PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder- have you heard about it?

Hyrael
2008-01-09, 11:37 PM
I know that the whole 4th ed, Dragon and Dungeon canceled thing still has the community reeling. As a satisfied subscriber to Paizo's Pathfinder publication, however, I'm curious to see how many people out there have looked into Paizo's setting and adventure paths.

I'm currently doing my first real campaign thanks to Paizo's Rise of the Runelords path. Yeah, i know that a real DM should be able to make up their story from scratch, but I just dont have the time or drive to make up my own fully-plotted out campaign world, and I'm better at cool setpeice adventures than massive overarching plots that dont sound stupid and cliche'd. I consider my main skill as a DM to be delivery, so I'll let someone else do the legwork and focus on presenting the game to my players, and throw in my own custom stuff as much as I can.

Anyhoo, Im curious as to if anyone here is as subscriber, as I dont really have a handle on how popular Pathfinder is so far. The world that Paizo is building seems to me very "old school." there's no big overarching theme or "planet of hats" effect, and they have a new, interesting take on many classic monsters. So far, their adventure path is lightly horror-themed, with great villains and climate, setpeice locations like anicent dams and a literal haunted house, and chock-full of detail. it's like playing half-life 2, but with ogres instead of combine. the quality of the adventure paths is, to me, outstanding, and certainly worth their price. It makes me feel more secure, as I dont have to rely solely on WotC for my gaming content, as they seem to be a little shakey as of late.

Panda-s1
2008-01-10, 12:51 AM
I'm a player in one. We just started on the second book, but it's been a lot of fun playing. Just wish they had more information about deities. I'm a cleric of Torag, and while I get the whole "he's kinda like Moradin" idea, I just wish there was at least a paragraph written about him so I can flesh my character out a little more.

I've actually met the Paizo guys (believe it or not) and they have a lot in store for Golarion. Whether or not they decide to go with 4E, I'm definitely using their material in the future.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-13, 10:29 AM
I didn't like how they converted the subscribers so I passed.