PDA

View Full Version : Order of the Stick: June I

Pages : 1 2 [3]

silvadel
2005-06-14, 01:06 AM
#500 =)

And I never really thought of good chars/monsters living in a dungeon environment -- I usually had them outside not nestled like the evil monsters do -- in generall good doesnt like dank.

Atlas
2005-06-14, 01:20 AM
This is probably not the right foot on which to begin posting, but while the comic is great, this installment is hilarious and I have high hopes for the future, I cannot but say that I find the roaches cloying.

Paladine
2005-06-14, 03:10 AM
:o
Flying Zombies
my Players will hate you :D
thanks Giant.

Nikolai_II
2005-06-14, 03:12 AM
:o
Flying Zombies
my Players will hate you :D
thanks Giant.

Just make sure to read the rules on zombies and actions - and flying and staying aloft ;)

(But it still is good for a surprising foe ;D)

JD
2005-06-14, 03:27 AM
Celestial/Demon Roach
Fine Outsider (augmented Vermin)
HD: 1/10d8 (1hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30ft. (they can keep up with a human lich)
Armor Class: 19. Touch 19, flatfooted 18.
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: ½ft./0ft.
Special Attacks: Summon Roach
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: ?
Feats: Iron Will
Environment: Near the plot
Organization: Solitary, group (3-5) or army (10-100)
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: Butter from leftover popcorn
Alignment: Chaotic Naughty or Stupid Good
Advancement: As plot device
Level Adjustment: ?

Summon Roach (Plot): The roach may summon another roach once per day as a standard action, provided the DM needs a laugh. The roach summons a creature appropiate to its type (either demonic or celestial), and they may begin jesting at the beginning of their next turn. Unlike most summoning abilities the roaches summoned in this manner retain their power to summon another roach. This power is unavaliable whenever it doesn't fit with the plot.

I had to make it. Only need challenge rating and an LA... please help!

Gez
2005-06-14, 03:32 AM
The zombified half-celestial girl had the same hair stylist Haley has. :)

Paladine
2005-06-14, 05:47 AM
Just make sure to read the rules on zombies and actions - and flying and staying aloft ;)

(But it still is good for a surprising foe ;D)

HASTED flying Zombies
;D

naah the sheer shoking value of Zombies dropping out of the blue sky will be enough

8)

GeeVee
2005-06-14, 05:53 AM
Haste doesn't grant an extra action anymore. It was really overpowered anyway.

Paladine
2005-06-14, 07:19 AM
Haste doesn't grant an extra action anymore. It was really overpowered anyway.

*smacks head*
i cant believe i forgot about that

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=49

Muisje
2005-06-14, 07:29 AM
Xykon’s pose in the first panel is hilarious. :)

Pvednes
2005-06-14, 08:00 AM
Bwahahahahah!

Xykon is a totally awesome villain. That gave me some serious LOLing. The "I've seen the light! *Zaaaap*" look is priceless.

GreyRat
2005-06-14, 08:04 AM
... I cannot but say that I find the roaches cloying.
Well, I think they're only keeping them to give to the next monster they want to put to sleep. I hear smoking a couple roaches makes one quite drowsy.

Ok, there's a new comic up, I'll stop now...

I stayed up until 4:00 am to finish today's comic, #193...and then copied #192 to the server and went to bed.
Hee, hee! I had a bad habit in college of saving documents in progress under slightly different name variations, and then not being able to tell which one was most current (working on different machines screwed up date/time records, too). I was always afraid I'd sent the prof a half-page of outline/sentence fragments by accident.

Aerysil1
2005-06-14, 08:17 AM
[193]*cough* industy, industry *cough*

Vhesper
2005-06-14, 08:22 AM
Since we have the evil party going through a good dungeon, they need a group name.

Order of the Shtick perhaps? ;D

Matt-M-McElroy
2005-06-14, 08:42 AM
I can't wait to see what else they encounter...

Although I'm curious what the OotS is up at the moment as well.

Regards,

Matt M McElroy
"What Are You Afraid Of?"
http://www.flamesrising.com

Starla
2005-06-14, 10:17 AM
Notice: This thread will be closed Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning around when the comic goes up, if it stayed ope it would turn into a behemoth

An excellent idea Lilly. No wonder you're a mod! ;)

Scorpina
2005-06-14, 03:20 PM
What was the girl who became a flying zombie, then?

Couldn't be any kind of celestial, they're outsiders...and outsiders can't become zombies...

Unless we're dealing with a houserule here...

Runolfr
2005-06-14, 03:31 PM
What was the girl who became a flying zombie, then?

According to The Giant, she was a Half-Celestial (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/halfCelestial.htm) Half-Human Fighter. This would make one of her parents a Deva or other good Outsider. It also makes her an Outsider.

The Animate Dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateDead.htm) spell doesn't specify any restriction against animating the corpses of Outsiders. You can't Raise or Resurrect an Outsider, but I know of no reason why you couldn't animate an Outsider's body.

I also note that Xykon always casts Animate Dead without sticking a piece of obsidian in the corpse's mouth; this is obviously a creative license issue (since the obsidian component costs more than 1 gp and is therefore required even if the caster has the Eschew Materials feat).

ObadiahtheSlim
2005-06-14, 03:52 PM
You can raise a native outsider(oxymoron) and half celestials are considered native outsiders.

Gez
2005-06-14, 04:36 PM
You can raise a native outsider(oxymoron) and half celestials are considered native outsiders.

Yes and no (all creatures have the native subtype when on their homeplane, and the extraplanar subtype when they aren't, so an archon is a native outsider while in the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia).

But HCG wasn't raised (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm), she was animated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/animateDead.htm) as a zombie (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/zombie.htm). I'm sure she would have preferred to be raised, though. But she'd rather not have been killed in the first place if she had been given the choice, I think.

As for Xykon eschewing costly material components, it may be because he has some sort of feat or prestige class that lets him do this as a spell-like ability. You'll notice he doesn't use any verbal component either, nor even touch the target. Now, and back when he negotiated with the ogre union delegates (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=37).

Dragon_Rider
2005-06-14, 05:12 PM
I also note that Xykon always casts Animate Dead without sticking a piece of obsidian in the corpse's mouth; this is obviously a creative license issue (since the obsidian component costs more than 1 gp and is therefore required even if the caster has the Eschew Materials feat).

Yes, well Xykon could have epic wizard levels (dare I suggest, sorcerer?) and have the feat "Ignore Materials." That could solve alot of income issues with raising a horde of undead, it also means he has a lot of HD to cotrol undead with.

Psymon
2005-06-14, 06:25 PM
[193]*cough* industy, industry *cough*

Whoops! Ahem Giant! Spelling mistake.

Winged One
2005-06-14, 07:53 PM
Celestial/Demon Roach
Fine Outsider (augmented Vermin)
HD: 1/10d8 (1hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30ft. (they can keep up with a human lich)
Armor Class: 19. Touch 19, flatfooted 18.
Base Attack/Grapple: +1/-3
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: ½ft./0ft.
Special Attacks: Summon Roach
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60ft.
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +4
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 14
Skills: ?
Feats: Iron Will
Environment: Near the plot
Organization: Solitary, group (3-5) or army (10-100)
Challenge Rating: ?
Treasure: Butter from leftover popcorn
Alignment: Chaotic Naughty or Stupid Good
Advancement: As plot device
Level Adjustment: ?

Summon Roach (Plot): The roach may summon another roach once per day as a standard action, provided the DM needs a laugh. The roach summons a creature appropiate to its type (either demonic or celestial), and they may begin jesting at the beginning of their next turn. Unlike most summoning abilities the roaches summoned in this manner retain their power to summon another roach. This power is unavaliable whenever it doesn't fit with the plot.

I had to make it. Only need challenge rating and an LA... please help!
It's LA should be jack-**** and it's challenge rating should be a fraction.

The_Sleeping_Man
2005-06-14, 11:02 PM

It probably is, as I didn't see Vaarsuvius using any components either, or Samantha.

Winged One
2005-06-14, 11:38 PM
Yes, well Xykon could have epic wizard levels (dare I suggest, sorcerer?) and have the feat "Ignore Materials." That could solve alot of income issues with raising a horde of undead, it also means he has a lot of HD to cotrol undead with.
Xykon could be a sorceror/archmage with animate dead as a SLA.

Everybody else could have Eschew Materials(it is a good feat for any caster to have).