PDA

View Full Version : Defeating a Druid

shaka gl
2008-01-10, 06:57 PM
So, there`s a Dry Lich Druid Lvl 18 in a mine, and although you dont need to defeat him, you do need to last at least 10 rounds to ruin his plans. You are a lvl 12 party (druid, monk, sorcerer and ranger) with the help of a nymph. Which magical objects/spells can help this party last long enough?

squishycube
2008-01-10, 07:00 PM
Spam heightened Sanctuaries (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sanctuary.htm) and hope the druid fails its save often enough (it should).

marjan
2008-01-10, 07:04 PM
Freedom of Movement, Superior Resistance, Stoneskin, Mass Resist Energy, Deathward, Mirror Image, Magic Circle Against Evil...

If anyone has counterspell this is good situation to use it. Aside from that try to make him focus on monk.

As for items pack on healing scrolls/wands/potions.

Basically anything boosting their defenses is good bet if all they need to do is survive.

FinalJustice
2008-01-10, 07:16 PM
Wait, it's a level 18 Druid with 9th spells and stuff or just a regular Dry Lich with 13 Druid levels?

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-10, 07:39 PM
To become a dry lich, one must take 10 levels of Walker in the Waste PrC. So the Druid's CL would be at least 13.

shadowdemon_lord
2008-01-10, 08:01 PM
Yeah, what's the caster level on this guy, and do you think he'll know the PC's are coming? Are the PC's going to see the opening volley be a quickened wall of thorns followed by an empowered fire storm (while the animal companion buffed with greater magic fang, bark-skin, and freedom of movement charges right through the wall of thorns and starts wailing on party members)? Or better yet, might he have an elemental swarm waiting for you guys? Or maybe say screw the prep, just start dropping giant constrictor snakes with quickened summon natures ally five (while he wails on you guys with spells and animal companion? Ninth level spells are scary...

DementedFellow
2008-01-11, 11:55 AM
No no no you guys. The Walker in the Waste/Dry Lich is my favorite combo. The main weakness of the Dry Lich is his aversion to water. For game purposes, regular water reacts to him like holy water.

Decanter of Endless Water is a powerful tool in beating him. And could kill him in a few rounds if you utilize is properly. Such as flooding the cave with water. Barring the Decanter, just keep dousing him with water. It hurts him and gives him a negative modifier on his attack rolls.

The Salt Mummies and Sand Golems are different stories. The Sand Golems are weaker than typical golems, but have an attack that could suffocate the attacking party member. I cannot locate my book right now, but if I recall correctly, one of the transmutation spells (such as transmute stone to mud - but probably not that spell) will harm it and greatly hinder its movements.

The Salt Mummy is another beasty. But it still can be dealt with. Lob it with spells, basically.

The Dry Lich is a powerhouse because it has a 100 foot area that increases the temperature two bands hotter. This may or may not be dangerous depending on how deep the cave is, but if the party is ill-prepared for heat effects, they are sitting ducks. He also has the power to turn someone into a salt statue as a spell-like ability. So bring people with high will saves, otherwise you're assured one party member is going down. Frankly, I'm having trouble believing a 12-th level party could survive an encounter with a dry lich who is level 18. The Walker in the Waste and the Dry Lich template let the creature advance in the spell levels of the existing class. So think of all the creatures a 16th (I think they lose two spell levels through the walker in the waste PrC) level druid can summon.

Adumbration
2008-01-11, 12:01 PM
I'm getting intrigued by this Walker in the Waste PrC.

DementedFellow
2008-01-11, 12:27 PM
Found my book.

Salt mummies - just throw water balloons at it because it has the same weakness to water that the Dry Lich has.

Aha, okay I was a little wrong. The Sand golem is affected by the earthquake spell - it deals 3d12 damage and causes him to not move in his next round

Also the vitrify spell negates his damage reduction for one round

Flaywind burst spell and blast of sand spell heal him instead of hurting him.

For logical reasons, I do not endorse casting earthquake inside a cave.:smallbiggrin: