PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about my character?

rickvoid
2008-01-10, 01:51 PM
SilverClawShift's horror story inspired me to want to play an Archivist. In the group I'll be using this with, our characters will start at level two (or ECL 2 for our level adjusted friends). He is a Middle Aged Human Monk/Archivist. I only took the monk class as a one level dip (first level), so I'm not worried about not being able to advance as one further. I intend to stay an archivist the rest of the way.

I don't know the block style format, so I'll just post as I've got it down in my notebook:
Alignment:LN Age: 38 (Middle Aged)
Str: 13 -1 (age effect)=12 (+1)
Dex: 15 -1 (age effect)=14 (+2)
Con: 16 -1 (age effect)=15 (+2)
Int: 17 +1 (" ")=18 (+4)
Wis: 17 +1 (" ")=18 (+4)
Cha: 15 +1 (" ")=16 (+3)
(Legally rolled, just got lucky. I love my metal dice, I call them my Metal Gear.)
(Snake: METAL GEAR!? *runs off*)
HP: 8+2+6+2=18 AC: 10+2(Dex)+0(Armor)+4(Wis,thanks monk!)=16
BAB=0 BABM=1 BABR=2 Initiative:2(Dex)+4(feat,Improved Intitative)=6
Fort:4+2=6 Ref:2+2=4 Will:4+4=8
Skill Points:32(Monk)+4(Human)+8(Arch)+1(Human)=45
Languages: Common, Draconic, Abyssal, Celestial, Infernal
Class Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike (Monk), Scribe Scroll (Arch), Stunning Fist(Monk), Monk Weapons, Simple Weapons, Light/Medium Armor
Bonus Feats: Improved Initiative, Skill Focus (Knowledge (Religion))
Skills:
Concentration:4+2(Con)=6 Diplomacy: 4+3(Cha)+2(Synergy)=9 Knowledge (Arcana): 5+4(Int)=9 (Dungeoneering): 2+4(Int)=6 (Religion): 5+4(Int)+3(Focus)=12 (The Planes): 2+4(Int)=6 Listen: 4+4(Wis)=8 Move Silently: 4+2(Dex)=6 Profession(Scribe):4+4(Int)=8 Sense Motive:5+4(Wis)=9 Spellcraft:2+4(Int)+2(Synergy)=8 Spot:4+4(Int)=8
Spells/Day
0=3, 1=2(+1,bonus spell)
Spells in Prayerbook
All level 0, Bane, Bless, Bless Water, Cure Light, Detect Undead, Hide From Undead, Shield of Faith.
Class Abilites
Flurry of Blows (-2), 1d6 Unarmed Damage, Wis bonus to AC, Dark Knowledge (Tactics) 3/day

Sooo... could I have done something better? I know about the monks belt granting the ac bonus, but I wouldn't get it at level 2, and I got some other stuff from my monk dip that I like. It also goes to flavor for me.
Quick question, are the class skills from monk (spot and listen, etc) class skills for me when I take my second level of Archivist?

*Solid Snake apears with rocket launcher* Snake: METAL GEAR!!!!!

Oh crap!! *runs away*

Artanis
2008-01-10, 01:57 PM
Quick question, are the class skills from monk (spot and listen, etc) class skills for me when I take my second level of Archivist?
I think how it works is like this:

-When spending skill points, skills only count as class skills for the class you take at that level. For example, when you take a level of Archivist, only the skills on the Archivist list are 1 point per rank, everything else (even Monk skills that aren't on the Archivist list) is 2 points per rank.
-When determining your max rank, a skill that's a class skill for any of the character's classes has the usual max of level+3, with anything else having a max of half that. For example, when you take a level of Monk, then later take a level of Archivist, the max for all skills is CL+3, regardless of what it costs to buy them at the time.

rickvoid
2008-01-10, 02:08 PM
That's what I thought. Good, now I don't have to juggle my skill points around. Unfortunately, that means my spot and listen checks are going to be stuck at 8 until I feel like blowing skill points on them in cross-class. Ah well, at least I got them that high.

I didn't post gear yet, because I'm not sure what will be available, I don't have the heroes of horror book (got the archivist off wizards site, and they didn't include starting gold, so I no clue as to what my gold would look like at level 2) and I intend to use my level 3 character feat on Exotic Weapon (Hand Crossbow). Obviously I won't be wearing armor. :)

Wordmiser
2008-01-10, 02:51 PM
Sooo... could I have done something better?
Definitely.

To actually tell you how to improve your character, though, I need to know your concept. Why do you want Monk levels? What about Archivist do you find so appealing (what sorts of spells do you want to use)? Why do you want Hand Crossbow proficiency? Are you planning to enter a specific Prestige Class later on?

Also, we'll need to know the available resources if you want any suggestions.

rickvoid
2008-01-10, 05:15 PM
Okie dokie. As to my resources, I'm limited to PHB, Races of Ebberon (which isn't gonna help me much here), and the collection of pdf's from Crystal Keep. I don't even have a DMG or MM.

As to the concept, I want him to be the knowledgeble sage. The older guy that seems to know lots about everything. Fluff-wise, he has one level in monk because he spent his formative years in a monastery. Mechanics wise, I took a one level monk dip so that I could add my wisdom bonus to my AC; this is because as a caster it's not necessarily in my best interest to wear armor, but I'd like to be able to survive a few rounds of combat. It also let me put 4 points into listen and spot, so I might be able to notice those frigging ninja goblins. I'm going with a hand crossbow because I think they're kind of cool, and my dex bonus is higher than my strength. If you know of a better ranged weapon, let me know.

I really don't have any interest in taking a prestige class later on, I plan to stay Archivist the rest of the way ahead.

Anyway, what's the starting gold for a level 2 character like mine? And, from that amount, is there a magic item I should try to get my hands on right away? I'm thinking some variant of a amulet of natural armor (would have to be a low bonus) or maybe a wis boosting ring (extra spells, higher ac, it's win-win).