PDA

View Full Version : Gitp Pokemon D/P WiFi Gym Leader Challenge! Banning Garchomp Discussion Inside!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pagz
2008-01-13, 08:54 AM
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/Fyreye/OotS/pokeBanner.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69415)

Gym 3 is now open to challengers! Either PM SansFan or post in this thread to issue a challenge!

Gym 6 is now open to challengers! Either PM Ninja Sorcerer or post in this thread to issue a challenge!

Welcome to the Gitp Pokemon D/P WiFi Gym Leader Challenge thread! This thread is where you can test the strength of your pokemon against the might of Gitp's most talented pokemon trainers, the gym leaders!

Requirements: A stable WiFi connection and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl for the DS. PBR would also be awesome, as it looks sweet! *guitar solo*.

The rules are simple: As a challanger, post your team of six pokemon on this thread. Your name and number of badges will be posted on the front page. All battles will be conducted through WiFi at level 100 and as single 6vs6 (WiFi boosts your pokemon to level 100 when the level 100 battle option is chosen).

The following clauses are in action in every official gym leader battle:

Evasion clause (moves that affect evasion such as double team are banned. Items such as brightpowder are allowed).
OHKO Clause (moves which inflict One Hit Knock Out are banned)
Sleep Clause (Only one pokemon is allowed to be inflicted with the sleep status by an opponent at any one time. An example is if you use Spore on an opponents pokemon, you are not allowed to use Spore again until that pokemon is awoken. Unintentional sleeping infliction such as Brelooms Effect Spore does not count).
Species Clause (No two pokemon can be the same).
Uber Clause (The following pokemon are banned:Arceus, Darkrai, Deoxys, Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, Dialga, Giratina, Groudon, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Latias, Latios, Lugia, Manaphy, Mew, Mewtwo, Palkia, Rayquaza, Wobbuffet, Wynaut).
Legendary Limit (Only one legendary pokemon can be used on a team. Gym leaders may have more then one, but can only use one in a battle).

Anybody finding to be breaking these rules will automatically lose the battle.

Gym leader rules: Gym leaders use pokemon from the dual type they selected, however that dual type must already exist on a pokemon (so their is no confusion, you can only choose two types that exist on a pokemon, and you have to have that pokemon on your team. So a bug/fighting gym must have a heracross, and a Ice/Ghost gym must have a froslass. The rest of your party can then be any combination of those two types (gengar, dusknoir, jynx, froslass, Walrein and rotom would be an example of an Ice/ghost gym)) Gym leaders can train 9 pokemon and use whichever 6 they want for a challengers battle, however their dual type must be in every battle (naturally, all gym leaders and challengers must have WiFi to participate...).

When a challanger beats a gym leader, they get a sprite of the gym leaders badge for their signature. When the challenger beats all of the gym leaders, they'll become the Champion of Gitp, them and their pokemon will be recorded forever... on the first post (lol).

When another challenger beats the 8 gym leaders, they can contest for the position of champion, With the winner becoming/staying the champion. Defeated champions cannot reclaim the mantle of champion (we gotta let others have the glory!). Inactive champions however, will lose their mantle. People who have all 8 badges and want to challenge the champion can only battle them once every 3 days (so we don't have spam challenges!). If challengers lose 3 times against the champion, they cannot challenge that champion again, they'll have to wait until someone else usurps their throne!

If their is an amazing influx of people wanting to play, we may create another region (another 8 badges).

This thread will also be a central hub for all things pokemon, such as trading, battles, cards, and roleplaying (or so I hope, roleplaying a gym leaders challenge would be sweet)!

This thread will only be as good as the fellow members of Gitp make it, even if you like the idea, post in this thread! This would be amazingly fun if we can get it off the ground!

Here are the gym leaders, there is no order in which you have to challenge them. Gym leaders can retire from their position at anytime.

The reason why theres no Elite 4: The whole point of the elite 4 was an endurance run where you could not change pokemon and had to rely on yourself. Now, anyone who's played Wifi can see the problem here. Since the rules already state that challengers cannot change teams, and teams are automatically healed every time, it makes an Elite 4 redundant. Gym leader = Elite 4 member in terms of power here. In saying that however, if we get enough interest to create another region (eight more gym leaders) and four gym leaders prove themselves exceptionally skilled when the second region has settled, I might implement an Elite 4, four trainers who you need all 16 badges to battle, before you meet the champion. However, please remember that we don't want more gym leaders then we do challengers, so a second region will only be contemplated when 20 active challengers have registered teams. So how can you help us achieve this goal? blatant advertising of course! Post links to this thread, tell your friends who aren't registered, tell interested people in other forums, we can only make this as good as we put in!

Gym Leaders:

Gym 1.
AlterForm
Ground/Flying
Pokemon: Gliscor, Dugtrio, Skarmory, Steelix, Swampert, Garchomp, Ninjask, Yanmega, Mamoswine.

Gym 2.
Gungnir
Fighting/Psychic
Pokemon:

Gym 3.
SensFan
Ground/Steel
Pokemon: Steelix, Forretress, Gliscor, Skarmory, Jirachi, Bronzong, Garchomp, Hippowdon, Mamoswine.

Gym 4.
Ranis
Ghost/Poison
Pokemon:Spiritomb, Gengar, Dusknoir, Drapion, Venusaur, Tentacruel, Crobat, Nidoking, Drifblim.

Gym 5.
Drascin, "The Laughing Rock"
Steel/Rock
Pokemon:Aggron, Skarmory, Tyranitar, Shuckle, Forretress, Magnezone Metagross, Empoleon, Bastiodon.

Gym 6.
Ninja Sorcerer
Dark/Rock
Pokemon: Tyranitar, Rampardoes, Shuckle, Cradily, Weavile, Drapion, Regirock, Houndoom, Rhyperior.

Gym 7.
onasuma
Bug/Ground
Pokemon: Wormadam, Shuckle, Scizor, Dugtrio, Golem, Marowak, Gliscor, Rhyperior, Fortress.

Gym 8.
DarkLightDragon
Dark/Fire
Pokemon:Houndoom, Arcanine, Umbreon, Absol, Blaziken, Ninetales, Drapion, Charizard, Camerupt.

Challengers will begin to be registered as soon as the first gym leader has their team ready, so when that happens, challengers are encouraged to post their application on this thread. It should include:

Forum name:
In-game name:
Friends code:
Pokemon experience:
Team members:

Challengers will then make arrangements with Gym Leaders for times to battle. You do not have to battle Gym Leaders in any particular order. Gym leaders and the Champion cannot refuse challenges.

POINTS SYSTEM

I've been thinking about a way to make this thread unique and challenging for, well, the challengers! Once a person has beaten the Gym leaders, well, thats pretty much it, time to fight the Champion for glory! But wouldn't that mean at some point the only battles happening on this thread are fights for Championship? That would become dull and stale and the Champion certainly doesn't have all the time in the world to continually be fighting challengers! So, I thought of this points system. I haven't put hours of thought into this (more spur of the moment) so any flaws in it must be nitpicked ruthlessly.

The idea is as follows:

You start off with 0 points.
Every time you obtain a badge, you receive 100 points.
Every time you fight another challenger and win, you receive 50 points.
Every time you fight another challenger and lose, you forfeit 50 points.
If your team consists of only pokemon in the list below (UU standard), you receive x4 points when you win against challengers and gym leaders.
You cannot have negative points.
If you win 3 battles in a row, you receive 100 bonus points (400 bonus for only using pokemon on the list below).
If you lose against the Champion, you lose 100 points.
The Champion cannot receive or lose points.
You can only battle the Champion if you have more points then he/she does.

The list of pokemon
Aggron
Altaria
Ampharos
Banette
Blastoise
Butterfree
Cacturne
Camerupt
Charmeleon
Chatot
Cloyster
Crawdaunt
Dodrio
Drifblim
Dunsparce
Electrode
Exploud
Fearow
Froslass
Gastrodon
Glaceon
Golduck
Golem
Gorebyss
Granbull
Grumpig
Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Hitmontop
Huntail
Hypno
Kabutops
Kangaskhan
Kecleon
Kingler
Lanturn
Linoone
Lopunny
Lunatone
Luxray
Manectric
Meganium
Mr. Mime
Muk
Nidoking
Nidoqueen
Ninetales
Octillery
Omastar
Persian
Phione
Pidgeot
Politoed
Primeape
Probopass
Purugly
Quagsire
Qwilfish
Raichu
Rapidash
Raticate
Regigias
Rotom
Sableye
Sandslash
Seviper
Sharpedo
Shiftry
Shuckle
Solrock
Stantler
Stuntank
Sudowoodo
Tentacruel
Torkoal
Toxicroak
Trapinch
Venomoth
Vespiquen
Victreebel
Vileplume
Wailord
Wormadam
Xatu
Arbok
Ariados
Bastiodon
Beautifly
Beedrill
Bellossom
Bibarel
Carnivine
Castform
Cherrim
Chimecho
Corsola
Delcatty
Delibird
Dewgong
Ditto
Dustox
Farfetch'd
Flareon
Furret
Girafarig
Glalie
Illumise
Kricketune
Ledian
Lumineon
Luvdisc
Magcargo
Mantine
Masquerain
Mawile
Mightyena
Minun
Mothim
Noctowl
Pachirisu
Parasect
Pelipper
Plusle
Seaking
Shedinja
Spinda
Sunflora
Swalot
Tropius
Unown
Volbeat
Whiscash
WigglytuffThis basically means, if you want to become the champion, it is in your best interests to fight as many opponents as you can! The champion will then not be challenged by everyone who has ever gotten 8 badges, his challengers will actually be a challenge! I think this will help keep the thread alive and kicking, as well as points being given out to helpful people and winners of tournaments (How many you ask? We'll have to see!).

Feedback on this implementation of points would be great!

Gaelbert
2008-01-13, 01:49 PM
This looks interesting, I don't quite know if you'll be able to find enough people. And unfortunately, my DS is missing as of the moment. When I get ahold of it, I may participate.

Korias
2008-01-13, 02:05 PM
I'm in. I'd go with something along the lines of Dragon/Psychic, Ghost Psychic, or such. I'll have to check what I have and figure out what'd be a solid 9 Pokemon lineup.

Gungnir
2008-01-13, 02:31 PM
Oh, oh, oh, dibs on Psychic/Fighting! Emphasis on the fighting. Gallade is my homeboy.

Edit: Pikachu should be allowed as a starter, you could get him in Yellow.

