PDA

View Full Version : The Arcane Cadet [Class][PEACH]

Akennedy
2008-01-11, 07:36 PM
Okay, I know the fluff sucks, it's going to be re-written soon! Any help/suggestions would be awesome!

The Arcane Cadet

An arcane cadet is a spellcaster who‘s abilities grow as he becomes more accustomed with his surroundings and adapts accordingly.
Adventures: Arcane cadets usually adventure to further themselves. Usually, arcane cadets enjoy experiencing what they are capable of.
Characteristics: Arcane cadets combine a myriad of abilities to help suit them to their (usually) hazardous environment. They can range from studious spellcasters, reading tomes of knowledge, to the eccentric sword-fighter with a flair of magic and always gets the toast at the local tavern. No two arcane cadets are the same, while they all possess an innate ability for magic, they all exhibit their skills differently.
Alignment: Arcane cadets don’t follow any particular moral bearing and simply do whatever they need to to get by. Good arcane cadets may have a spell selection to help the poor and needy, while evil arcane cadets will have a spell selection to cause distraught and destruction.
Religion: While no arcane cadet is remembered for their religious piety, some pay their respects to Boccob thanking him for their unique magic. Other arcane cadets, depending on their abilities, will revere the appropriate god.
Background: Arcane cadets, even when youngsters, have a particular charm about them and have a little arcane flair. As they grow, their ability grows with them, some exploiting their power to their full potential, however some never realize their gift and it goes unnoticed.
Races: The lineage of innate magic also runs in all bloodlines, but is most common in celestial, demonic, and draconic bloodlines.
Other Classes: An arcane cadet has a lot in common with the sorcerer and, depending on their other abilities, a rogue, fighter, or any mix of the lot. The arcane cadet can have amazing synergy with any of the base classes, the only restriction holding them back is which archetype to advance.
Role: Arcane cadets fill the role of secondary or primary spellcaster and secondary or primary fighter or rogue. The arcane cadet has the unique ability to cast an unlimited amount of spells each day, which makes him a powerful weapon.

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special||Max Spell Level Known|Spell Points|Spell Point Regeneration
1|0|0|0|0|||1|1|.5
2|1|0|0|0|||1|1|.5
3|1|1|1|1|Archetype Advancement||1|2|.5
4|2|1|1|1|||2|2|1
5|2|1|1|1|||2|3|1
6|3|2|2|2|||2|3|1
7|3|2|2|2|Archetype Advancement||3|4|1
8|4|2|2|2|||3|4|1.5
9|4|3|3|3|||3|5|1.5
10|5|3|3|3|||4|5|1.5
11|5|3|3|3|Archetype Advancement||4|6|2
12|6|4|4|4|||4|6|2
13|6|4|4|4|||5|7|2
14|7|4|4|4|||5|7|2
15|7|5|5|5|Archetype Advancement||5|8|2.5
16|8|5|5|5|||6|8|2.5
17|8|5|5|5|||6|9|2.5
18|9|6|6|6|||6|6|3
19|9|6|6|6|Archetype Advancement||6|10|3
20|10|6|6|6|||6|10|3
[/table]
Game Rule Information
Arcane cadets have the following game statistics.
Abilities: Charisma determines how powerful a spell they can cast and how fast they regenerate their spells. Depending on n arcane cadet's archetype, they can also benefit from any ability score.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d6

