PDA

View Full Version : What can I do with all this gold?

Adumbration
2008-01-10, 09:13 AM
I have 88 000 gps available for a 12th level character (max. of 22 000 per item), but I have no idea what to do with it.

Here's the deal: I'm going to play a Master of Many Forms, so I have practically no need of weapons, and pretty much no armor, except for maybe a Wild (something) armor. Even this leaves a lot of gold. I'm planning on grabbing a Bag of Holding and some items with charges, but I doubt that even that will make much a difference. Any suggestions?

I know that there are such items as Wildling Clasps, but I feel that a necklace or a ring would look a little silly on a Will-o'-Wisp or a dire bear, so if you have any suggestions on how to spend this gold, I'm all up for it.

EDIT: I have - apart from d20.org - BoED, CC, several Races books, CW, CS and AaE.

Admiral Squish
2008-01-10, 09:19 AM
Whatcha gonna do with all that junk?
All that junk inside that trunk?
I'ma get get get you a +5 vorpal broadsword.

Gorbash
2008-01-10, 09:20 AM
Having seen Golden Compass, I've come to a conclusion that nothing can look silly on a bear. Armored bears are cool. :D

Take amulet of mighty fists +5 for example.

Funkyodor
2008-01-10, 09:25 AM
Why not just hire the other PC's? Thats right, don't screw around with NPC, go straight for the good stuff and hire the PC's directly. Have them jumping through your characters hoops to accomplish your goals. To become the leader all it takes is gold it seems. When a hairy situation looms glance at the big fighter and say, "Take care of that will you, it's what I pay you for."

Iku Rex
2008-01-10, 09:31 AM
Books available?
Build?

Telonius
2008-01-10, 09:34 AM
Gold Golem, maybe? :smallbiggrin:

More seriously, Healing items are never bad to have around. Potions or scrolls of Druid spells. Cloaks of Resistance. Belt of Battle. Ioun Stone. Just go through the list of Wondrous Items, there is a ton of useful stuff there.

SilentNight
2008-01-10, 09:36 AM
[I]Peripat of Wilsdom +6. Wild something armor sure.

Adumbration
2008-01-10, 09:40 AM
All right, maybe an amulet, braces or something wouldn't be that bad. Any specific suggestions? I could use some Wondrous items as well.

EDIT: Remember the 22k cap.

playswithfire
2008-01-10, 09:51 AM
I was going to suggest a monk's belt with wilding clasp. Your wisdom would make it a reasonable AC boost by price option. But then I remembered that wilding clasps are only for throat and vest items. Clearly we need a wilding belt buckle.

Maybe use the 50% extra cost for different body slot? Probably need a nice DM to pull that one off.

So, I'll just throw out necklace of natural attacks from Savage Species as an alternative to amulet of mighty fists.

marjan
2008-01-10, 09:55 AM
Tools section of MIC has nice items that don't occupy body slots so you should dive into it. Wands for out-of-combat spells are also good option. And if you are good you can also consider VoP to seriously p***-of your DM.:smallamused:

Nebo_
2008-01-10, 10:01 AM
Buy an amulet of natural weapons and an animated shield.

Telonius
2008-01-10, 10:20 AM
Druid's Vestments (10k gp) is an obvious one. Incense of Meditation (4.9k) technically works for Druid's spells.

A Golembane Scarab (2.5k) would be a good utility item to keep in your Bag of Holding.

Every adventurer should have Sovereign Glue (2400gp) and Universal Solvent (50gp), if only for the comedic potential. Rope of Climbing (3000gp) is another essential adventuring item. Alchemist's Fire (20gp), Alchemist's Spark (25gp), Alchemist's Frost (25gp), Acid (10gp), Tanglefoot Bags (50gp) and Holy Water (25gp) are other good purchases.

If you're really stuck on how to spend your money, get one each of the mundane items. You never know when you're going to need a ten-foot pole.

thorgrim29
2008-01-10, 11:31 AM
Sovereign glue is fun..... I remember a level 2 game where we were defending a temple from a rival order of knights.... we put glue on the floor, managed to kill off 5 or 6 of them with arrows and fire while they were stuck there. It ended with my warblade going toe to toe with the knights leader in a duel.... I lost horribly but managed to actually wound him. He was impressed so I survived.

CthulhuM
2008-01-10, 01:19 PM
Buy yourself a bunch of ioun stones and a psychoactive skin. Also, ask your DM if you can purchase grafts - a +2 natural armor graft for 16k wouldn't be a terrible investment.

Iku Rex
2008-01-10, 01:54 PM
Keep in mind that for combat you'll probably use one "best" form. Wild shape lasts many hours, so you can take of your gear, change form, then put it back on. Magic items (other than weapons and armor) resize to fit the wearer.