Dihan
2008-01-13, 02:56 PM
Sounds fun, consider me in... Aslong as my USB Connector decides to work. I'll have to check what I can use though.

Pagz
2008-01-13, 07:51 PM
I'm in. I'd go with something along the lines of Dragon/Psychic, Ghost Psychic, or such. I'll have to check what I have and figure out what'd be a solid 9 Pokemon lineup.Umm... the type already has to exist on a pokemon, meaning Ghost Psychic is impossible, and Dragon/Psychic doesn't exist outside Ubers, which aren't allowed.
Oh, oh, oh, dibs on Psychic/Fighting! Emphasis on the fighting. Gallade is my homeboy.

Edit: Pikachu should be allowed as a starter, you could get him in Yellow.Yeah, but he's Reds starter, not the protagonists, meaning not everyone in the game world could get a Pikachu.

Hopefully his kicks off, after a week we'll see (maybe 10 people interested?).

Skippy
2008-01-13, 09:12 PM
Dibs on the water type!! I'll decide on the other type later.

Dorizzit
2008-01-13, 09:19 PM
Tentatively posting interest. This seems like a very cool idea, but I'm just plain not very good at the game.

Pagz
2008-01-14, 12:04 AM
Tentatively posting interest. This seems like a very cool idea, but I'm just plain not very good at the game.That doesn't matter, I'm sure some of the more pokemon experienced members would gladly help with tips/guidance to any new trainers to the battle scene! It doesn't matter what your skill level, if your interested in battling and gaining knowledge post your intrest! Even after a few battles with human opponents, you will get much better, trust me :smallbiggrin:.

Mr.Moron
2008-01-14, 12:16 AM
I'd consider doing perhaps, Dragon/Ground. Depending on how long we have to train up before this happens.

Pagz
2008-01-14, 12:52 AM
I'd consider doing perhaps, Dragon/Ground. Depending on how long we have to train up before this happens.There will be a vote between gym leaders to how long they want to train. I can't imagine needing longer then two weeks though, depending on how good you want IV's I guess.

As long as the gym leaders are committed, time really isn't an issue.

obvious pun
2008-01-14, 01:23 AM
Hm? What's this? A poke'mon thread? Oh joyous day! I can now fight and trade over the internet with other peoples!

Anyway, while I may not be looking to be gym leader, you can bet I'll be a challenger! Who wants to be a specialized in one type gym leader when you can have the perfect multi-type team, along with the chance to become champ!

Also, if we're all going to be challenging each other over the internet, should we not all be placing our friend codes, so that we may also trade and fight?

TheBoneSplitter
2008-01-14, 01:41 AM
About time some re-interest in 4th Gen Pokemon has shown up... I finally got myself a copy of Diamond.

Team as of Monday, Jan 14th:

Staravia LV 28
Prinplup LV 26
Golbat LV 23
Chatot (Charap) LV 16 (Traded in-game with "Norton")
Budew LV 14 (HM Slave #1)
Geodude LV 11 (HM Slave #2)

FC: 2535-2606-1865

Though since I've only got two badges (Don't know where the hell to go next), I'm basically stuck and going all around town on bike... currently in a very rainy area. I think I've overtreaded WAY TOO FAR.

As for the contest... don't think I'd be able to set it up since I'm wanting to beat the game more than participate and get an "edge".

Dorizzit
2008-01-14, 06:31 AM
That doesn't matter, I'm sure some of the more pokemon experienced members would gladly help with tips/guidance to any new trainers to the battle scene! It doesn't matter what your skill level, if your interested in battling and gaining knowledge post your intrest! Even after a few battles with human opponents, you will get much better, trust me :smallbiggrin:.

Alright then. I guess I'll participate. Definitely as a challenger though...I've caught only 18 pokemon due to my...unique playing style. BTW, does anyone have any tips on how to make grinding go faster? I beat the last gym and now I need to take my party from mid to low forties up to...I think seventies or eighties?

Korias
2008-01-14, 07:17 AM
Umm... the type already has to exist on a pokemon, meaning Ghost Psychic is impossible, and Dragon/Psychic doesn't exist outside Ubers, which aren't allowed.Yeah, but he's Reds starter, not the protagonists, meaning not everyone in the game world could get a Pikachu.

Hopefully his kicks off, after a week we'll see (maybe 10 people interested?).

True, but then again, my lineups now consist of almost exclusively ubers and starters.

I'll be going through my boxes to formulate a good lineup.

I have a lot of pokemon to sort...

Actualy, I think I have a combonation, but it requires me to obtain a few pokemon that I dont yet have. Mainly, an Arcanite and some other Fire-Pokemon.

Alright then. I guess I'll participate. Definitely as a challenger though...I've caught only 18 pokemon due to my...unique playing style. BTW, does anyone have any tips on how to make grinding go faster? I beat the last gym and now I need to take my party from mid to low forties up to...I think seventies or eighties?

Defeat high level creatures. The Higher the level, the more EXP. Also, the most your ever going to need for the main story gyms is 55.

Dorizzit
2008-01-14, 07:21 AM
I'm trying to take on the Elite four.

Dihan
2008-01-14, 09:21 AM
If I was a Gym Leader I'd go for Electric/Water.

Gungnir
2008-01-14, 09:48 AM
I finished making my badge! :smallamused:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8259/badgedg0.png
Here's the list of Pokeymans I'm looking at:
Gallade (Trademark)
Hitmonchan
Breloom
Heracross
Metagross
Blaziken
Alakazam
Staraptor
Scizor

I know Scyther and Staraptor aren't Psychic or Fighting, but Gym leaders do occasionally stray from their chosen types a little. Staraptor has Close Combat, and Scizor, well, Scizor is just plain awesome, and I wants him. Now that I'm looking at the list, though, I've already got three things that are weak to fire, so I guess something with x4 weakness to it wouldn't help much.

Drascin
2008-01-14, 10:05 AM
Even though being a Challenger looks more fun, I would probably be willing to become a Gym Leader myself if needed. I would have wanted to have Psychic/Fighting, but that's already taken, so... I guess I could do Steel/Rock (I'd prefer Steel/Ground, to put my little hippo to use, but apparently that doesn't exist) or Steel/Psychic, of which I seem to have quite a lot of trained pokémon. Why is Dark always paired with such pathetic second typings? I wanna use my Weavile :smallmad:. Though... Dark/Rock could have potential, yessss...

It's not like I am an expert or anything, but I think I'm half-competent. Which is the point of Gym Leaders, after all: not having a chance, but looking like you're giving the aspirant a hard time! :smalltongue:

Anyway, I'll probably have to ask for a badge, since my image-editting skills are... subpar. And a tentative lineup would be:

Aggron (Main)
Skarmory
Tyranitar
Shuckle
Forretress
Magnezone
Metagross
Empoleon
Bastiodon

This is of course subject to changes, since I have a lot other ideas... such as that a Trick-rooming Lunatone would fit right in in that team of slowpokes... :smalltongue:

And yes, I'm not using Rhyperior and its ilk (in fact, the only quasi-legend I am using is Tyranitar, and that mainly because I love it to bits). It's a conscious choice. We want this to be quite winnable, so a bit of restraint might be in order

Gungnir
2008-01-14, 10:50 AM
Oh, crap. What level should our guys be at? Out of the current candidates I have for my team, their levels range from 30-100, Gallade being the only one at 100. Or does the game lower your level for matches like the battle tower?

Drascin
2008-01-14, 11:01 AM
...I hope it does re-work levels, because half that lineup I already have at 100 and I'm not retraining them.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-14, 11:04 AM
I want to be a Normal/Psychic eliite four member. :smallbiggrin:

Also, you can set match levels to 50- any pokemon above 50 gets beat with the nerf bat until they are 50. Any under 50... remains under 50.

Drascin
2008-01-14, 11:20 AM
I want to be a Normal/Psychic eliite four member. :smallbiggrin:

Also, you can set match levels to 50- any pokemon above 50 gets beat with the nerf bat until they are 50. Any under 50... remains under 50.

All's good with the world, then.

And does a Normal/Psychic type pokémon exist? I was not aware... waaait a tic. You're taking a freaking Girafarig as your ensemble? You're a braver man than I am, Mojo.

onasuma
2008-01-14, 03:48 PM
I may well be interessted, if not as a gym leader, then as a challenger. Id actually have to train a starter though. That goes against all by beliefs

Edit:

Does that work over wifi. Not using it much, i wouldnt know, but i think a 50 cap is silly.

Edit 2: Oh and if i get gym leader, dibs rock/bug

Pagz
2008-01-14, 09:27 PM
Also, if we're all going to be challenging each other over the internet, should we not all be placing our friend codes, so that we may also trade and fight?friends codes would be handy, putting them into your signatures maybe?
I'm trying to take on the Elite four.I did it with mid-50 pokemon, and a lot of Energy Roots :D, you only really need them at that level. If you can get your hands on a "Lucky Egg", that doubles the experience of the pokemon holding it earned in battle.
If I was a Gym Leader I'd go for Electric/Water.You should go for it! If you want to go for a gym leader spot, but are afraid your too inexperienced, do not worry! We're all here to help you become better battlers, so take a spot before its too late.
I finished making my badge! :smallamused:
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8259/badgedg0.png
I know Scyther and Staraptor aren't Psychic or Fighting, but Gym leaders do occasionally stray from their chosen types a little. Staraptor has Close Combat, and Scizor, well, Scizor is just plain awesome, and I wants him. Now that I'm looking at the list, though, I've already got three things that are weak to fire, so I guess something with x4 weakness to it wouldn't help much.Awesome badge! However I'm sorry, even though Scizor and Staraptor are in the flavor of your gym, they are not fighting or psychic, sorry. The whole point of only having two types is to create a fully functional team using only those types, fleshing out and creating unique pokemon, its all apart of the challange!
I could do Steel/Rock (I'd prefer Steel/Ground, to put my little hippo to use, but apparently that doesn't exist) or Steel/Psychic, of which I seem to have quite a lot of trained pokémon. Why is Dark always paired with such pathetic second typings? I wanna use my Weavile :smallmad:. Though... Dark/Rock could have potential, yessss...

