PDA

View Full Version : Need some help with a Lizardfolk Gestalt

Ghal Marak
2008-01-11, 12:06 AM
Hello! I am creating a character for a gestalt game, and I'm not too sure about my creation, as I've never made one before. SO, what I need is someone to check it for me and confirm that it is mechanically sound. Here's the Searoar (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=7082). Also, I've got three of the six feats selected. If anybody has some feat suggestions, that would be great.

Oh, and before I forget, there are a couple of DM rules at work here. Namely, the removal of LA (much more complex than I credit the rule with) and Max HD. I think that's about it.

Thanks for the help! :smallsmile:

Xefas
2008-01-11, 12:19 AM
First, I must ask...are you committed to doing Warmage instead of Sorcerer?

If not, here's a link to the Why There Is No Reason to Play a Warmage When We Have Sorcerers (http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=963854) guide.

Either way, though, I suggest dropping Skill Focus (Concentration) since even without it you have a high enough bonus to automatically make your Casting Defensively checks. To not provoke attacks of opportunity, you need to make a DC (15 + the level of the spell) Concentration checks. The highest spell you can cast is 7th level, ergo you only need to make a 22 to not provoke an AoO, which you can make rolling a 1 or higher (so, always).

Maybe invest in some metamagic?

Ghal Marak
2008-01-11, 12:29 AM
I went Warmage because I wanted blastyness. Also, there were already a bunch of Wizards and Sorcerers, and I felt like being different (Plus casting in armor). :smallsmile: But, if Sorcerer is a whole lot better than Warmage I would probably be swayed to change it. I'll read over the link you gave me.

Just metamagic? I shouldn't take anything to help the Barbarian side?

Xefas
2008-01-11, 12:51 AM
If you really really want to cast in armor, there is the UA Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer). It takes away some spellcasting, and gives you the ability to wear Light Armor without Arcane Spell Failure.

As a bonus, it also lets you take the Battle Caster feat from Complete Arcane, which lets you cast in Medium Armor without spell failure (and you already have the medium proficiency from your Barbarian side).

Not sure on the feats, but Power Attack enhances your melee bits quite adequately. If you want a little more oomph, then the Shock Trooper feat (Complete Warrior) might help.

Also, if you have Complete Champion, you might want to look over the Lion Totem (Barbarian alternate class feature) if Lions are thematically appropriate for you...

Wordmiser
2008-01-11, 12:53 AM
Question:
What are those Lizardman Hit Dice doing on your Spellcasting side?
Fix that.

Follow-up Question:
Why are both of your classes entirely active? Neither has any ability to defend itself when it isn't driving a full-bore offense.
Fix that--you only have so many actions per combat.
There's no reason to use a gestalt character if both sides aren't contributing.

Replace the Barbarian with anything--be it Fighter, Ranger, Favored Soul, Paladin, Hexblade, Marshal, Monk... Hell, even a Bard.

Draz74
2008-01-11, 01:00 AM
Just metamagic? I shouldn't take anything to help the Barbarian side?

I think, when people see a Barbarian//full caster gestalt combo, they assume the Barbarian side is mostly in there just to get you a ton of HP, and won't actually be actively used much, because actively being a full caster is so much more potent.

In fact, I'd endorse that to some extent, and suggest that you switch to Lizardman/Barbarian//Sorcerer instead of Lizardman/Sorcerer//Barbarian.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-11, 01:15 AM
I could switch out Barbarian for Fighter or something (fighter would give me loads of feats), but then I would lose some skills and hp. I could go Ranger and get a whole bunch more skills, but I'm not totaly sure about it. Maybe Hexblade, but I can't remember what it gets off hand.

And remember, there is already a whole lot of caster action from the other prospective players. I was just gonna throw some damage spells at a distance if I can't reach'em in one move turn.

Wordmiser
2008-01-11, 01:35 AM
I could switch out Barbarian for Fighter or something (fighter would give me loads of feats), but then I would lose some skills and hp. I could go Ranger and get a whole bunch more skills, but I'm not totaly sure about it. Maybe Hexblade, but I can't remember what it gets off hand.
Barbarian skills are barely worthwhile anyway. Take Improved Toughness at first level and you'll be even as far as hit points go. If you have Complete Mage, the variant there is pretty nice for Gestalt (you trade Heavy and Medium armors for the ability to ignore spell failure in light armor on spells).

Actually, combining that with the Stalwart Sorcerer (also in Complete Mage) would push your hit points far beyond the Barbarian's. 'Course then you're even more limited in spell options than normal.

Hexblades are very front-loaded with neat defensive abilities... the first four levels give Mettle, the ability to add your Charisma to saves against spells, a minor debuff and a ridiculous Ghost-Panther debuff-thing (use the PHB2 for the last one).

Lizardman 2/Fighter or Barbarian X//Warmage 6/Rainbow Servant X might be your best bet if you want versatility, but don't want to be shoed into a primarily spellcasting role. Rainbow Servant (Complete Arcane) loses four Caster levels, but adds all Cleric Spells to your casting list.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-11, 02:00 AM
Hmm... Hexblade does look pretty good (I found my book). Good BAB, looses Fort save though. And the extra spells wouldn't hurt. Tough choice.

EDIT: Oh, and this is a snipet of what the DM has said earlier.

Don't look for efficiency, look for functionality.
Personality may play a larger part than BAB or spell casting ability.

Didn't say it to me, but it still stands.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-11, 11:47 AM
Oooo, I just read over the Stromcaster prc. It looks pretty good, not to mention goes right along with my background in development. Now I just need to work it in. It would work for me right? Or will I regret it down the road?

Ghal Marak
2008-01-12, 02:54 AM
Okay, so I've decided to go with Barbarian and Battle Sorcerer. Now, the only problem I have is choosing the right blaster spells. I also want to get into the Strormcaster prc as soon as I can. Can anybody help me with that?

Nebo_
2008-01-12, 03:16 AM
Bad.

Rage precludes casting and battle sorcerer is neutered in that respect. Take normal sorcerer on one side and some Gish classes that let you cast in armour on the other.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-12, 03:24 AM
Well, like what? Spellsword?

And would Rage Mage aleviate the rage problem?

Nebo_
2008-01-12, 03:51 AM
Rage mage is awful.

Depending on what classes your DM is allowing with the gestalt, Abjurant Champion is too good to pass up on your sorcerer side and a bit of spellsword placed so it doesn't screw with your caster level would do wonders too.

Ghal Marak
2008-01-12, 03:59 AM
Just so you know, I don't particularly care if I'm a good caster. I just wanted something to do if I can't reach the enemy.

I've never used the gestalt rules before, and I've never played this high level a character. So yeah, I don't know what I'm doing.

Eh, I decided that this is more complicated than I wanted. I'll just go something melee//Barbarian13/Lizardfolk2 and work Occult Slayer into it. I might add the varient no-spells ranger on the other side.

Thanks for all the help anyway guys. I'm just too lazy to do all that work. :smallsmile: