PDA

View Full Version : Soulfused [wierd semi-spellcasting class]

pseudovere
2008-01-12, 03:24 PM
Yay, my first homebrew, posted or otherwise! Tell me what you think! Proofreading for typos or bad grammar is appreciated too, as I wrote this out in one sitting, and am too tired/lazy to proofread it!

Soulfused are created by fusing the form of an incorporeal undead with a sentient being. The result is a being with but a passing memory of either the un/life of the undead or the host being, but with an intuitive and powerful form of magic.

Adventures: Soulfuseds odd natures often put them at odds with normal people. Most adventurers show more tolerance of their oddities than they can find anywhere else.

Characteristics: The soulfused's have, in addition to their normal body, an aura which surrounds them at all times. They can, at will, force this aura to materialize to fit their whims.

Alignment: Soulfused can be of any alignment. However, they are very odd creatures in this respect, as their very creation is a crime against nature, and an evil act. Because of this, they are often misunderstood and treated as evil, and often pushed to take evil actions just to survive.

Religion: Soulfused have no specific tendency toward religion, but seem to have a preference to gods associated with death and/or magic, as they are both aspects which define their existence.

Background: Most soulfused are created by evil necromancers for servants, and as such, many of them start off life controlled by them. They are also the subjects of many wizards' fascination, as they are a very rare form of magic. However, more often, they spend the first portion of their life learning on their own.

Races: Soulfused can be of any living race with almost equal probability, depending on the tastes of their creator.

Other Classes: Like everything else about the soulfused, their relations with other classes can best be described as odd. Soulfused generally have little memory or understanding of the customs of sentient creatures, and thus have a great deal of strain in dealing with other classes. They especially have trouble with most divine, because of their unnatural nature. The only class that soulfused truely find themselves comfortable with are wizards, as they both seek knowledge for the purpose of altering reality, and often are both little understood by other classes.

Role: A soulfused's role in the party is that of a secondary spellcaster and medium range fighter. A soulfused can easily match the combat power, if not necessarily the versatility of a wizard or fighter of their level, however, they require a closer range than a wizard does to be effective, and without support, a soulfused can quickly attract more attention from enemy combatants than it can handle.

Game Rule Information:

Soulfuseds have the following game statistics:
Alignment: Any.
Hit die: d4
Class Skills:
Concentration, Decipher Script, Knowledge (any), Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Speak Language.
Skill points: 2+ intelligence modifier (times 4 at 1st level)

Soulfused have no proficiency with any weapon other than their Aura Strike, and no proficiency with any armor. In addition, they are subject to arcane spell failure chance when wearing armor.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Aura Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Essence Points

1st|
+0|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+2|Soulfused Aura, Magic Affinity, Magic Sense, Magical Analysis, Soulcrystal, Material aura, Aura Strike, Shield Aura|2

2nd|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+3|Telekinetic Aura|6

3rd|
+1|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3||11

4th|
+2|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4||17

5th|
+2|
+5|
+1|
+1|
+4|Improved Aura Strike|25

6th|
+3|
+6/1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Area Shield|35

7th|
+3|
+7/2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Aura Burst|46

8th|
+4|
+8/3|
+2|
+2|
+6|Shade Strike|58

9th|
+4|
+9/4|
+3|
+3|
+6||72

10th|
+5|
+10/5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Improved Magical Afinity|88

11th|
+5|
+11/6/1|
+3|
+3|
+7||106

12th|
+6/1|
+12/7/2|
+4|
+4|
+8|Flight Aura|126

13th|
+6/1|
+13/8/3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Energy Aura|147

14th|
+7/2|
+14/9/4|
+4|
+4|
+9||170

15th|
+7/2|
+15/10/5|
+5|
+5|
+9|Blindsight|195

16th|
+8/3|
+16/11/6/1|
+5|
+5|
+10||221

17th|
+8/3|
+17/12/7/2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Align Aura|250

18th|
+9/4|
+18/13/8/3|
+6|
+6|
+11||280

19th|
+9/4|
+19/14/9/4|
+6|
+6|
+11||311

20th|
+10/5|
+20/15/10/5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Ghost Aura|343[/table]

Essence Points: Soulfuseds can NOT cast spells, at least in a traditional sense. Rather, they use their essence points to utilitize their abilities. They may spend a maximum of 1 point per level on any one effect. Soulfused regain Essence Points in the same manner that a psionic character regains Power Points, and gain bonus Essence Points based on intelligence as a psionic character gains Power Points.

Soulfused Aura (Su): Soulfuseds radiate an evil and undead aura as an evil undead of their level. However, this does not reflect their composition or alignment: this class does not define them as either undead or evil, and they otherwise respond to spells and abilities as their own creature type and alignment. This aura extends for 5 feet in all directions from the soulfused, although it cannot pass through material objects. Animals can sense this unnatural aura as well. Animals will not willingly enter a soulfused aura, and will panic if forced to do so; they remain panicked as long as they are within that range.

