PDA

View Full Version : College in the Playground

JessSoccer
2008-01-09, 11:50 PM
So basically, I intend this to be a discussion thread for all of us College kids out there in the playground. Tell me your woes, your joys, your crazy/funny/horrible/scary roommate/class/party/nighttimejelloracinginpurplepolkadottedunderpants stories

reorith
2008-01-10, 12:41 AM
my freshmen year, i decided it would be cool to use barbed wire to decorate my bunk. i was in a triple at the time. my one room mate asked for a room change and my other one thought it was hilarious.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-10, 06:02 AM
I go to Saddleback community college here in southern California, I'm an art major, a sophomore, and college is much much harder than highschool but at least college has couches and decent food.
After a lot of time not wanting to deal with academic courses over the past year and a half with a sprinkling of art classes I'm going to be focusing on stuff I think will be easier on my psyche this semester; Intaglio and relief etching, screen-printing, an online philosophy course and I'm going to try a little acting. I'm nervous about that last one because I've never done anything more than just character roleplaying for D&D.:smalleek:

Jack Squat
2008-01-10, 09:38 AM
Well, I'm at UT Knoxville, and besides sneaking my group of friends up into our room to watch movies (there's one girl in the group, only allowed females up in the dorm on weekends) I don't have much. May be trying to set up a big nerf war sometime though.

captain_decadence
2008-01-10, 09:51 AM
I am currently in college and I have a habit of taking lots of classes because I can't cut down my interests. Last semester I took 7, the one before that 6. So this semester I am only taking four classes and working a psych lab part time (as well as my regular job) and trying to keep things down.

And in strolls a class that I have been wanting to take for a long time that was canceled in the past. So I find myself flirting with this class, debating going, almost signing up, looking at the flier they put out because it was a recently implemented class. Now I'm trying to force myself not to take it, for my own mental health really, but I can't resist the call of Gender and Islam. Maybe I'll audit it.

Interesting stories, my roommate (male) freshmen year started dating my best friend's roommate who is a lesbian. She decided that she was okay because he was kinda girlish. Well, they made a lot of...noise so my best friend ended up moving out of her room and moving in with me. Then we had problems when the RA came by with fresh baked zucchini bread and we were both in our underwear (about to go to sleep). She didn't think there was anything awkward about throwing open the door and grabbing zucchini bread but the RA was like "Have some zucchi...." and just stared at us for a second. She said thanks and let the door shut. He was confused after that.

As for horror stories, I was screwed over by the people who do rooming and was set in a room with a friend of mine, a foreign exchange student from germany, a strange little freshmen who slept naked and didn't shower, and when the german guy left, a korean exchange student who watched TV in korean all night long. And this wasn't apartment style or a suite, this was a single room with four beds in it. Possibly the worst year of my life.

Argent
2008-01-10, 10:15 AM
There's entirely too many stories to tell, between the hallway luge, multiple microwave ovens exploding, freshmen imbibing way too much alcohol, bailing friends out of jail for stealing snow fences, someone catching a dart in the face, and the infamous Hall Crawl. But one of my favorites is still my former dorm neighbor who decided to take his mattress out of his bunk and use the wood framing to grow grass. Not the smokable grass, mind you, but regular turf-type grass. So you'd walk into his room, see his mattress on the floor and a bunk full of grass. I still have no idea why he did it, but at least the room smelled nice.

Madmal
2008-01-10, 10:28 AM
i just took Modern Philosophy...started bad, improved a littl, failed again. took a big effort, skipped the mid-term exam, even negleted the possibiity of improving the courses wherei'had already passed. got a 15/20 on my final exam (40 %)...i just needed a 8/20 on my substitute exam to pass...

ad i got a 7/20...wich means i failed by 0.05 points.:smallmad:

so i'm not very happy with college now, i'm just letting it be until the summer term starts in a couple of weeks.:smallsigh:

RTGoodman
2008-01-10, 10:43 AM
I'm at East Carolina University (home of the Pirates - YARRR!), about to start my final semester tomorrow. It turns out that, with the right combination of AP classes in high school and taking the maximum class load most semesters, I'll be graduating in only three years, so that's a plus I guess.

My major is History, which isn't really an indicator of my interests. I had to basically just choose one field to major in because my main interest (Medieval & Renaissance Studies, through the Interdisciplinary Studies people) isn't really available as a major.

