PDA

View Full Version : "Sir Greenhilt"

*Templar*
2008-01-10, 12:20 AM
Has there ever been a real explanation for why V often addresses Roy as "Sir Greenhilt"? "Sir" preceding a name is a title usually used for knights. V doesn't use such an honorific for most other characters, except for calling Haley "Miss Starshine," and we know he has a personal fondness for her. Is the "Sir Greenhilt" form of address just V's way of communicating similar personal fondness for Roy and/or respect for him in his role as leader of the Order?

Hardly a weighty issue, to be sure, just something that occurred to me.

monty
2008-01-10, 12:38 AM
My guess would be mark of respect.

hanzo66
2008-01-10, 12:45 AM
I'm guessing it's an Elf thing, being extremely formal to close companions.

Kaelaroth
2008-01-10, 11:24 AM
My guess would be mark of respect.

What he said. There's been no established reason otherwise.

dbat19
2008-01-10, 12:51 PM
i think it's only V's habit, anyway, as long as i remember, Sir applied only to someone's first name?
so if Roy is really a knight or something like that, he want to hear people call him "Sir Roy" or " Sir Roy Greenhilt" not "Sir Greenhilt":smallbiggrin:

Alysar
2008-01-10, 12:51 PM
Has there ever been a real explanation for why V often addresses Roy as "Sir Greenhilt"? "Sir" preceding a name is a title usually used for knights. V doesn't use such an honorific for most other characters, except for calling Haley "Miss Starshine," and we know he has a personal fondness for her. Is the "Sir Greenhilt" form of address just V's way of communicating similar personal fondness for Roy and/or respect for him in his role as leader of the Order?

Hardly a weighty issue, to be sure, just something that occurred to me.

Remember that Roy did ask V to stop calling him that at one point.

Tyrmatt
2008-01-10, 01:02 PM
I seem to recall it being a reference to a particular sci-fi show where a particularly intelligent character (or robot or something) tended to always use highly formalised titles in a relationship with people he was very familiar with.

Uncle Festy
2008-01-10, 01:52 PM
OtOoPCs Spoiler:

V first calls Roy "Sir" after Roy demonstrates his intelligence upon their first meeting... I think. It might have been earlier, but it definately wasn't later.

Querzis
2008-01-10, 02:40 PM
OtOoPCs Spoiler:

V first calls Roy "Sir" after Roy demonstrates his intelligence upon their first meeting... I think. It might have been earlier, but it definately wasn't later.

V is being overly formal only with people he respect. «Sir Greenhilt», «Miss starshine» and «Master Thundershield». The formality are just a way to show his respect as far as I'm concerned. And V show his disrespect by not even calling someone by their name: «the halfling», «that paladin» and «those three».

Its not an elf thing though, I heard people do that often. Especially my grandfather who always called his best friend «sir», who his always very formal with us and who cant seems to remember the name of any of his grandchildrens boyfriends or girlfriends «Hey you boy, come here». It might be an old people thing though, I dunno (and it would still make sense since V is pretty old).

Ecalsneerg
2008-01-10, 03:14 PM
I seem to recall it being a reference to a particular sci-fi show where a particularly intelligent character (or robot or something) tended to always use highly formalised titles in a relationship with people he was very familiar with.

I remember in Animorphs the group's alien addressed the group's leader as "Prince"... that what you're think of?

Wrecan
2008-01-10, 06:36 PM
It always seemed to me to give V and Roy a sort of Marcie-Peppermint Patty dynamic that I really liked.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i1/Wrecan/Sir.jpg
http://www.peanutscollectorclub.com/pe790721.jpg

monty
2008-01-10, 08:52 PM
I remember in Animorphs the group's alien addressed the group's leader as "Prince"... that what you're think of?

Wow, that brings back memories. I haven't read that series in years...in retrospect, the ending was really depressing.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-10, 09:02 PM
I've said it before but: Maybe Roy has the title "Sir" because of his Master in Battlefield Administration, in the same way someone with a Phd is called "Doctor".

Metal Head
2008-01-10, 10:21 PM

Wow, that brings back memories.