It's not like I am an expert or anything, but I think I'm half-competent. Which is the point of Gym Leaders, after all: not having a chance, but looking like you're giving the aspirant a hard time! :smalltongue:

Why doesnt hippo exist? Steelix as your Steel/Ground pokemon, but then you wouldn't be able to use Tyranitar... unless you went rock/ground.

you don't have to be an expert, I know I'm not, its all about having fun (and learning)! And m9 while maybe not too much restraint, thats why gym leaders can choose nine while challengers have to use the same 6, so gym leaders can give them a challange.
I may well be interessted, if not as a gym leader, then as a challenger. Id actually have to train a starter though. That goes against all by beliefs

Edit:

Does that work over wifi. Not using it much, i wouldnt know, but i think a 50 cap is silly.

Edit 2: Oh and if i get gym leader, dibs rock/bugWiFi boosts your pokemon to level 100 for the battle, so theres no real need to worry :smallbiggrin:, and you may as well take a gym leader position!
All's good with the world, then.

And does a Normal/Psychic type pokémon exist? I was not aware... waaait a tic. You're taking a freaking Girafarig as your ensemble? You're a braver man than I am, Mojo.Actually, Normal/Psychic would be pretty hardcore... Staraptor, Blissy, Slowbro, Metagross, Porygon-Z, Girafarig would make a pretty good team.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-14, 09:58 PM
I'm so interested in this! Definetly gym leader, thinking of definetly fir-wait it's diamond, not blue. Um...now it's much harder. Maybe dark/psychic? I guess I'd use...is it Misdreavus? If not I'm thinking fire/something else. My ds isn't with me at the moment so I'd need a few days to get it.

Any preferences?

Twin2
2008-01-14, 09:59 PM
Any reason for automatically needing a starter? It's not like they could be switched out for others during the game, and it just seems like an unneeded limit placed upon anyone who wants to challenge.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-14, 10:19 PM
Not Misdrevous or however you spell it, my gym would be dark/ghost. Does that mean that I can have my main pokemon (which will be spiritomb), and then any pokemon that has either dark or ghost in it? (like the don't all have to be dakr/ghost do they? because I'll pick a different type then)

Gungnir
2008-01-14, 10:26 PM
Awesome badge! However I'm sorry, even though Scizor and Staraptor are in the flavor of your gym, they are not fighting or psychic, sorry. The whole point of only having two types is to create a fully functional team using only those types, fleshing out and creating unique pokemon, its all apart of the challange!

Daww. Oh well. Plenty of cool things to choose from. Besides, it's not like anyone is going to make it past my Gallade anyway. He just annihilates the Tower.

I wish I could get Rotom on the same team as Gallade. I love using trick to give things Fire Orbs. Not only does it hurt them, but it drops their attack by half, and helps cover for it's horrible Defense. If you can take the Burn, you can even take it back and give it to something else.

Not Misdrevous or however you spell it, my gym would be dark/ghost. Does that mean that I can have my main pokemon (which will be spiritomb), and then any pokemon that has either dark or ghost in it? (like the don't all have to be dakr/ghost do they? because I'll pick a different type then)
Only other Dark/Ghost is Sableye. But not all of your guys have to share both types, they only need one of them. Otherwise, it'd be pretty hard to make a good team.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-14, 10:52 PM
Alright my gym is definetly dark/ghost. Here's what I plan for my nine Pokemon:

Spiritomb
Umbreon
Absol
Weavile
Drapion
Houndoom
Banette
Mismagius
Dusknoir
Sableye (would replace Umbreon depending on whether or not I can get sapphire and so catch a sableye)

I'll need about a week or two to catch and train these, as I just started over and am only about halfway through the game.

Pagz
2008-01-14, 11:06 PM
Main post is updated, all the gyms are full! I do need, however, all gym leaders on that list to confirm that they are willing to accept the position. Also, unwarned inactivity of two weeks will lose you the spot.

Lets make this thread great!

GryffonDurime
2008-01-14, 11:13 PM
Strange enough combination, but perhaps Ice/Grass as a gym leader? A tentative line-up would include:

Abomasnow (Obviously, the only Ice/Grass type)
Walerin
Frosslass
Grovlye
Roserade
Ludicolo
Weavile
Mamoswine
Cradily?

Kind of a Spring/Winter theme. They're my two favorite types, so...

Edit: Crap. I missed the cut off, then?:smallfrown:
Or maybe I'll go masochist and try a Bug/Flying theme...truly a swarm of mediocrity.

Pagz
2008-01-14, 11:17 PM
Strange enough combination, but perhaps Ice/Grass as a gym leader? A tentative line-up would include:

Abomasnow (Obviously, the only Ice/Grass type)
Walerin
Frosslass
Grovlye
Roserade
Ludicolo
Weavile
Mamoswine
Cradily?

Kind of a Spring/Winter theme. They're my two favorite types, so...

Edit: Crap. I missed the cut off, then?:smallfrown:
Or maybe I'll go masochist and try a Bug/Flying theme...truly a swarm of mediocrity.I wouldn't give up just yet, someone may drop out/not reply within 4 days, if that happens, you'll be the first in line!

Quxelopqr
2008-01-14, 11:34 PM
I accept my position gladly, thanks, but I need a little time to get my ds and catch some of those pokemon. Where we getting everything to level 50? And how exactly do I get my ds to use wifi? Do I use a usb port to connect my ds to the modem or what?

Gungnir
2008-01-14, 11:39 PM
I accept my position gladly, thanks, but I need a little time to get my ds and catch some of those pokemon. Where we getting everything to level 50? And how exactly do I get my ds to use wifi? Do I use a usb port to connect my ds to the modem or what?

You need either a wireless router that is Nintendo compatible, or a WiFi USB connector, which costs about 20 bucks.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-14, 11:56 PM
Alright thanks a lot, I'll try to get one of those tomorrow. Levels are 50?

Pagz
2008-01-15, 12:14 AM
Levels are 50?Any level, as WiFi boosts pokemon to level 100.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-15, 12:19 AM
So I should try to get mine as high as possible to get the required moves I like. Thanks for the advice and I hope that helps anyone else. One I figure out my friend code I'll post it.

Drascin
2008-01-15, 01:14 AM
Why doesnt hippo exist? Steelix as your Steel/Ground pokemon, but then you wouldn't be able to use Tyranitar... unless you went rock/ground.

Hippo does exist (I meant Hippowdon - that guy's awesome) but... oh, crap. I was, for some reason, convinced Steelix was Steel/Rock, and he's the only Steel/Ground in existence, so you can see what I meant. Ah, whatever. This typing also has an interesting potential... I'll try it. 'Sides, it gives me a reason to try training a Bastiodon and a Magnezone, which I have been wanting to try for some time.

Actually, Normal/Psychic would be pretty hardcore... Staraptor, Blissy, Slowbro, Metagross, Porygon-Z, Girafarig would make a pretty good team.

Oh. I know, there's some interesting guys in those types... it's just that, well, as an ensemble, I get an Aggron, others get Gallade, Spiritomb, or Garchomp... and the guy's stuck with a Girafarig. It's ironic that the ensemble is the least useful pokemon in the team, no? :smallwink:

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 09:04 AM
Sweet, although I was gunning for Elite 4 position, regular Gym Leader is great too, so I accept. But if you open up an E4 subgroup, I'd love to give it a shot (and thus free up my space for someone who wants to be a regular Gym Leader)... But I'm going to have to actually train up my pokemon team. Not sure what I'll be using yet, but I'll be sure to post them up when I've decided what to use.

However, I will assure you I won't be using Metagross. It's ugly, and Uber, and I don't like it. :P

Edit: Can I use dual-element pokemon with types outside my Normal/Psychic limit, such as Bibarrel, the Normal/Water Pokemon?

Drascin
2008-01-15, 09:32 AM
However, I will assure you I won't be using Metagross. It's ugly, and Uber, and I don't like it. :P

Oh? Is Metagross Uber? Well, damn. I'll have to change it then, given one of the rules is "no Ubers".

Edit: Can I use dual-element pokemon with types outside my Normal/Psychic limit, such as Bibarrel, the Normal/Water Pokemon?

Yep. That is kinda the point. For example, I am Steel/Rock, and I'll play Skarmory (Steel/Flying) and probably Lunatone (Rock/Psychic).

Oh, and as an aside, if you actually use a Bibarel I will personally go and blow up your Gym with high explosives. That thing has to be the ugliest and most annoying pokémon in the face of the world :smallyuk: .

(:smallwink:)

Pagz
2008-01-15, 09:50 AM
Oh? Is Metagross Uber? Well, damn. I'll have to change it then, given one of the rules is "no Ubers".

Yep. That is kinda the point. For example, I am Steel/Rock, and I'll play Skarmory (Steel/Flying) and probably Lunatone (Rock/Psychic).

Oh, and as an aside, if you actually use a Bibarel I will personally go and blow up your Gym with high explosives. That thing has to be the ugliest and most annoying pokémon in the face of the world :smallyuk: .

(:smallwink:)Metagross is not uber. He just chose bad wording.

Yes, you can choose dual types outside your dual type if one of the pokemons types is one of the original types you chose (so you would be allowed to use Bibarel.

As much as I too think the beaver should be thrown into the sun, it is interesting with its ability simple and its learning of the move super fang. It'll be very interesting to see how your team turns out Mojotech!

As far as an Elite 4 goes, it seems kinda redundent, as the whole point of the elite 4 was that they were an endurance run, which is kinda hard with how WiFi works and timezones. However, in saying that, if this thread becomes insanely popular and 4 gym leaders/challanger show themselves exceptionally competent, I may introduce an elite 4.

Just so their is no confusion, these are the pokemon not allowed in the gym leaders challenge, there is also a limit of one legendary pokemon per team:
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

Dihan
2008-01-15, 09:52 AM
My team if I could be a gym leader would probably be Water/Electric.

Lantern
Raichu
Swampert
Ludicolo
Magnezone
Floatzel.

Of course, I'll have to train a few up before I can do anything.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 10:03 AM
As much as I too think the beaver should be thrown into the sun, it is interesting with its ability simple and its learning of the move super fang. It'll be very interesting to see how your team turns out Mojotech!

Just so their is no confusion, these are the pokemon not allowed in the gym leaders challenge, there is also a limit of one legendary pokemon per team:

Oh alright. I suppose "Overpowered" would be a better term. I mostly want to make a team nobody's going to expect. :smallbiggrin:

Also. Isn't that pretty much all the legendary pokemon in the "Uber" list? So banning all, and then allowing one "Legendary" pokemon is confusing. Is Uber and Legendary a different list? Which pokemon are Legendary but not Uber? I'm slightly confused!:smalleek:

onasuma
2008-01-15, 10:19 AM
Team (subject to change):
Shuckle
Fortress
scizor
Golem
Heracross
magcargo
tyranitar
Ryhpherior
Areodactyl

Edit: Mojo, the 3 original birds arent for a start. Cant think of more off the top of my head, but there are more.

Drascin
2008-01-15, 01:43 PM
Oh alright. I suppose "Overpowered" would be a better term. I mostly want to make a team nobody's going to expect. :smallbiggrin:

Also. Isn't that pretty much all the legendary pokemon in the "Uber" list? So banning all, and then allowing one "Legendary" pokemon is confusing. Is Uber and Legendary a different list? Which pokemon are Legendary but not Uber? I'm slightly confused!:smalleek:

All of the Trios (Articuno-Zapdos-Moltres, Suicune-Raikou-Entei, etc), for example. And Heathran. And Celebi. And Jirachi. There's plenty of non-uber legends going by that list.

It's a pity I don't have a Jirachi, now that I mention it... I love the little guy (watch the sixth movie and then try to tell me that thing is not the most adorable creature to ever be drawn. Come on, I'll wait), and it's even the right type for the team. Yes, he's technically a bit suboptimal, but who cares? Since I want a Jirachi plushie but can't get it, I'd settle for pounding challengers into the ground with him! :smallamused:

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 02:10 PM
Drascin, I have the Pokemon COlloseum Jirachi Bonus CD. I think I can get infinite Jirachis with that, I just have to import them from Sapphire. You want one? I'll give it ti you relatively free of charge because you're a fellow gym leader. :smallbiggrin:

Drascin
2008-01-15, 02:18 PM
Drascin, I have the Pokemon COlloseum Jirachi Bonus CD. I think I can get infinite Jirachis with that, I just have to import them from Sapphire. You want one? I'll give it ti you relatively free of charge because you're a fellow gym leader. :smallbiggrin:

Before I start jumping around in glee and screaming like a happy schoolgirl, my sense of pragmatism requests that I ask: just how much free of charge does that "relatively" mean? :smalltongue:

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 03:00 PM
Well, I'm a total berry fanatic, and want to collect at least one of each so I can grow lots of them and make tons of Pofins and such, so I'd trade it for one of any berry I don't already have...
If that doesn't work, have any of these 9 pokemon by any chance?

Girafarig
Smeargle
Kanghaskhan
Gardevoir
Swellow
Miltank

Blissey
Slowbro
Alakazam

Edit- Just so ya know, I really wanted to include a Breloom in this set, but couldn't. Maybe I should have signed up for the Grass/Fighting Gym spot... In fact, I'm half tempted to switch. Here's what my roster would be-

Breloom
Tangrowth
Infernape
Machamp
Lucario
Heracross

Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
Ludiculo

Drascin
2008-01-15, 03:30 PM
Well, I'm a total berry fanatic, and want to collect at least one of each so I can grow lots of them and make tons of Pofins and such, so I'd trade it for one of any berry I don't already have...
If that doesn't work, have any of these 9 pokemon by any chance?

Girafarig
Smeargle
Kanghaskhan
Gardevoir
Swellow
Miltank

Blissey
Slowbro
Alakazam

Innteresting... so, if I mentioned I can give you my old lvl 67 Alakazam, (Attacks: Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball and Recover, though sadly it's not EV trained) and even equipped with an Enigma Berry if you give me time to grow a few (since I just got it too), would you be willing to do that trade? :smallamused:

If not... well, I guess I'd have to play it strong, and offer to clone the pride and joy of my team: Garde, a fully EV-trained (252 Speed, 252 Sp Atk, 4 HP) lvl 100 Timid Gardevoir carrying Thunderbolt, Psychic, Focus Blast and Energy Ball (probably equipped with that same Enigma Berry if, again, you give me time to grow it). Yes, Gardevoir is probably my favorite pokémon, so I trained her with much more care I give others. Does it show? :smallwink:

I'd even add a Girafarig for free, I think I have one and it's not like they're slow to breed.

So, how's it?

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 03:34 PM
Heh, just the berry is fine, those movesets aren't what I'm looking for anyway. ;) Stick it on any old Girafarig and send it over. An Enigma Berry would be schweeeeet. :smallbiggrin:

Drascin
2008-01-15, 03:47 PM
Alright then. Give me some time to grow the berries (I think it's one of the slowest berries to grow, so I don't know just how long it will be) and I'll trade. So don't fret it, you have more than enough time to import it without any haste. It'd be preferable that he had a personality that doesn't lower his sp. attack, if you happen to have the chance to choose (I don't really know how that bonus disc thingy works - my Colosseum copy had nothing of the sort) - he's going to be flinging bolts arounds between wish and wish! :smallwink:

Though now I have to wonder, what movesets did you want for an alakazam and a Gardevoir then (first, because I am curious, and second, because recovering moves is dead easy - I have like what, forty Heart Scales?)? Alakazam especially doesn't really seem that much suited for anything other than sweeping and such other stuff that implies getting rid of the enemy before they can land a hit, given that wonderful defense of his :smalltongue:.

obvious pun
2008-01-15, 03:47 PM
Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

Nooo! My Mew is on the list!

Drascin, I have the Pokemon COlloseum Jirachi Bonus CD. I think I can get infinite Jirachis with that, I just have to import them from Sapphire. You want one? I'll give it to you relatively free of charge because you're a fellow gym leader. :smallbiggrin:

I'll trade you a docile nature Mew(lvl10) for a non-stat-affecting-nature Jirachi.

In case you were about to ask, don't worry, they're not game sharked, but if you have anything against emerald clones, which ya shouldn't, I can think of other things to trade, like Smeargle and Kanghaskhan, and the others you listed.

Did I mention I have a bunch of emerald cloned Mew? I can't make any more though, since the emerald version I used was one I borrowed, and is now returned. I have 20, I think. Any legends I can't get, I'd like, like one of those Jirachi.

And as for my line-up as a challenger, the first mon has been decided! Blaziken, my favorite pokemon! So my current team...

Blaziken
???
???
???
???
???

I'm training (er, daycare-ing) the rest of my team, and soon they shall be nigh-unstoppable! If only I could use my Mew:smallfrown:

And that's all I have to say currently, back to walking another million something steps:smallbiggrin:

Edit: I've been ninja'd!

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 03:49 PM
That's a secret. Can't give away my movesets now, can I? :smallbiggrin:

Also, I just realized I don't know where my Jirachi bonus CDlet is. My little brother had it last, and he takes such wonderful care of his things.... And even more so with others. :smalleek: This might take a few days...

Edit- Okay, good news is I still have a Jirachi on my Sapphire game. Bad news is don't think I'll be able to get anymore of them... And it's already level 47. It has a Quiet nature, if you're interested.

Drascin
2008-01-15, 04:08 PM
That's a secret. Can't give away my movesets now, can I? :smallbiggrin:

Also, I just realized I don't know where my Jirachi bonus CDlet is. My little brother had it last, and he takes such wonderful care of his things.... And even more so with others. :smalleek: This might take a few days...

Edit- Okay, good news is I still have a Jirachi on my Sapphire game. Bad news is don't think I'll be able to get anymore of them... And it's already level 47. It has a Quiet nature, if you're interested.

Heh. Given I'm not the one who is going to challenge you, I don't see why not. But as you wish :smalltongue: .

The level is not really that important, as long as it's reasonably low - a good dose of EV-reducing berries will be enough to make him into a clean slate again and start working. Nature quiet... what did that do... I think it was +Sp Atk -Spd, IIRC. Well, it's not abolutely optimal (I had trust Jirachi to be the one attacking first among that team of slowpokes), but it can certainly be used. It's not like he's Adamant or anything :smallwink:. So yes, I would certainly be interested.

Though, if Jirachi is slow too, I guess I can... *starts making plans for trick-rooming the hell out of his team*

TheOtherMC
2008-01-15, 05:00 PM
...why is Wobuffet banned? I know of the Wobuffet loop thing but.....besides that hes really not that great, though i do love the little HP tank!

Pagz
2008-01-15, 05:41 PM
My team of Water/Electric

Lantern
Raichu
Swampert
Ludicolo
Magnezone
Floatzel.

Of course, I'll have to get training before I can do anything.You don't have to have dual types, since your not a gym leader. If you want I can put you on the waiting list. I still need confirmation from Korias, radikalskippy and Mr.Moron IIRC.
Girafarig
Smeargle
Kanghaskhan
Gardevoir
Swellow
Miltank

Blissey
Slowbro
AlakazamThats a pretty risky list, I like it :smallbiggrin:. However I suggest slipping in a Bronzong, as you really don't have anything that can take repeated physical hits, and I can see if an opponent uses Garchomp he will mow you down if Alakazam doesn't have Hidden Power (Ice). I dislike Garchomp...

A Kanghaskhan set I was thinking about a few days ago was:

Kanghaskhan @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature, EVs: 252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Spd, Early Bird Ability
Moveset:
Outrage
Fire punch
Rest
Sleeptalk

Only Heatran resists this set (you wouldn't want Kanghaskhan out on heatran anyway). The only problem is I don't know if the damage output would be very good... It's a very experimental set (although 1 turn rests are pretty awesome).

I'll trade you a docile nature Mew(lvl10) for a non-stat-affecting-nature Jirachi.Blasphemy!
...why is Wobuffet banned? I know of the Wobuffet loop thing but.....besides that hes really not that great, though i do love the little HP tank!Wobuffet + Wish user = gg. He's way too good, try using one one day and you'll see why :smallwink:.

Jirachi is great, mainly because its the only wish user I really like, you'll be seeing him quite a bit on my team! My teams not exactly the best, but'll be fun battling everyone!
Though, if Jirachi is slow too, I guess I can... *starts making plans for trick-rooming the hell out of his team*Even with negative nature, base 100 speed is still a little too fast ^^, you can always try.
Breloom
Tangrowth
Infernape
Machamp
Lucario
Heracross

Hitmonchan
Hitmonlee
LudiculoThis team seems pretty boring, Normal/Psychic is clearly much more awesome.

Shovah
2008-01-15, 06:46 PM
I'd be interested in challenging some time, assuming I can get a USB WiFi thing. I'd also want a bit of time to atleast partially EV train my(poor) pokemon up to a reasonable power level(say, over 9000?).

Quxelopqr
2008-01-15, 08:10 PM
Whats EV training, and as a gym leader, should I be doing it? I don't believe I've ever heard of it.

