PDA

View Full Version : Stormreaver Warlock?

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-10, 07:34 PM
I was curious if there was the equivalent of the like a storm-caller Warlock, like a warlock thats throws around lightning and calls sonic booms of thunder and all that jazz, because that would just be really fun to play.

Ellisande
2008-01-11, 08:56 AM
Were I to try to do this, I'd do it mostly with fluff--Eldritch Blasts represented as lightning bolts (perhaps modified by the Eldritch Spear invocation), and so on, with invocation choices to match the theme.

In fact, that's pretty much what I did with my most recent warlock to give him a water theme--his EBs were jets of water, he had the "Swimming the Styx" invocation, and so on.

(Sorry I can't give advice on reflavouring other invocations to a storm-warlock, but I don't have the books with me. But hopefully this gives one idea of how to do it.)

Burley
2008-01-11, 09:28 AM
Well, I'm hoping that I have the same idea for this it as you do, but here's what I'm imagining.
Flying through the air (So, take Fell Flight) showering lightning down. (Maybe take Brinstone Blast and modify it to do electricity damage instead of cold.)
For a more lightning-y feel, the Eldritch Chain blast shape, as well as Eldritch Doom later on, always have the look and feel of a lightning bolt in m' head.
Thunder? Obvious choice is the Invocation that acts as Shatter (name).
Also, there is an alertnate class feature in the Player's Handbook II that you may wanna look at. It's called Fiendish Flamewreath or something, but you can just turn the fire damage to electricity, and nobody would really know. Sure it takes the place of your fast healing, but it's two minutes of reactionary attacks...pretty cool. Plus, it's two minutes of being covering in crackling electricity. I'd say that's an intimidation bonus. :smallwink:
For feats, I'd suggest taking the Fey Heritage feats from the Complete Mage (?). They wouldn't help much with the stormy part, but they will help you pump that DR/Cold Iron up really fast at low levels. A human Warlock can have a DR-5 or 6/Cold Iron at level 6 or 7, I think. It's not golem-like proportions, but it'll keep the pesky kobold minions at bay while you're shocking that bloody BBEG until his heart stops.
Remember to put lots of ranks in Use Magic Device. There are tons of stormy spells that you can get scrolled and wanded for you.

After all of that, you could have gotten your powers from Thor, instead of a demon or fey... Durkon'd be happy. :smallredface:

Person_Man
2008-01-11, 10:02 AM
If you want to be an all day electricity blaster, your best bet is Dragonfire Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2). They can change their breath weapon to lightning at 2nd level.

Alternatively, there's an arcane PrC called the Stormcaller that rocks. But you'd have to be a Wizard or Sorcerer to get into it.

If you're stuck on being a Warlock, I would just change the fluff, and describe your blasts as being like lightning. A Warlock's damage scales very poorly. One of the few advantages that it has is that the damage is untyped, and thus is not subject to Energy Resistance or Immunity.

Ryuuk
2008-01-11, 10:04 AM
If you want to refluff some invocations, try these:

Flee the Scene = Ride the Lightning: You become pure energy and instantaneously reappear somewhere else, leaving an image of yourself behind (trail of lightning being optional, it wouldn't harm anything, but it would look pretty cool)

Voracious Dispelling/Devour Magic = Purge/Salvaging Purge: A jolt of electricity courses though your target before flying into your hand, (SP) invigorating you with the converted energy. (Name's from Warcraft III, the orc shamans had an identical ability so I thought it would fit. Again, it won't harm anything but it'll look pretty neat)

Dark Discoporation = Pure State: Your body shifts to a state of pure energy, filling the air around you with the crackling of thunder and the flashing of lightning. (It works well with as a swarm, you could change the swarm attack to do lightning damage, but it's fine as is. )

LibraryOgre
2008-01-11, 05:04 PM
Random thought: What would people think of a feat which allowed a Warlock to apply Eldritch Spear and one other Blast Shape feat to his EB? He would need to have ES and the other BS invocation, of course, as prerequisites. Would it be overpowered, in context with the warlock?

Quirinus_Obsidian
2008-01-11, 07:40 PM
If you want to be an all day electricity blaster, your best bet is Dragonfire Adept (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060912a&page=2). They can change their breath weapon to lightning at 2nd level.

Alternatively, there's an arcane PrC called the Stormcaller that rocks. But you'd have to be a Wizard or Sorcerer to get into it.

If you're stuck on being a Warlock, I would just change the fluff, and describe your blasts as being like lightning. A Warlock's damage scales very poorly. One of the few advantages that it has is that the damage is untyped, and thus is not subject to Energy Resistance or Immunity.

"Stormcaster". No worries though. Stormreaver does sound cool too. =)

The Warlock blas it subject to SR though, which is OK per the rules, but a little upsetting.

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-11, 10:44 PM
Well I liked the idea because I was thinking about the sources of Warlock powers and there are alot of storm based evil demons and deities and stuff, like Talos the Storm Lord or Wejinhastala The Tempest and Ubothar The Thunder below, (personally I like Talos best but he's an FR deity only unless I miss my guess) And it would be awesome to just hurl lightning and booms of thunder all over.