Anyway, I think that V just thinks it would be wrong to refer to Roy as anything BUT Sir. V obviously has a high respect for Roy. After all, Roy has proven to be a very intelligent person, a loyal friend, and in general a good man. V just has too much respect for him to not call him Sir. To just call him Roy would be an insult in V's opinion.

The Extinguisher
2008-01-10, 10:29 PM
Sir doesn't just mean a knight. It's good formallity to address a male superior as sir.

A V obvious considers Roy is his superior. And respects him enough to show formality.

EvilElitest
2008-01-10, 10:31 PM
Remember that Roy did ask V to stop calling him that at one point.

Maybe he is a knight? I mean it would be interesting
from
EE

Hallavast
2008-01-10, 10:43 PM
Sir doesn't just mean a knight. It's good formallity to address a male superior as sir.

A V obvious considers Roy is his superior. And respects him enough to show formality.

Yes, but to adress someone by saying "Sir" before their name implies a position of (male) Knighthood. The female equivalent is "Dame" (Helsing got it wrong. "Dame Helsing" is proper instead of "Sir Helsing").

It's just like using Lord Greenhilt, Goodman greenhilt, Baron Von Badass, King Greenhilt, Duke Greenhilt, Count Greenhilt, and so forth. To adress him as simply "Sir", however, would indicate superior or equivalent rank in the military or any formal heirarchy.

Querzis
2008-01-10, 11:08 PM
Yes, but to adress someone by saying "Sir" before their name implies a position of (male) Knighthood. The female equivalent is "Dame" (Helsing got it wrong. "Dame Helsing" is proper instead of "Sir Helsing").

It's just like using Lord Greenhilt, Goodman greenhilt, Baron Von Badass, King Greenhilt, Duke Greenhilt, Count Greenhilt, and so forth. To adress him as simply "Sir", however, would indicate superior or equivalent rank in the military or any formal heirarchy.

So I guess you also think that V call Durkon «Master Thundershield» because V is actually Durkon slave? Its just a mark of respect, get over it. How it was really used in the real world a long time ago is kinda irrevelant in fiction. Beside, as Metal Head said, I dont see how you could expect V to not call him «sir» or at least «master». V is a very formal elf and he respect Roy a lot, there is no way he would just call him Roy, that would be insulting. And Sir Greenhilt sounds better then Master Greenhilt anyway.

brilliantlight
2008-01-10, 11:30 PM
I think it also shows V respects Roy even more then Durkon. Probably because he is the party leader.

Borris
2008-01-10, 11:54 PM
sir
(also Sir)

• noun
1 a polite or respectful form of address to a man.
2 used to address a man at the beginning of a formal letter.
3 used as a title before the forename of a knight or baronet.

It's my guess here that V means "sir" as in definition 1, a perfectly correct English usage of the word sir. As some said, it's simply a mark of respect from V's part.

SadisticFishing
2008-01-11, 12:03 AM
Ram the Blade Ship.

</3

The Ellimist Chronicles was a great book though, I still have it.

monty
2008-01-11, 12:07 AM
You know, I never actually read that book (Ellimist Chronicles). Maybe I should. That and #49 are the only books in the series I don't currently possess (I had 49 at some point, but misplaced it). Back in elementary school, those books were pretty much my life.

*Templar*
2008-01-11, 12:09 AM
I must admit I had forgotten "Master Thundershield." Does he ever call Elan anything more than his first (and only, as far as we know) name?

no one special
2008-01-11, 12:12 AM
unless I'm mistaken, the only other things V calls Elan involves insults on his lack of brainpower

brilliantlight
2008-01-11, 12:16 AM
I think he respect Elan little more then Belkar due to his lack of intelligence. V is very intellectual and a dim wit like Elan is unworthy of respect in his eyes. The only reason he respects him more then Belkar is that he is not a homicidal loon.

monty
2008-01-11, 12:28 AM
And at least Elan is an arcane spellcaster. That probably gives him more worth in V's eyes than Belkar. I thought that when V was "teaching" Elan how to use his illusions, it was almost like an apprenticeship or something.

Solara
2008-01-11, 12:36 AM
Wow, that brings back memories. I haven't read that series in years...in retrospect, the ending was really depressing.

Sorry for the derail, but this got me wondering - I was a little old for the books when they first came out but I did read some of them and I'd kind of like to know how it all ended. Just put the tl:dr version in spoiler text, pretty please? I'm interested but not quite interested enough to want to spend hours browsing a wiki...

David Argall
2008-01-11, 02:15 AM
Sir Greenhilt - Roy is the team leader and so automatically gets the title, tho V may give him the title since he got her respect in SoD.

Miss Starshine - She is 2nd in command for one thing. However...

Master Thundershield - is the title of any unmarried free male [& the change from Master to mister is often pointed out to feminists that insist it is the woman who is demoted by marriage.] So he may use these titles just as a matter of form.

Elan - This is how one addresses a child, and thus probably how she addresses one who would lose a mental contest to a child.

That !@#$ - He doesn't respect, merely despizes him, and so gives him no title that would imply that.

Xandro
2008-01-11, 02:24 AM
Its not an elf thing though, I heard people do that often. Especially my grandfather who always called his best friend «sir», who his always very formal with us and who cant seems to remember the name of any of his grandchildrens boyfriends or girlfriends «Hey you boy, come here». It might be an old people thing though, I dunno (and it would still make sense since V is pretty old).

Does that mean, that your grandfather is an elf? :smalltongue:

Wow, that makes you at least a quarter-elf... :smallsigh:

Eita
2008-01-11, 02:34 AM
Ram the Blade Ship.

</3

The Ellimist Chronicles was a great book though, I still have it.

Oh that takes me back....

*puffs on pipe nostalgically*

I wasn't even old enough to read them when they came out, I just read the copies that my brother had bought.

Anyways, 'Sir' is just meant to be formal.

dehro
2008-01-11, 06:39 AM
I think he respect Elan little more then Belkar due to his lack of intelligence. V is very intellectual and a dim wit like Elan is unworthy of respect in his eyes. The only reason he respects him more then Belkar is that he is not a homicidal loon.

that, and he is, in fact, not..belkar.

anyway... master is quite often used for craftmen and artisans, and as thus extended in quite a large part of literature related to dwarves, who are most often seen as good "men" with a hammer, an anvill and other usefull items of the like

d'Bwobsling
2008-01-11, 09:05 PM
My guess would be that V is adressing Roy as his leader, thus he speaks so formally

Silver2195
2008-01-11, 09:21 PM
Sorry for the derail, but this got me wondering - I was a little old for the books when they first came out but I did read some of them and I'd kind of like to know how it all ended. Just put the tl:dr version in spoiler text, pretty please? I'm interested but not quite interested enough to want to spend hours browsing a wiki...

Rachel dies in a battle. They defeat the Yeerks with a Hiroshima-like Yeerk Pool flushing. Visser 3 (now Visser 1) gets put on trial Nuremburg-style, and the Animorphs become famous. Three years later, Ax disappears, and they steal an Andalite ship to search for him. They find that he's been assimilated by a mysterious being that is now the Yeerk leader and hasthe Blade Ship. The book ends with Jake giving the order to ram the Blade Ship. Most obnoxious cliffhanger I've ever seen.

Solara
2008-01-11, 10:44 PM
Rachel dies in a battle. They defeat the Yeerks with a Hiroshima-like Yeerk Pool flushing. Visser 3 (now Visser 1) gets put on trial Nuremburg-style, and the Animorphs become famous. Three years later, Ax disappears, and they steal an Andalite ship to search for him. They find that he's been assimilated by a mysterious being that is now the Yeerk leader and hasthe Blade Ship. The book ends with Jake giving the order to ram the Blade Ship. Most obnoxious cliffhanger I've ever seen.

You have got to be kidding me. :smallmad: Just as well I didn't waste my time following along in that case...though I admit a tiny part of me almost wants to respect the author for having the balls to wreck the whole the whole thing in such a spectacular faction instead of going on and on long past the point the characters should be put out of their misery in order to milk them for every dime like so many authors of successful series' do...better to go out with a bang then a whimper I guess.

monty
2008-01-11, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I remember something about how she wanted to have them go out like they came in - fighting.

Dammit, the thread got derailed again!

