PDA

View Full Version : Rejuvenating Shield [Armor](PEACH)

Chronicled
2008-01-12, 09:41 PM
I'm not much of a Halo fan, but Necromas's comment in the Gaming forum had me interested in making an armor enhancement like a Spartan's shield. So here's my first foray into the Homebrew forum:

Rejuvenating Shield, Lesser
Price: +2 bonus
Property: Armor
Activation: --
A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to the your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 1 point per round, beginning 2 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, vigor

Rejuvenating Shield
Price: +3 bonus
A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to twice your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 2 points per round, beginning 2 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, vigor

Too good? Not good enough? Suggestions for making it more like the Spartan II shield, or for making the language fit the D&D archtype would be appreciated as well. Note: the sentence about the temp HP only being lost from attacks/spells/falls is to prevent it from making forced marches easy.

All comments are appreciated.

Kenbert
2008-01-12, 11:16 PM
Very cool ... it's interesting though, that it provides temporary hit points. based on the name, i'd expect it to just heal as it goes ... adding hit points, well, that might make it worth more than a +2/+3 bonus. i'm no expert though.

GoC
2008-01-12, 11:29 PM
Now this is cool.:smallcool:

Jack_Simth
2008-01-12, 11:43 PM
Very cool ... it's interesting though, that it provides temporary hit points. based on the name, i'd expect it to just heal as it goes ... adding hit points, well, that might make it worth more than a +2/+3 bonus. i'm no expert though.
For most intents and purposes, they're a pool of temporary HP that replenish themselves between battles, and are always on.

For most purposes, yes, it's extra HP. That +1 Lesser Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 9,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +2 Amulet of Health (4,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the item.

The +1 Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 16,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +4 Amulet of Health (16,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the effect.

The Lesser version should probably be about +3, normal +5.

Chronicled
2008-01-13, 12:00 AM
Thanks for the compliments!

For most intents and purposes, they're a pool of temporary HP that replenish themselves between battles, and are always on.

For most purposes, yes, it's extra HP. That +1 Lesser Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 9,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +2 Amulet of Health (4,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the item.

The +1 Rejuvenating Shield (if that's all you have on it), HP wise, costs you 16,000 gp in enchantements, gives you the effect of the +1 Shield at 1,000 gp, the HP effects (stacking) of a +4 Amulet of Health (16,000 gp) and refills itself fairly quickly (price difficult to calculate) that doesn't fill the normal slot for the effect.

The Lesser version should probably be about +3, normal +5.

Thanks a lot for recalculating the price. :smallsmile:

I'd like to make this a little cheaper (thus a viable enhancement), since at +5 it's far less helpful than equivalent +5 enhancements, like Heavy Fortification. I certainly wouldn't pay +5 worth of enhancement for at most 40 extra HP that didn't require healing to refill. With that in mind, would it be a good idea to have the temp HP not stack? Should they refill more slowly? Or would something else work to that end?

Fizban
2008-01-13, 12:09 AM
I wouldn't count it as the same price as an amulet of health, since the amulet also gives you a bonus on fort saves. The restoration on the other hand, would probably cost a lot more.

I'll ride the middle ground and say +2 and +4.

Edit: I'll also ask: not stack with what? By default I'm pretty sure temporary hp usually doesn't stack. If you meant with enhancement bonuses to con, those aren't temporary (though you probably know that), so I don't see why they shouldn't stack.

Another comparison that could be made: the minor shapeshift reserve feat lets you take a swift action to give yourself temporary hp equal to your caster level, that last for 1 round per level of the highest level polymorph spell you have available. I don't know what that would mean for price, but it might be helpful.

Chronicled
2008-01-13, 12:22 AM
Edit: I'll also ask: not stack with what? By default I'm pretty sure temporary hp usually doesn't stack. If you meant with enhancement bonuses to con, those aren't temporary (though you probably know that), so I don't see why they shouldn't stack.

With those granted by a barbarian's rage, numerous spells/powers, the feat Stone Power, etc. By default they usually don't stack.

Edit: Fixed.

Another comparison that could be made: the minor shapeshift reserve feat lets you take a swift action to give yourself temporary hp equal to your caster level, that last for 1 round per level of the highest level polymorph spell you have available. I don't know what that would mean for price, but it might be helpful.

There's also the Heartening Property from XPH/SRD and MIC (different in each). Thanks for mentioning this one.

Cieyrin
2008-01-13, 01:22 AM
Barbarian Rage hp aren't considered temporary hitpoints. They don't get any special treatment and they're as real as if you'd got a Bear's Endurance cast on you.

Chronicled
2008-01-13, 02:45 PM
Ah, thanks. Fixed now.

(Still looking for advice.)

Triaxx
2008-01-13, 09:01 PM
I like this. It's very fitting. Would the HP from an Aid spell stack?

Chronicled
2008-01-14, 12:22 AM
As written, yes. I'm hoping that some of the more experienced homebrewers can chime in with advice; depending on what they say it may change.

Chronicled
2008-01-15, 03:54 AM
No more advice makes Chronicled a sad homebrewer. :smallfrown:

DracoDei
2008-01-15, 12:57 PM
Consider making it armor since it protects the whole body, rather than a shield (which is worn on the arm).

Chronicled
2008-01-15, 09:10 PM
Consider making it armor since it protects the whole body, rather than a shield (which is worn on the arm).

Um, while the name is Rejuvenating Shield, the description says "Armor." I thought it sounded better than Rejuvenating Bubble, which was all I could think of at the moment.

Chronicled
2008-01-17, 11:48 PM
One last bump for advice/critique.

Blackadder
2008-01-17, 11:55 PM
Have you considered adding another round to the recharge? Two rounds(12 seconds) can be a quick time, especially if your AC means your not getting hit that often. Three rounds(18 seconds) is just long enough to cancel out "luck" heals.

+2 and +4 sounds about right for the enchantment(With a three round recharge). Since the actual amount of HP added is so small I'd say it works out better.

Chronicled
2008-01-18, 12:13 AM
That sounds like a decent enough change. Here's the edited versions:

Rejuvenating Shield, Lesser
Price: +2 bonus
A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to the your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 1 point per round, beginning 3 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm)

Rejuvenating Shield
Price: +4 bonus
A suit of armor with this property glows yellow and hums when activated. The armor provides a number of temporary hit points equal to twice your hit dice. These temporary hit points are only lost from attacks, spells, or falls that would damage you. These temporary hit points are restored at a rate of 2 points per round, beginning 3 rounds after you have not taken any damage. These temporary hit points stack with any other temporary hit points you may have.
Prerequisites: Craft Arms and Armor, vigor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/vigor.htm)

DracoDei
2008-01-18, 04:44 AM
Um, while the name is Rejuvenating Shield, the description says "Armor." I thought it sounded better than Rejuvenating Bubble, which was all I could think of at the moment.

Right you are, my mistake. Carry on.