PDA

View Full Version : To die would be an awfully big adventure...

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-10, 06:48 PM
...and Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to climb Mount Everest, began this next greatest adventure today at age 88.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321906,00.html

From one hiker/explorer to another, I salute you sir Hillary.

Vaynor
2008-01-10, 06:59 PM
That's sad, though, according to the report he lived quite the fulfilling life, which is good.

Icewalker
2008-01-10, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I just saw that news before coming here. Too bad. Good luck!

SDF
2008-01-10, 07:04 PM
Death is the only adventure you have left.

88 is a nice, big, even number. Think he made it to epic level?

Fax Celestis
2008-01-10, 07:08 PM
Sir Hillary, I salute you.

Eita
2008-01-10, 07:14 PM
Truly his life was one worth living. The world shall ache with the passing of such a hero.

Mr. Moon
2008-01-10, 07:16 PM
And I should care why?

Don't get me wrong. It's sad that he died and all, but does it really deserve a thread on a forum he probably never even heard of?

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-10, 07:23 PM
And I should care why?

Don't get me wrong. It's sad that he died and all, but does it really deserve a thread on a forum he probably never even heard of?
Because he was a real life adventurer not to mention a humanitarian who helped a lot of people?

If you feel that threads on GITP only need to be D&D-based, one might could say he was a real life, high level PC. How's that?

Eita
2008-01-10, 07:37 PM
He was an epic-level Mountaineer.

EvilElitest
2008-01-10, 07:39 PM
And I should care why?

Dude, first man to climb the biggest mountain in the world, you gotta respect that
from
EE

Raiser Blade
2008-01-10, 07:41 PM
And I should care why?

If you don't care than why post in this thread?

I personally have come to pay my respects.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-10, 07:46 PM
He was an epic-level Mountaineer.
Not to mention was a for real and honorary Knight. One of only a very few at the time.

Skippy
2008-01-10, 07:52 PM
...and Sir Edmund Hillary, the first man to climb Mount Everest, began this next greatest adventure today at age 88.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,321906,00.html

From one hiker/explorer to another, I salute you sir Hillary.

Did he leave any loot??

Just kidding. People like him are worthy of being followed. My best wishes to Sir Hillary's family.

Felixaar
2008-01-10, 08:23 PM
Yeah, it was sad to hear of his death and only find out about all the other great things he has done only now that he has died, but still, wishing him all the best with future endeavours (and yes I realise that he's dead).

For the mention, did anyone else not realise he was still alive?

Balkash
2008-01-10, 08:42 PM
The World misses you

Mr. Moon
2008-01-10, 10:01 PM
Because he was a real life adventurer not to mention a humanitarian who helped a lot of people?

If you feel that threads on GITP only need to be D&D-based, one might could say he was a real life, high level PC. How's that?

That's not what I meant. Let me explain.

Meet Bob. Bob's the janitor at a local hockey rink in Regina. He's done so much for the town, they've lost track of it. He knows everyone, and everyone knows him. But when Bob dies of a heart-attack, does the world mourn? Of course not. Because he didn't climb a mountain, or write a song, or fight for an army, or do anything monumental. He was just a janitor in Regina.

I don't mean any offense to Sir Hillary, or any of you. Yes, he was a good man, and yes, he accomplished a respectable feat. But it really grinds my gears when he gets missed and Bob doesn't.

There. Rant done. Call me a bad person if you will, flame me if it makes you feel better. But that's how I feel, and it won't change.

The Vorpal Tribble
2008-01-10, 10:27 PM
Usually folks who do something extraordinary are remembered more than Bob who was merely a nice guy who cleaned toilets. This guy climbed the mountain, yes, and that is inspiring. However, he also gave a lot to folks and spent much of his life helping others.

Anyone who does that would be worth a thread. This Sir Hillary though also has the added bonus of doing something absolutely unheard of before in addition.

No one is calling you anything or flaming you at all. Do you want them to or something?