Magic Affinity (ex): Soulfuseds have an innate knowledge of magic that many wizards would kill for. Soulfused have a +2 bonus to Use Magic Device, Spellcraft and Knowledge: Arcana.

Magic Sense (ex): Soulfuseds have a sixth sense for magic. They may effectively cast detect magic at will, although this is a extraordinary ability, reflecting their natural link with magic.

Magic Analysis (ex): By spending 1d6 hours in a calm environment studying a magic item and making a spell craft check against 10 + the caster level check, a soulfused can learn the secrets of a magic item. By doing this, the soulfused knows when the item was created, all effects the item is capable of producing, all command words associated with the item, and a +5 insight bonus on all use magic device checks to use this item. If the soulfused fails, it may not attempt to analyze this magic item again for 1 month.

Soulcrystal (ex): Soulfuseds, due to the nature of their creation, do not have a soul inside their body. Rather, their soul is sealed in a small crystal. The soulcrystal has a hardness of their soulfused level+10, and hit points equal to half of the soulfuseds maximum hitpoints. As long as the soulcrystal is within 5 feet of the soulfused, the soulfused suffers no penalty on its actions, and the soulcrystal heals at the natural healing rate of the soulfused. However, if the soulcrystal is removed at a distance farther than 5 feet away from the soulfused, the body collapses into a comatose state, and natural healing for both the soulcrystal and body cease until the crystal is returned within 5 feet of the body. Death of the body or destruction of the soulcrystal results in the death of the soulfused. In addition, because of the nature of this bond, soulfuseds are uncomfortable arround effects that halt the effects of magic, such as dispell magic, or antimagic sphere. When any such effect enters a soulfused's aura, they must make a fortitude save against 10+ the caster's spellcasting ability modifier+ the spell level or become sickened.

Material Aura (Su): Soulfuseds have the ability to materialize parts of their aura. By spending 1 Essence Point, a soulfused's aura extends to 10 feet+ 5 additional feet per soulfused level, and the soulfused may utilitise known soulfused effects. This lasts for 1 minute per soulfused level. Soulfused abilities are listed in italics.

Aura Strike (Su): As an attack action (a soulfused may make a full attack using this ability), soulfused may strike at anything within its aura for 1d6 damage plus it's intelligence bonus, with an attack bonus of its aura attack bonus + it's intelligence modifier + any other modifiers that would be added to a weapon the soulfused was using. This is treated as an either a piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing attack (soulfused's choice) with a reach equal to the extent of the soulfused's aura. Spell resistance applies as normal to this attack. Despite the impressive reach of a soulfused's attack, a soulfused only threatens adjacent squares.

Shield Aura (Su): Whenever a soulfused Materializes their aura, they gain a deflection bonus to AC equal to their intelligence modifier.

Telekinetic Aura (Su): At 2rd level, the soulfused may to lift a number of items in their aura equal to or less than 1 item per soulfused level, to the limit of their maximum weight limit, substituting their intelligence score for their strength score. For example, if a fourth level soulfused had an intelligence score of 16, it could lift up 4 items within its aura, suposing that they did not exceed the maximum load limit for a strength score of 16. A soulfused may move any of these items at a speed of ten feet per soulfused level, providing they remain within the soulfused's aura. In addition, a soulfused may make an attack with any item that it has picked up using its intelligence score as its strength score, however, with a -4 nonproficiency penalty. Items thrown with this effect can be thrown as normal normal weapons, origionating from any point within the soulfused's aura.

Improved Aura Strike (Su): In addition to the normal effects of Aura Strike, Soulfuseds can, at 5th level, spend up to 1 Essence Point per level on one attack with aura strike. This causes that 1 attack to do 1d6 extra damage per Essence Point spent over 4. For example, if you spent 5 Essence Points on an attack, the attack would do its normal damage +1d6. Damage added with Improved Aura Strike is not effected by criticals.

Area Shield (Su): At 6th level, by spending 1 Essence Point per round, a soulfused may add it's deflection bonus to AC to all allies within it's aura.

Aura Burst (Su): At 7th level, by spending 2 Essence Points as a full round action, a soulfused may damage everything in its aura as if with an Aura Strike attack, with a reflex save for half damage. Extra Essence Points may be spent as normal to increase attack damage.

Shade Strike: Once per round, a soulfused at 8th level may spend 8 Essence Points, and sacrifice an aura strike attack to make an attack at the sacrificed attack's attack bonus to do 1d6 points of strength damage.

