PDA

View Full Version : Darkvision as a level 1 class ability?

Lolzords
2008-01-12, 02:36 PM
Howdy. Are there any base classes that get darkvision as a first level class ability? My rogue needs to function in the dark while keeping both his hands free,so I was considering dipping into a class for that free ability.

Level 1, by the way, so magic items that enable darkvision are out of the question.

It doesn't matter if the class isn't WOTC stuff, it can be homebrewed, or snagged of the net or anything, DM doesn't mind.

skywalker
2008-01-12, 02:43 PM
There are a number of other ways to solve this problem, you could be a dwarf(darkvision for free), or you could invest in some sunrods(which don't burn, therefore you can tie them to a belt or shoulder strap and not burn yourself), or you could have someone else hold a torch for you.

I don't know of anyway to get darkvision ever besides getting it as a racial feature, and I think making it a feat would be a little too strong at low levels, and a little too weak at high levels.

Just my two cents.

MCerberus
2008-01-12, 02:46 PM
You could just have someone cast light on your pants (or on a dull gray ioun stone)

MeklorIlavator
2008-01-12, 02:50 PM
The psionic power synthanesia[sic] might work. Its on the standard psion/wilder list, so try looking there.

Gorbash
2008-01-12, 02:54 PM
There's no way that any class would get it at 1st level, let alone a core class. Shadowdancer gets it at 2nd level, though...

Well if it can be homebrewed, just make it a rogue ability at first level, though that's dumb as hell, since Darkvision is a 3rd level spell, so it kinda ruins the point if a class gets it at first lvl...

Fax Celestis
2008-01-12, 02:59 PM
The psionic power synthanesia[sic] might work. Its on the standard psion/wilder list, so try looking there.

Synesthete, which the psychic rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) does not get for some reason. However, it wouldn't be an issue to add that power to the psyrog list.

Jacob Orlove
2008-01-12, 03:01 PM
If you're playing a rogue, Deep Halfling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfling.htm#deepHalfling) is generally going to be a better race than Dwarf, if you want Darkvision.

One level of Warlock would give you Devil's Sight or Seen the Unseen, though, with the latter being much stronger (60' Darkvision rather than 30', plus See Invisibility, but it won't work in magical darkness).

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-01-12, 03:02 PM
Darklight is a spell from the BOVD that might work well for a rogue. Other than that, you probably have to be either a dwarf or a kobold.:smallfrown:

Zenos
2008-01-12, 03:07 PM
I don't see a point in not being a dwarf rogue, it helps in trapfinding, a CON bonus is always useful and if you're not going to be the party face too, don't worry about the CHA.

Fax Celestis
2008-01-12, 03:12 PM
I don't see a point in not being a dwarf rogue, it helps in trapfinding, a CON bonus is always useful and if you're not going to be the party face too, don't worry about the CHA.

And you can be a Silver Key (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061106a&page=2)!