PDA

View Full Version : The perfect soldier, the perfect minion...Pikmin! (Creatures and Artifacts)

TheLogman
2008-01-12, 11:14 PM
Pikmin!

"I thought they were plants, then I thought they were animals. Now I know better, they are Pikmin, dedicated, strong, hard workers, and I love being their king."-Boranrsky, power hungry wizard

Pikmin

{table] | Red | Blue | Yellow | White | Purple
Size/Type | Small Plant (Pikmin) | Small Plant (Pikmin) | Small Plant (Pikmin) | Small Plant (Pikmin) |Small Plant (Pikmin)
Hit Dice | 1d8+3 (7) | 1d8+3 (7) |1d8+3 (7) | 1d8+3 (7) | 1d8+3 (7)
Initiative | +2 | +2 | +2 | +7 | +1
Speed | 20 ft | 20 ft., 20 ft. Swim | 20 ft. | 25 ft. | 15 ft.
Armor Class | 15 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size) | 15 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size) | 15 (+2 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size) | 16 (+3 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size) | 14 (+1 Dex, +2 Natural, +1 Size)
Base Attack/Grapple | +0/-3 | +0/-3 | +0/-3 | +0/-4 |+0/-1
Attack | +4 Slam 1d4+1 |+2 Slam 1d4+1 | +2 Slam 1d4+1 | +1 Slam 1d4 | +4 Slam 1d4+3
Full Attack | +3 Slam 1d4+1 |+1 Slam 1d4+1 | +1 Slam 1d4+1 | +0 Slam 1d4 | +3 Slam 1d4+3
Space/Reach | 5ft./5ft. | 5ft./5ft. | 5ft./5ft. | 5ft./5ft. | 5ft./5ft.
Special Attacks | Swarmfighting, Latch, Skilled Fighter | Swarmfighting, Latch | Swarmfighting, Latch | Swarmfighting, Latch, Poisonous |Swarmfighting, Latch
Special Qualities | Fire Immunity, Pikmin Qualities | Skilled Swimmer, Pikmin Qualities | Electricity Immunity, Pikmin Qualities, Glide | Poison Immunity, Pikmin Qualities | Strong Bodied, Pikmin Qualities
Saves | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +0 | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +0 | Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +0 |Fort +5, Ref +3, Will +0 | Fort +5, Ref +1, Will +0
Abilities |Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 5 | Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 5 | Str 12, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 5 | Str 10, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 5 | Str 16, Dex 12, Con 16, Int 3, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills | Survival +4 | Swim +5 | Climb +5, Listen +2, Spot +2 | Spot +4 | +4 Survival
Feats | Dodge | Endurance | Alertness |Improved Initiative| Endurance
Environment |Any Plains | Any Plains or Any Aquatic | Any Plains | Any Underground | Any Underground
Organization | Never Singular, Group (2-5) Pack (5-10), Swarm (15-20), or Mob (50-100 and a Humanoid leader) | See Previous | See Previous | See Previous| See Previous
Challenge Rating | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1 | 1
Treasure | None | None | None | None | None
Alignment | Neutral | Neutral | Neutral | Neutral | Neutral
Advancement | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A
Level Adjustment |N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A | N/A [/table]

It seems to be like a red little creature, staring at you. A single leaf on a stem comes from its head. Suddenly, hundreds appear, all around you, some of every color. They grab onto you, beating you into submission. Everything goes black...

Pikmin speak in their own strange garbled language, but understand any language it's leader is speaking.

Combat

Not very intelligent by themselves, Pikmin look for a humanoid creature to bond with. Once they bond with that creature, they will follow their commands and fight to the death for them. When in the wild or without a commander, the Pikmin will attack any possibly hostile creatures and recycle them in their Onions for food. Pikmin by themselves are weak, but are amazingly efficient when fighting together. In order to facilitate the fighting together, the Pikmin developed the a number of attacks to take advantage of their ability to fight together.

Swarmfighting: When fighting a creature of Medium or greater size, a number of Pikmin can occupy that creature's space depending on the size of the creature.

{table] Size of Creature | Maximum Number of Pikmin
Medium | 10
Large | 50
Huge or bigger | 100 [/table]

Latch: When occupying a creature's square, a Pikmin can latch onto that creature with a grapple check with a +5, bonus, with +1 more for each 5 Pikmin also within that Creature's square. When Latched onto a creature, a Pikmin makes Slam attacks against that creature with a +5 Circumstance bonus. If the opponent succeeds in a check to escape the grapple, it may remove an additional pikmin for every five by which it exceeded the check (and all on a 20).

