PDA

View Full Version : Psionic Meditation & Deep Impact

JeminiZero
2008-01-11, 07:51 AM
I have a quick simple question. I've been poking around Psionics on the d20 site. I was wondering about Psionic meditation, which lets you gain Psionic focus in a move rather than full round action.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psionicMeditation

What it does not specify, is whether this still provokes AoO, as normal Meditation does. It it does, than the Deep Impact attack has the minor problem that you can only use it once at the start of melee, and thereafter, you cannot meditate to regain focus for another use, without provoking AoO. Anyone knows the answer?

Saph
2008-01-11, 07:57 AM
Psionic Meditation doesn't say that it enables you to gain psionic focus without provoking an AoO, so it doesn't. You still provoke an AoO.

You could take a standard action to use Deep Impact, then take a 5-foot step back out of an enemy's reach and take a move action to become psionically focused. Then next turn, you could use Deep Impact again.

Or you could use Psicrystal Containment (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#psicrystalContainment) to gain a second psionic focus, enabling you to use Deep Impact two turns in a row.

- Saph

JeminiZero
2008-01-11, 08:15 AM
Thank you for the quick reply. I suppose it would be better to stick with Fell shot then.

Draz74
2008-01-11, 11:30 AM
Or get an ability that lets you retaliate when someone hits you with an AoO, so that you actually welcome getting attacked while recovering your focus. I forget whether Robilar's Gambit or Karmic Strike would be better in this case ...

JeminiZero
2008-01-11, 03:06 PM
I took a look. Both Gambit and Karmic strike say you receive an AoO against foes who successfully attack you, in exchange for AC penalties, and additional bonus damage in the case of Gambit. Somewhat risky, especially if you get surrounded.

While looking through, Elusive Dance and Combat Claok Expert caught my eye. I think that might be a useful thing to have against 1 or 2 foes.

marjan
2008-01-11, 03:11 PM
There is item in MIC that will let you avoid AOO some times per day as an immediate action.

Leicontis
2008-01-11, 04:51 PM
Armbands of Elusive Action. If I could remember that I have them, I'd be getting lots of use out of them with my Psion - twice now I've been nearly killed because I forgot that I could avoid the AoO.

JeminiZero
2008-01-13, 08:28 AM
One other thing. Is it possible to have the 2nd mind in Schism meditate for you?

Swooper
2008-01-13, 09:02 AM
I took a look. Both Gambit and Karmic strike say you receive an AoO against foes who successfully attack you, in exchange for AC penalties, and additional bonus damage in the case of Gambit. Somewhat risky, especially if you get surrounded.

Minor correction, I'm not sure if you misunderstood the feat or if you were just lazy when typing but: Robilar's Gambit doesn't require the attack to actually hit you - just rolling an attack against you provokes an AoO. Karmic Strike, on the other hand, requires the attack to hit. And yes, you can combine those - rolling an attack and hitting you are two separate events.