Don't really have any crazy stories of my own, though ECU's probably considered the biggest and craziest "party school" in NC. Although, my freshman year roommates was a Russian guy here on political asylum (his family was somehow involved in the Soviet weapons productions and escaped here).

This semester looks like it might be a little rough. I'm still steaming over how I got my first B last semester (screwing my 4.0 GPA) in American Military History to 1900, since by all rights it should have been an A (though I'm going to talk to the professor about it tomorrow). This semester I've got a History Senior Seminar, Classical Studies Senior Seminar (since there's not a Medieval Studies one this semester and I need it to graduate) on 'Roman North Africa, The Vietnam War, The Middle East from 400-1500, and Intro to Geography (since I still need one more freshman level Social Science, and refuse to take Psych or Sociology).

But now I've got to head out - I've got to go participate in my least favorite part of the semester (buying textbooks), made even worse by the fact that I didn't buy them online this semester (so it's probably gonna cost about $350).

Syka
2008-01-10, 12:19 PM
This latest one happened this week for my Lucretius class. I picked up the book from the school bookstore (I have a book allowance through a scholarship, and it's easier to return books this way, plus mail where I live at school is unreliable), and go to class later that day (this was Monday). Everyone is in class and our teacher comes it:

"Everyone has the book?"
"Yes"
"Good, get ready to return it."

Evidently the bookstore ordered the wrong book. Yay. But he worked it out and even if you didn't have a reciept you could exchange it. So, since we couldn't do any translating in a, well, translating class, we got out after 10 minutes. A friend and I decided to go to a bookstore just off campus because my Greek book was only there (Selections from the Iliad). I checked to see if the Latin book was there and, sure enough, it was. And only two copies. So my friend and I were able to pick it up.

Tuesday afternoon I get a call from my friend saying that he talked with the teacher and that was ALSO the wrong book. At this point, I just said screw it, I'll wait for the right ones to come into the school bookstore. It didn't help that he said Barnes and Noble had the right one...except it was the same as the FIRST book.

Wednesday the book came into the bookstore, but I hadn't returned either of my copies yet, because I wanted to talk to the teacher. Turns out the book we'd gotten at the off campus bookstore WAS the right one. --'

My Homer teacher this term reminds me of Yoda. :smallbiggrin:

One of my Psychology teachers is named Ilan...pronounced like Elan. XD

I got a B+ in my Roman Drama class last term. I got an 83.1 on the first test and an 84.4 on the second one, the only two tests we had, so by all means I should have just gotten a B. However, the teacher told me the two extra credit reports I did were really good so he thought I deserved the bumb. I got bumbed up at least 3 or so points. :smallsmile:

Oh, I live in an all-girls residence off campus. Last year during the superbowl my friends and I were hanging downstairs and I had picked up some condoms from the Health Center to give to them as a joke. We culminated the night my sling-shotting different colored condoms around the living room. I have vivid memories of a girl walking in right as my friend sent a green one sailing across the room.

Cheers,
Syka

averagejoe
2008-01-10, 01:16 PM
Not much to tell. I'm mostly a pretty boring dude, and not much prone to wild antics. Went to a couple of parties and didn't really enjoy them. Have met no one worth trying to date. Enjoy my physics study group, though. They're a bunch of pretty cool people. I have to study a lot, because I'm a math/physics double major at a school with a very good math/physics program, so that's wierd, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. It's been fun, but I'm quite ready to be finished with school.

JessSoccer
2008-01-10, 01:51 PM
Well, as for me, I go to Georgia Southern University (on the list of Playboy's top party schools! <little did my parents know>) and getting my BS in Anthropology with a Focus in Archeology and Minor in Classical and Medieval Studies. I too got it done in 3 years, thank god for summer school.

Hmmm....story of the day....oh, I know :smallbiggrin:

I am currently title oil wrestling champ 4 semesters in a row. I've won over $500. It's a lot of fun, and really easy, if you just /pretend/ like you're getting hammered, and then take down the girls that actually are :)

Metal Head
2008-01-10, 02:08 PM
While I'm not in college (I'm only 16), I do have a friend in the United States Airforce Academy. It's much different from your average college because of the (almost) complete lack of weirdos, druggies, drunks, and morons. That doesn't mean that they don't do crazy stuff there. Since there's almost no women in the Academy a lot of the new cadets try to sneak out at night to get to some bars. Of course, this is incredibly difficult. Why? Military level security around the whole place.

Syka
2008-01-10, 02:28 PM
Oh, forgot to mention I'm a Classics Major. I graduate next fall. Woot!

Somehow the fact that the oil wrestling champ attends playboys top party school doesn't surprise me. :smallwink: The money sounds good though. My boyfriend would probably kill me if I did it. Not for doing it, but for doing it if he wasn't around to see as well, since he lives back home. Hehe.

You won't be getting many odd social-based stories out of me. My life right now consists of attempting to keep my grades way up, keeping sane, and keeping a balanced relationship. And I don't even have a 'real' job.

Cheers,
Syka

NikkTheTrick
2008-01-10, 02:34 PM
From my experience:

If you are living in dorm and hear a scream in the hallway at 3 AM, do NOT look into the hallway. What you would see would make you want take your eyes out with a fork :smalleek:

Brickwall
2008-01-10, 02:41 PM
Here's a secondhand one:

From the chemistry class of a friend, this is the story of the thermite example.

The professor, one day, decided to do a demonstration with thermite. For those of you not in the know, thermite is a fun material that burns at incredibly hot temperatures. Really, incredibly hot. Anyway, the professor set down the thermite in a dish on the center of the table. This happened to be a somewhat excessive quantity of thermite. When he ignited the thermite, it burned very prettily. It burned, in fact, through the dish. It contacted the center of the marble tabletop. In reaction to the sudden heat, the marble split in half, and the halves rocketed apart. I can't imagine a marble desktop was cheap. Suffice to say, though, I'm sure it was an effective demonstration.

RTGoodman
2008-01-10, 02:54 PM
Well, I've just returned from textbook shopping. $210 later, I've got almost all of my textbooks. The other 3 are about $50 each in every store in town (and we've got three!), so I'm gonna just hit up Amazon for those.

Also, I just remembered another fun college story from my freshman year. I lived in the honors and international student dorm, so normally there wasn't too much craziness going on. However, my roommate walked in looking a little bemused one night, and asked asked me, "Hey, you wouldn't happen to know how to bleach someone's hair, would you? Like, 'bleached blonde' hair?"

I told him, "I'm not sure, but I think you just use hydrogen peroxide or something like that."

He looked a little scared and said, "So you don't use like, real laundry bleach?", to which I replied, "Dear gods no! I'm pretty sure bleach will eat through your skin or something if it's on there long enough!"

Apparently, one of our brilliant honors students decided that he wanted blond hair, so he got a bottle of laundry bleach and a couple of friends, went to the bathroom, leaned his head over the sink, and had them pour it onto his head.

I never found out what happened after that, but I can't imagine it was good.

Susil
2008-01-10, 05:02 PM
Can us brits post here? (I get confused when north americans talk about college, since here college is 16-18 and nigh on never living onsite...) :smalltongue:

I'm in my first year at uni... Haven't got the most exciting stories, since I don't like nightclubs and am not a big fan of booze, most of the crazy stuff you find is done by other people. Including but not limited to furniture moving a long way, random naked men turning up inside someone's room, and the entire contents of our kitchen being turned upside down overnight...

JessSoccer
2008-01-10, 09:01 PM
Can us brits post here? (I get confused when north americans talk about college, since here college is 16-18 and nigh on never living onsite...) :smalltongue:

Of course :) I am anthropologist, all people are welcome, no matter how strange their customs :P

The Extinguisher
2008-01-10, 09:09 PM
I'm preparing for university, if that counts for anything.

And by preparing, I mean trying to get as much money as I can for tuition.:smallfrown:

captain_decadence
2008-01-10, 09:33 PM
We mean uni. College for us is technically an undergraduate only institution while university is a school that has graduate programs (and possibly only graduate programs, but this is rare). This means that someone being at college and someone being at university are pretty much the same thing.
Except that I live in a residential college (it's kind of like a dorm except that you live there all four years and it's amazing) so some people get confused about that when I talk about my college.

There are many many many other stories, like a giant scavenger hunt that covers the entirety city of houston and had highlights like posing shirtless as a seal on a table and trying to convince a hooter's girl to come back with us among many many other fun things. I've had spontaneous dance parties and gigantic pranks (attaching two bundles of hundred's of blue balloons to one building that is rather phallic seeming...Yay for blue balls!).

We once had a game of Truth, Dare, Strip or Drink. It's like truth or dare except you can choose to take off an article of clothing or take a shot if you want to back out. Oh, and all the truths have to be answered by everyone. I didn't drink at the time, so I came to the game with a vest, a jacket, a tie, and an extra shirt in addition to my own regular clothes. It was fun and very enlightening.