Skilled Fighter: Naturally designed to be efficient fighters, a red Pikmin gets a +2 bonus to attack checks.

Poisonous: White Pikmin are inherently poisonous, and can be deadly when eaten. Whenever a creature uses a Bite Attack or Swallows a White Pikmin, a Ingest Poison activates, forcing a DC 15 Fortitude Save or 1d6 Con damage.

Skilled Swimmer: Blue Pikmin, unlike other Pikmin, can swim, and are not at risk for drowning. They also gain a +8 bonus to Swim checks, and can take 10, even when threatened or under stress.

Glide: When thrown or airborn, a Yellow Pikmin may move at 10 per round.

Strong Bodied: Treat a Purple Pikmin as 2 sizes larger for the purposes of how much weight it can carry, drag, or lift.

Pikmin Traits:
-Willing to Follow: The first humanoid that comes in contact with a Pikmin color's Onion, or the first creature that comes in contact with an Onion after 1 month of not having a leader, becomes the Pikmin's Leader. All Pikmin of that color will follow the leader and accept any allies the leader may have.
The Leader can give the Pikmin verbal instructions, although they understand little more than "Carry", "Attack", "Rest", and "Follow". Unattended Pikmin will rest wherever they were left and wait until their leader is returned, but will defend themselves should danger present itself.

-Bad Swimmers: All Pikmin but Blue Pikmin will drown in any water that is more than 1 feet deep.

-Music Loving: Pikmin respond well to music and sound, and can take orders via whistle or other sound if the Leader desires. Also, any Bard or Musical effect that would provide the Pikmin with a bonus is +1 more effective.

Pikmin Templates

Bud

The Bud Template is acquired by Pikmin that are allowed to mature underground and soak up extra minerals. The Leaf on the Pikmin's head is instead a small Bud. A Pikmin with the Bud Template gets a +1 to Attack and Damage Rolls, and is 5 ft. Faster with all its speeds.

Flower

The Flower Template is aquired by Pikmin that allowed to mature for extended periods of time, or those that drink a nutrient rich sap. The Leaf on the Pikmin's head is instead a small Flower. A Pikmin with the Flower Template gets a +2 to Attack and Damage Rolls and is 10 ft. Faster with all its speeds. The Flower Template does not stack but replaces the Bud Template.

Pikmin-related Plants.

Pikmin Onions
Before you stands a Bulb with 3 stands, Large in size. Inside you can hear the whispered chattering of almost 100 voices.

Treat the Pikmin Onions as Large Objects with a Fly speed of 60. A Humanoid that bonds with an Onion becomes its leader and can command its Pikmin. The Onions have a Hardness of 20 and 100 HP, and if under attack, will spit out Pikmin to help defend it. The Onion acts as more than just a living space for the Pikmin though, it also feeds it with excess developed through the Pikmin growth process (Below)

Pikmin are trained to bring any dead creatures or nutrient-rich stones to the Onion, and will do so if near any unless commanded not to. An Onion sucks in organic material that Pikmin will bring in, but will accept anything living. Once an Onion takes in enough Organic material, it changes it into Pikmin seeds of the color of the Onion. See the table below for the Exchange Rates.

{table] Size of Material | Number of Seeds Produced
Small | 1
Medium | 1d4+1
Large | 2d6+3
Huge | 3d8+5 [/table]

The Onion plants the seeds around it, which can be plucked after only 1 day of growth. If the seeds are allowed to stay in the ground for 2 days or more, the Pikmin that can be plucked is a Bud (Above). If 5 days are waited, the Pikmin that can be plucked is a Flower (Above). If 6 or more days are waited, the cycle is reset.

Flowers
Deep underground are a number of multi-hewed flowers. The flowers are of Large size, and bounce and jiggle when hit. The Flowers come in the 5 colors of Pikmin, and the Queen Colors. When up to 5 Pikmin are thrown into one of the flowers, they turn into that color, and are planted around the flower, as if reborn. Queen Flowers, however, work differently, and instead rotate what colors they are. When a single Pikmin is thrown in, roll 1d3. 1 is Red, 2 is Blue, and 3 is Yellow. Whatever result comes up, that single Pikmin, regardless of type, turns into 15 Pikmin of that color. Regardless of what type of flower it used, it wilts away after usage.