Adumbration
2008-01-10, 02:41 PM
Keep in mind that for combat you'll probably use one "best" form. Wild shape lasts many hours, so you can take of your gear, change form, then put it back on. Magic items (other than weapons and armor) resize to fit the wearer.

Well, actually, depending on the frequency of battles, I'm planning on using Will-o'-Wisp for getting behind them, and then Wildshaping into Tendriculos for the grappling goodness (+Swallow whole!). Maybe a dire lion or bear if the encounter doesn't seem so bad. The tendriculos is more of a big gun for the bad guys.

Dark Tira
2008-01-10, 02:42 PM
If you have access to Complete Champion then the Trappings of the Beast set are probably the best items you'll find.

Yami
2008-01-10, 07:05 PM
there's also the Rainment of the Stormlord set from MIC, but I think the last two items are over your item cost limit. the whole set wildshapes with you though.

Honestly, I'd go wilsing clasp, but that me.

Or you could by a dancing towershield. That's the sort of thing you don't need a wilding clasp for.

tyckspoon
2008-01-10, 07:49 PM
mm.. MoMF means no spellcasting progression, so they aren't quite as no-brainer as usual, but some Pearls of Power could still be handy. 2nd level ones may be best, for extra castings of the buffs at that level. Ioun stones are always handy, if somewhat silly to imagine when you have lots of them.. you'll want to get at least an Orange one (+ caster level), although it's over your single-item limit.

Renx
2008-01-10, 09:27 PM
Ring of Sustenance. No more rest or food required. A bargain for 2,000gp.

Heward's Handy Haversack. Another 2,000gp and you can just put your stuff in here and get them instantly. Beautiful.

Some Necklaces of Fireball VIs. Easy xd10s for 5-8k

A few Immovable Rods make for excellent bridges and/or stairs. 5,000gp a pop.

A Rope of Climbing is nice in all situations. 3,000gp.

Never forget that you need light. Magic detection is a plus. Try to convince your DM to sell you shades that have Darkvision, 30' and Detect Magic.

A simple +4 weapon and a +5 armour comes up to 57,000gp. If you want anything better, that costs a LOT. No wait, you can't have either if 20,000 is max per item. Heh.

Idea Man
2008-01-10, 09:45 PM
I also vote wilding clasp/periapt of wis +4; it's worth it. Wild armor is a good idea, too. Ioun stones are a nice, cheap additive for the shapeshifter on the go. One other thing I would reccomend - wands for utility. Cheap and effective, a couple of wands of cure light wounds will keep the other PCs happy, especially if you're sacrificing spellcasting power.

Hallavast
2008-01-10, 10:23 PM
Psh! Too much gold...

Make a wizard with a decent spellbook, a couple wands, and some good rings/ mm rods.

Done.

Edit:

Ring of Sustenance. No more rest or food required. A bargain for 2,000gp.

Heward's Handy Haversack. Another 2,000gp and you can just put your stuff in here and get them instantly. Beautiful.

QFT*

^Standard operating equipment IMO.

*Ring of Sustenance is 2500gp and you need 2 hours of rest (you still need 8 for new spells RAW, though I apply a houserule that nullifies this in favor of 2 hour rest with the ring - 4 hours if elf with no ring- but you can't memorize/recover spells more than once in the same 8 hour block).

SoD
2008-01-11, 01:26 AM
Druid's Vestments (10k gp) is an obvious one. Incense of Meditation (4.9k) technically works for Druid's spells.

Other items are fine, but, although he's only got 5 levels in druid, when you count in his 7 sevels in Master of Many Forms...he already gets 8 wildshapes every day. I doubt he'd need a ninth.

If you have access to Complete Champion then the Trappings of the Beast set are probably the best items you'll find.

He's got access. Not immediate access, but I, a fellow player, have it on PDF.

A simple +4 weapon and a +5 armour comes up to 57,000gp. If you want anything better, that costs a LOT. No wait, you can't have either if 20,000 is max per item. Heh.

22000 actually. Sorry, I'm a nitpicker. :smalltongue:

kemmotar
2008-01-11, 08:32 AM
you could also look at the chronocharms from MIC, casting glove and wand bracelet along with heward's handy haversack for easy access to any items you have...with casting glove, you can use a magic item without taking it out....so drinking potions as a free action(or swift...) and no attack of opportunity for activating a wand...not bad...

Adumbration
2008-01-11, 09:11 AM
On the Trappings of the Beast... Yes, I can get the Ring and the Mantle, but unfortunately I can't afford the Armor, which is 26 000 gps. It's a pity, since if I had all three of them, I could Wildshape as one level higher. I think. Not sure if it would be Druid levels or MoMF levels. (Definitely getting the mantle, though. Maybe the ring as well.)

kemmotar
2008-01-11, 09:21 AM
well you can get some item creation feats and make them:smallbiggrin:

kiwee
2008-01-11, 09:48 AM
why not send the gold over here, a ranger could use a bit of help ;)

SoD
2008-01-11, 09:58 AM
The Ranger needs gold?! The Exoticist has 23 followers to equip and keep safe!

