PDA

View Full Version : Martial Bard: Bard Variant - need help/ideas

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-11, 12:56 AM
I want to play a very cool adventurous buffing fighter. I came to bard, but I do not like the bardic music for the character, but everything else I do like, especially the arcane spells and the inspiring courage. So I was talking it over with my friends and came up with the following variant:

Class: Bard
Level: 1st.
Special Requirement: Knowledge (history) 1 rank
Replaces: Replaces the following bardic music abilities:
– Countersong
– Fascinate
– Suggestion
– Song of Freedom
– Mass Suggestion
Benefit: You gain the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat at first level. You also gain a fighter bonus feat at first level, and then again at every even numbered level after that.

Is this a fair variant? I know that fighter is very weak as a class, so this might actually make it useable. All help and thoughts are appreciated.

Miles Invictus
2008-01-11, 04:05 AM
Your variant looks fine, though it does a fair job of stepping on the Fighter and Bard's toes. Personally, I'd allow it, but only if no one else was playing either of those classes.

At a glance, here's what I'd do:

* Good Base Attack Bonus.
* Proficiency in all martial weapons and medium armor.
* Reduce skill points to 4 per level.
* Fighter bonus feats at levels that would normally give new Bardic Music abilities.
* New spell list. All spells 6th-level or lower from the Abjuration and Transmutation schools.
* Increase hit die to d8s.

Necromas
2008-01-11, 06:28 PM
I pretty much agree with sonofa.

I would give it...

-d8 HD
-Full BAB
-Martial Weapon Proficiency
-Medium Armor Proficiency (but would need Battle Caster to cast in it)
-Fighter Bonus feats at levels 1, 3, 6, 9, 12, 15, 18, the levels he would usually get a new bardic music thing, which is only 4 less than a fighter gets but fighters aren't very strong in the first place.

I wouldn't change around the spell list, they already get some awesome buffs and cure spells which synergize nicely with a martial role, and save or die type spells which are very powerful, they also get lots of spells that are unique to bards, or that they get at lower levels than other casters. If you insist on changing it though, buffs would be the spells to add, and music/charm themed spells would be the ones to remove.

If all else fails, just play a duskblade.

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-11, 10:53 PM
Ok, so how about these changes:

Class: Bard
Level: 1st.
Replaces: Replaces the following bardic music abilities:
– Countersong
– Fascinate
– Inspire Competence
– Suggestion
– Song of Freedom
– Mass Suggestion
Also Good Reflex saves.
A Martial Bard can use his remaining bardic abilities a number of times per day equal to his CHAR modifier.
Benefit: You gain the Martial Weapon Proficiency feat at first level. You also gain a fighter bonus feat at first level, second level, and then every third level after that (5, 8, 11, ...).
Also, gain full BAB and Good Fort Saves, and d8 HD.

Nebo_
2008-01-11, 11:41 PM

Why? Filler text is lame

Skutty
2008-01-11, 11:45 PM
I've been working a bit on a Bard variant which does the same as yours, dumps music. I called it the Swordplayer (as in swordplay - and as if his weapon was his music) and added the following:

Ignores spell failure from bucklers.
At 1st level, gains Dodge as a bonus feat.
At 3rd level, gains Combat Expertise as a bonus feat.
At 6th level, gains medium armour proficiency, ignores spell failure from it, and gains the Barbarian's fast movement.
At 9th level and every 3 levels there after, gains a fighter bonus feat.

Feel free to use any of this, I've abandoned it.

Sonofaspectre
2008-01-12, 07:31 AM
Why? Filler text is lame

This requirement is based on the Battlecaster variant for the Sorcerer from Complete Mage. It seemed like a good balancing agent, and helps solidify the theme I wanted, the war soothsayer, whose words could bring courage to an army.

Akennedy
2008-01-12, 08:52 AM
Well, funny you want this sort of bard because I'm trying to flesh one out but having a hard time. If you wanted to make him not use and instrument, you could ask your dm if you could use Perform (Weapon Drill) pg 121 of complete warrior. I'm trying to make a bard with just that right now, with some of his abilities changed so he can do bardic musics and still make offensive and defensive actions.