Gungnir
2008-01-15, 09:00 PM
I have a confession to make. I am a dirty cheater. Many of my Pokeymans were born from the firey pits of an Action Replay. Many are shiny, most were caught in the desert on Rt 228. Some even have maxed DVs. Others have moves that can only be bred, yet they were caught wild.

I pray for forgiveness, and would like to note that I created nothing that was normally impossible, just highly improbable. I basically took down the amount of time spent obtaining them by an order of magnitude.

Also, even if you guys want me to scrap the ones I currently have, I WILL NOT GET RID OF MY GALLADE. That is all.

Whats EV training, and as a gym leader, should I be doing it? I don't believe I've ever heard of it.

EVs are Effort Values, and they're like invisible experience for stats. There's a good explanation on Psypokes. Basically, each pokeyman adds a certain value to whoever killed it's stats (generally 1-3 in one stat). So, say if you beat down like 80 staraptors with one of your dudes, they'd end up a lot faster than something that beat down 80 golems, but the latter would have higher defense.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-15, 09:37 PM
Well I don't think I can get my whole team to 100 that fast, so I don't think it matters too much does it?

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-15, 09:44 PM
Well Gungnir, I don't see a problem with that myself. Just so long as the pokemon remain legal, and you cop to the fact they're made using an Action Replay or with Pokesav, there's no problem. Just, like, don't max out all the IV's of all your pokemon, or make your team all shinies, or anything crazy, okay?

Although come to think of it, a maxed-IV shiny Girafarig WOULD lend a certain amount of "Awesome Style" to my team. If I'm going to have a vaguely useless mascot, I might as well have an awesome one, eh? :smallbiggrin:

However, I don't really plan on EV training my pokemon perfectly. (I'd mostly just go with the proper moveset and Nature if it weren't for those fiddly, hard-to-gauge IV's...)

Korias
2008-01-15, 09:51 PM
I'll probably go with a Fire-type gym. I'll need to sort through my pokedex, but I'm pretty sure that theres a Fire-Ground or something out there. Perhaps Fire-Flying.

That, or Dark Thunder. I have a lot of Dark-Thunder pokemon, but I'm not sure if theres a crossover between the two types.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-15, 10:03 PM
We can use one legendary, so long as it's not an uber?

Amazing. I can use my favorite pokemon, whether I'm a gym leader or not.

Hooray for Articuno!

Pagz
2008-01-16, 05:53 AM
I'd be interested in challenging some time, assuming I can get a USB WiFi thing. I'd also want a bit of time to atleast partially EV train my(poor) pokemon up to a reasonable power level(say, over 9000?).WHAT 9000!
Whats EV training, and as a gym leader, should I be doing it? I don't believe I've ever heard of it....

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/ev.shtml

Yes, as a gym leader, you should be doing it. The link above is a basic guide that should help you.
I have a confession to make. I am a dirty cheater. Many of my Pokeymans were born from the firey pits of an Action Replay. Many are shiny, most were caught in the desert on Rt 228. Some even have maxed DVs. Others have moves that can only be bred, yet they were caught wild.

I pray for forgiveness, and would like to note that I created nothing that was normally impossible, just highly improbable. I basically took down the amount of time spent obtaining them by an order of magnitude.

Also, even if you guys want me to scrap the ones I currently have, I WILL NOT GET RID OF MY GALLADE. That is all.Hmm, as long as you do nothing that is impossible ingame, its allowable, as long as you tell people that your pokemon are hacked. It would be preferable that you did raise your team, though.
That, or Dark Thunder. I have a lot of Dark-Thunder pokemon, but I'm not sure if theres a crossover between the two types.There is ghost/electric, but no dark/electric.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-16, 06:06 AM
Could we do multiple leagues, like how there's Kanto, Johto, and so on? I've been wanting to do something like this for AGES!

I have a Lucky Egg :smallcool:, know good movesets for Pokemon, know how to EV train and even have a type combination and party in mind. Not to mention I've been practicing on PBR.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my preferred type combination is fire/dark.

Pagz
2008-01-16, 06:20 AM
Could we do multiple leagues, like how there's Kanto, Johto, and so on? I've been wanting to do something like this for AGES!I was thinking of this the other day, however we would need to have lots of challengers (too many for the 8 to handle) before I'd create another league, if we had too many gym leaders we'd have no challengers (or just not enough)!

We could create our own region.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-16, 06:50 AM
Well, please let me know if you do end up making another league or needing another gym leader! :smallsmile:

Gungnir
2008-01-16, 10:16 AM
I think I'm gonna step aside and let someone else Lead a gym for now. I'm going to try and reraise all my dudes from scratch, except Gallade, and that's going to take a while.

It would be cool if we could usurp someone's gym though.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-16, 12:19 PM
Alright, I'll try to do some ev training. Is there any recommended spot to train to 100? Some of these are newly caught and aren't at very high levels (like my level 7 umbreon :smalleek: )

Gungnir
2008-01-16, 04:50 PM
Alright, I'll try to do some ev training. Is there any recommended spot to train to 100? Some of these are newly caught and aren't at very high levels (like my level 7 umbreon :smalleek: )

From what people have been saying, you only need to get up to level 50. The game will nerf anything higher than that down to 50, but anything lower stays that way.

Drascin
2008-01-16, 05:30 PM

Not really. Just get a lucky egg, and when you finish EV-training, equip the pokemon with it and go to town. The Elite four is not bad, and there's a trainer in the route south of... Veilstone, I think? Near the entrance to Spring Path. Whatever. He has three high level Seakings that give around 2200 exp per head and are extremely easy to kill even for weaker pokemon that would probably not endure the Elite 4 whole.

And about EV-training spots... it depends. For attack, that same trainer works (Seakings give 2 Attack EVs), or Lake... Valor, is it? The one northwest from the beginning town - fishing with the Super Rod, there's only Gyrados and Seakings. For Sp. Attack, surfing at the little pond at the Resort Area is awesome - there's just Golducks, with a decent level. Speed is generally best served by merely surfing around in Victory Road and attempting to make Golbats go extinct. Defense is a bit more bothersome, but Iron Island can be of use - just remember to run from the Golbats. HP... if you get the same pleasure I do exterminating Bidoofs and Bibarels, go for that :smallamused: . If not, I seem to remember surfing in route 212 gives you only Woopers and Quagsires, and both give HP EVs. There was also a trainer with 3 Gastrodons, but damned if I can remember who it was. For Sp Defense... that is a bit troublesome. I manage with the Tentacruels north of Sunyshore, but the amount of other things around makes this an exercise in frustration control.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-16, 05:45 PM
Hmm, is that a Gym Leader opening? :smallsmile:

Pagz
2008-01-16, 09:27 PM
From what people have been saying, you only need to get up to level 50. The game will nerf anything higher than that down to 50, but anything lower stays that way.
Ok, by reading this post I'm lead to belive there is some confusion regarding EV's IV's and WiFi, so I'll try and explain it as briefly as I can.

IV's (Individual values) are random values assigned to a pokemon when they are born or caught, it is what makes each pokemon unique (their stats different). These values are between 0 and 31 and cannot be changed in anyway in-game. This is why lots of people spend their time breeding pokemon when raising a team.

EV's (Effort Values) is the training a pokemon has received throughout its life. Each time you defeat a pokemon, you will get 1 to 3 effort values added to the pokemon. When a pokemon accumulates 4 effort values, the pokemon receives 1 extra point added to the stat he has recived the EV's for (over a period of time, if you raise 510 EV's he woun't gain them all in one level!). The maximum EV's a pokemon can have is 255, and in total 510, after that, if you talk to the lady in Sunyshore city will give the pokemon a effort ribbon.

EXAMPLE: My level 50 Palkia is untrained and just used so I could beat the elite 4. It has no special training and I didn't catch it in a specific way. It has a "Jolly" nature, which is negative 10% to special attack, so lets look at that stat. Now, its SpA is 144, now a fully trained Palkia, with a boosting nature (lets say, Modest) and the full 255 EV's in SpA, the fully trained Palkia will have 222 SpA, 78 points higher then my untrained Palkia.

Damage wise, lets have a look:

Lets say, the two Palkia were attacking a Gengar with 136 Hp

My Palkia attacks:
Damage: 88 - 104
Damage: 64.71% - 76.47%

Hmm... Thats not really that much, is it? Especially against a Gengar.

The fully trained Palkia attacks:
Damage: 127 - 150
Damage: 93.38% - 110.29%

Ahh, thats much better, you have a very good chance to OHKO it with Surf!

Now that was just an example, but this just shows how much better fully training your pokemon is, it makes the difference of a OHKO or a 2HKO, and can make all the difference when your life is on the line!

Also with Wifi, there are 3 choices when you go into battle, IIRC, normal battle, lv50 battle and lv100 battle. When you choose normal battle, your pokemon stay at the levels they are. When you choose lv50 battle, pokemon will be raised or lowered to level 50, when you choose level 100 battle, pokemon will be raised to level 100. Therefore, once you've EV trained your pokemon, theres no real reason to level them up anymore.
I think I'm gonna step aside and let someone else Lead a gym for now. I'm going to try and reraise all my dudes from scratch, except Gallade, and that's going to take a while.

It would be cool if we could usurp someone's gym though.Uhh... no-ones got their gym ready, and It'll take you just as long as everyone else to get ready. Gym leaders have like a month to get a team together, there is no rush. I would hold the position you have, since it could be a long time until you get it again (if ever!). Do not worry if you think it'll take forever, you could always just hack a team until your ones ready.
Hmm, is that a Gym Leader opening? :smallsmile:Well... we'll see. IIRC, two gym leaders haven't replied yet, and if they don't by tomorrow, you get a spot!

Mando Knight
2008-01-16, 11:53 PM
I would join, but I don't know how to get my DS on my campus's WiFi...

If I did, though, I would definitely go for being a Dragon/Flying... except, of course, there is already a Dragon leader... Salamence, Charizard, Dragonite, Garchomp, Aerodactyl, Flygon?, Kingdra... (if I can find someone to trade a Seadra with a Dragon Scale, then trade it back...), Gyarados (especially if I can't get me a Kingdra...), Skarmory...

No Ubers for Leaders, either, right? That's what I'm thinking, otherwise... I would have some extra incentive to play through Pearl, so that I can stock my team with the following: Rayquaza (hacked for lv. 50 capture, I don't have a Hoenn game... not hacked IV's or anything... I think.), Dialga, Palkia, Latias, Latios (again, Lati@s is a hack-encounter at lv. 50 for lack of Hoenn...), Charizard (My first PokeyMans evar...), Gyarados/Kingdra, Dragonite &/or Salamence, Garchomp...