Improved Magic Affinity (Su): The soulfused begins to develope an uncanny affinity with magic items. At 10th level, by studying an arcane scroll, staff or wand, and attempting to use it through the use magic device skill, a soulfused can use the item without destroying it or any of it's charges, by spending Essence Points instead.
{table=head]spell level|0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9

points used|1|2|4|6|8|10|12|14|16|18|20[/table]

Flight Aura (Su): At 12th level, by spending 1 Essence Point per round, a soulfused may use their Telekinetic Aura ability to lift themselves off of the ground, effectively giving them a fly speed of 100 feet per round, with good manuverability. However, they are really just lifting themselves off of the ground using an advanced version of the telekinetic aura, so a solid surface, not necessarily horizontal, must be within the their aura's area, or a less solid surface (i.e. water) must be within half the radius of their aura.

Energy Aura (Su): At 13th level, a soulfused may now change the damage to the aura strike to either fire, cold, electricity, or sonic damage.

Blindsight (Su): At 15th level, a soulfused can litterally feel any objects inside of it's aura. It is considered to have blindsight within its materialized aura.

Align Aura (Su): At 17th level, a soulfused's aura strike is now considered aligned to the soulfused's alignment, and adamantine for the purpose of damage reduction.

Ghost Aura (Su): At 20th level, a soulfused's aura can strike incorporeal and ethereal creatures freely, and can pass through any solid object that a incorporeal creature can pass through. This, in combination with Aura Strike, and a Soulfused's Blindsight, allows it to see and freely attack any and all creatures within their aura, at this level 105 feet, in addition to moving any object in that area.

Stycotl
2008-01-12, 03:58 PM
interesting concept.

few things.

first of all. more fluff. you say this soulfused results when a sentient living creature merges with an incorporeal undead, and is usually created by a necromancer. is this a ritual? an accident? a curse? a gift from a dark god? give us more background.

two, skill points are too high in my opinion. i understand that it isn't a true caster per se, but fairly close, enough so that i would down the skill points to at least six, though i would go four.

you didn't mention as far as i saw whether aura strike was a standard action or something else.

give them a better capstone ability than ghost touch. spirit shamans gain this ability at sixth level. bump your ghost touch to fill in the dead spots in level nine or eleven, and then give them something cool for 20th level. give them undead qualities or something, the ability to take ghostform (some niftier version of incorporeality) a few times a day or something.

anyway, i like the flavor. fluff it up a bit so that i can like the flavor even more.

thanks, aaron out.

ronnyfire
2008-01-12, 04:13 PM
"When any such effect enters a soulfused's aura, they must make a fortitude save against 10+ the caster's spellcasting ability modifier+ the spell level."

what are the negative effects for failing a save wen near a anti magic field?

pseudovere
2008-01-12, 06:45 PM
more fluff. you say this soulfused results when a sentient living creature merges with an incorporeal undead, and is usually created by a necromancer. is this a ritual? an accident? a curse? a gift from a dark god? give us more background.

Yes, I am aware that I need more fluff. This is actually an adaptation from a character in my own classless RPG system that I am working on. The character was very... unique, and was specifically based around the idea that this evil organization was binding spirits (which are, incidentally, COMPLETELY different than anything I've heard of in DnD, with the exceptions of the homebrew rules that my friend made to adapt it), to their minions so that the spirits could make them fall over in agonizing pain when they didn't do what the organization wanted. But, they still had free will, and had been able to break free on several occasions, so they decided to try and just give a spirit control direct control over a body. That messed up horribly, and created the character this class is based on.

I understand where you are coming from when you say I need more fluff, and I'm working on it, but for now, I don't have anything to give you, and as you can see, the origins of this class aren't helping in the slightest. However, I will try to think something up, so check back soon.

skill points are too high in my opinion. i understand that it isn't a true caster per se, but fairly close, enough so that i would down the skill points to at least six, though i would go four.

I actually already had 2 skill points per level. What I believe you were looking at was the 1st level experience points, which are, of course, four times normal, putting it at 8. Its really easy to see why you thought that though, since I had it formatted really badly. It should be more apparent now though.

you didn't mention as far as i saw whether aura strike was a standard action or something else.

Aura strike is an attack action. While the base attack bonus generally sucks because soulfused have no training with weapons whatsoever, they have a separate base attack bonus listed as "aura attack bonus," which is a separate attack bonus, on par with that of a fighter for use only with aura related abilities, representing their intuitive use of their aura materialization. Because of this, as a full round action (at least at a high level) they can do up to four separate attacks.

give them a better capstone ability than ghost touch. spirit shamans gain this ability at sixth level. bump your ghost touch to fill in the dead spots in level nine or eleven, and then give them something cool for 20th level. give them undead qualities or something, the ability to take ghostform (some niftier version of incorporeality) a few times a day or something.

This is not only ghost touch. It makes their materialized aura be able to pass through solid objects, as if ethereal, so they could use any of their abilities freely, even through solid objects INCLUDING blindsight. This completely shatters the use of concealment, and cover for opponents, and allows soulfused to simply hide somewhere within 100 feet or so of the attackers, and horribly beat them until the attackers a) run away, b) figure out where the soulfused is and close in or c) die a horrible, painful death. I realized that this is kind of a tactical final ability, so I added a description of WHY its an awesome ability.

