PDA

View Full Version : Truck won't start.

paigeoliver
2008-01-11, 01:40 AM
Is this most likely the ignition switch?

1989 Chevy Suburban, 5.7 liter V8.

Battery has a charge, alternator and starter are both recent. The headlights will turn on, as will everything else that is wire to always function regardless of ignition position.

Putting the key in the ignition and turning it does NOTHING, it doesn't try to start at all, nor does any power go to the radio or accessories. However it will still make the warning buzz noise that it makes if you have the key in the ignition and open the door (however that function isn't related to the actual ignition switch).

Once before the truck displayed the same symptoms, but then it simply started working again the next day, the weather conditions were exactly the same this time as it was the previous time (overnight frost that had melted).

Finally, assuming it IS the ignition switch, how do you actually remove the thing? I have the chilton's manual, I did everything it said (pull the plastic dash stuff around the steering column, drop the column, etc). I can trace the activation rod to what must be the ignition switch, but I don't see the two screws that the manual mentions, nor do I see any easy way to even get in there to properly get at the thing.

Also, last minor note, car experts, remember that the 1989 Suburban is a member of the PREVIOUS generation of Chevy trucks, that they didn't change the Suburban over to the newer platform until a few years later (it seems that not even all parts manufacturers can remember that).

Zeb The Troll
2008-01-11, 02:17 AM
Just to clarify, if you put the key in and turn the key to ACC, nothing new happens? And if you roll it over to ON, nothing new happens? (i.e. no warning lights on the dash, the radio still can't be turned on, the heater doesn't start blowing, etcetera?)

paigeoliver
2008-01-11, 02:27 AM
Correct, no warning lights, you can't turn on the radio (other than the always working function of pressing the on button to display the time for a few seconds), the heater won't blow and the needle on the voltage gauge just sits there instead of moving over to the middle.

Just to clarify, if you put the key in and turn the key to ACC, nothing new happens? And if you roll it over to ON, nothing new happens? (i.e. no warning lights on the dash, the radio still can't be turned on, the heater doesn't start blowing, etcetera?)

bosssmiley
2008-01-11, 01:58 PM
"I'm sorry paige, but Chevy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Yeller_(1957_film)) has to go now." :smallfrown:
(take truck behind barn, shoot truck)

Shraik
2008-01-13, 03:04 PM
The best way to fix truck problems, is the way to fix most problems. Take throw it off a highway overpass.

Tarnag40k
2008-01-13, 07:34 PM
Find and check the fusable link first, also check all your fuses in the fusebox, they may not be burnt off but the iginition fuse might be lose or corroded inside.

tell me what you find afterwards.