PDA

View Full Version : Epic Spellcasting: Now Cheese-Free!

Uncle Festy
2008-01-11, 09:58 AM
So I had an idea.
What if there were, you know, 10th level spells?
And 11th level. And 12th level. And 13th level. You get the idea.
They would be based off of a single feat: Epic Spell Learning:

Epic Spell Learning [Epic]
Prerequisites: Able to cast 9th level spells at caster level 21st, Spell Knowledge, a 10th level spell slot
You learn a 10th level spell.
Special: You may take this feat multiple times. Each time you take it, you may learn a spell one higher then the highest you know, and have CL equal to twice the spell level.

As a note, once you know a 10th level spell, you can learn two more each time you take Spell Knowledge. Thoughts? Suggestions? Spells? I'll come up with some spells for review later.

Nebo_
2008-01-11, 10:19 AM
There is a conspicuous lack of 10th level spells to go with your feat.

Uncle Festy
2008-01-11, 10:34 AM
Which is why I was going to make them later...
Or get some suggestions...
Or something...

Nebo_
2008-01-11, 10:44 AM
Claiming that spells are cheese free when said spells do not exist yet is somewhat misleading. I call shenanigans.

I do like the idea, though. It seems to be a much better way of doing things.

Jack_Simth
2008-01-11, 04:37 PM
You can eliminate most of the Epic Spell cheese with one of two simple house rules:

1) Spellcraft DC Mitigation is applied after all non-mitigating modifiers, and cannot bring the Spellcraft DC below 25% of the pre-mitigation DC (this might make some of the listed Epic spells illegal - oh well).
2) Costs of time, gold, and XP for researching an epic spell are based on the pre-mitigation spellcraft DC, not the post-mitigation spellcraft DC.

Both get rid of no-cost spells; the first by putting a limit on how much you can mitigate a spell, the second by eliminating mitigation from the costs. The vast majority of brokenness from Epic spells is from the ability to drop the spell costs to nothing, making them effectively infinitely useable.