PDA

View Full Version : Wight Monk

wormwood
2008-01-10, 01:28 PM
I've been toying with the idea of building a Wight Monk as a character for a one-shot game. He will likely be starting at ECL 15. The general idea is to build up his ability to lay the Energy Drain smackdown on folks. I'd like to do it with a 32-pt buy. Any suggestions on stats, feats, PrCs? Would he be better off as a fighter instead?

I'd like to max charisma to keep the DC as high as possible for the Energy Drain. Are there any feats that let the monk abilities key off of Charisma instead of Wisdom?

I know that I want the Necrotic Reserve feat from Libris Mortis, to keep from being snuffed out by the first hit to take me to 0 hp. Everything else is pretty open.

How would I go about building this guy? Would I have to use the Wight class levels from Libris Mortis or is there another way (a la Savage Species)?

Input please!

Abbott
2008-01-10, 01:35 PM
I think there is a feat called Ascetic Mage/Sorceror somewhere that let's you accomplish just that and I think it's in complete adventurer or scoundrel.

playswithfire
2008-01-10, 01:40 PM
Ascetic mage is in complete adventurer and requires you to be able to spontaneously cast second level arcane spells, so either 4 levels of sorcerer or (with a friendly dm) one level and precocious apprentice. Monk and sorc levels stack for unarmed damage, CHA to AC instead of wisdom; not stunning fist I'm pretty sure. Can give up a spell slot to get slot level to attack and damage for one round.

Or you'd have to try to get a dm to go along with a charisma version of Carmendine Monk, but since Ascetic mage exists, I'd doubt that'd work.

As far as prestige classes go, there's Soul Eater (Book of Vile Darkness), which gives other bonuses for level drain and eventually lets you drain two levels with an attack. (It actually gives you the level drain at level 1, so it may be redundant)

EDIT: apologies; somehow it just sounds like sorceror in my head so I always type it that way and didn't notice spellcheck stopping me this time

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 01:40 PM
Libris Mortis is the easiest way to go.

Note that your slam attack is the only attack that can deliver the Energy Drain, you cannot drain with every Unarmed Strike.

Fawsto
2008-01-10, 01:47 PM
Wich, even stated by RAW, makes no sense... o.O

Ok, you can use Monk, but wouldn't you make more damage with swordsage? Pehaps this is not the characters archetype or, like me, you don't want to see core classes being vanquished by new ones XD

Gorbash
2008-01-10, 01:48 PM
SORCERER, IT'S SORCERER, NOT SORCEROR!!!

:smallfurious:

wormwood
2008-01-10, 01:51 PM
Wich, even stated by RAW, makes no sense... o.O

Ok, you can use Monk, but wouldn't you make more damage with swordsage? Pehaps this is not the characters archetype or, like me, you don't want to see core classes being vanquished by new ones XD

Honestly, I first thought of this before ToB came out, so I just stuck with the idea of Monk. Swordsage would probably be better.

I didn't realize that Slam attacks wouldn't be considered the same as the monk's Unarmed attacks. I guess they are technically different but it never occurred to me. That makes no sense in my world and kinda kills the idea.

Nevermind. :|

wormwood
2008-01-10, 01:53 PM
SORCERER, IT'S SORCERER, NOT SORCEROR!!!

:smallfurious:

Sorry for the double-post (assuming i don't get ninja'd) but... I bet you like playing Rouges a lot, too.

:smallsmile:

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 01:53 PM
I didn't realize that Slam attacks wouldn't be considered the same as the monk's Unarmed attacks. I guess they are technically different but it never occurred to me. That makes no sense in my world and kinda kills the idea.

That is what I was afraid of...

Dark Tira
2008-01-10, 03:08 PM
Honestly, I first thought of this before ToB came out, so I just stuck with the idea of Monk. Swordsage would probably be better.

You could go with a vampire instead, their energy drain attacks work with all natural attacks.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 03:12 PM
You could go with a vampire instead, their energy drain attacks work with all natural attacks.

Sure, but it will still only work once per round, so there is not much point.

wormwood
2008-01-10, 03:15 PM
Sure, but it will still only work once per round, so there is not much point.

Yeah, once per round rather kills the level-drainy goodness of it. Back to the proverbial drawing board.

marjan
2008-01-10, 03:25 PM
If you want to slap enemies with negative levels through your unarmed attacks you can do it with Monk/Sorcerer/Enlightened Fist7. Just get Arcane Thesis(Enervation), Split Ray, Empower Spell and Versatile Caster. Use Hold Ray on Split, Empowered Enervation for 7.5 NL per round on avg. Downside of this is that it can be done at lvl12+ only since you don't get Hold Ray until Enlightened Fist7 and you need 5 levels to qualify for it.

mabriss lethe
2008-01-10, 03:28 PM
But you still get the multiple level drainy goodness. It's called your brute-squad. remember that every humanoid you kill rises up as a wight under your command. Neither the SRD nor the excerpt from Libris Mortis make any distinction about what sort of attack has to be used to kill your enemies in order for them to rise.