If you think this ability is STILL to weak after realizing its full implications, I'll consider moving it, but as it is, I'm thinking that it might be a bit overpowered, and might have to change it to an epic feat for this class.

"When any such effect enters a soulfused's aura, they must make a fortitude save against 10+ the caster's spellcasting ability modifier+ the spell level."

what are the negative effects for failing a save wen near a anti magic field?

My bad. Completely forgot to type that in. It's "or become sickened."

Thank you both. I have fixed (or at least attempted to fix) all of the things you pointed out (except for the things that I mentioned would be staying the same). I'm thinking that I might make a racial add-on template for soulfused, and make this a paragon class.

Reptilius
2008-01-12, 07:21 PM
Power Points: Soulfuseds can NOT cast spells or psionics, at least in a traditional sense. Rather, they use their power points to utilitize their abilities. Like any psionic class, they may spend a maximum of 1 point per level on any one effect. Soulfused regain powerpoints in the same manner as a psionic character.

Are these real power points? Is this a psionic class that uses pp to activate the powers of the spirit inside them? If not, then they should be something different.

Kai-Palin
2008-01-12, 07:48 PM
Material Aura (Su): Soulfuseds have the ability to materialize parts of their aura. By spending 1 power point this allows the soulfused to utilitise known soulfused effects for 1 minute per soulfused level. Soulfused abilities are listed in italics.

Aura Strike (Su): As an attack action (a soulfused may make a full attack using this ability), soulfused may strike at anything within its aura for 1d6 damage plus it's intelligence bonus, with an attack bonus of its aura attack bonus + it's intelligence modifier + any other modifiers that would be added to a weapon the soulfused was using. This is treated as an either a piercing, bludgeoning, or slashing attack (soulfused's choice) with a reach equal to the extent of the soulfused's aura. Spell resistance applies as normal to this attack.

Telekinetic Aura (Su): At 2rd level, the soulfused may to lift a number of items in their aura equal to or less than 1 item per soulfused level, to the limit of their maximum weight limit, substituting their intelligence score for their strength score. For example, if a fourth level soulfused had an intelligence score of 16, it could lift up 4 items within its aura, suposing that they did not exceed the maximum load limit for a strength score of 16. A soulfused may move any of these items at a speed of ten feet per soulfused level, providing they remain within the soulfused's aura. In addition, a soulfused may make an attack with any item that it has picked up using its intelligence score as its strength score, however, with a -4 nonproficiency penalty. Items thrown with this effect can be thrown as normal normal weapons, origionating from any point within the soulfused's aura.

Improved Aura Strike (Su): In addition to the normal effects of Aura Strike, Soulfuseds can, at 5th level, spend up to 1 power point per level on one attack with aura strike. This causes that one attack to do 1d6 extra damage per power point spent.

Area Shield (Su): At 6th level, by spending 1 power point per round, a soulfused may add it's deflection bonus to AC to all allies within it's aura.

Aura Burst (Su): At 7th level, by spending 2 power points as a full round action, a soulfused may damage everything in its aura as if with an Aura Strike attack, with a reflex save for half damage. Extra power points may be spent as normal to increase attack damage.

Shade Strike: A soulfused may at 8th level, rather than do normal damage with an Aura Strike, do 1d4 Strength damage.

This is an awesome class. I love the idea behind it.

I think it might be a bit underpowered in straight-up damage abilities. I might advise the equivalent of a size increase on the damage, say at 6th, 11th, 16th, and 20th levels? So the damage would go to 1d8, then 2d6, 3d6, and at 20th level 4d6.

The only other thing I see is that Shade Strike can be way too devastating against casters. Perhaps adding the cost of an additional power point per shade strike would help make it more balanced, because a Soulfused doing 4d4 Str damage a turn could be construed as being a bit overpowered, seeing as that would drop most casters in one turn. Without any balancing, there is no particular reason a soulfused should ever use the regular aura strike after he gets Shade Strike, its just stronger in all respects.

Stycotl
2008-01-12, 08:00 PM
underpowered? i argue the opposite. full bab attacks with damage that increases with the expenditure of power points? i think that this is fairly formidable. it even makes me nervous powerwise. the only thing that makes it a possibility of balanced is the power point expenditure. i am trying to compare it in my head to a warblade and its monstrous damage dice for certain abilities--most of which are standard action single attacks, btw. i suppose that i would have to playtest it to be sure. in lower levels, it's not an issue. in higher levels, i think its damage is balanced by the fact htat it can't pump out power points all day, compared to spellcasters and their auto-death spells, and martial adepts and their building-collapsing maneuvers. but mid-level is where i am worried. i think it might just be too powerful at about level 8-15 or so.

psuedovere, i appreciate the explanation, and yes, that is a good ability. and fluffwise, no one expects you to come up with it all in a hours. some of these homebrews take years to build a story around.

good job.

pseudovere
2008-01-12, 08:11 PM
This is an awesome class. I love the idea behind it.

Why thank you.

I think it might be a bit underpowered in straight-up damage abilities. I might advise the equivalent of a size increase on the damage, say at 6th, 11th, 16th, and 20th levels? So the damage would go to 1d8, then 2d6, 3d6, and at 20th level 4d6.

Actually, it can hit 4 times for damage at 1d6+intelligence modifier (and honestly, intelligence is more important to this class than it is to the WIZARD, so i'm expecting fairly impressive damage modifiers), and if you include improved aura strike, it can do up to 21d6+int damage, with improved strike the expense of 20 power points, and if you use multiple attacks, with a mere 80 power points at 20th level, you can do... 84d6+4(int) points of damage. (Although spending that much energy in one round is never a good idea) And of course, even if it didn't get the damage boost, it would still be about on par with a 20th lvl fighter, if you factor the reach of the soulfused. Poor fighters...

The only other thing I see is that Shade Strike can be way too devastating against casters. Perhaps adding the cost of an additional power point per shade strike would help make it more balanced, because a Soulfused doing 4d4 Str damage a turn could be construed as being a bit overpowered, seeing as that would drop most casters in one turn. Without any balancing, there is no particular reason a soulfused should ever use the regular aura strike after he gets Shade Strike, its just stronger in all respects.

Crap. You are completely right. Maybe give it a cost of... 8 power points per hit? And I guess that making the ability a standard action might be nice too. Although if i did that, upping it to 1d6 might not be too bad an idea...

Or maybe i could just make it so it does an automatic 1 damage on any attack that hits. That shouldn't be too bad, right?

I'm also thinking I might have a problem with attacks of opportunity as well. You know, with 105 foot reach at 20th lvl... Think I might need to disable the soulfused's attacks of opportunity...

Edit: got post ninja'd and hate double posting

underpowered? i argue the opposite. full bab attacks with damage that increases with the expenditure of power points? i think that this is fairly formidable. it even makes me nervous powerwise. the only thing that makes it a possibility of balanced is the power point expenditure. i am trying to compare it in my head to a warblade and its monstrous damage dice for certain abilities--most of which are standard action single attacks, btw. i suppose that i would have to playtest it to be sure. in lower levels, it's not an issue. in higher levels, i think its damage is balanced by the fact htat it can't pump out power points all day, compared to spellcasters and their auto-death spells, and martial adepts and their building-collapsing maneuvers. but mid-level is where i am worried. i think it might just be too powerful at about level 8-15 or so.

That is a good point. I'm not sure what I can do about that without ripping out the fundamental concepts of the class. I guess it would be capable of doing... 48d6 points of damage in one round at lvl 15 for 45 power points. Yeesh. I'll need to come up with a fix for that, but it's currently evading me. Maybe something like changing improved aura strike around... maybe make it so it does +(power points spent -4)d6 damage. That would cut it down to...36d6 at 15th lvl for 45 power points. Thats not too far out there, right? Oh, and I had better note that the bonus damage from improved strike doesn't increase with crits... x|

I'm really aiming to make this class just slightly overpowered in the combat and random magic knowledge region, so that the flaws it gets at 1st level pushes it back down to the slightly underpowered range at least. Can you imagine how horrible/fun it will be to deal with paladins?

Although, I guess after being smited the first few times and having it do nothing might stop them... Or maybe just make them think I'm really powerful and need to be hit with sharp things more. Oh well!

Kai-Palin
2008-01-13, 12:57 AM
You both are right. I missed the ability to increase damage dealt with expenditure of power points.

Possibly, in order to avoid confusion with psionics, could the term 'essence points' be substituted? This class seems to focus on drawing on a wellspring of spiritual (as in the undead spirit inside the person) energy.

As for attacks of opportunity, being able to make them at range is (I believe) impossible for just about everyone else. You can't do it with bows (again, only IIRC, I may have missed a feat somewhere that lets one do exactly that), and therefore, the Soulfused should be limited to just being able to use an AoO when someone provokes one in melee range, as long as the Soulfused's aura is running.

As for the power at ~15th level, remember that a sorceror can, at the same level, cast disintigrate 6 or 7 times a day, whereas the Soulfused can do 48d6 four times, each to a single foe. But I do think the +(power points spent -4)d6 damage adjustment would work quite well.

Also, you might want to treat the Soulfused Aura as an abjuration barrier WRT animals, i.e. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the aura keeps at bay allows the animals through unaffected. Also consider the aura functioning as a repel vermin spell, although not causing damage if the vermin comes through.

pseudovere
2008-01-13, 12:39 PM
Possibly, in order to avoid confusion with psionics, could the term 'essence points' be substituted? This class seems to focus on drawing on a wellspring of spiritual (as in the undead spirit inside the person) energy.

