PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose my birthday present.

Ichneumon
2008-01-11, 02:37 PM
Alright, I am not sure where this would belong, so I am posting this here. Mods may move it elsewhere if they want.

You see, it was my birthday a few days ago (I turned 18) and I have to decide on a present so my parents can buy me one.

Now, I am a bit unsure what to ask as there is currently not anything I really want/need.

I have however done some research the past few weeks on all the different editions of dungeons and dragons.

You see with my gaming group of 3 other people currently plays many different games. I sometimes DMs them, but mostly it is one of the other players who's the DM. Currently we play Mutants and Masterminds and we have played other rpg games as well.

I am thinking of maybe buying the revised advanced dungeons and dragons player's handbook and I was wondering if some people could advise me on that. http://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-2nd-Fantasy-Roleplaying/dp/0786903295

I like the feel these old editions have. Firstly, how many people still play 2nd edition and if so why?

And is it equally easy to start playing without owning the dungeon master's guide just as with 3.5e? I mean, I own the dungeon master guide, but never really used it and I am sure I can find some creatures on the internet and most of my campaigns use humans only so I would like to if it is equally as easy to play the game with only the Player's handbook.

Brickwall
2008-01-11, 02:47 PM
Why limit yourself to RPG books? There's lots of great things to get as presents:

A swanky new hat
A musical instrument and lessons (or music instrument extras if you already have those)
RPG paraphernalia of other sorts

Just to name 3. I can't be expected to make a list for you, can I? I'm just recommending some more diverse thinking as to what you want.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2008-01-11, 02:52 PM
Another good thing to keep in mind, is will you be the only one with the 2nd ed books? If so, I'd recommend against getting it. Everyone having to share the same books in my experience is a real pain.

Narmoth
2008-01-11, 02:58 PM
If you want to play 2nd ed, you'll need the Monster Manual for monsters, but you don't really need the DMG for anythign but treasure description and some other info that I personally never use.
There's a program called AD&D core rules that has all the books and some additional stuff you might like to have if you want to play AD&D more than you want to own the books

Metal Head
2008-01-11, 03:43 PM
Do you like music? Ask them for a few albums that you've been dying to get. Or if you're into video games then ask for some. As far as RPGs go, 2nd edition would be good, but be prepared for some complex rules. Nothing truly challenging, but pretty different from 3ed. There's a little known RPG called Don't Rest Your Head (http://www.evilhat.com/home/?page_id=101). A friend showed it to me, and I was instantly in love. It's great if you like a sci-fi RPG. But since you showed interest in the tone of 2nd edition, I think I could recommend Donjon (http://crngames.com/donjon/index) instead. It has a very similar feel, but is so much more customizable. I can say from personal experience that it's far superior.

JessSoccer
2008-01-11, 05:03 PM
If you're dead set on getting RPG books, I'd say hold out until 4th Edition, that'll be a whole new puddle of rhinoceri.

(As a side note: Mozilla seems to think the plural of rhinoceros is rhinoceroses)

ChomZ
2008-01-11, 05:07 PM
hey, I like the swanky new hat idea, but also a great, amazing, great game is Munchkin

Just incase you don't know of it, or already own half of the different sets like I do =P

Narmoth
2008-01-11, 05:12 PM
Donjon (http://crngames.com/donjon/index) instead. It has a very similar feel, but is so much more customizable. I can say from personal experience that it's far superior.

Horrible, horrible gaming system if I understood the description right. So, if the players searches a wall and find a secret door, there have to be one? Even if it ruins the drawn map?

I could understand if they tried to run it as a dm-free game. But else...

Metal Head
2008-01-11, 05:25 PM
Horrible, horrible gaming system if I understood the description right. So, if the players searches a wall and find a secret door, there have to be one? Even if it ruins the drawn map?

I could understand if they tried to run it as a dm-free game. But else...

They can find a secret door, but the players can't do this sort of crap all the time. They can't just be gods, but realize that the DM determines the difficulty of these things. If the DM thinks it would be fun, then you'll find the secret door. And there is a plot. The players can't just say "I look for the lair of a villain that is challenging but not to difficult, and has the right amount of treasure." While the game provides lots of freedom for everyone, it doesn't give too much. Trust me, I've played it before.

Ichneumon
2008-01-12, 09:51 AM
Interesting, ideas. Thank you, but I would still like to know a bit more about 2nd edition Dnd, can anyone help me? (Or should I start a new thread)

Narmoth
2008-01-12, 05:39 PM
Basically, a thread about 2nd ed AD&D in the gaming section would be the right thing for this.
it's right here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3780746#post3780746)

thubby
2008-01-12, 06:08 PM
american express gift card, its like cash except you can use it online and its less "=/" than handing you a 50

North
2008-01-13, 03:29 PM
Id also agree with getting fourth over second. Unless you want the old dnd just cause its vintage.

RTGoodman
2008-01-13, 03:37 PM
I just wanted to stop by and say that I thought this thread was something completely different, because the last word in the title was cut off on the main page. I was envisioning some long, sad story about someone who just found out they were adopted and didn't know their actual birthday, and came to the Playground to get people to help pick one. :smallfrown:

I was greatly disappointed.

Anyway, if you're anywhere near a used bookstore, try going there for your 2nd Edition D&D stuff. The one that I sometimes go to has stuff from 1E on to 3.5, and most of it's really cheap. If you go that route, take your parents there and just see how much you can get for the amount they're willing to spend! :smallbiggrin:

Crispy Dave
2008-01-14, 08:09 PM
A pony
a kitty
a puppy
a fishy
a monkey
a lizard
any other pet
a rocket ship
a car
a plane
a train
a house
a nintendo 64
a xbox
a play station
a game boy
a pizza party .........

Fester
2008-01-14, 08:25 PM
18?

car

definately car

sktarq
2008-01-14, 08:38 PM
(As a side note: Mozilla seems to think the plural of rhinoceros is rhinoceroses)

There are more than four correct plurals of Rhinocerons (KYN)

FdL
2008-01-14, 08:49 PM
I would advise against getting AD&D books. Maybe they will work as a novelty, but I don't think you'll play them. Or well, I myself don't see the point in that.

Otherwise I liked the recommendation of getting a musical instrument. Depends on how much money/money's worth are you getting. And depends whether you're into music.