PDA

View Full Version : CTech

Mephe
2008-01-11, 11:33 PM
I just got my hands on a copy of CthulhuTech, and I'm not really sure what to make of it. It has rules for PCs (called "Dramatic Characters") that span far too wide a spectrum for any one game. Theres rules for soldiers, sorcerers, technitian, and it just goes up from there, let me give you a little look at some of the odditties:

Mechas: The least odd thing on this list, they're the Tech in CthulhuTech. They are giant robots with guns and all sorts of gadgets. These are standard fare for dealing with the larger alien menaces.
Engels: If you know what an EVA from NGE is, you can stop here. For everyone else, Engels are basically half robot/ half machine creatures with self-awareness. They are controlled by pilots who nuerally interface with the Engel's brain to assert their dominace over the monster. While overall superior to Mecha, Engels have some major drawbacks. Interfacing with a pseudo-alien life form is greatly distubing at best. Insanity is a common side effect seen in pilots. Also, while pilots can usually controll their Engel, if the pilot is rendered unconsious, the Engel goes berserk, destroying everything in can get its hands on.
Tagers: Now, these guys seem pretty interesting, actually. Tagers are people who have taken on a sybionic relationship with a parasite-like creature. In exchange for being able to feed of the host's natural magic energy, the symbiont genetically alters the host in to what could be considered super-human. They also grant the host the ability to shift in to a 7 foot tall monster. Each type of symbiont has different abilities in this form, such as blasts of eldritch energy, flight, and invisibility. The thing DCs need to watch out for is the inherent mental instability brought on by being a Host.

While all of these seem like great and cool additions, my concern lies in the combat "mobility". If you're a soldier/wizard/techie, you'll be challenged by other soldiers/wizrds/techies, Tagers will be a major problem, and you're pretty much SOL if your "Storyguide" (DM) puts you up against any kind of mecha. On the other side of the spectrum, if you're piloting an Engel, you'll be challeneged by mecha, and Tagers might be a nuisance, while troops are a not issue. What this means, basically, is that the SG has to decide what type of game they want to play: Troop-Level, Tager-Level, Mecha-Level, or Engel-Level. And after one is picked, you're pretty much stuck to a few options.

While it may seem like I'm just putting down CTech, I have to say that despite this, I really want to play a game. The idea of fighting against such things as The Dunwich Horror and Pickman's Models makes me more than a little giddy. So, take a look at this book, it's not for eeryone, but if you like d20 Modern/Future and you enjoy H.P. Lovecraft (which you should). You may just find that system you were looking for.

P.S. The motorcycle they show in the book looks like Kaneda's bike and is called the "Akira". So no points to the developers for originality :smallwink: .

Nerd-o-rama
2008-01-12, 04:05 AM
Actually, the instant I read the name "Engels" and realized what they were, I awarded the developers no points for originality.

However, I'm looking into this product intently, because it combines three of my favorite things (Cosmic horrors, gigantic mecha, and roleplaying games) in the whole wide world into one awesome, go-insane-while-blasting-the-crap-out-of-Migo package.

Now, I haven't read the book, but I'm under the impression that characters are meant to function at both mecha and personal scale levels, just like in, say, Mekton Zeta. Mecha/Engel pilots have an advantage while in their machines, but they can still function on the ground; just less so than Tagers. Sometimes you fight on foot with guns, sometimes you're in a thinly-veiled Mobile Suit or EVA, and sometimes you're a freakish halfbred mutant who can function on both levels. It gives some variety to life. I will say that non-pilot normal humans are probably not going to get played much, since they never have the advantage. Then again, I could be underestimating the Misato and Kaji fanpersons out there.

Anyway, I'll probably end up buying this system, at least the core book. It's a very unique idea, and the system (a stripped-down cinematic Storyteller-alike) sounds intriguing, although it has the potential to be just as boring as Storyteller when it comes time for combat. Given the setting, though, I find boring combat almost unimaginable.

Mephe
2008-01-12, 03:26 PM
I will say that non-pilot normal humans are probably not going to get played much, since they never have the advantage.

The one thing I can see non-pilot normals good for is their ability for spellcasting. WHile its not as flashy as, say, D&D, it fits with the style and does offer some intersting spells (a lot of protection, and some cool summons). The problem is, if one person wants to be a sorcerer, and everybody else decides to become pilots. The SG would have to divide the game time between the majority of pilots and the one "normal", where both sides would feel inadequite when the other is in the spotlight. I seriously think the game would be beter overall if the players were able to function as a cohesive unit, rather than some hodge-podge of pilots, Tagers, and spellcasters.

On a side note, I have already homebrewed an idea to sort of balance out Mecha and Engels. I noticed that all mecha and Engels have an "Armor Point" cost. I decided I'm going to implement that as a sort of LA. So a pilot could choose to pilot a Seraph (AP 18) at level 2, or a Cherub (AP 14) at level 6. (I say level because, while the game doesn't work on a level system, I'm giving an approximation.) Maybe I'll give something to Mecha pilots, like an extra "Level".
P.S. For all I know, that's how it's supposed to work, but the book can be kind of vague, I'm still learning the intricacies