Mr. Moon
2008-01-10, 10:44 PM
You're right, and that's what bugs me. Perhaps he deserves to be missed world-wide. I wouldn't know, I never studied the man. Yet we wouldn't even know he was dead if the media hadn't decided to shine it's light on his death-bed.

Fifty years ago, landing on the moon was unheard of, too. Now we're working on getting to Mars. As times change, more things can be accomplished.

No, but I got the feel that some people wanted to. Maybe I've been spending to much time on Gaia...

thubby
2008-01-10, 11:13 PM
If only we could all die as such (wo)men

SilentNight
2008-01-10, 11:27 PM
May he find eternal happiness in the great mountain in the sky. He was truly a great man.

In other news it seems to be a bad week for octogenarians, the founder of my community's local theater died at the ripe old age of 86. An epic bard.

Raistlin1040
2008-01-10, 11:41 PM
You're right, and that's what bugs me. Perhaps he deserves to be missed world-wide. I wouldn't know, I never studied the man. Yet we wouldn't even know he was dead if the media hadn't decided to shine it's light on his death-bed.

Fifty years ago, landing on the moon was unheard of, too. Now we're working on getting to Mars. As times change, more things can be accomplished.

No, but I got the feel that some people wanted to. Maybe I've been spending to much time on Gaia...

So if Neil Armstrong died tomorrow, I shouldn't make a thread dedicated to his memory?

If Paul McCartney, or Ringo Starr, or one of the Rolling Stones, or Bill Gates dies, I shouldn't make a thread in their memory, dedicated to their accomplishments?

Why not?

Bob the janitor died. He will be missed by his family and friends. The first man to climb Everest dies, and a legion of mountain climbers, the entire hiking community mourns. Is it fair? Maybe, maybe not. It's true though.

It sounds stupid, but as long as someone is remembered, they're not really dead. And while Bob the janitor won't make national papers because of his death, his friends and family will remember him. And that should be enough.

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-11, 01:37 AM
And really, if Bob the Janitor was such a spectacular guy and someone who did know him were to post a thread saying "I'm sad that Bob has passed, he meant so much to our community" then that would be perfectly acceptable as well, and many many more of us will then have heard of Bob. We just can't all know all the Bob's that are out there.

My point? Bob would be deserving of a thread too, but it's not our fault if we don't know of him. Sir Hillary's scaling of Mount Everest just meant that a lot of people were aware of his existence already.

In that vein, Florence Arnold, 75, passed away peacefully on December 20th, 2007 near Tulsa, Oklahoma. She was an active member of her church and her community, including being a volunteer for the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army. In addition to helping others, she enjoyed gardening clear up until the day she passed. She's survived by 2 sons, 4 daughters, 19 grandchildren, 21 great-grandchildren, and 1 great-great-grandson. That great-great-grandson is my grandson. She will be missed by all who knew her.

Eita
2008-01-11, 01:48 AM
And now she shall be missed by everyone here as well.

Paragon Badger
2008-01-11, 02:07 AM
And here I was, frightened that the Vorpal Tribble was announcing his own death. :smallamused:

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-11, 02:13 AM
Heres to that Guy Who Was Stupid Enough To Climb A Really Big, Potentially Lethal Rock, But Smart Enough To Survive And Crazy Enough To Make It To The Top.

And here is to Bob!

And to Mrs. Arnold!

/me salutes

Kaelaroth
2008-01-11, 11:31 AM
Dude, first man to climb the biggest mountain in the world, you gotta respect that
from
EE

*cough*

Actually... that's debatable.

*cough*

Oh, and I didn't really know anything about the guy, but I'm sure many will mourn him, and I care for them.

bosssmiley
2008-01-11, 01:45 PM
Not to mention was a for real and honorary Knight. One of only a very few at the time.

Nothing honorary about his knighthood VT; Sir Edmund (how old school a name for a knight is that?! :smallcool: ) was a subject of her Britannic Majesty and a full fledged Knight of the Garter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Garter). This means he was not only a great mountaineer, but could also protect the rest of his party from Yeti attack by issuing timely knightly challenges (see PHB2).

