PDA

View Full Version : D20 Modern: SAW and other LMGs

Vazzaroth
2008-01-11, 03:05 AM
I noticed the Light Machine Gun category of modern weapons is not really represented in the d20 Modern Handbook when i was looking for the heaviest, most rounds downrange MG i could find and still be movable and operatable by 1 person. The closest I found was the Medium MG M60.

Is there any sources with other, similar weapons? I'd particularly like being able to use the Minimi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Minimi).

I'm pretty new to Mod, and the character will be part of a crime syndicate, and was inspired by Heavy Weapons guy from team fortress. :smallbiggrin: Also, are there rules for Bipods?

Dhavaer
2008-01-11, 03:07 AM
A d20 Modern bipod or tripod allows you to use a weapon one size heavier than normal. You have to be prone or something to use one, though.

mystikphish
2008-01-11, 03:25 AM
I noticed the Light Machine Gun category of modern weapons is not really represented in the d20 Modern Handbook ... I'd particularly like being able to use the Minimi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Minimi).

Seems pretty straight-forward (I know jack-doodle about D20 Modern, FYI):
Use the damage stats for the M16 (same ammo), and then the rules for aiming/firing with auto-fire from the Medium MGs. I would reduce the rate of fire from whatever is listed for the M60 to emulate a SAW. I might reduce any penalties for shoulder-firing the SAW by just a smidge from any that might apply to the M60, it's lighter and has less kick.

Don't forget to use the failure modes for the the MMG as well, SAWs jam just as much as any other belt-fed weapon system.

Vazzaroth
2008-01-11, 03:43 AM
Seems pretty straight-forward (I know jack-doodle about D20 Modern, FYI):
Use the damage stats for the M16 (same ammo), and then the rules for aiming/firing with auto-fire from the Medium MGs. I would reduce the rate of fire from whatever is listed for the M60 to emulate a SAW. I might reduce any penalties for shoulder-firing the SAW by just a smidge from any that might apply to the M60, it's lighter and has less kick.

Don't forget to use the failure modes for the the MMG as well, SAWs jam just as much as any other belt-fed weapon system.

Well, the M16 and M60 both do 2d8, both have automatic firing with the M16 having a single option, and, so far, I can't find any rules on firing the M60 at all.

Also, I think one big advantage would be that the Minimi has a box-loaded (but still belt fed) system, reducing the reload for a belt to move action, except that for it to be loaded it takes more than, say an assault rifle, which is a typical box weapon. Perhaps it should be it's own category and have it take a standard to reload w/ the boxes, and a normal full if you choose to use it as belt fed.

Eldmor
2008-01-11, 10:21 AM
There's a d20 Modern supplement called the d20 Weapons Locker. It has almost any firearm I could think of in the past decade.

SpikeFightwicky
2008-01-11, 10:55 AM
Well, the M16 and M60 both do 2d8, both have automatic firing with the M16 having a single option, and, so far, I can't find any rules on firing the M60 at all.

Also, I think one big advantage would be that the Minimi has a box-loaded (but still belt fed) system, reducing the reload for a belt to move action, except that for it to be loaded it takes more than, say an assault rifle, which is a typical box weapon. Perhaps it should be it's own category and have it take a standard to reload w/ the boxes, and a normal full if you choose to use it as belt fed.

According to the SRD, the M16 is large size, deals 2d8, has a range increment of 80 feet, has semi auto, or full auto options, and has a box ammo. The M60 is huge size deals 2d10, can only fire on auto and has a linked magazine.

For the Minimi, keep its stats like those of the M16, but allow either a linked belt, linked 200 round belt in a box (doesn't require 2 man team) or or 30 round box. I'm not sure how much the linked box system would weigh, but it would likely require a tripod in the prone position to use without penalty. With regular 30 round box, it would be effectively the same as the M16.

SMDVogrin
2008-01-11, 11:00 AM
Stats from the D20 Weapons locker book:

Take the M-16 stats, change the Rate of Fire to "A", the Magazine to "Linked, 30 box", Weight to 15 lb, Purchase DC to "23 (Mil +3)". Other stats as M-16A2.

Follows machine gun rules rather than rifle rules. (i.e. get rid of the "three-rd burst" rule, use automatic fire rules. It's an LMG, so Personal Firearms Prof applies, you don't need Exotic Weapon Prof.)

TheThan
2008-01-11, 03:26 PM
There's a d20 Modern supplement called the d20 Weapons Locker. It has almost any firearm I could think of in the past decade.

yep its your best bet to find what you're looking for.

Kioran
2008-01-11, 06:08 PM
IŽd simply look upn the weapons online, particularly the calibre and similiar. Make up any required stats based on the info. That said, go out and buy a G21, 7.62mm + german Tech ftw! Allthough you could do worse than a Minimi......