Artifacts

Olimar's Suit: Olmiar, an adventurer first credited with the discovery of the Pikmin, created and designed a suit to make it easier to adventure with the Pikmin. In addition to the qualities listed below, it is possible to acquire further upgrades if the right materials are acquired (DM's digression).

Olimar's basic suit has the following qualities:

-Basic Life support : A Creature with Olimar's suit on can easily breath in any conditions, even in areas with no air, underwater, or in the presence of poisoned air.
-Whistle: Olimar saw it fit to equip the suit with a long range Whistle (80 ft.) that he found the Pikmin especially responded to
-Olimar's suit can be enchanted just as any regular armor, and before enchantment is a Masterwork Hide armor with a Max Dex Bonus of +10, and an Arcane Spell Failure chance of 5%.

Further Upgrades: The upgrades that follow are easy to install on Olimar's suit, especially since it is so adaptive. The general way to upgrade the suit is to find a material that mimics what you want the suit to do, however, as always, upgrades are DM's digression. More Powerful abilities, such as Displacement or Camouflage, require rarer, perhaps magical substances, and perhaps a powerful Arcane Caster.

-Fire Resistant: Olimar's suit grants Fire immunity. Common materials used include Salamander or Dragon Hide, or perhaps a part of a Fire Elemetal

-Electricity Resistant: Olimar's suit grants immunity from electrical attacks. The only substance known to grant this ability is a strange substance from another world called "Rubber"

-No Blowback: Olimar's suit grants Immunity from wind effects and Bullrush attempts. Elemental Substance from an Earth Elemental or some tough substance could grant this substance.

-Displacement: Olimar's suit becomes shimmery and displaced, giving the wearing a 10% miss chance. Materials that could be used include a piece of Displacer Beast Hide, magically treated.

-Camo: Olimar's suit can blend in with its surroundings, giving the wearing a +10 to Hide checks.

-Elemental Tolerance: Olimar's suit grants the effects of an Endure Elements spell.

Wow, lotta Work done in a short time, I appreciate editing help, and as always really appreciate comments.

EDIT: Woops, forgot the Saves. Fixed.

FlyMolo
2008-01-12, 11:42 PM
These are cool! Good job emulating the pikmin traits with DnD stats.

Actually, this made me sad, it was so good. I only ever played Pikmin once, at a friends house. I was utterly addicted, but couldn't get my own copy. I couldn't even find a copy of Pikmin 2. That made me sad.

Gælen_Durrandl
2008-01-13, 12:06 AM
-Music Loving: Pikmin respond well to music and sound, and can take orders via whistle or other sound if the Leader desires. Also, any Bard or Musical effect that would provide the Pikmin with a bonus is +1 more effective.

How much more effective? And what are the traits of the Pikmin onions?

...And thanks for the help on something I've been working on for a while. I'll share when I finish.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-13, 12:19 AM
Why exactly do they have so many hp? From the looks of it they have 1 more than maximum possible. By my calculations they should only have 7 hp.

TheLogman
2008-01-13, 12:30 AM
Gaelen, it says right there, +1 more effective, so if a Bard would give a +2 Morale Bonus, he instead gives a +3 Morale Bonus to the Pikmin. Also, I added the Stats for Onions and Flowers.

Krimm, the first HD for at least PC's is always maximum, I assumed that it was the same for monsters. If it seems that is not the case, please tell me, and I will give them some ability that gives them the max HP for their HD, as I want them to be hardy little buggers.

Krimm_Blackleaf
2008-01-13, 01:23 AM
Gaelen, it says right there, +1 more effective, so if a Bard would give a +2 Morale Bonus, he instead gives a +3 Morale Bonus to the Pikmin. Also, I added the Stats for Onions and Flowers.

Krimm, the first HD for at least PC's is always maximum, I assumed that it was the same for monsters. If it seems that is not the case, please tell me, and I will give them some ability that gives them the max HP for their HD, as I want them to be hardy little buggers.

Yeah, monsters still only get average even if it's 1 HD, but even if you do give them max they still have 1 over maximum possible.

Dumbledore lives
2008-01-13, 01:39 AM
These are pretty awesome, though if you did them to the scale they where in the game, they where about 1 cm tall I think. That would make them too small I guess, ah well. Maybe you could also stat some of the artifacts for the second game, or the rocket ship from the first.

Gælen_Durrandl
2008-01-13, 01:59 AM

Whoops, misread that part. Sweetness.