The thing I thought coolest about him though. Edmund Hillary always maintained that he and Tensing Norgay reached the top of the mountain together. None of that "Who was first?" crap for him.

*cough* Actually... that's debatable. *cough*

Quite right. A lot of people believe that George Mallory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory) made it to the peak in 1924. But, as Sir Edmund himself said; it doesn't really count unless you get back home alive. :smalleek:

A true gentleman and one of the last (real) great explorers. The world is a little poorer for losing him.

Smeik
2008-01-11, 02:20 PM
*salutes to Sir Edmund Hillary*

*salutes to Florence Arnold*

*salutes to Bob the janitor*

I'm sure you didn't live and die in vain. Someone will remember you. Nobody cares how many.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-11, 04:07 PM
Quite right. A lot of people believe that George Mallory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Mallory) made it to the peak in 1924. But, as Sir Edmund himself said; it doesn't really count unless you get back home alive. :smalleek:

A true gentleman and one of the last (real) great explorers. The world is a little poorer for losing him.

I forget the name, currently, but even though Mount Everrest is the tallest point Above sea level on the planet, it is not the tallest mountain.
There is at least one larger mountain, with the base and majority of the mountain below sea level.

Still, thats a REALLY big rock.

Vuzzmop
2008-01-11, 04:16 PM
Death is the only adventure you have left.

88 is a nice, big, even number. Think he made it to epic level?

Of course he did! They invented it just for him!

Hazkali
2008-01-11, 04:41 PM
I forget the name, currently, but even though Mount Everrest is the tallest point Above sea level on the planet, it is not the tallest mountain.
There is at least one larger mountain, with the base and majority of the mountain below sea level.

I don't think it counts as climbing if it's done in flippers and a wetsuit...

As for Sir Edmund Hillary, to my shame I don't know much about the man but from what I have seen recently, he was an inspiration, and as such, he should be remembered. Good luck to him, wherever he is.

Scorpina
2008-01-11, 04:49 PM
As for Sir Hillary

*nitpick* Sir Edmund. Sir goes before the forename, not the surname.

The_Chilli_God
2008-01-11, 04:53 PM
More was the pity, Sir Ed was scheduled to be released from hospital the morning that he died.

They're going to have a state funeral for him, and I might actually attend it, depending on where/when it is around here.
It's not likely, though, but it's possible.

Well done, Sir Ed. You got a high score on the game of Life.

feghoot
2008-01-11, 04:57 PM
"So if Neil Armstrong died tomorrow, I shouldn't make a thread dedicated to his memory?

If Paul McCartney, or Ringo Starr, or one of the Rolling Stones, or Bill Gates dies, I shouldn't make a thread in their memory, dedicated to their accomplishments?"

dude, if any of them die a movie about him would be released about a month later.

Hope there's mountains in the afterlife for Mr.Hillary.

JessSoccer
2008-01-11, 04:58 PM
And kudo's for the quote that is the title of this thread. One of my favorite movies, and very appropriate.

PS, I climb, and this dude was amazing, no matter how you put it. Whether the world mourns him or not, I dont care, but I will.

Hazkali
2008-01-11, 05:29 PM
*nitpick* Sir Edmund. Sir goes before the forename, not the surname.

My apologies. I'll amend my post.

Eita
2008-01-11, 05:42 PM

It's one of the Hawaiian volcanoes.

Thanatos 51-50
2008-01-11, 07:04 PM
Thanks!
*Also, consider yourself murdered in accordance to a SMBG*
I know its mostly underwater - getting to the bottom would be a bigger feat than getting to the top.

Jalor
2008-01-11, 07:37 PM
Hats off to both Sir Edmund and Bob.

He'll probably really like climbing that gigantic mountain in the afterlife though.

Edit: The "He'll" in above sentence refers to Sir Edmund.