Class Skills
The arcane cadet’s class skills are bluff, concentration, craft, diplomacy, intimidate, knowledge (arcana), profession, spellcraft, use magic device.
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) X 4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the arcane cadet.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Arcane cadets are proficient with all simple weapons and with light armor, but not shields.
Spells: An arcane cadet casts spells that are drawn from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He may cast any spell he knows provided he has enough spell points at the time.
To learn or cast a spell, an arcane cadet must have a charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against an arcane cadet’s spell is 10 + ½ arcane cadet’s caster level + the arcane cadet’s charisma modifier.
An arcane cadet’s spell selection is extremely limited. They begin play knowing only their charisma modifier of 0-level spells and their charisma modifier of 1st-level spells. After every level beyond the first, an arcane cadet learns one spell every level. Upon reaching 4th level and every even numbered level thereafter, an arcane cadet may choose a spell they know and replace it with another. The new spell may be of any level, even if it was originally higher than the spell replaced.
The arcane cadet’s unique spellcasting allows for more versatility than other spellcasters. An arcane cadet casts spells using spell points. All spells cost as many spell points as their level to be cast, zero level spells cost half a point to be cast (.5). At the beginning of every round, an arcane cadet gains as many spell points back as mentioned on the table above. Any spell an arcane cadet knows may be cast so long as they have enough spell points to cast it. An arcane cadet may make a concentration check DC 10 + arcane cadet level to gain as many spell points back equal to their regeneration rate. A high charisma score also increases the maximum spell point pool and spell point regeneration rate of an arcane cadet. For every point of charisma an arcane cadet possesses, their spell point pool is increased by .5 and spell point regeneration rate is increased by .25. However, depending upon what level the arcane cadet is, their charisma modifier is reduced for purposes of determining their extra spell points and a higher spell point regeneration rate.
{table]Level|% of Charisma Used
1-5|25% (1/4)
6-10|50% (1/2)
11-15|75% (3/4)
16-20|100% (1)
[/table]
Example: a level 6th level arcane cadet with a charisma of 18 (+4) is considered to have a charisma modifier of 2 (4 * ½) for purposes of determining extra spell points and a higher regeneration rate, thus giving the arcane cadet and additional spell point and a .5 higher spell point regeneration rate.
Metamagic feats also apply differently to arcane cadets. Instead of increasing the spell level for a metamagic feat, increase the amount of spell points it is to cast by the same amount it would be raised in spell levels. Example: quicken spell would normally increase a spell’s level by four. Instead a spell modified by quicken spell would cost four more spell points than normal.
Archetype Advancement: An arcane cadet beginning at first level begins to accumulate knowledge to better their chance of survival in a battlefield. As a result, beginning at level three and every 4 levels thereafter, the collection of knowledge begins to manifest itself in a form that becomes a significantly potent tool for an arcane cadet. All changes made via archetype advancement are retroactive and take effect upon leveling.
Some of the special abilities advance in tiers. Every time an arcane cadet levels to a level where they gain a new archetype advancement, they may choose to advance up a tier by one (0->1->2->3), or choose another archetype advancement such as a bonus feat or attribute vigor.
Martial Prowess:
The arcane cadet excels in martial fighting and has become more hardy than before.
Tier 1: The arcane cadet gains the benefits of a cleric’s base attack bonus, proficiency with all martial weapons, and the ability to cast spells in light armor without incurring an arcane spell failure.
Tier 2: The arcane cadet gains the benefits of weapon focus with all the weapons of one type (light, one-handed, two-handed, or ranged) and the proficiency and the ability to cast spells in medium armor and light shields without incurring arcane spell failure.
Tier 3: The arcane cadet gains the benefits of a fighter’s base attack bonus and the proficiency and the ability to cast in heavy armor and heavy shields without incurring an arcane spell failure.
With every advancement in tiers in the combat prowess category, the arcane cadet gains +1 on all saves as a result of hardening the body, quickening reflexes and temperament of the mind.
Tough:
The arcane cadet has become extraordinarily hardy and can withstand some blows that would even shake a fighter.
Tier 1: The arcane cadet gains the benefits of +2hp per class level and increases skills with the key score of constitution by +2.
Tier 2: The arcane cadet gains the benefits of +4hp per class level and increases skills with the key score of constitution by +4.
Tier 3: The arcane cadet gains the benefits of +6hp per class level and increases skills with the key score of constitution by +6.
All of the benefits from the tough archetype advancement supercede the previous tier. Also, with every tier advancement in the tough archetype advancement, the arcane cadet gains +2 on fort saves.
Magister:
The arcane cadet has focused more on her spell casting ability than her ability to fight martially or learn new skills.
Tier 1: The arcane cadet’s max spell level known increases by one and learns an additional spell this level.
Tier 2: The arcane cadet’s max spell level known increases by one and learns an additional spell this level.
Tier 3: The arcane cadet’s max spell level known increases by one and learns an additional spell this level.
The arcane cadet’s max spell level may never surpass ½ his class level. Also, with every tier advancement in the magister archetype advancement, the arcane cadet receives a +2 bonus on Will saves.
Skillful:
The arcane cadet has spent much of his time learning new mundane skills while dabbling in his adventuring life.
Tier 1: The arcane cadet gains +2 skills per level and may add four skills to become class skills.
Tier 2: The arcane cadet gains +4 skills per level and may add four skills to become class skills.
Tier 3: The arcane cadet gains +6 skills per level and may add four skills to become class skills.
Every tier supercedes the previous in this archetype advancement. With every tier advancement, the arcane cadet gains +2 on Ref saves may choose one of the following abilities: fast movement +10, trapfinding, evasion, improved evasion (requires evasion), uncanny dodge, or improved uncanny dodge (requires uncanny dodge).
Bonus Feat:
The arcane cadet may learn any of the following feats, provided he meets the prerequisites: [fighter’s bonus feat list], [wizard’s bonus feat list], Arcane Mastery (CAr), Arcane strike (CW), Battle Caster (CAr), Extra Spell (CAr), Somatic Weaponry (CM).
Attribute Vigor:
The arcane cadet may choose to increase one of his ability scores by one.