TheLogman
2008-01-13, 09:45 AM
Fixed the HP thing.

Also, Dumbledore lives, I know that Olimar is about 1 cm, but to stat out them at that size would make them useless to anything bigger than a Housecat. Instead, I made Olimar a medium creature and the Pikmin small creatures, which makes it easier to stat out and use in D&D. Also, I doubt I will stat out the ship since it is nothing more than a simple vehicle. With regards to the Artifacts, most of them are just simple trinkets worth little or no GP, and the others are in the form of Olimar suit upgrades. If your DM decides to add strange alien substances (Like Plastic and Rubber), you can ask him to add them to your suit, which would provide some upgrade.

DracoDei
2008-01-13, 08:18 PM
Given the time-scale of D&D I would slow the development of Seeds from minutes to AT LEAST days and probably months (or even years!)... unless they are supposed to be part of a dungeon puzzle in which case a faster time scale is warrented (although increments of 10 minutes or 1 hour should still be considered).

Note also that with the availability of normal livestock (cows etc) you can end up with a LOT of minions from just one Onion...

TheLogman
2008-01-13, 08:49 PM
I changed it from minutes to days, I didn't think about the exploitation of it. I kind of just assumed that the player could go into a dungeon with 10 or so Pikmin, and could possibly grow a large army after the end of a dungeon, assuming the Pikmin can go back outside regularly, and all the monsters that are fought are organic and have bodies.

Parvum
2008-01-13, 09:34 PM
Praise you.

The DC for white pikmin poison should be dependant on something (constitution, probably) and maybe with a racial bonus. A climb speed probably wouldn't be out of order, either. Also, could you note whether or not Latch lasts for multiple rounds? The wording is just a wee bit confusing.

Finally, can the leader control the Onion? If so, to what extent?

EDIT: What about bulbmin?

KingGolem
2008-01-13, 09:34 PM
Aha! Nicely done, TheLogman. :smallcool:

I think you did a good job statting these guys. However, I did see one minor flaw; though the pikmin('s? What IS the plural of pikmin?) statblock says under organization that they only gather in groups up to one-hundred, it doesn't seem to explicitly say that a leader can only control one-hundred pikmin at a time. Of course, those of us who have actually played this super-addictive game, myself included, know of this already, but someone else might not.

Terror_Incognito
2008-01-13, 11:25 PM
I've only every briefly played the first Pikmin Game so I don't know too much about it.

The Flowers come in the 5 colors of Pikmin, and the Queen Colors.

You mentioned Queen Pikmin but I couldn't see any stats for them.

Parvum
2008-01-13, 11:28 PM
I've only every briefly played the first Pikmin Game so I don't know too much about it.

You mentioned Queen Pikmin but I couldn't see any stats for them.

In the post, Queen Flowers simply produce more vast amounts of pikmin. There are no such thing as Queen Pikmin (though that would be interestin).

Perhaps the number you control could be based on character level? Say, 10/lvl.

Now I want to create a pikmin based class!

Why no skills or feats?

TheLogman
2008-01-14, 06:16 AM
Plant creatures don't get Skills or Feats.

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-14, 06:51 AM
Plant Type (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#plantType).

Yes, they do.

Anything with an Intelligence score gains Feats and Skills.

TheLogman
2008-01-14, 02:07 PM
Sorry about that, I think it's one of dem 3.0/3.5 version differences. I gave them the skills and feats I thought appropriate.

Parvum
2008-01-14, 07:37 PM
If I can suggest an alternate Latch:

When occupying a creature's square, a Pikmin can latch onto that creature with a special grapple check, with which the pikmin receives a +4 bonus. The target creature is denied any size modifier for further grapple checks against the pikmin, and the pikmin receives an additional +1 to the check for every five other pikmin on the opponent. While latched, pikmin receive a +4 competence bonus to slam attacks. If the opponent succeeds in a check to escape the grapple, it may remove an additional pikmin for every five by which it exceeded the check (and all on a 20).

And perhaps the base strength score should be 10. They are small, after all. Also,I believe a charisma of 1 means that you are an inch from a coma and not truly aware that you are an entity. It could stand a boost.

If they receive swarmfighting as a bonus feat (instead of the swarmfighting ability), I'd suggest this addition to Latch: A Latched pikmin does not count towards the square's number of creatures. (use the swarmfighting table to determine maximum pikmin that can latch to one creature).