The_Snark
2008-01-10, 03:33 PM
If you can get a Necrotic Focus (Libris Mortis or Magic Item Compendium) weapon, you can get around the 1/round limit, because the weapon will channel your energy drain ability.

If you have enough money to get two necrotic focus weapons, Two-weapon Fighting could make for a pretty deadly character.

Also note that you don't really need Charisma in the short-term. The saving throw for the negative levels is only to remove them 24 hours later; there's no saving throw to avoid gaining them.

playswithfire
2008-01-10, 03:38 PM
If you can get a Necrotic Focus (Libris Mortis or Magic Item Compendium) weapon, you can get around the 1/round limit, because the weapon will channel your energy drain ability.

If you have enough money to get two necrotic focus weapons, Two-weapon Fighting could make for a pretty deadly character.

Also note that you don't really need Charisma in the short-term. The saving throw for the negative levels is only to remove them 24 hours later; there's no saving throw to avoid gaining them.

Necrotic Focus Scorpion Kama! (36,302 gp; bit pricey but each hit will do your unarmed strike damage +1 and the level drain)
Magic Item Compendium is fun

RTGoodman
2008-01-10, 03:38 PM
I was flipping through Complete Warrior after having read this thread a bit ago, and I came across something. The Warshaper says it can grow new natural weapons and that they don't have to be the same as the creature's regular natural weapons (though it doesn't say that they can't be the same type of natural weapon).

So, could a wight that qualifies (probably through druid levels) spend several turns "growing" slam attacks (that'll last until he wants to get rid of them), each of which drains levels?

(I looked for errata about how many natural attacks you can grow and any other limitations, but I couldn't find any.)

wormwood
2008-01-10, 03:40 PM
remember that every humanoid you kill rises up as a wight under your command.

Unfortunately, I don't think it specifies "under your control," just that they rise as wights.

Good calls on both. I'll now look into some sort of TWF build with a pair of Necrotic Focus weapons. Also, I won't bother with the Charisma so much. :)

How about building the guy? Is taking the rather craptastic 8 levels from Libris Mortis the only way or does someone know of a template with ECL... or would they both come out the same in the end?

marjan
2008-01-10, 03:41 PM
I
So, could a wight that qualifies (probably through druid levels)

That would be interesting to accomplish.:smalltongue:

wormwood
2008-01-10, 03:44 PM

Go ahead and take some defiler levels... Rock the Suck!

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 03:46 PM
I was flipping through Complete Warrior after having read this thread a bit ago, and I came across something. The Warshaper says it can grow new natural weapons and that they don't have to be the same as the creature's regular natural weapons (though it doesn't say that they can't be the same type of natural weapon).

So, could a wight that qualifies (probably through druid levels) spend several turns "growing" slam attacks (that'll last until he wants to get rid of them), each of which drains levels?

(I looked for errata about how many natural attacks you can grow and any other limitations, but I couldn't find any.)

You can grow one new natural weapon.

If you choose a weapon you already posses you do not gain an additional weapon, instead it increases in damage.

marjan
2008-01-10, 03:46 PM
Go ahead and take some defiler levels... Rock the Suck!

Or Suck The Rock.:smallbiggrin:

RTGoodman
2008-01-10, 03:47 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think it specifies "under your control," just that they rise as wights.

According to the SRD: "Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid slain by a wight becomes a wight in 1d4 rounds. Spawn are under the command of the wight that created them and remain enslaved until its death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life." (Emphasis mine)

Well, if you want a way that makes more sense, I guess you could take those Children of Winter feat(s?) from Eberron (I think that's what they're called - they let you wildshape into vermin and have a Vermin companion). Also, once you get high enough level you could go Blighter (from Complete Divine), though it doesn't seem to be very good.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 03:48 PM
How about building the guy? Is taking the rather craptastic 8 levels from Libris Mortis the only way or does someone know of a template with ECL... or would they both come out the same in the end?

I think they would end up being the same and I have not heard of a lesser Wight.

JackMage666
2008-01-10, 04:00 PM
Soul Eater in Book of Vile Darkness is the way to go - From my understanding you don't even need to be a Wight. Basically, it allows you (from 1st level) to make a Touch attack to give a negative level - The trick to this is that you can make a touch attack through a natural weapon or unarmed strike, but you make a regular attack roll rather than a touch attack roll. I believe the rules for that are in Complete Arcane, though they might even be as simple as the PHB.

The_Snark
2008-01-10, 04:03 PM
There's a Wight template in Savage Species with a +4 level adjustment, but it's 3.0 and has some... oddities. For example, it deals two negative levels with every natural attack, but allows a Fortitude save to negate them each time (probably not a good deal).

I'd just go with the Libris Mortis version.

wormwood
2008-01-10, 04:18 PM
According to the SRD: "Create Spawn (Su): Any humanoid slain by a wight becomes a wight in 1d4 rounds. Spawn are under the command of the wight that created them and remain enslaved until its death. They do not possess any of the abilities they had in life." (Emphasis mine)

Sorry. The guy above you was talking about channeling spells. I assumed you were talking about that way of draining levels. I combined your two posts in my head. Oops.

playswithfire
2008-01-10, 04:30 PM
Soul Eater in Book of Vile Darkness is the way to go - From my understanding you don't even need to be a Wight. Basically, it allows you (from 1st level) to make a Touch attack to give a negative level - The trick to this is that you can make a touch attack through a natural weapon or unarmed strike, but you make a regular attack roll rather than a touch attack roll. I believe the rules for that are in Complete Arcane, though they might even be as simple as the PHB.

Half Giant LA 1
Unarmed Swordsage Improved Unarmed Strike, Weapon Focus(Tiger Claw), feat(Alertness)
Unarmed Swordsage
Unarmed Swordsage feat(TWF)
Unarmed Swordsage
Unarmed Swordsage
Unarmed Swordsage feat(Superior Unarmed Strike)
Bloodclaw Master claws of the beast
Bloodclaw Master Superior Two Weapon Fighting
Soul Eater level drain, feat(Improved Natural Attack[unarmed Strike)
Soul Eater
Soul Eater
Soul Eater feat(Improved TWF)
Soul Eater
Soul Eater
Soul Eater feat(Greater TWF), 2 level drain

Two Necrotic Focus Scorpion Kamas and a monk's belt (86000 gp or so) and you've got attacks at BAB 12/12/7/7/2/2 that all do 4d6+STR plus two level drains at ECL 16

wormwood
2008-01-10, 04:53 PM
That looks awesome. Why the half giant, though?
Also, my DM wouldn't ever allow it... he's banned BoVD and BoED. I actually helped talk him into that after a previous DM continually hit us with stuff from BoVD. Doh!

playswithfire
2008-01-10, 05:10 PM
That looks awesome. Why the half giant, though?

Because soul eater requires non-humanoid and powerful build makes unarmed damage a size bigger (or so I understand) Also, they have power points and in the back of my head I want to get War Mind level 5 into it somehow to get sweeping strike. I think you'd need education or something to get Knowledge(psionics) as a class skill and get in at 5.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 05:11 PM
Soul Eater requires a non-humanoid creature to qualify.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-10, 05:14 PM
powerful build makes unarmed damage a size bigger (or so I understand)

No, they can use weapons a category larger without penalty, but that does not affect natural weapons, since you cannot opt to change the size of your natural weapons.

Person_Man
2008-01-10, 05:57 PM
1) Find a way to get Energy Drain as a Supernatural Ability. As far as I know this means you have to be a Vampire, Vampire Spawn, or Wight. But I'm sure there are other methods out there.

2) You now qualify for the Improved Energy Drain feat from Libris Mortis. Now "Whenever you bestow a negative level upon a creature, you gain a +1 bonus on skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws for 1 hour." Notice that the bonus is untyped.

3) You now also qualify for the Spell Drain feat, which gives you Spellthief like abilities whenever you bestow a negative level. You can have a maximum number of stolen spells equal to your Charisma bonus.

4) Summon tons of animals, monsters, or whatever. Preferably monsters that can cast prepared spells, like an Archon, so that your Spell Drain ability works on them as well. Buy a wand and have a friend do it for you if you have to. Drain all of them. Gain a huge bonus, and perhaps a bunch of stored spells.

5) For extra fun, take Arcane Strike, so that you can channel the spells you steal into extra damage.

6) Profit!!!

You might also want to buy a Life Drinker (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Life-Drinker), or be a spellcaster and take the Fell Draining feat, just to improve your level draining abilities in combat.

Also, I think you may be able to qualify for this combo by taking a few levels of Kensai. His Signature Weapon is a Supernatural Ability. Enchant your fists or other natural weapons with the ability to drain levels somehow, and viola. By RAW I don't think this method works, but results may vary based on what your DM thinks. But at the very least, it would allow a Wight Monk build to be viable.

Gorbash
2008-01-10, 07:05 PM
Sorry for the double-post (assuming i don't get ninja'd) but... I bet you like playing Rouges a lot, too.

:smallsmile:

I do. How did you know? I like grammar, too.

The_Snark
2008-01-10, 07:46 PM
1) Find a way to get Energy Drain as a Supernatural Ability. As far as I know this means you have to be a Vampire, Vampire Spawn, or Wight. But I'm sure there are other methods out there.

2) You now qualify for the Improved Energy Drain feat from Libris Mortis. Now "Whenever you bestow a negative level upon a creature, you gain a +1 bonus on skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws for 1 hour." Notice that the bonus is untyped.

3) You now also qualify for the Spell Drain feat, which gives you Spellthief like abilities whenever you bestow a negative level. You can have a maximum number of stolen spells equal to your Charisma bonus.

Oh yes, forgot about those. Good feats, all of those. Life Drain can be another good feat... although it's less effective than it would be for, say, a succubus. Might want to put some of those points back into Charisma if you go for it.

playswithfire
2008-01-10, 09:04 PM
Or, as mentioned, the Soul Eater prestige class grants Energy Drain as a supernatural ability. a revision to my earlier build

Half-Giant
LA 1/Ranger 2/Unarmed Swordsage 3/Warmind 1/Soul Eater 1/Bloodclaw Master 2/Soul Eater +6/War Mind +4

1 Exotic Weapon Proficiency(kama)
Two Weapon Fighting (Ranger 2)
flaw Education
3 Alertness
Weapon Focus(tiger claw weapons: notably unarmed strike, claw and kama) (Swordsage 1)
6 Superior Unarmed Strike
Claws of the beast (Bloodclaw Master 1)
Superior Two Weapon Fighting (Bloodclaw Master 2)
9 Improved Natural Attack(unarmed Strike)
12 Improved Two Weapon Fighting
15 Greater Two Weapon Fighting
18 Improved Energy Drain
Sweeping Strike (War Mind 5)
It ends up being a bit MAD as only INT can really be sacrificed, unless you skip Improved Energy Drain, then CHA can be ignored a bit as well.

BAB 17, so use Psionic Lion's Charge from war mind to get pounce, then do your 7 attacks (BAB 17/17/12/12/7/7/2) to each of 2 adjacent characters, each hit draining 2 levels and reaping the benefits thereof

You do this with Two Necrotic Focus Scorpion Kamas and a monk's belt for 3d6 damage on each attack +1 + STR + energy drain

mabriss lethe
2008-01-10, 11:46 PM
eww. ugly thought.

Take a wight through a minimum of 8 levels of spellthief. Gain access to second level spells. Learn Whirling Blade and enchant a sickle with necrotic focus. (you could also go the route of improved energy drain and spell drain for double spell sucking fun.) Attack using the spell, deal melee damage/sneak attack/theive/energy drain to everyone in a line. reap the benefits, lather, rinse, repeat.

(I can't remember what the word is on multiple target spells and sneak attack, but really that's just the icing on the cake.)

it means that you can hit a theoretical maximum of 12 medium sized assailants (crowded room/narrow hallway) with your highest BAB for strength+1d6+2d6 sneak*( but only for targets within the first 30 feet.)+level drain

You reap a +1 bonus on skill checks, ability checks, attack rolls, and saving throws for 1 hour (per target? dunno about that. clarification from anyone in the know? Untyped bonuses should stack with themselves...but... who knows.) have the potential to strip spells from both spellthief levels and spell drain and anyone killed rises as a slave under your control in 1d4 rounds.

I think that sounds like a very fun character.

Person_Man
2008-01-11, 12:29 AM
Or, as mentioned, the Soul Eater prestige class grants Energy Drain as a supernatural ability. a revision to my earlier build.

Wow. Just looked at Soul Eater. It has light entry requirements and grants Energy Drain as a Supernatural Ability on its first level. That will let pretty much any Evil PC or NPC with a natural weapon (such as a Monk's fists) can get into it, qualify for Improved Energy Drain and Spell Drain, and then use the Kensai trick so that they can drain levels on every attack.

MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Of course, Book of Vile Darkness is 3.0 material, and a DM would be nuts to let this in their game. But it might be fun for a BBEG.

Talic
2008-01-11, 02:12 AM

If you qualify through druid levels, you don't qualify. Wildshape does not work, as a general rule of thumb, on creatures with the undead type. There is a feat available to bypass that, I believe.

Because soul eater requires non-humanoid and powerful build makes unarmed damage a size bigger (or so I understand) Also, they have power points and in the back of my head I want to get War Mind level 5 into it somehow to get sweeping strike. I think you'd need education or something to get Knowledge(psionics) as a class skill and get in at 5.

Powerful build does not give you improved damage on unarmed strikes. You may use weapons 1 size category larger, and you are treated as large on opposed checks if doing so is advantageous.

Unless you can find a way to steal and graft an ogre's hands, it's hard to use a large set of fists.

playswithfire
2008-01-11, 04:34 PM
To return to the idea of having a wight monk actually do this with his flurry etc and not other ways to do it, is there a problem with said wight monk wearing a Necklace of +1 Necrotic Focus Natural Attacks? (Necklace of Natural Attacks from Savage Species). Costs 16,600 but it lets him do what he wants to: flurry of level draining, right?