PDA

View Full Version : Moderator comments on locked threads

TheElfLord
2008-01-09, 11:10 PM
When I first started coming to this site, it seemed like every time a thread was locked, the closing moderator would post a comment about why he/she was locking the thread. Now it seems like most closed threads I see lack a moderator comment.

Sometimes it is obvious why a thread is locked, but often it is hard to tell what rule is being violated. When the moderator explains there is no confusion, but if there is no explantion, I and I am sure others on this forum are not sure what action caused the locking.

Would it be possible for moderators to go back to posting an explanation in each thread they lock? Or if they do not want to do that, could one moderator explain why this helpful service seems to have been mostly discontinued?

As an example, at the time of this edit, there are three locked threads on the first page of the media forum, none of the have a comment by the locking mod.

EvilElitest
2008-01-09, 11:18 PM
I agree, i have no problem with locked thread, but i want to know the reason at least. I love the forum because the mods are trustworthy so i know it isn't anything nasty, but i sometimes don't know the rule that was broken

for example, the triforce vs. the force, it was a silly thread i know, but what rule was it breaking?
Or bean vs. Lion
from
EE

Roland St. Jude
2008-01-10, 12:01 AM
Standard procedure when locking a thread is to explain why its been locked. Sometimes due to time constraints, obviousness, or other reasons that step is omitted. If you have a question about why a thread was locked, PM a mod for the forum at issue. You may want to check the Forum Rules first and see if you can tell yourself why a thread was locked.

This thread is being locked because I don't want it to turn into a "why was X thread locked" thread. :smallamused:

Past thread on this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58088). :smallsmile:

Rawhide
2008-01-10, 12:39 AM
Regarding vs threads, please see this thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63119