really, it doesn't.

Zakama
2008-01-10, 01:30 AM
This is going to be the strangest mix up ever... Should change the name to Super Soul Caliber Brawl :smallamused:

I thought maybe it was an attempt at something SSBish at first.

Krytha
2008-01-10, 01:36 AM
I didn't think it was particularly amazing (although everyone at Kotaku peed their pants a little), but then again, I don't care about "textbook" fighters. So this is just odd.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-10, 10:58 AM
I myself thought it was a joke. Then I saw this:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/29550.html

Jibar
2008-01-10, 11:26 AM
Heh, I just watched the trailer myself.
Come on though, Link, the dude from Tekken whose name I cannot spell and Spawn you gloss over, but Yoda and Vader you question.
Spawn for God's sake.
Personally, bring it on. Just more people to fall to Nightmare's hand.

Edit: Woah woah woah, what da hell. Where's my Wii version? The PS3 gets Vader, 360 gets Yoda, and now there's no Wii version? We're getting stuck with Soul Calibur Legends?
Why you dirty traitors Namco. Nintendo made Soul Calibur II, Link made it popular, and now you leave us? See if we let you develop for us ever again. Hmph.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-10, 11:42 AM
Don't be too proud of this supernatural terror you control. The manifestation of a blade's will is insignificant next to the power of the Force!

MCerberus
2008-01-10, 11:42 AM
It could be worse. It could be Highlander.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-10, 11:43 AM
That'd be cool, but he'd probably end up being a Mitsurugi clone.

Crispy Dave
2008-01-10, 11:46 AM
O my god!!!!!!!!!!

SurlySeraph
2008-01-10, 06:55 PM
It could be worse. It could be Highlander.

That would be better. Superpowered immortal sword-wielding nuts who are at least from Earth would make more sense.

Vaynor
2008-01-10, 07:04 PM
WTF.

WTF!!

I realize they put Link in there, and it's not much difference really in that matter... but Darth Vader and Yoda don't even BELONG in the universe. IT MAKES NO SENSE. At least Link at least looked the part.

Dihan
2008-01-10, 07:11 PM
Edit: Woah woah woah, what da hell. Where's my Wii version? The PS3 gets Vader, 360 gets Yoda, and now there's no Wii version? We're getting stuck with Soul Calibur Legends?
Why you dirty traitors Namco. Nintendo made Soul Calibur II, Link made it popular, and now you leave us? See if we let you develop for us ever again. Hmph.

I saw a video, it was on GameTrailers, an interview with Namco and it showed a clip of SCIV, it credited 360, PS3 and Wii. Namco have also said that they're not not porting the game to Wii.

We'll see.

Green Bean
2008-01-10, 07:20 PM
I don't care if it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. It's still mind-blowingly awesome.

evisiron
2008-01-10, 08:29 PM
First impression: Hahahahaha
Second impression: But wait..oh yeah, Spawn was there before.

Now I am just thinking "poor normal characters don't really have a chance" :smallamused:
Really, force and lightsabres versus the normal stuff? If only they added that to the game... 1 hit KO's and limb removal!

EvilElitest
2008-01-10, 09:09 PM
Rule of Cool, my friend. Rule of Cool. (http://www.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RuleOfCool)

But it wasn't cool, it was just strange
from
EE

Eita
2008-01-10, 09:21 PM
I don't care if it's strange, it's badass.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-01-10, 09:48 PM
"Luke . . . I am in Soul Calibur 4."

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Metal Head
2008-01-10, 09:53 PM
I don't even what to say.

Gungnir
2008-01-10, 11:10 PM
Now see, the extra characters from before made sense. They wanted a different characters to represent each console, and they came up with:

Spawn for the XBox; He's huge, black, and shoots fireballs (power cord recalls, anyone?)
Link for Gamecube; He's the main character for one of Nintendo's two biggest cash cows. The other fights with butt-stomps.
Hitachi (I think, otherwise "Large Balding Man" will suffice) for PS2; Hell if I know, seems like there's a lot of better choices, even if you only pick from Tekken games.

Star Wars characters, though? There was obviously a big wheel with 100 major movie franchises written on it.

13_CBS
2008-01-11, 01:18 AM
;3773883']"Luke . . . I am in Soul Calibur 4."

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!!!"

Fixed it for ya. :smallbiggrin:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-11, 08:57 AM
Sheesh, does no one pay attention to the film anymore?!