Adumbration
2008-01-11, 10:43 AM
True.

EDIT: Nothing to see here, except for SoD. Especially not for you, Atelm.

Oh, and speaking of which, SoD, is one of your followers a seamstress or something like that? We may have to replicate one of Her Exalted Highnesse's dresses. (I have a plan for the eventuality of her being a big bad evil ... girl. It involves a private audience, a bag of holding, a hat of disguises, and fake anti-magic shackles.)

LibraryOgre
2008-01-11, 02:18 PM
Donate it to a church. Confuse your DM.

SoD
2008-01-11, 02:32 PM
Oh, and speaking of which, SoD, is one of your followers a seamstress or something like that?

That depends, if you mean as in ''oh, she's a seamstress'' then no. If you mean ''oh, she's a seamstress. *cough* Yeah, a, uh...seamstress'' then...still no. But we could hire one.

Adumbration
2008-01-11, 02:35 PM
I mean seamstress as in a woman doing clothes. Damn, that came out bad. As in a lady of reputable skills with a sowing needle. This isn't getting better, is it?

Aaanyway, couldn't figure out any better word for it, but as in the profession that has to do with clothes, making them, and repairing them.

Doomsy
2008-01-11, 03:35 PM
Buy all of the food in a local city.

That's right.

All of it.

DementedFellow
2008-01-11, 08:08 PM
Get the Cloak of Elvenkind and the Boots of Spiderclimb the Ring of jumping and the Hat of Disguise and the Bag of tricks (tan).

If your character is a rogue, a feint of "OMG is that a lion!?" will allow people to look the other way at the big kitty and allow you to get the hell out of dodge.

Xuincherguixe
2008-01-11, 08:29 PM
Ruin an economy?

SoD
2008-01-12, 03:35 AM
Ruin an economy?

Starting in a big city. A BIG city. It might off-balance it a tad...

If your character is a rogue, a feint of "OMG is that a lion!?" will allow people to look the other way at the big kitty and allow you to get the hell out of dodge.

Druid/Master of Many Forms.

Mind you...I might look into that...

Fuzzy_Juan
2008-01-12, 04:56 AM
get a portable hole and an extra bag of holding...you never know when you will need to instantly open a rift to the astral plane...it can be quite handy.

SoD
2008-01-12, 05:07 AM
Actually, now I think of it...Ioun Stones! They should still float around your head when you're in a wildshape, 8000 GP each, and they'll still give bonuses when you're wildshaping!

Fishy
2008-01-12, 05:22 AM
That's enough for a bag of holding and just under 740 miles of hempen rope.

EDIT: Sorry, did the math wrong. If you want to carry it all *in* the bag, you have to get 8 bags of holding, each with 7,500 feet (1.4ish miles) of hempen rope, for a total of 60,000 feet (11.3ish miles, two Mount Everests) with 6,800 gold left over.

If you use silk rope, you get 6 bags of holding, each with 15,000 feet (2.8ish miles) of rope, for a grand total of 90,000 feet, (16.8ish miles) with 10,000 gold left over.

Renx
2008-01-12, 08:30 AM
That's enough for a bag of holding and just under 740 miles of hempen rope.

EDIT: Sorry, did the math wrong. If you want to carry it all *in* the bag, you have to get 8 bags of holding, each with 7,500 feet (1.4ish miles) of hempen rope, for a total of 60,000 feet (11.3ish miles, two Mount Everests) with 6,800 gold left over.

If you use silk rope, you get 6 bags of holding, each with 15,000 feet (2.8ish miles) of rope, for a grand total of 90,000 feet, (16.8ish miles) with 10,000 gold left over.

I'm afraid to ask... but what exactly do you plan to do with all that rope?

Nebo_
2008-01-12, 09:13 AM
440000 gallons of ale.

SoD
2008-01-13, 05:42 AM
I still think the Ioun stones would be a good idea, 48 000 gp for +2 to each stat (should stay while wildshaping), plus the others with the leftover gp. Think about it, you turn into a T-rex with a bunch of stones, each one floating 1d3 feet away from its head!

Adumbration
2008-01-13, 06:37 AM
How much would it cost to get them permancied invisible?

lord_khaine
2008-01-13, 07:13 AM
to much to make it worth the bother.

SoD
2008-01-13, 11:57 AM
Why would you want them permantly invisible?

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-13, 12:35 PM
How much would it cost to get them permancied invisible?

Whatever it would cost to have a 10th level caster cast a 2nd level spell followed by a 5th level spell with a component of 1,000xp. Sorry, I don't have the 'hiring NPC spellcasters' info handy. My mage just did it himself.