...yeah... I'm biased towards winged scaly death-bringers...

Also! I find it strange that Luxray isn't Dark-Elec. It has black enough fur...

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-17, 03:34 AM
I believe the waiting list so far consists of GryffonDurime (first) and I (second).

My party will be (When/If I can get into a gym leader spot):

Type: Fire/Dark

Houndoom
Arcanine
Umbreon
Absol
Blaziken
Ninetales
Drapion
Charizard
Camerupt

Dihan
2008-01-18, 06:51 AM
I believe the waiting list so far consists of GryffonDurime (first) and I (second).

Oh really? Here I was thinking that I would be next in line considering I posted by Gym leader type on the previous page...

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-18, 07:40 AM
You did post types, but not exactly that you wanted to be a gym leader...

EDIT: Let's see what Pagz thinks since he's running this. I'd rather not have an argument.

obvious pun
2008-01-18, 09:22 PM
I have stuff to says.

First, I have decided on my second pokemon: An EV trained Milotic.
So the team is currently:
Blaziken (not specifically EV trained)
Milotic (EV trained)

Second, I can't decide on the other four (or seven, if challengers need 9 as well) pokemon I need.

Third, I see only one person has posted their friend code, besides me of course (in my sig).

Fourth, I got Mew and Feebas for all those who wanna trade me rare and powerful stuff. I also have other stuffs that are trade worthy.

Finally, while we're waiting for the whole gym leader thing to get set up, who wants a one on one battle vs. my Mew? Or my Blaziken? Or my Milotic? Or all three at once in a three vs. three battle? I honestly have nothing better to do.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-19, 12:15 AM
Just as a question, can a leader change a pokemon in their lineup? Some of the pokemon I want to use are proving to be nuisances to aquire, whereas I have a Gengar and Rotom that are just begging to be put in.

Drascin
2008-01-19, 06:39 AM
Just as a question, can a leader change a pokemon in their lineup? Some of the pokemon I want to use are proving to be nuisances to aquire, whereas I have a Gengar and Rotom that are just begging to be put in.

I hope so, because when Mojo gives me that Jirachi it's going into the team stat. Yes, it doesn't really fit the team's strategy, but I just love the little guy :smallsmile:, and I'm willing to self-nerf for it. And anyway, I assume the lineup can be changed for now, since we haven't really started - and I'm thinking of more than one change. That Empoleon's place in the team is looking more and more in danger...

But if you need a pokemon for that lineup you posted in the first page, just ask, since I most likely can give it to you - I have at least one of every one of those except for Sableye (and even that I might be able to get within a few days' notice if necessary), and would be perfectly willing to trade, if you don't mind the pokemon being shamelessly cloned (I'm not giving away Slash - that's my lvl 100 Weavile - but I'd be perfectly willing to give you a copy).

I have stuff to says.

First, I have decided on my second pokemon: An EV trained Milotic.
So the team is currently:
Blaziken (not specifically EV trained)
Milotic (EV trained)

Second, I can't decide on the other four (or seven, if challengers need 9 as well) pokemon I need.

Third, I see only one person has posted their friend code, besides me of course (in my sig).

Fourth, I got Mew and Feebas for all those who wanna trade me rare and powerful stuff. I also have other stuffs that are trade worthy.

Finally, while we're waiting for the whole gym leader thing to get set up, who wants a one on one battle vs. my Mew? Or my Blaziken? Or my Milotic? Or all three at once in a three vs. three battle? I honestly have nothing better to do.

I'll reply in parts too :smalltongue:

First, good choice. Milotic is a very respectable wall, and packs enough punch to actually hurt the things it's walling.

Second, you really ought to think of the pokemon you like most, first. You'll put a lot more care in raising something you like (like my case with Garde, for example. Yeah, I know Alakazam is almost strictly better, but I don't care, I like Gardevoir better), and you'll know your team better, which helps with prediction and counterprediction, and that can sometimes make up for a little power loss. 'Sides, slightly underused pokes carry a bit of a surprise factor with them - if you get a Tyranitar out, I know it has Earthquake, Stone Edge, and most likely Crunch The main doubt is whether he's carrying Dragon Dance, Ice Fang or Giga Impact in that last slot. If you get, say, a Cacturne out, I'll go "huh?" and struggle to remember just what the blazes that thing learnt, and whether I can expect physicals or specials from it. So, think to yourself "what pokemon do I like better?" and then visit Serebi.net and plan their progression. Once you decide on them, I can help you with said planning and their later collecting, if you wish. Of course, sometimes you have to make sacrifices and use something you don't like because it's the last piece your team needs, but generally, go with a strategy and team members you like.

Third, well, I generally don't post it until it's needed. When I start trading and battling, I'll post it. But yeah, we need something like those Trainer Cards, but with nine slots and for Gym Leaders, to have our teams and Friend Codes visible for all challengers.

Fourth, well, yeah, of course I'd like a Mew. In exchange... well, to be direct, I can get you pretty much anything that it's not an Event Legendary. What I don't have, one of my friends undoubtedly will. And if I tell them it'll be in exchange for having a Mew to clone, they'll be perfectly willing to give you a lot of things :smallwink: .

Pagz
2008-01-19, 08:49 AM
Congratulations Doihaveaname? and GryffonDurime for getting the last two gym leader positions, I'll update the first post.

As for the lineup question, you can change your lineup anytime you want up to your first official battle as a gym leader.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-19, 10:08 AM
I guess a congrats is in order, although I must admit I'm reluctant. So congrats. I do hope I eventually get a spot, though. I've hatched enough Houndour to make me want to scream...

obvious pun
2008-01-19, 01:42 PM
Okay, after hours of deciding, I've come up with my entire team. I don't have it yet, but the schematics and blueprints and whatnot are all there.

Blaziken
Milotic
Magnezone
Rhyperior
Megayanma or whatever it's called
Kangaskhan

Now, once I get a Rhydon, who would like to trade with me so it can become a Rhyperior?

Also, I should list the legendaries I don't have.

Lugia
Ho-oh
Celebi
Latios
Jirachi
Deoxys
Palkia
Manaphy
Shaymin
Darkrai
Arceus

Oh, and whoever it was who has the Jirachi, what nature was it again? I may have plans for it yet.

Pagz
2008-01-20, 05:12 AM
Now, once I get a Rhydon, who would like to trade with me so it can become a Rhyperior?I'm sure I can manage that.

Korias, have you decided a dual type yet?

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-20, 05:25 AM
I'll train a team anyway so I can jump in quickly if someone gives up their spot. Of course, I am training a challenger team as well.

Drascin
2008-01-20, 06:59 AM
Alright, my team is starting to take shape - Tyrant, Krusher, Screech and Roll are already fine-tuned (yep, I decided to have all my team - except Jirachi, as in his case it's supposed to be his own name, not that of a species - named, just for a change). I just need to decide who's taking those last two spots (as I'm not sure at all about Shuckle and Empoleon, and that Trick-rooming Lunatone and a Scizor Swordsdancer are looking mighty tempting), finish training Bastiodon (and think of a nickname for him), and get my mitts on that Jirachi.

Which is why I'm here: Mojo, the Enigma berries have already grown, so I am ready for that trade when you are. And if you want something else apart from the Berry'd Girafarig (btw, I happen to have a few around, so if you need any particular nature, I might be able to give it to you directly - or, if you prefer, I could ask Will to clone me his shiny one), please don't hesitate to mention it.

Dihan
2008-01-20, 07:30 AM
I've decided on my last three pokemon; Jolteon, Tentacruel and Relicanth.

onasuma
2008-01-21, 02:08 PM
Hey guys. Sorry, but due to circumstances outside my control, i wont have time to get a team ready for my gym-leaderiness. I can still play as a challenger, but thats only because i have a team already done. Sorry.

Timarvay
2008-01-21, 02:18 PM
So, when I can get a DS I'm planning on getting either Diamond or Pearl, probably Pearl.

Input?

Also, what has changed since Ruby?

Gungnir
2008-01-21, 02:37 PM
More pokeymans, and moves do physical/special damage based on the move, not by the type. For instance, Ice punch used to be a special attack because it was ice, but now its physical because that makes more sense.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-21, 05:33 PM
Soo...I'm bored between EV training sessions, and I've got a passing familiarity with both pixel and vector graphics.

Anyone have a request for their trainer/badge?

Also, not that I intend to step down as a gym leader too terribly soon, but if and when I do, I'm consider running a just-hatched-pokemon Breeder's Cup. :smallsmile:

Drascin
2008-01-21, 05:50 PM
Soo...I'm bored between EV training sessions, and I've got a passing familiarity with both pixel and vector graphics.

Anyone have a request for their trainer/badge?

Also, not that I intend to step down as a gym leader too terribly soon, but if and when I do, I'm consider running a just-hatched-pokemon Breeder's Cup. :smallsmile:

Well, if you'd be willing to make me a badge, I'd owe you one. In fact, if you want me to help with the training in exchange for it, I'd be most willing to - my mind kinda goes into Auto after training so many pokes, so one more or less is not really a problem :smallwink:.

About what the badge should show... well, I don't know. I suck at design. My team is Steel/Rock, and makes heavy use of defensive tactics and countering people's heads open, so anything that gives that vibe of "unbreaking cliff" would be optimal.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-22, 06:36 AM
Hey guys. Sorry, but due to circumstances outside my control, i wont have time to get a team ready for my gym-leaderiness. I can still play as a challenger, but thats only because i have a team already done. Sorry. If that means I get your spot, then I accept.

EDIT: I did this potential badge a while ago:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/Frebedor/Pokemon/darkfire2.png

Mando Knight
2008-01-22, 10:35 AM
not everyone in the game world could get a Pikachu.

Except for Yellow, though, every game has had hordes of Pikachu. "Not everyone in the game world?" Try 75% of the Pokemon just sitting there that you can look at!

I'll need to find out how I can connect to Nintendo Wifi... I can't seem to sync my DS with my campus's Wifi, and I don't have the USB thing...

Eldritch_Ent
2008-01-22, 06:02 PM
Well, my router died over the weekend. (It was my birthday too! :smallyuk: ) Good news is I fixed it. Bad news is... It's not Wifi Compatible anymore. :(

So I might have to turn in my Badge as Gym Leader, and I won't be able to get you that Jirachi. :( However, give me a few days and I'll see if I can't salvage this or get something set up. However, in the meantime, I can't so much as use the World Trade Center. :smallfrown:

I'll leave updates on wether or not I can salvage it. I'm not out YET, the Jury is still out, just giving you guys a heads up.

Pagz
2008-01-22, 10:37 PM
Well, my router died over the weekend. (It was my birthday too! :smallyuk: ) Good news is I fixed it. Bad news is... It's not Wifi Compatible anymore. :(

So I might have to turn in my Badge as Gym Leader, and I won't be able to get you that Jirachi. :( However, give me a few days and I'll see if I can't salvage this or get something set up. However, in the meantime, I can't so much as use the World Trade Center. :smallfrown:

I'll leave updates on wether or not I can salvage it. I'm not out YET, the Jury is still out, just giving you guys a heads up.What changed to not make it Wi-Fi compatable? I remember with my router, it used to be a g+b transmission, which was the default setting and non-compatible with my ds. I went into options and changed it so it only transmitted a b signal so it would be compatible with my ds. Try and see which signal your router is giving off (I'm assuming you have wireless). If it used to work, I don't see why we cant get it to work again.

meaning not everyone in the game world could get a Pikachu.Except for Yellow, though, every game has had hordes of Pikachu. "Not everyone in the game world?" Try 75% of the Pokemon just sitting there that you can look at!You obviously didn't read the whole post.
If that means I get your spot, then I accept.

EDIT: I did this potential badge a while ago:

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o222/Frebedor/Pokemon/darkfire2.png:smallamused:

We should probably come to a consensus as to how many pixles our badges should be, since everyones should be the same size for uniform sake (also it'd be weird if you put the badges in your signature and they're all different sizes). The ingame badges are around 13x13 pixles, so do we want to keep it like that so we can deck out trainer cards with the badges that trainers have accumulated (anyone who has been to a pokemon site would of seen trainer cards with badges on them), or do we want stylized, large badges?

Yes DarkLightDragon, you get the spot.

Mando Knight
2008-01-22, 11:16 PM
No, I did read the whole thing... and actually, the thing about not everyone getting a Pikachu in Yellow kinda supports the idea of allowing it in the challenge, as not everyone in the game world can pick up a Charizard, either. You could restrict a starter Pika to a Pikachu with no Surf or Volt Tackle, and Pichu and Raichu don't count.

Also in that post, I noticed that you made a small error... Red isn't the protagonist of Yellow, who's supposed to be Ash, and he is the protagonist of the anime, so how does that post ...work... unless you mean the manga, in which Red's starter was a Bulbasaur, but his first Pokemon was a Poliwag...

On the router not working bit, if you have the connection encrypted, you'll need to ensure that it's broadcasting using WEP encryption, not WPA.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-22, 11:25 PM
I can make badges if a size is decided. I've got some strong, graphic statements in mind for the two badges I've been tasked with already, but I'd be happy to make the whole set uniform in style if everyone would describe what they'd like.

Mando Knight
2008-01-22, 11:57 PM
On a not-gym note, what exactly are base stats? I mean, the ones in Serebii.net and Bulbapedia? Serebii gives info on the dynamic values (IVs, EVs, levels, etc.), but not on Base Stats...

How about an Elite Four? I know that would gyp the people who signed up for leaders, but all of the in-game leagues have 'em... how about the 1st four champions become the E4?

Or maybe an "Uber-level" gym set that allows all Ubers except Wobbuffet?

Pagz
2008-01-23, 02:15 AM
No, I did read the whole thing... and actually, the thing about not everyone getting a Pikachu in Yellow kinda supports the idea of allowing it in the challenge, as not everyone in the game world can pick up a Charizard, either. You could restrict a starter Pika to a Pikachu with no Surf or Volt Tackle, and Pichu and Raichu don't count.

Also in that post, I noticed that you made a small error... Red isn't the protagonist of Yellow, who's supposed to be Ash, and he is the protagonist of the anime, so how does that post ...work... unless you mean the manga, in which Red's starter was a Bulbasaur, but his first Pokemon was a Poliwag...

On the router not working bit, if you have the connection encrypted, you'll need to ensure that it's broadcasting using WEP encryption, not WPA....I think your confused with what I said. Either way, I can't be bothered explaining. Pikachu and eevee are not allowed mainly because I want a challenger to have one of the first pokemon trainers start with, not what a single anime character starts with.
On a not-gym note, what exactly are base stats? I mean, the ones in Serebii.net and Bulbapedia? Serebii gives info on the dynamic values (IVs, EVs, levels, etc.), but not on Base Stats...

How about an Elite Four? I know that would gyp the people who signed up for leaders, but all of the in-game leagues have 'em... how about the 1st four champions become the E4?

Or maybe an "Uber-level" gym set that allows all Ubers except Wobbuffet?There is not enough interest to have an Elite 4, also with the way WiFi works there really is no reason to have one. I would rather create another region (another 8 badges) then have an elite 4.
I can make badges if a size is decided. I've got some strong, graphic statements in mind for the two badges I've been tasked with already, but I'd be happy to make the whole set uniform in style if everyone would describe what they'd like.We'll try having 13x13 pixel badges, when you post them and hearing your thoughts, we'll discuss if they need to be bigger or not.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-23, 04:36 AM
Listening to music and watching TV are helpful to make EV training not so boring. That's what I've been doing while EV training my Houndoom. And getting the power items from the battle park speeds the whole thing along.

Drascin
2008-01-23, 09:38 AM

I'll leave updates on wether or not I can salvage it. I'm not out YET, the Jury is still out, just giving you guys a heads up.

Well... crap. I guess I'll have to turn elsewhere for getting a Jirachi, then. Generally I prefer to make as little use of cheats as possible (since I know I'm weak-willed, and if I start cheating I'll soon end not actualy doing anything by myself, like I ended up in Warcraft 3, and I refuse) but with my team almost decided I really don't want to have to rethink it, so I guess I'll ask Rob to Action Replay me a Jirachi egg (as I want to be the OT if possible, in case I finally decide to give it a nickname too).

You really shouldn't give Base stats' method of obtaining much thought. Just use them as they are meant to be: a baseline for comparison. A kind of Tier System, if you will, on how a certain stat from a pokémon grows compared to other pokémon.

Examples: A pokémon with 90-100 on a Base Stat has a rather good (avobe average) progression, and can be trusted to perform more than adequately in that area. A pokemon with 50 in a base stat has a very poor stat progression in that area and really shouldn't be using that stat for anything primary (such as Bastiodon's both attack stats). A pokemon with 120-130 is very, very impressive in that area (such as Alakazam in Sp. Atk) and its design will probably be centered around that stat. And so on and so forth.

Listening to music and watching TV are helpful to make EV training not so boring. That's what I've been doing while EV training my Houndoom. And getting the power items from the battle park speeds the whole thing along.

Also, as an additional recommendation to DLD's sage advice: if you have any way at all, get Pokérus! And Macho Brace if you feel lazy to get all the individual power items :smalltongue: - it's sightly less efficient than them, tho.
But anyway you do it, getting 8-10 EVs per enemy makes things infinitely quicker (full vitamination plus this means you only need to defeat about 19 enemies to max out a stat). Then it's just a matter of giving your guy a Lucky egg and pulverizing the Elite 4 at leisure :smallamused:. Which will take a lot more time, I'm afraid. As a way to pass the time while training, I personally recommend Lucky Star :smalltongue:

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 01:40 PM
8-10 EVs? Wow. I thought that the most you could get on one Poke without Pokerus was 3, 6 with Macho Brace... so that's with both the Brace and the 'rus?

I know that the base stats can be used for a relative comparison of strength, I just wanted to know if there was a definite mathematical connection and where they derive them from.

For Attack EVs, get the Super Rod and fight Gyarados. Those things appear frequently enough in caves, and give off 2 Attack EV/fight. Exp. Share also helps when you're training multiple Pokemon in the same stat, as anyone who gets a fraction of the Exp gets all of the EVs.

Drascin, I may be able to get you a Jirachi from my FR game, as I have a GBA Gameshark... but I don't have the code to create Pokemon eggs, so it would have my FR game's OT... That shark is the only reason why I have Hoenn region Pokemon, or Deoxys... I just need to find a hotspot where I can link up my DS to the Intarwebs.

Drascin
2008-01-23, 01:57 PM
Yep, 8 EVs per fight. Let's do the math, shall we?

A Gyarados gives 2 Attack EVs, correct? Macho Brace multiplies that by 2, and then Pokerus doubles that (as Macho Brace and Pokerus specifically stack). Therefore 2x2x2= 8 Attack EVs per Gyarados. This one I know for sure, since I have been using the Brace for ages.

What I am not sure of, since I just use Macho Brace, is how the Power items stack with pokérus, as it's an addition, not a multiplier. It could go two ways:

- 2 EVs multiplied by 2 by pokérus, and then plus 4 due to Power item = 8, same efficiency as Macho Brace.

- 2 EVs plus 4 due to Power item and then multiplied by 2 by pokérus = 12, a 50% increase in efficiency from Macho Brace.

I am not completely certain of it, since increments of 8 were quite enough for me (and sometimes I even had to unequip and such to fine-tune), so I didn't bother trying.

So, yeah, Pokérus is awesome, and your friend. And I have twenty infected pokes in my PC to make sure I can always infect my trainees with this deadly disease :smallamused: .

Oh, and thanks, but don't bother with the Jirachi. As said, I do have a friend who can Action Replay me an egg if I ask him to, so don't fret it ^^

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 02:54 PM
I wish I had the Pokerus on one of my Pokeymans...

At least its effects remain on a "recovered" Pokemon...

Anyone have advice on getting a Budew to evolve? I've been trying to get my Pearl game up to about where my Diamond game is (yes, I have both. I have no life.:smallsigh:), but my Budew isn't fully happy yet, and I want it to be a Roselia by its next level... I'm on the road to Veilstone, if that helps.

obvious pun
2008-01-23, 04:32 PM
oh pokerus, I remember the first time i got it...

Me: (not listening to what nurse joy says, than notice somthing about viruses) Huh, what about a virus? (checks pokemon) Nooooo (I didn't know pokerus was good back then) what does it do, will my pokemon ever recover? I should just restart the game...

as for budew evolving, it needs happiness during the daytime.

my training/capturing is less than a third of the way done, I fear I'll go crazy training EVs, breeding magnemite (I still question how something genderless can breed, even with a ditto), and leveling up.