Finally, downgrade their slam damage to a d4. Say a poor bugger has the maximum nummber of pikmin on him, all latched, and smacking him with a +5 bonus (+9 for red flowers) of 10d6 total using the current build.

TheLogman
2008-01-14, 07:55 PM
If the opponent succeeds in a check to escape the grapple, it may remove an additional pikmin for every five by which it exceeded the check (and all on a 20).

Finally, downgrade their slam damage to a d4. Say a poor bugger has the maximum nummber of pikmin on him, all latched, and smacking him with a +5 bonus (+9 for red flowers) of 10d6 total using the current build.

I agree with the two suggestions above, however, I have a few misgivings about your other suggestions. Firstly, I don't think the Pikmin should have a low strength score, they are remarkably strong, being able to carry over their weight with little or no trouble. As for the Charisma, the 1 seems about right, they don't know how to react to creatures unless told, they are nearly helpless alone, don't even know how to fight without being told, or thrown to the right areas. They are quite stupid and quite lacking in Charisma.

Parvum
2008-01-14, 09:57 PM
As for the Charisma, the 1 seems about right, they don't know how to react to creatures unless told, they are nearly helpless alone, don't even know how to fight without being told, or thrown to the right areas. They are quite stupid and quite lacking in Charisma.

I think that's more intelligence. And they do have a basic understanding... they'll beat on something that seems threatening... just not very effectively. But charisma would be more about personality and ability to socialize (which they seem quite keen on, giving that a lone pikmin is a dead pikmin). But I guess my ulterior motive for upping charisma is the thought of a single charisma point of damage seperating your pikmin from Helplessness. But all monsters should have some weakness.

I think I might beg my DM for some of these (and suddenly find DC 54 traps for my rogue). Are the pikmin public?

TheLogman
2008-01-14, 10:03 PM
Sorry, I misspoke up there. Notice that the Pikmin will only do one of the following when it meets a new creature.

1. Follow (Leader)
2. Kill (Regardless of what it could be)
3. Ignore
4. Eat

In the case of themselves, they work well with creatures of their own species, granted, but outside their own species, their ability to socialize is not much better than a construct, worse even than an animal.

By public, are you asking if they can be used in a person's game? If so, of course, I always post things so that everyone can critique and use them for their own. There wouldn't be much point in posting it if nobody was allowed to use them.

Parvum
2008-01-14, 10:57 PM
Sorry, I misspoke up there. Notice that the Pikmin will only do one of the following when it meets a new creature.

1. Follow (Leader)
2. Kill (Regardless of what it could be)
3. Ignore
4. Eat

"Look, I've got three options. Option one, they don't do a thing and I'm no better no worse. Option two, they declare me their god and follow all of my commands, producing an effective personal army. Now in option three they may be killing and eating me, but damn if they aren't just the cutest little things when they do it! Everybody wins!"

This will be most entertaining.

magic_unlocked
2008-01-16, 03:34 AM
I agree. I like these things already and I haven't played Pikmen. :smalltongue:

Vaynor
2008-01-24, 09:16 PM
I agree with the two suggestions above, however, I have a few misgivings about your other suggestions. Firstly, I don't think the Pikmin should have a low strength score, they are remarkably strong, being able to carry over their weight with little or no trouble. As for the Charisma, the 1 seems about right, they don't know how to react to creatures unless told, they are nearly helpless alone, don't even know how to fight without being told, or thrown to the right areas. They are quite stupid and quite lacking in Charisma.

Not things bigger than them, they just team up to carry them, making a small group able to lift very large things.

Parvum
2008-01-24, 09:45 PM
Not things bigger than them, they just team up to carry them, making a small group able to lift very large things.

Actually, pikmin can carry very large objects solo. About a sphere as large as them, but not of particularly heavy material (the sheargrubs and berries being good examples).

And thank you for reviving the thread. My badger ancestry greatly regretted having to let this one go.

I still feel charisma should be higher. Cha 1 means that you wait for instructions, motionless and emotionless. Pikmin, while idle, stretch, yawn converse with others, and even complain at you about having nothing in particular to do. They're witful enough to realize when they can participate in a task (such as if a group is battling nearby or carrying something past) and they will do so without commands (annoying, yes, but it means that they aren't plant-like constructs).

TheLogman
2008-01-24, 10:32 PM
You know what? I forgot about their little chattering. I think you're right about that, I am going to increase their Charisma to 5.