That makes sense. This class was actually called the psifused, and it was the result of the fusion with a psicrystal. I was actually about halfway through with writing this class up when I came up with the soulfused, so the power points are a remnant of that. Essence points make more sense though. I'll change it when I have more things I need to work on.

As for attacks of opportunity, being able to make them at range is (I believe) impossible for just about everyone else. You can't do it with bows (again, only IIRC, I may have missed a feat somewhere that lets one do exactly that), and therefore, the Soulfused should be limited to just being able to use an AoO when someone provokes one in melee range, as long as the Soulfused's aura is running.

Yeah, I guess phrasing it as range rather than reach would make sense.

Also, you might want to treat the Soulfused Aura as an abjuration barrier WRT animals, i.e. Forcing an abjuration barrier against creatures that the aura keeps at bay allows the animals through unaffected. Also consider the aura functioning as a repel vermin spell, although not causing damage if the vermin comes through.

I was thinking Antipathy, set to animals/ the wraiths Unnatural Aura.

Oh, and about Shade Strike: I limited it to a once per round attack for the cost of 8 power/essense point that does 1d6 strength damage. I believe that balances out the overpowered-ness of the ability, but I believe that it is still useful. Any thoughts?

Edit: The soulfused only threatens characters in adjacent spaces with its Aura Strike, animals will not willingly enter the aura, and will panic when forced to do so, and the aura only expand beyond 5 feet when it is materialized.

Icewalker
2008-01-13, 09:13 PM
Seems like a mostly damage dealing class, very little extra stuff for multiple purposes in non-combat situations, except for physical manipulation. Maybe add in a bunch of extra unusual things that they are able to do with the aura instead of one of the abilities.

Kai-Palin
2008-01-13, 11:26 PM
Now I just can't wait to see one of these guys fight a Beastmaster. Poor guy.

Shade strike now seems balanced to me. If nothing else, the 1/round limitation makes it well balanced.

I do see Icewalker's point, but then again, fighters and monks don't get too much related to non-combat situations either.

You (Pseudovere) said a few times that soulfused have knowledge that even wizards would die for. Perhaps you could let the soulfused use the Lore ability. Or allow a commune type effect 1/week or day, which improves every 5 levels from 9th level onward (max 3/week in non-epic) and costs no exp but instead 15 essence points/question answered.
Those abilities would represent the knowledge that the soulfused's immortal soul possessed until it became fused, which would be extensive.

On a further look through the class, I am left wondering if there are could be abilities tied to Spellcraft in the class. It might add to the usefulness of the skill, and justify a soulfused spending one of his relatively few skill points on Spellcraft repeatedly.

pseudovere
2008-01-13, 11:32 PM
Seems like a mostly damage dealing class, very little extra stuff for multiple purposes in non-combat situations, except for physical manipulation. Maybe add in a bunch of extra unusual things that they are able to do with the aura instead of one of the abilities.

You have a very good point. While I feel this class is... fairly well balanced in damage, It lacks defensive and non-combat capabilities.

All it really has are flying, telekinetics, divination, and advanced use magic device skills. I've been thinking of maybe giving it a bardic knowledge style ability, only only consisting of magic lore, and maybe a magic sensing ability with something similar to detect magic, only scent based and always active or something like that, possibly a constant deathwatch or something of the like to symbolize its ties to the undead, and maybe even a resistance to effects that wouldn't affect an undead. And maybe at a higher level, maybe a spell eating ability or something. That's all that I can think of in terms of non-combat use for this class that would fit with it's nature.

Any other ideas?

Edit: was doing something else while writing this, so in the hour that it took, somebody else posted. Go figure.

You (Pseudovere) said a few times that soulfused have knowledge that even wizards would die for. Perhaps you could let the soulfused use the Lore ability. Or allow a commune type effect 1/week or day, which improves every 5 levels from 9th level onward (max 3/week in non-epic) and costs no exp but instead 15 essence points/question answered.
Those abilities would represent the knowledge that the soulfused's immortal soul possessed until it became fused, which would be extensive.

On a further look through the class, I am left wondering if there are could be abilities tied to Spellcraft in the class. It might add to the usefulness of the skill, and justify a soulfused spending one of his relatively few skill points on Spellcraft repeatedly.

How about a spell effect that takes a substancial toll on the character (1d6 con damage or something. Hey, that might actually be pretty awesome.) to be able to do an in depth analysis of a magic effect, be able to alter it in some way (reset the spell as if it was newly cast, except apply the effects of a metamagic feat to it (such as maximize, extend, empower, etc), or if it's an item, boost its abilities temporarily), dispell it by absorbing it's power (increasing the essence points in store, but doing 1d6 damage per caster level of the effect to the soulfused). And of course, making it spellcraft based would make perfect sense.

Potentially that could be given at 1st level, but i don't know. It sounds like it will take a bit of time to type up, so any ideas would be great.