TreesOfDeath
2008-01-13, 09:04 AM
I just came from the Mr Fluffy vs Tsuikko thread, man yous huld have seen how that got derailed.
The written ending of Animorphs sucked (if they didn't want to continue it, why not just give it a happy ending?), but maybe this will be more satsfying

Querzis
2008-01-13, 01:58 PM
The written ending of Animorphs sucked (if they didn't want to continue it, why not just give it a happy ending?)

A happy ending? Now that would have sucked. I already thought the series was becoming bad because they always survived just because of really dumb luck. Dying while ramming an enemy ship? Now thats a really great end for the series. But it look like I'm the only one who think that...

Anyway, sure the thread got derailed but its not like there is really anything else to say about «Sir Greenhilt».

Schulzy
2008-01-13, 04:42 PM
Ah, man, I loved those books way back when, but outgrew them shortly before the end of the series. What happened to Visser One, and whatever became of the Ellimist?

bibliophile
2008-02-28, 08:00 PM
Ah, man, I loved those books way back when, but outgrew them shortly before the end of the series. What happened to Visser One, and whatever became of the Ellimist?

He's still there fighting his fight with whats-his-name Crayak.

I don't care what others think, I thought the ending was great.

kusje
2008-02-28, 09:33 PM
A happy ending? Now that would have sucked. I already thought the series was becoming bad because they always survived just because of really dumb luck. Dying while ramming an enemy ship? Now thats a really great end for the series. But it look like I'm the only one who think that...

I think it just ended too abruptly. And the Cassie|Jake ending was just depressing. "Ram the bladeship" wasn't too bad of an ending I guess.

Incidentally, I still have all of the books stored somewhere on a shelf.

teratorn
2008-02-28, 10:13 PM
He's still there fighting his fight with whats-his-name Crayak.

I don't care what others think, I thought the ending was great.

I'm wondering if you are guilty or not of thread necromancy. This month and a half thing is tricky. :smallconfused:

Either way, shame on you for injecting more off-topic pain in this agonizing thread. :smallfrown:

Callista
2008-02-28, 10:26 PM
I remember in Animorphs the group's alien addressed the group's leader as "Prince"... that what you're think of?That wouldn't be out of respect though. Said alien's culture simply tended towards Law, and his low rank required that he be commanded by someone. The respect was completely incidental.

kusje
2008-02-28, 10:42 PM
That wouldn't be out of respect though. Said alien's culture simply tended towards Law, and his low rank required that he be commanded by someone. The respect was completely incidental.

There wasn't a requirement to be commanded by someone. He called Jake his Prince because Jake was his leader. I don't think it had anything to do with his low rank other than the fact that an Andilite's leader is his prince(or war prince).

Nightmarenny
2008-02-28, 11:04 PM

Hellsing didn't make a mistake. There are several refference's to Integra in similer male pronouns(plus her dress). She probably fears disrespect if she were in anyway differentiated from male knights.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-29, 02:47 AM
Am I the only one here who calls people "Sir" and "Mam"? I call pretty much anyone older than me or in a position of authority that. Of course, I grew up in Texas, but it's just polite.

Also, I hated that ending. Yes, it was climatic and such, but I want an END. Not a cliffhanger.:smallfurious:

I still loved the books, though.

Mr._Michael
2008-02-29, 03:41 AM
Am I the only one here who calls people "Sir" and "Mam"? I call pretty much anyone older than me or in a position of authority that. Of course, I grew up in Texas, but it's just polite.
Well now, that's different. Using 'Sir' as a replacement for a name is polite, and a mark of respect. Using 'Sir' as a title before a name denotes recognition of official rank. You don't call your uncle "Sir Robert" or some such... you call him "Uncle Bob" (casual) or "Sir" (formal). However, in Europe, if you are addressing him and he was Knighted or of Royal rank, you would refer to him as "Sir Robert". Or Bubba, depending on who was in the room.

Now, oddly, when addressing a Knighted man in Europe, you use the format "Sir (first name); you don't ever refer to them as "Sir (last name)". SO, if this was a matter of Knighthood for Roy Greenhilt, V would address him as "Sir Roy", it would be incorrect to call him "Sir Greenhilt". Minor point... but it answers the original question, at least using European rules. ;) Who knows what rules the elves go by...