PDA

View Full Version : Lich PC

Falrin
2008-01-11, 04:12 AM
One of my pc's has (inspired by a certain webcomic) decided to play a lich sorceror. Starting at LvL 6.

This fills my tiny litlle head with lots of questions.

1) Is there a PrC around that gets you lichrdom?

2) Should I get a " 4LvL - Lich " Class?

3) What about the CL loss (= LA) ? How much is worth it?

I'm leaning towards the "Take prC, gain abilities and become full Lich at LvL 10"- idea.

4) Some flavourfull Spells to add to the limited spelllist?

Xefas
2008-01-11, 04:22 AM
Perhaps Dread Necromancer? It's a spontaneous-casting base class (so if they like sorcerer, this works the same way) that gains undead and lich abilities over 20 levels. At level 20, they gain their phylactery, but they have all the other abilities beforehand.

A warning though...they tend to amass hordes of undead and awesome. (Awesome, the substance.)

Also, I believe there is a 3rd party supplement named "Relics and Rituals" that is not done by WotC, but it has the "Crypt Lord" which is a 10 level Prestige Class that grants lichdom at 10th level.

NaYoN
2008-01-11, 04:24 AM
The dread necromancer class (not prestige) from Heroes of Horror becomes a Lich at lv20, instantly, without any lich leves etc. Or you could just perform the ritual at lv11, it's not TOO big of a deal.

Edit: Ninja'd

Yeril
2008-01-11, 05:25 AM
WotC have a "Lich" PRC that slowly gives you Lich abilities over the 4 "LA levels" which means you can become a lich mid-campaign. You'd have to search for it because I dont know where it is.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-11, 05:37 AM
Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a&pf=true) is the Lich templated 4 level class published by WotC.

The entry requirements are the same as for the Lich template in MM and I thing that is the appropriate time to be considering such a class.

lord_khaine
2008-01-11, 05:41 AM
or better yet he could become a necropolitian, makes him undead without loss of caster level (at least in the long run)

Talic
2008-01-11, 06:14 AM
Cryptlord from Relics and Rituals (Scarred Lands Supplement, Published by White Wolf), and reprinted in Ultimate Prestige Classes.

Gain Access at level 6, become a lich at level 15. Full caster progression, several other nifty abilities, including getting self-altering transmutation spells as necromancy school, and other things.

FaustianFeste
2008-01-11, 06:26 AM
I also seem to recall the Walker in the Waste prestige class from Sandstorm which let you become a "Dry Lich" at level 10. Not the exact same thing, but interesting flavor.

Edit: Ninja'd?

deathbyhokie
2008-01-11, 06:29 AM
Sandstorm has a PrC that turns the character into a Dry Lich as it's capstone ability. Unfortunatly, it looks like it's designed for Clerics as written, due to the divine spell casting requirements.

However, you might be able to qualify using Arcane Disciple (the class only requires that you have three domain spells as Divine spells). I don't remember if those count as divine spells or not.

WorthingSon
2008-01-11, 08:27 AM
The Death Master from Dragon Compendium. It's a base class with Lichdom at level 20. HD d8, BAB Rouge, Up to 9th level spells starting at level 17.

DementedFellow
2008-01-11, 02:55 PM
Sandstorm has a PrC that turns the character into a Dry Lich as it's capstone ability. Unfortunatly, it looks like it's designed for Clerics as written, due to the divine spell casting requirements.

However, you might be able to qualify using Arcane Disciple (the class only requires that you have three domain spells as Divine spells). I don't remember if those count as divine spells or not.

Druids can become Walkers too. In fact it's more fitting, I believe, if a druid does become a Walker. Because the idea of a druid wanting to spread the beauty of the dry waste wherever he goes is a lot easier to believe than some hellbent cleric of thirst.

TheElfLord
2008-01-11, 04:45 PM
Going by RAW you have to be at least caster level 11 to become a Lich, and it is a +4 LA, meaning the basic litch is ECL 15. Thats nine levels above the starting level 6. Liches are too powerful to have at level 6.

Collin152
2008-01-11, 05:26 PM
or better yet he could become a necropolitian, makes him undead without loss of caster level (at least in the long run)

Yeah, that isn't exactly relevant.
Besides, only a Lich gets a phylactery, enabling the occasional suicide manuever.
Plus they get that paralyzing touch.
Necropolition? Takes away your constitution score.

Falrin
2008-01-12, 07:01 AM
Thx a lot for the input.

As I'm the DM small changes to any existing PrC are fine to me, do I'll have a look at the waste walker.

I don't want him to be a lich at LvL 6, I'd like him to take a PrC at 5 and become one at 15.

I'll ask his opinion on some of the propositions and I'll get back for more evil undeadness.

DementedFellow
2008-01-12, 12:03 PM
Thx a lot for the input.

As I'm the DM small changes to any existing PrC are fine to me, do I'll have a look at the waste walker.

I don't want him to be a lich at LvL 6, I'd like him to take a PrC at 5 and become one at 15.

I'll ask his opinion on some of the propositions and I'll get back for more evil undeadness.

Dry Lich is a great build if you are in an arid campaign. The Dry Lich comes with his own body guards (Salt Mummies and Sand Golems) You can keep making them too. The Sand Golems can suffocate a person with a successful hit, and the Salt mummies have the same desiccating touch that the dry lich possesses.

It's a wild powerhouse. If an attacker can get through all your monsters, they are weakened by the greater drought ability, which increases the heat 100' around you by two bands or to severe (whichever is hotter) Then there is the Aura of despair that happens around 30'.

And no matter how thick their armor is, it will be useless against your desiccating touch.

lord_khaine
2008-01-12, 12:09 PM
Yeah, that isn't exactly relevant.
Besides, only a Lich gets a phylactery, enabling the occasional suicide manuever.
Plus they get that paralyzing touch.
Necropolition? Takes away your constitution score.

and the lich doesnt take away your con score?
oh wait, it does, and it also takes 4 of your caster levels, something that would be a suicide manuever for a lich could proberly be nuked down by the necropolitian.
and the paralyzing touch have a major weakness, it requires you to be in melee range.

Collin152
2008-01-12, 05:56 PM
and the lich doesnt take away your con score?
oh wait, it does, and it also takes 4 of your caster levels, something that would be a suicide manuever for a lich could proberly be nuked down by the necropolitian.
and the paralyzing touch have a major weakness, it requires you to be in melee range.

Melee range, which a Lich can do, because if it gtes hurt, it doesnt matter.
A necropoliton is vulnerable. It gets destroyed at 0 hitpoints, and it has less of them.
A lich shares those weaknesses, but can come back from it, regardless of what it was.
Sure, you lose four levels of spelcasting, but you get a defense necropoliton just can't match up to.
But the point is moot because the questions were specifivally regarding a lich, not an undead.