PDA

View Full Version : Original Xbox Games

valadil
2008-01-11, 02:39 PM
(I realize this has probably already been posted here, and I tried searching for it, but you have to wait 5 minutes between each search and I'm just not that patient.)

I recently picked up an original Xbox for the purpose of Xbox Media Center (http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/). After setting up XBMC I realized that I had a perfectly usable XBox and no games for it. I know the system is old and everybody is getting a 360 now, but what games from the original Xbox do you guys still play on your new systems? I picked up Ninja Gaiden Black, and I'm loving it, but it's not gonna last forever.

My preferences are for twitchy games. I like having to think fast more than having infinite time to solve a complex puzzle. Usually I go for first person shooters, but not having a mouse frustrates me. I have no intention to get Xbox Live, so anything that's strictly multiplayer is out too. My favorite games in general are Half-Life, Deus Ex, and Savage. I'm not a big fan of sports or racing games, but if any game stands out in either category I could give it a try. RPGs are very hit or miss with me. I enjoyed FF7, A Link to the Past, and the Gothic series, but just haven't gotten into any others. I'm willing to try a lot of stuff though because Xbox games tend to be $3-$10 in Gamestop's used games bin. Oh, multiplayer games would be great too, especially if they're team based like Gauntlet or Streets of Rage.

spotmarkedx
2008-01-11, 02:58 PM
Test Drive: Eve of Destruction.
Whether you like racing games or not.

The game is a race game on a destruction derby circuit instead of your normal technical courses. There are a number of different types of races (Jump race: like a normal race, with ramps. Figure-8 race: hope you don't get t-boned in the middle. Suicide race: half the pack drives clockwise, the other half counter-clockwise), as well as your more typical "break the other cars with your own".

It remains the standard "lets play something while we wait for people to show up" game, and while we are used to the race options, it has yet to get entirely stale. It has even on occasion drawn people that don't like playing video games to play it for a little while.

valadil
2008-01-11, 03:02 PM
Test Drive: Eve of Destruction.
Whether you like racing games or not.

The game is a race game on a destruction derby circuit instead of your normal technical courses. There are a number of different types of races (Jump race: like a normal race, with ramps. Figure-8 race: hope you don't get t-boned in the middle. Suicide race: half the pack drives clockwise, the other half counter-clockwise), as well as your more typical "break the other cars with your own".

That actually sounds like a really good racing game for me. I like exaggerated physics and lots of jumps, so I've always joked that I play racing games the way most people play flight sims. Having goals other than 'drive the fastest' makes this one sound like a winner.

warty goblin
2008-01-11, 03:05 PM
Star Wars: Republic Commando is a very good twitchfest, particularly on Hard, and basically doesn't have multiplayer worth mentioning, so it might work for you. Of course the controller aiming thing could be frustrating...

spotmarkedx
2008-01-11, 03:08 PM
Yep, sounds like it will be your type then. If I had to pick something wrong with the game, though, its that the 3 or 4 player modes apparently tax the system resources more, so it doesn't populate the track with AI cars like it does in 2 player (or single player), so some races are a little less exciting, since there are less moving targets/obstacles for you to run into.

Still, it pretty much remains in the xbox for playing with friends, while I play 360 for other games.

valadil
2008-01-11, 03:16 PM
Yep, sounds like it will be your type then. If I had to pick something wrong with the game, though, its that the 3 or 4 player modes apparently tax the system resources more, so it doesn't populate the track with AI cars like it does in 2 player (or single player), so some races are a little less exciting, since there are less moving targets/obstacles for you to run into.

That's probably fine. 95% of the multiplayer gaming I do will be just me and my girl. Ideally I'd like some party type games too (maybe I should just pick up a $30 used gamecube for that...) but a vast majority of the time 2 player is plenty.

warty,

I loved all the Jedi Knight games, so any Star Wars 1st person should be good for me, provided I get used to not having a mouse. For what it's worth I'm trying to get more into console gaming for the sake of not using a mouse. My carpal tunnels are pretty damaged, and the mouse bothers them more than anything, so if I only use the computer when I need it and do gaming on controllers than don't bother my wrists I should be able to avoid any more permanent damage.

TheOtherMC
2008-01-11, 05:10 PM
Breakdown.

Its a first person brawler/sci-fi shooter by Capcom. Yeah, 'nuff said.

Really though it has one of THE BEST stories ive ever played in my long 24 year career of gaming. Its like MGS2, but you can follow it. Yes, THAT plot-twisty and THAT epic. PIck it up its only like $5 now, do it or you're just part of the problem :smallwink:

Destro_Yersul
2008-01-11, 08:26 PM
Halo CE and Halo 2 are both great.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-01-11, 10:39 PM
For RPG fanatics, the KOTOR series, Morrowind: GOTY Edition, and Fable: The Lost Chapters are essential.

Deleran
2008-01-11, 11:27 PM
Phantom Dust, Otogi & Otogi 2, Psychonauts... looking at my collection, thats what looks good.

TheOtherMC
2008-01-11, 11:44 PM
Phantom Dust, Otogi & Otogi 2, Psychonauts... looking at my collection, thats what looks good.

Hmmm yes, I second Phantom Dust. Fake card battling that looks absolutly AMAZING. (Optic decks ftw btw.)

For something really fun and quirky you can't go wrong with Jet Set Radio Future. Great, simple gameplay, with the best music you've never heard.

JessSoccer
2008-01-12, 08:45 AM
For RPG fanatics, the KOTOR series, Morrowind: GOTY Edition, and Fable: The Lost Chapters are essential.

Fable is still my all time favorite for XBox. Even to the point where I downloaded onto the 360 from the xbox store because somebody swiped my copy :smallfurious: Unfortunantly, it's not the expanded edition, which makes me sad

Metal Head
2008-01-12, 09:21 AM
Only one person has suggested either of the Halo games? Shame on you all! KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) is a great game if you want a sort of Star Wars/RPG blend. Morrowind is also great, but getting Oblivion for the computer is a better idea.

valadil
2008-01-13, 09:41 PM
Test Drive is my favorite so far, although I haven't been able to get anyone to try multiplayer with me. Jet Set Radio Future is really, really cool looking, but I have no idea what's going on. Doesn't stop me from playing though. I haven't decided which RPG to try yet, but Fable, KOTOR, and Jade Empire all look worthwhile. I just don't want to get into more than one of them at a time. Morrowind is something I tried to get into a number of times already and it just never really stuck, so I want to try something else first.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

Prustan
2008-01-14, 05:09 AM
Jade Empire was great, but remember two things - there are no healing/temporary buffing items, and your basic tactic will probably end up being 'flip behind enemy and hit them several times, then repeat when they try to hit you back'. Beaten it a couple of times myself, and still come back to it every now and then.

Gungnir
2008-01-14, 10:01 AM
Jade Empire was great, but remember two things - there are no healing/temporary buffing items, and your basic tactic will probably end up being 'flip behind enemy and hit them several times, then repeat when they try to hit you back'. Beaten it a couple of times myself, and still come back to it every now and then.

Also, Evil is better than Good at magic. And don't take Thousand Cuts style.

Jet Set Radio Future was one of my favorite games back in the day.

spotmarkedx
2008-01-14, 01:01 PM
Test Drive is my favorite so far, although I haven't been able to get anyone to try multiplayer with me. Jet Set Radio Future is really, really cool looking, but I have no idea what's going on. ...
Glad you like it! Also, if you hadn't gotten it already, I'd have put my weight behind Jet Set Radio as well, but be warned, the multiplayer is rubbish (at least IMHO).