PDA

View Full Version : Quick fix for lack of top end Fighter stuff

Stephen_E
2008-01-10, 04:46 AM
I was thinking about the fact that the Fighter is intended as the genralist of the combat classes and how to handle the lack of pumped class abilities at the top end, and this relatively simple mechanic came to me.

Lev 10 -
Fighter can learn a single 1-5th level prestige class ability of any prestige class with a good BAB (full BAB) or a single 1-10th level class ability of base class with a good BAB.

Lev 15 -
same again.

Lev 20 -
Fighter can learn a single 1-10th level prestige class ability of any prestige class with a good BAB (full BAB) or a single 1-20th level class ability of base class with a good BAB.

Or a single 1-5th level prestige class ability of any prestige class with an average BAB (Cleric BAB) or a single 1-10th level class ability of base class with a average BAB.

Oddball stuff.
If they choose an ability that increases with levels they only get the increase for the chosen level. i.e. If you take a Rogues 9th level sneak attack you get 1d6 sneak attack (the difference between their 7th level sneak attack and their 9th lev sneak attack, not 5d6.

If they choose spellcasting they only get the spellslots recieved that level + any spells automatically learned that level. i.e. Taking a Clerics 10th lev casting gets you a single 4th and a single 5th lev + any Wis bonus spells per day. Their spell list would be 4th and 5th level spells only.

What do people think.

Stephen

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-10, 05:27 AM
It's sort of like a watered down lesser gestalt lite but at levels 10 and 20 the fighter class is picking up a bonus feat with no cost to the fighter.

I prefer to see some kind of cost mechanic in game even if it would be a moot point with higher level builds.

Something like a +0 LA Jack of Trades template for Any PC class limited to NPC classes at levels 1, 7, 13 and 19 ((NPC class Choices are the Adept, Aristocrat, Expert, GitP Gleaner, ECS Magewright, a Sorcererous based Witch DMG page 175 or the Warrior) enforcing the experience point penalty for non humans and half elves basically limiting the other race PCs to stick with a single NPC class while the humans and half elves have the option to dip NPC classes) or the lesser gestalt option could be treated like a first level regional feat option.

+1 LA Master of Trades (Gestalt Lite) without level buydown limited to a single class for full level 20 advancement. Adept would be a strong synergy with a Monk (or a Druid) or a variant "Holy" style adventurerer. Gleaner and Witch would be a strong synergy with a sorcerer. Warrior would be nice for arcane gish builds. Expert for skill monkeys. A human wizard could go Expert for skills at first level or Warrior for a gish build or Adept or Gleaner or Witch for a little more limited spellcasting (Witch picks up a familiar at L1 just like an Adept does at L2 nice for PC class variants that lose familars) .

No variants for the NPC classes they are as is, just a little frosting on the PC cake. All variants would be on the PC class side.