Parvum
2008-01-13, 11:42 PM
Not profficient in ANYTHING? Even wizards have profficiencies. Give the poor bugger the knowledge of which end goes inside the person, even if they can't make it that far.

pseudovere
2008-01-14, 12:03 AM
Not profficient in ANYTHING? Even wizards have profficiencies. Give the poor bugger the knowledge of which end goes inside the person, even if they can't make it that far.

Well, it really fits with the character of the class. While wizards have at least some time for training with weapons, most 1st level soulfused have maybe 2 years of memory, most of which is spent trying to stay alive, or working on honing their intuitive tallents. They are effectively a newborn when it comes to anything besides physical form and their academic knowledge.

Besides, soulfuseds have a weapon that uses their intelligence modifier both to hit and for damage, which they can use, 2 times a day at first level for two minutes each, not counting bonus essence points from intelligence.

And besides, in all honestly, your wizard isn't going to hit anything that doesn't require a touch attack anyway, and even if they did, it doesn't really do any damage. Why even bother?

Icewalker
2008-01-14, 12:03 AM

It makes complete sense to be lacking proficiencies...also I don't think I understand your second sentence, but if I do, then that is not even close to what proficiency is.

GoC
2008-01-14, 01:17 PM
Firstly, awesome class!
A lot of homebrew is really meh but this is flavourful and original!

A few reccomendations:
-At early levels soulfused don't have the essence points to last even two battles, they need enough to last for four encounters per day. Increase essence to 4 atr 1st level.
-The Soulfused are ghost themed so why not give them Ethereal Jaunt at later levels? Clerics and Wizards get it around level 10 so why shouldn't a half-ghost? Something like 5 essence points per round...
-Ghosts are very stealthy. Maybe you should put Hide and Move Silently on their list of class skills?
-The soulfused's damage potential is the same at level 1 as level 4. Why can't you just say that it does 1d6 points of damage per two points of essence spent? And before I forget you should say that only _soulfused level_ essence points can be spent per round. This solves the 84d6 damage problem quite nicely.
-Ok, this is a bit random but a kinda liked the idea so...
Tangible Aura
The Soulfused aura enters the material plane as a vicious gas. Any empty space inside the Soulfused's aura is filled with a thick murky (but non-poisonous) red vapour, this vapour hinders movement, a Str check with DC 10+soulfused's Int modifier is required to move at all and even then creatures can only move at half speed. Creatures farther away then 10ft from eachother have concealment and total concealment at 20ft. Ranged projectile attacks within the murky vapour are impossible. It can be burnt away in an area by dealing 10 points of fire damage to each 5ft square. The vapors move with the soulfused so he can move about without penalty.

This is good for neutralizing large mobs without killing them and is very useful to escaping soulfused BBEGs.

pseudovere
2008-01-14, 08:27 PM
-At early levels soulfused don't have the essence points to last even two battles, they need enough to last for four encounters per day. Increase essence to 4 atr 1st level.

Actually, they do. Supposing an 18 int at starting, they receive 2 bonus essence points at 1st level. (according to the srds, adapted from the psionics section. Might just copy that table in.) Even without that, they are guaranteed at least one bonus point from intelligence (supposing they have at least a 14 in int... and if you made one of these without at least a 14 in int, you are either making a parody of the class, or something is seriously WRONG with you.

In addition, supposing each fight lasts less than 10 rounds, the soulfused becomes a dominant combat presence. It does nearly as much damage as the fighter, with reach. (planning on increasing that. first level DOES put the soulfused too close for comfort.)

I am aware that the soulfused is VERY vulnerable after a 3rd combat. But then again, so are all the spellcasting classes. At all levels, the real weakness in the soulfused's abilities is duration. Yes, it can do ridiculous damage for a short period of time, and can hog a considerable amount of screentime for the first couple encounters. However, it runs out of steam quickly. This is actually part of the effect that I was trying to make with the class: powerful, but frail.

And besides, 1st level wizards are generally reduced to using ray of frost by the 4th, if not the 3rd encounter. 1d3 damage. It just doesn't have much use. It's hard to argue that the soulfused having to hide and hit things on the back of the head with some random dropped weapon is really much less effective.

-The Soulfused are ghost themed so why not give them Ethereal Jaunt at later levels? Clerics and Wizards get it around level 10 so why shouldn't a half-ghost? Something like 5 essence points per round...
-Ghosts are very stealthy. Maybe you should put Hide and Move Silently on their list of class skills?

No, soulfused are NOT ghost themed. They are created from a ghost or ghostlike creature, but they have absolutely no training with their physical body. Wacky hyjinx, go! They are more of a ghost's energy, attached to a physical, living body.

However, I could definitely see a place for Ethereal Jaunt. I think I might add it.

-The soulfused's damage potential is the same at level 1 as level 4.

So is the fighter's, more or less. The soulfused counts on it range and armour bonuses to keep up with the competition at this level.

Why can't you just say that it does 1d6 points of damage per two points of essence spent? And before I forget you should say that only _soulfused level_ essence points can be spent per round. This solves the 84d6 damage problem quite nicely.

Limiting it to soulfused level essence points would drastically underpower this class at later levels, as well as make essence points considerably more expensive. In addition, it WOULD get rid of the 84d6 at 20th level problem (which is now more like the 72d6 problem now), however, it would create the 14d6 damage at 20th level problem. Besides, using the 72d6 damage means that you have to hit with 4 attack rolls, each of which you have to spend over the equivalent of a 9th level psionic power. Not something you would be doing to often.

[QUOTE=GoC;3790642]-Ok, this is a bit random but a kinda liked the idea so...
Tangible Aura
The Soulfused aura enters the material plane as a vicious gas. Any empty space inside the Soulfused's aura is filled with a thick murky (but non-poisonous) red vapour, this vapour hinders movement, a Str check with DC 10+soulfused's Int modifier is required to move at all and even then creatures can only move at half speed. Creatures farther away then 10ft from eachother have concealment and total concealment at 20ft. Ranged projectile attacks within the murky vapour are impossible. It can be burnt away in an area by dealing 10 points of fire damage to each 5ft square. The vapors move with the soulfused so he can move about without penalty.

This is good for neutralizing large mobs without killing them and is very useful to escaping soulfused BBEGs.

You have the right to like that idea. It's awesome. However, the soulfused's powers, in my vision, are more of a technical, geometric sort of thing, which would fit more with its semi-artificial creation. However, that ability is awesome, and I think that it would be a crime to waste it. I will create a variation, which I will try to add on.

That felt wordier than normal, I apologize... You don't think that I'm adding too many abilities to this thing, do you? I don't want it to end up overpowered...

GoC
2008-01-15, 10:00 AM
Ah, I see... It's balanced then.

Limiting it to soulfused level essence points would drastically underpower this class at later levels, as well as make essence points considerably more expensive. In addition, it WOULD get rid of the 84d6 at 20th level problem (which is now more like the 72d6 problem now), however, it would create the 14d6 damage at 20th level problem. Besides, using the 72d6 damage means that you have to hit with 4 attack rolls, each of which you have to spend over the equivalent of a 9th level psionic power. Not something you would be doing to often.
Let's see...
4d6+4xInt+10d6=89 (assuming 30 Int)
Not too bad.
If you limit it to 2xclass level essence points/round then the damage goes up to 124. This is ranged, pass-through-walls, no-save, no-resistance, ignores-AC damage. That's far better than anything any other class can do.

That felt wordier than normal, I apologize... You don't think that I'm adding too many abilities to this thing, do you? I don't want it to end up overpowered...
Wizards have roughly 1000 abilities. No I don't think it's overpowered.

pseudovere
2008-01-15, 08:25 PM
Let's see...
4d6+4xInt+10d6=89 (assuming 30 Int)
Not too bad.
If you limit it to 2xclass level essence points/round then the damage goes up to 124. This is ranged, pass-through-walls, no-save, no-resistance, ignores-AC damage. That's far better than anything any other class can do.

Okay, you're right. I guess the damage has to be limited to once per round. However, 2 things:

1)It is not AC ignoring. They need to beat the opponent's AC, and not their touch AC. It has to hit normally.

2)While I will limit improved soul strike to once per round, the soulfused has plenty of abilities that require continuous power points to be pumped in. It doesn't make sense that to make a full powered attack, a flying soulfused has to suddenly fall out of the air.

Wizards have roughly 1000 abilities. No I don't think it's overpowered.

Alright.

GoC
2008-01-15, 09:05 PM
2)While I will limit improved soul strike to once per round, the soulfused has plenty of abilities that require continuous power points to be pumped in. It doesn't make sense that to make a full powered attack, a flying soulfused has to suddenly fall out of the air.

Think of it as him using power to stay airborn and thus not being able to put everything ito attacking. But either's cool.

pseudovere
2008-01-21, 04:47 PM
Okay, I have added several 1st level out of combat abilities to the soulfused (magic sense, magic analysis), moved aura shield to first level, and increased the reach of the soulfused's aura to 10'+ 5'/lvl. (Because a character with 5 hp and no bonus to their armor class with 10 foot reach is STILL just asking for horrible, painful death.)

I know that I still need to work out the problems with improved aura strike at mid to high levels, add out of combat abilities for those lvls, and add rules on the creation of soulfuseds. I plan to get to within a week or two. (this is finals week for me :smalleek:)

Edit: I added the ability to use Use Magic Device with the Intelligence modifier rather than the charisma modifier.

pseudovere
2008-02-08, 12:48 AM
I have further edited the magic sense ability to make it mirror a detect magic spell, as it did not really make sense in game terms before.