It should go like this:

"No. . .I am in Soul Calibur IV."

"No. No! That's not true! THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE!"

"Search your feelings, you know it to be true!"

"NOOOOOOOOOOO! Noooooooooo!"

Reinboom
2008-01-11, 09:37 AM
What was more scary, not even thinking about soul calibur series, see the style and position yoda is in - and instantly think "This... better be a joke. Darth vader and yoda in super smash bros. brawl? really?"

That was scary.
Soul Calibur isn't too bad though, even if they have to dumb down the force and the lightsabers a bit...

Madmal
2008-01-11, 09:39 AM
Heh, I just watched the trailer myself.
Come on though, Link, the dude from Tekken whose name I cannot spell and Spawn you gloss over, but Yoda and Vader you question.
Spawn for God's sake.
Personally, bring it on. Just more people to fall to Nightmare's hand.

i agree with Jibar here, i don't mind the extras. i'm more pissed that it seems there's no Wii version...though if there were..they'll probably get luke on it..:smalleek:

also, wouldn't using Yoda be cheap? he's smaller than Talim...waaaay smaller..

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-11, 10:29 AM
I agree. Why can't they just release across all three consoles, instead of giving the real goods to the two other competitors and tossing the Wii some spin-off. I mean, I'm still annoyed that I've got to go over to a friend's house to play Soul Calibur III. And even Xbox players don't have that game! Namco had a good idea with Soul Calibur II, but why has there been this blatant favoritism for the non-Nintendo consoles? If you're going to release a multi-platform game, then don't restrict yourself to one console and the market that comes with it!

Haruki-kun
2008-01-11, 01:47 PM
.............I'm not liking this very much, to be honest.

I mean, Star Wars characters in Sould Calibur???. Seriously!

Green Bean
2008-01-11, 02:02 PM
Never mind what I said earlier. The whole thing makes perfect sense. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/11) :smallbiggrin:

Cristo Meyers
2008-01-11, 02:06 PM
Hitachi (I think, otherwise "Large Balding Man" will suffice) for PS2; Hell if I know, seems like there's a lot of better choices, even if you only pick from Tekken games.

Tekken is also a Namco series. Why pay to use someone like Dante when you can recycle your own character?

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-11, 03:54 PM
Because they used Heihachi (sp?) in SCII for the PS2, and Yoshimitsu is a whole other sack of potatoes entirely. Frankly if I saw more Tekken characters it wouldn't feel like Soul Calibur. It'd be Tekken vs. Soul Calibur!

Prustan
2008-01-12, 03:03 AM
I watched the trailer, thinking 'ok, generic fighting game with weapons.' Then Vader and Yoda showed up - WHAT THE HELL! It makes no sense whatsoever.

Closet_Skeleton
2008-01-12, 05:23 AM
Some reason, the Darth Vadar one looks real and the Yoda one looks photoshopped. Maybe it's because a helmet is easier to make look write compared to a face.

Haruki-kun
2008-01-15, 12:02 AM
I watched the trailer, thinking 'ok, generic fighting game with weapons.' Then Vader and Yoda showed up - WHAT THE HELL! It makes no sense whatsoever.

See.... that's the thing. To many of us, this isn't some Generic Fighting game with weapons..........

THIS........... IS............ SOUL CALIBUR!!!!!!!!!!

And Darth Vader and Yoda in it...... simply DON'T GO!

In my opinion, this is the equivalent of writing a Coca-Cola add all over Taki's clothes.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-15, 08:30 AM
That's the thing about guest characters though. Most of the time they don't fit properly. I mean, depending on what version of SCII you have, you've got a pointy-eared hero from another world, a corrupt corporate executive who's traveled in time, or an anti-hero from hell itself! None of those make much sense in Soul Calibur, and yet people thought it was awesome. At least Darth Vader and Yoda don't need time travel to get involved.

AdversusVeritas
2008-01-15, 09:09 AM
An Investigation of the Possible Symmetries Between the Star Wars and Soul Calibur Universe (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/11)

Jibar
2008-01-15, 11:03 AM
*cough*

Never mind what I said earlier. The whole thing makes perfect sense. (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/11) :smallbiggrin:

Someone beat ya to it mate.

AdversusVeritas
2008-01-15, 11:14 AM
My apologies.

Athaniar
2008-01-15, 12:27 PM
First impression: Nice photoshop work, but the relevance is somewhat unclear to me...

Two seconds later: OMG!