-------

*revamped* *entirely*

Oiothalion
2008-01-12, 07:58 AM
Hmm.. I think its good. It probably is balanced enough and I happen to like fighter/spellcasters. You should add Knowledge (Arcana) on class skills though. It would make sense to have it with Spellcraft. :smallsmile:

Akennedy
2008-02-24, 03:06 PM
Okay, I'm completely revamped this old class of mine, now it's probably much more balanced than before, maybe-ish. Any and all comments/questions are welcome!

D Knight
2008-02-24, 04:06 PM
dude i saw your frist make of this and this one now looks great but i have one small pick. That being able to cast in full plate sounds prety big and most people i know would go for that in a heart beat. you might want to add on a draw back at proble the second or thrid tier but that is my take. also you have 5 archatype advancement but only 3 tiers is there a reason or are you letting them take 2 archatypes.

D Knight
2008-02-24, 04:06 PM
sorry double post lag on my end.

Stycotl
2008-02-24, 04:16 PM
The Arcane CadetAn arcane cadet is a spellcaster‘s abilities grow as he gains more experience with his surroundings and adapts accordingly.

this sentance is broken. i would fix the fluff details, help us see what kind of a role this guy plays.

NorseItalian
2008-02-24, 04:33 PM
Hmm, looks promising, but the fluff needs work.

Akennedy
2008-02-24, 07:15 PM
@ D knight
I'll post in an hour or so and talk about that

@ those regarding fluff
Yes, Fluff needs a LOT of help. I wrote it quick simply so i could say "I have fluff." Feel free to make any suggestions regarding fluff, because I'm out >_< :P.

Akennedy
2008-02-25, 06:30 AM
@ D knight
I'll post in an hour or so and talk about that
:P.

Okay, okay, so my sense of time sucks, but at least I got around to it :smalltongue:. I was somewhat iffy about giving the heavy armor option, but i realized that by the time they hit the third tier, they will be wearing mithral anyway. Also, if I just choose only to go to medium armor, the feat battle caster is still out there. As for heavy shields, I personally don't see that great an advantage because you still need a free hand to cast. However, because I never saw an ability in any book that allows for casting in heavy armor, I was and am still reluctant to put it there.
5 Archetypes are for the arcane cadet to have a diverse range of what they can do, or be specific in what they do, players choice. Also, I am aware that you can have a full bab and 8th level spell casting, and the ability to cast in armor. My response: "good" gish builds have a better HD, 17+ BAB and 9th level spells and some ability to cast in armor. So I don't really see this as that big of problem. Also, it gives the player to play this class throughout the game without the need to multiclass three thousand times to be something he wants to be.
As for drawbacks per tier... I almost like the idea, but I have no idea what I could give as drawbacks.

D Knight
2008-02-25, 06:05 PM
here is an idea you could reduce the number of spell points regained for each tier by .5 pt or up to 1 pt but that is just an idea. and what is max spell lv by the way.

Akennedy
2008-03-11, 02:40 PM
Max Spell Level is the highest spell level they are allowed to know. The Magister Archetype Advancement adds to the Max Spell Level... I'll clarify that now, thanks!

Pie Guy
2008-04-03, 03:37 PM
I really like it:smallsmile: