PDA

View Full Version : Build help

NaYoN
2008-01-12, 05:23 PM
Well, screw the incarnum thread, turns out we planned to put that campaign on hiatus and work on some new characters because.. well many reasons.

So I'm planning to have a new character that is definitely NOT core, and I'm thinking Synad from Complete Psionic, and Psion as a class. The starting level is 5, can you guys give me some class/prc combination that is either designed for lv5 or something that is designed to take a prc later on? I'd like some cheese but not so much that the DM notices, he's a fluff DM, so I shouldn't anger him.
I'm looking for a caster, and I want it to be a synad. preferably evil. PSions are nice, but which prc should I get? I might want to go towards becoming a cerebremancer. I looked at erudite, since I don't like specializing too much in one discipline, but I seriously didn't get how it works. so can someone please give me some pointers?

Also, I think I might want to become a spectral savant (complete psionic page 136, it's something like a lich, but psionic and not so strong).

Any ideas?

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-12, 08:52 PM
Beguiler - 1 with the Precocious Apprentice feat and the Hidden Talent feat from EPH if Flaws are an option in your game and if the PA feat will qualify for the Cerebrancer PRC entry in your game. Lots of class specials that synergize nicely with a psionic class, Psion -4 to personal taste, Cerebrancer PRC in future levels.

With LA buydown throw in the +2 LA Phrenic template already paid down a single +1, leveling to 4th level so Beguiler - 1 with PA and HT, Psion - 3 to taste.

I wouldn't recommend the Erudite at low levels without going Cerebrancer even with the Hidden Talent feat for something like the Astral Construct power which would always be available to an Erudite because while they can know many powers (more with a laxer DM) they are still limited by usable daily powers.

At low levels Fast Healing 1 can be nice with a Erudite using the Spells to Power variant (Wizard's Web Page Variant) for a party healer type with limited healing access in game to things like Cure Light Wands or Wands of Fast Healing 1 or Belts of Healing.

Wordmiser
2008-01-12, 09:56 PM
Spells to Power variant (Wizard's Web Page Variant)Here's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070629a)a link. I recommend using this over taking Cerebremancer levels.

Another fairly subtle high-powered option would be a Phrenic Mystic Swordsage with LA buy-down. The Manifesting would be a lie, but you would have the overall flavour of a Cerebremancer.

I seriously didn't get how it worksI don't remember exactly, but I think Erudites get to choose a limited number of different powers that they can manifest throughout a day similar to a Spirit Shaman's "Spells Retreived."

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-13, 12:12 AM
Erudites get to "Know" lots of powers (Spells and Powers if using the Spells to Power variant) than any other psionic class in the game with limited daily access that roughly compares to the known powers the comparable standard Wilder class.

Erudite isn't a very good deal at low levels even with gestalt normally but at higher levels they can access their larger known power selection situationally. Generally higher level powers are more useful sitiuationally adventuring.

The is the major strength of the class is more known powers not limited by disciplines that even includes spells with the spells to power variant in the link from the above post at Wizard's.

At level 20 with 343 base PP an Erudite could (not necessarily would) acess up to 11 level 9 powers a day. A 17 PP Miracle is nice for one of those 11 power choices in an adventure IMO for the versatility the PC gets IMO.

Taking the Hidden Talent feat from EPH for something like Astral Construct is nice at first level with Beguiler is nice because the PC could already use the power before entering the Erudite class but is a nice solid power through all levels IMO. It also gives an Erudite who can "Know" more powers than a comparable Psion or Wilder but only access 1 of them a day an always available power to use that doesn't count against the Erudite daily power access limitation.

Now the reason I suggested going Beguiler with Precocious Apprentice if it qualifies for entry into Cerebrancer in your game) along with Hidden Talent feat Astral Construct is the Beguiler class is SAD Intelligence which gets D6 for hit points, 6 skill points a level (+16 skill points at level 1 which may never be an issue in your game), light armor proficiency and some decent weapons without ASF in light armor so a good first level class with some useful spellcasting (Sleep and Color Spray) to back up your psionic powers leveling up to Cerebrancer.

Beguiler -1 (with PA and HT), Erudite -4, Cerebrancer - 10, 5 psionic PRCs to taste for level 9 Powers and lots of Power Points with Beguler - 11 spellcasting up to level 5 spells well over a hundred spells spontaneously for a lot of versatility in game. IMO losing a single level of psionics is a good tradeoff for what your PC gets in game but every game is different.

NaYoN
2008-01-13, 04:17 AM
Beguiler - 1 with the Precocious Apprentice feat and the Hidden Talent feat from EPH if Flaws are an option in your game and if the PA feat will qualify for the Cerebrancer PRC entry in your game. Lots of class specials that synergize nicely with a psionic class, Psion -4 to personal taste, Cerebrancer PRC in future levels.

With LA buydown throw in the +2 LA Phrenic template already paid down a single +1, leveling to 4th level so Beguiler - 1 with PA and HT, Psion - 3 to taste.

I wouldn't recommend the Erudite at low levels without going Cerebrancer even with the Hidden Talent feat for something like the Astral Construct power which would always be available to an Erudite because while they can know many powers (more with a laxer DM) they are still limited by usable daily powers.

At low levels Fast Healing 1 can be nice with a Erudite using the Spells to Power variant (Wizard's Web Page Variant) for a party healer type with limited healing access in game to things like Cure Light Wands or Wands of Fast Healing 1 or Belts of Healing.

Um, which book were flaws on? I have 3.0 phb dmg and mm and can't seem to find them? Is it in unearthed arcana or 3.5 versions of those books?

NaYoN
2008-01-13, 08:03 AM
Well, after recommendations I checked out Sandstorm, and had a completely different idea. I want to be an evil druid who will be a walker of the wastes and dry lich eventually. So what's the earliest level I can get Walker of the wastes with a druid? (I don't care about wild shaping or going very zilla, the dry lich/wotw path is fine enough for me.)