PDA

View Full Version : Crap! (Retraining)

UserClone
2008-01-11, 07:20 PM
I have a DM who insists on using ONLY v3.5 WoTC material for our characters, and I have a Gray Elf Diviner who has just reached level 3. I decided to take Combat Casting as my feat (to qualify for Abjurant Champion), only my 1st level feat, Spellcasting Prodigy, was from FRCS, a 3.0 source! Please, someone help me choose an appropriate replacement feat. I was considering Collegiate Wizard, but does anyone have a better suggestion, which must be 3.5, and WoTC?

marjan
2008-01-11, 07:24 PM
Collegiate Wizard is good choice. If you plan being gishy you should consider Power Attack or Extend Spell. They are both useful feats (though power attack is crap at the beginning).

Iku Rex
2008-01-11, 07:34 PM
Spellcasting Prodigy can be found in Player's Guide to Faerun (3.5)

"For the purpose of determining bonus spells, treat the ability score that controls your spellcasting (Charisma for bards and sorcerers, Wisdom for divine spellcasters, or Intelligence for wizards) as 2 points higher than its actual value."

tyckspoon
2008-01-11, 07:36 PM
The Player's Guide to Faerun is mostly a 3.5 update for Realms stuff, and contains a reprint/update of Spellcasting Prodigy if you would prefer to simply keep the feat. Somebody in your group probably has the book if you have much interest in the Realms setting.

... ninja'd by an orcish dinosaur. Note to self: Buy some Spot ranks.

Amiria
2008-01-11, 07:38 PM
Yeah, Spellcasting Prodigy is also 3.5. And it is still a food feat, even without the bonus to DCs. Otherwise Improved Initiative or maybe Spell Focus (x) or Skill Focus (Spellcraft) for long-range planning towards Archmage might be good.

UserClone
2008-01-11, 07:46 PM
I can't seem to find Collegiate Wizard in Complete Arcane....:smallconfused:

tyckspoon
2008-01-11, 07:49 PM
Crystalkeep thinks it's on page 181.

Iku Rex
2008-01-11, 07:49 PM
It's on page 181.

UserClone
2008-01-11, 08:01 PM
Honestly, I didn't take it for the bonus spells as much as for the DC increase, anyways. I suppose Collegiate Wizard works well here, as my DM (or I suppose, the plot) has yet to allow me any time in which to scribe scrolls or pen new spells into my spellbook. Thanks, all!:smallbiggrin:

marjan
2008-01-11, 08:03 PM
Honestly, I didn't take it for the bonus spells as much as for the DC increase, anyways. I suppose Collegiate Wizard works well here, as my DM (or I suppose, the plot) has yet to allow me any time in which to scribe scrolls or pen new spells into my spellbook. Thanks, all!:smallbiggrin:

In that case you can switch your Scribe Scroll and Wizard bonus feats for Fighter bonus feats.

UserClone
2008-01-11, 08:11 PM
Ooh, Unearthed Arcana variant, Nice! Any recommendations (other than Power Attack, which makes little sense for a mage with a bit of fighting talent; read: 10 Str, low BAB)?

tyckspoon
2008-01-11, 08:23 PM
One of the Unearthed Arcana variants. It's a straight trade of Wizard bonus feats for Fighter bonus feats, which isn't all too bad of a deal if you're planning on gishing.