Oh yeah, and we have classes. I'm a Psychology and Religious Studies double major. Very happy with my academic life here.

hobbes543
2008-01-10, 09:39 PM
But now I've got to head out - I've got to go participate in my least favorite part of the semester (buying textbooks), made even worse by the fact that I didn't buy them online this semester (so it's probably gonna cost about $350).

As an engineering major at Northeastern... I can say I wish my books only cost $350 a semester. I spend more in the neighborhood of $500 to $600 on books each semester

†Seer†
2008-01-10, 11:00 PM
Hmmm..only my 3rd or 4th day here (it escapes me), but I was invited to a "Sushi Night". I felt extremely naive when I found out there was no sushi to be had at this 'Sushi Night', but instead, large quantities of smokable turf grass :P

Hmmm...think that's about it for me. Every other funny thing is an inside joke or such.

NikkTheTrick
2008-01-11, 12:24 AM
Hmmm..only my 3rd or 4th day here (it escapes me), but I was invited to a "Sushi Night". I felt extremely naive when I found out there was no sushi to be had at this 'Sushi Night', but instead, large quantities of smokable turf grass :P

Hmmm...think that's about it for me. Every other funny thing is an inside joke or such.
Err... by turf grass do you mean the kind that is not too legal?:smalleek:

FaustianFeste
2008-01-11, 05:47 AM
I go to a very, very liberal college in the Southwest USA. Despite its location, it's filled mostly with upper-middle to rich kids from New England. And I'm from the South. Needless to say, it's...an interesting mix.

In addition, it took chains and netting to dredge up some RPers up here, but I did, so at least that's working out well.

Before I left for college, I swung by an army surplus store and picked up a gas mask. I'm currently hanging it on my bedpost, with a System of a Down baseball cap on it for effect. I've received many compliments for it.

my freshmen year, i decided it would be cool to use barbed wire to decorate my bunk. i was in a triple at the time. my one room mate asked for a room change and my other one thought it was hilarious.

This is raw awesomeness. I'm going to have to do this. Remember, it's not stealing an idea since "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.":smallwink:

The Bushranger
2008-01-11, 06:50 AM
I am currently title oil wrestling champ 4 semesters in a row. I've won over $500. It's a lot of fun, and really easy, if you just /pretend/ like you're getting hammered, and then take down the girls that actually are :)

o.O
Hmmm...
:smallamused:

JessSoccer
2008-01-11, 09:45 AM
OK, let's see, I need another story, I suppose.

Well how about this one:

There are many perks to working in a college text book store. Including, but not limited to, drinking on the job, having helium parties, and "renting" the textbooks you need for the semester, not giving them back, and selling them to another store. This wasn't me being illegal, it was allowed. The manager was old friends with the owner, and the owner was a very mean and psychotic lady, to say the least. So, whenever the owner would do something to piss our manager off, he would do something to spite her :smallamused: It was really a very fun game. Oh, and he hired me because on my interests on my facebook profile I had "Interests:Beer" and "Favorite Music: TKE Tailgating Hits". So yea, the atmosphere was great. That is, until Rob, the manager resigned, and moved to Tennessee to be with his Russian girlfriend.

RandomLogic
2008-01-11, 10:43 AM
I have one:

So at our campus every year St Patrick's Day is a big thing because he is the Patron Saint of Engineers, and I go to an all engineering school. So all the fraternities and sororities (only 5 total... its a smaller school 4k students) make up St. Pat's themes and compete in contests and stuff all week long. Well my fraternity's theme was "McSausage Race", now for those of you who know about the Milwaukee Brewer's (baseball) sausage race the theme should be pretty self explanatory. For those who don't, Milwaukee has some of the best sausage makers located here, and every 7th inning some Brewer employees dress up in large sausage costumes and race from left field to 1st base. So what we did is this. We made huge sausage costumes! Out of wire and felt. They looked freaking amazing, but the downside was that they scratched the crap out of my and my friend while we were building them. Also we build this huge sausage vendor cart that we drug up into the campus center and on Monday when we do a St Pats carnival we ran all the sausages around the campus center!

It was fantastic. Also we had a graduation party where a couple random people put the costumes on and ran up to a very bar heavy street nearby and ran around as well. Hilarity ensued!