And that's all I came here to say. For now...

Gungnir
2008-01-23, 04:42 PM
(I still question how something genderless can breed, even with a ditto)

It not so much that it doesn't have a gender, it's that noone can figure out what it is. Except for ditto. Ditto is actually an avatar of the Greek goddess of prostitution.

Mando Knight
2008-01-23, 05:02 PM
I think that the genderless breedable Pokemon are actually genderless: they are all Rock or Steel-type, and are shaped like such.

Yes, Ditto is improperly named in the Pokemon games, but that's only because of Nintendo keeping the game rated E... also, remember: Diglett and Wailord, sittin' in a tree...

I read in the Nintendo guide that an Everstone on a parent Pokemon will give the baby their nature. Is that true?

Also, I know about when and how Budew evolves, I just want your opinions on how to quickly increase its happiness.

Drascin
2008-01-23, 05:13 PM
I read in the Nintendo guide that an Everstone on a parent Pokemon will give the baby their nature. Is that true?

Also, I know about when and how Budew evolves, I just want your opinions on how to quickly increase its happiness.

In my experience, an Everstone equipped to the female pokémon gives a 50% probability of it passing down her nature to the egg.

Well, if you're on route to Veilstone, arrive there first, and there's a girl in that city (south of the Gym, I think) that massages one pokémon daily. That helps a lot.

Apart from that... at this stage of the game, you're pretty much boned. Make the budew win a lot of combats (go find some low-levels if you wish), that'll make it happy. There's not much more now, until you get happiness-boosting items, can make poffins, and such.

Oh, and if you want a pokerused poke, I'll trade you one, if you want. Not now, as I am not going to stay awake much longer, but tomorrow I can give you one if you want ^^.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-23, 05:46 PM
I'd love a pokerused anything. It'll make training these guys so much faster (I'm not even close to done). Lemme figure out the wifi here and I'll post my friend code. Do you want anything specific in return for the pokemon, or shall I send you a bidoof?

Dihan
2008-01-23, 05:56 PM
I could do with a pokerus... I've never had a pokemon with it :smallsigh:

Goblin Music
2008-01-23, 11:34 PM
I can add some art (like say make the trainer card/case and some badges) until i am of the level to challenge. If you chose to have another set of gym leaders i would like to do a fire style gym.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-24, 02:20 AM
I also wouldn't mind having a pokerus Pokemon.

I also have a bunch of Houndour with dark pulse that are filling up the breeding box of my PC, so if anyone wants one then we can arrange something. I also have a few Shinx with ice fang and crunch.

EDIT: I forgot the Pichu with wish.

onasuma
2008-01-24, 12:54 PM
Question: Do challengers have to stick to 9 pokemon as well, or can they chop and change?

Mando Knight
2008-01-24, 01:01 PM
Nay, they must stick to the same six every battle for some reason.:smallconfused:

Drascin
2008-01-24, 02:10 PM
I'd say that reason is mainly to give Leaders a chance of winning. If you custom-tune your team to beat each type, there's not much the average leader can do to you. I, for example, will be painfully weak to Fighting types, so if Challengers could change their teams between battles as they wished, it'd be a massacre - just make sure every pokemon in your team is packing Close Combat, and have a few Focus Blasts and Flamethrowers around for good measure, and you're set (Aura Spheres would be just adding insult to injury :smallannoyed:) .

And it seems that my mention of giving away pokerused things was kinda... more successful than expected :smalltongue: . Well, ok, I'd be willing to give away pokérus. As a repayment, I really don't want anything, though if you have rare berries they'd be nice. Or starter pokes from the second or third generation. Or a freaking Heracross, as I'm bored of searching for one.

SpiderMew
2008-01-24, 02:29 PM
Anyone wanna buy me a ds and pokemon so i can join in....
no?...

Man i wish i had a ds so i could join in!
Ide love to try to collect all your badges with just one team and desplay them in my sig.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-25, 07:44 PM
Third generation would be ruby/sapphire/emerald right? If so, which one would you like? I have a level 13 torchic with a lonely nature and a 15 mudkip who's nature I'd have to look up. I have no rare berries to give though.

AlterForm
2008-01-25, 09:37 PM
This looks interesting. I'm just barely managing to slowly train my current (subpar) team for the E4, but it's so damned slow...why do they make the gym leader types so exploitable? I beat Volkner with a team of level 40ishes. :smallannoyed: Now I need, like, level 55+? Grrrrr.

Anywho, I figure getting into the pokemon wifi would be a refreshing break. How, praytell, shall this work? And how do I need to prepare for it?

BTW, back to my E4 quest, is it really worth it to beat them? I don't remember it ever taking this long in FireRed/LeafGreen/Ruby/Sapphire. AND THAT GODDAMN QUAGSIRE.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-25, 10:12 PM
Alterform, you can exploit the elite four with pokemon in the 47+ range (at least I managed to). I recommend a strong fire type for the bug one (so either infernape or rapidash because d/p have no fire types in them...), a grass type using grass knot for the ground one (it's so unfair...my 43 Roserade one shot all but one), a water type and something with a fighting attack for the fire guy, a good dark type and the fire type again for the psychic one (his bronzong might kill you anyways if you're unlucky), and a lot of luck for the champion. After you beat them, you can do a few things I think, but I can't think of any of them. Maybe nothing?

TheOtherMC
2008-01-25, 11:39 PM
After you beat them, you can do a few things I think, but I can't think of any of them. Maybe nothing?

*cough* National Dex *cough*

*cough* Battle Island *cough*

Dhavaer
2008-01-25, 11:55 PM
After you beat them, you can complete the national dex, which lets you get a lot of other pokemon (Rotom, Cresselia, Eevee, etc) and also go to the Battle Zone.

Mando Knight
2008-01-26, 12:08 AM
...half a dozen or so more legendaries, Pal Park...

Grass Knot is super cheap against most Ground or Rock types... and if you haven't raised a Roserade (What's wrong with you if you haven't?), but do have an Infernape, it can learn the move, too.

Train a Lucario, Alakazam, or Gengar and also your Dialga/Palkia, Rapidash if you didn't get Infernape (the thing is practically Blaziken 2.0...), a water type if you don't have Empoleon or Palkia, Roserade, and maybe Staraptor or Golem since they've got decent stats and can join you early on. The last slot I usually leave open for my Bibarel, who is far more useful than he initially appears.

Bibarel uses:
1. If you messed up your switch, switch to Bibarel. It faints from the next attack, and you get to swap in a more useful Pokemon for (almost) free.

2. HM slave. 'Nuff said.

3. Attack EVs when found in the wild

4. Comedy:smalltongue:

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-26, 05:48 AM
Speaking of Rotom... I've tried going to the Old Chateau during the time its supposed to appear, entering the room with the table and... nothing, although once there was an old man there who floated to the left and disappeared. Nothing since then, though.

AlterForm
2008-01-26, 09:42 AM
Alright, what I've got so far: (I said it's subpar...)

Infernape
-Close Combat
-Fury Swipes (need to lose. fast. swap for...grass knot?)
-Flamethrower
-Flame Wheel

Staraptor
-Fly
-Aerial Ace
-Quick Attack
-Close Combat (Is it bad to double up on moves in a team?)

Lucario (down about 8 levels from the rest of the team...I can't find a good use for him against the E4, so he winds up not getting exp)
-Quick Attack
-Aura Sphere
-Force Palm
-Swords Dance

Empoleon (up about 8 levels from the rest of my team; was my starter; I think I f***ed his moveset up)
-Waterfall (Had to teach it to someone...)
-Aqua Jet
-Surf
-Defog (See waterfall. Maybe I should grab a bibaslave...)

Graveler(?) (I'm not sure to what to put in this slot actually...I tried Luxray, but he didn't get used)
-Rock Smash
-Rollout
-Something
-Something else

Misdreavus @Something boosting ghost (going to swap psybeam for psychic and evolve sometime) (Actually, looking at its stats on Serebii, there's nothing particularly amazing about Misdreavus/magius. Maybe I'll drop)
-Confuse Ray
-Pain Split
-Psybeam
-Shadow Ball

If I understood your advice, I should change my team to look more like:

-Empoleon
-Infernape
-Roserade
-Staraptor/Golem
-Alakazam
-(OPEN)

[EDIT]: Also, the rules for the Gym Leader challenge. As I understand them, I put together one team consisting of six pokes to challenge all 8 gym leaders? Then, upon connecting to the wifi server, they get bumped to level 100. Does this bump forcefully change their movesets? Can challengers have 9 pokes instead, so they can tune their team a little bit to each challenge? Does OU tier basically mean any legendary poke is disallowed, or are there more that are banned?

Gungnir
2008-01-26, 11:22 AM
Speaking of Rotom... I've tried going to the Old Chateau during the time its supposed to appear, entering the room with the table and... nothing, although once there was an old man there who floated to the left and disappeared. Nothing since then, though.

Talk to the TV.

Drascin
2008-01-26, 12:05 PM
Third generation would be ruby/sapphire/emerald right? If so, which one would you like? I have a level 13 torchic with a lonely nature and a 15 mudkip who's nature I'd have to look up. I have no rare berries to give though.

Ohhh... mudkip. I like Mudkip (first one to do that joke will be shot a Wailord by an orbital cannon). Yeah, I'd give you a pokerused something in exchange for the mudkip.

[EDIT]: Also, the rules for the Gym Leader challenge. As I understand them, I put together one team consisting of six pokes to challenge all 8 gym leaders? Then, upon connecting to the wifi server, they get bumped to level 100. Does this bump forcefully change their movesets? Can challengers have 9 pokes instead, so they can tune their team a little bit to each challenge? Does OU tier basically mean any legendary poke is disallowed, or are there more that are banned?

I'll field this one :smalltongue:.

Yes, you put together a team of 6 pokemon against the 8 leaders.

Yes, the pokemon are bumped to 100. No, this doesn't alter their movesets.

As of now, technically no, the only ones allowed the 9-pokemon buffer are the leaders. I assume it's to reduce the problem of monotype weakness.

OU for this purpose basically means "no Ubers". This doesn't mean all legendaries are banned, only the ones in the Uber list. You can still use a lot of legends (I myself have a Jirachi as the centerpiece of my team). For easy reference, let me quote the Uber list from three pages back:

Arceus
Darkrai
Deoxys
Deoxys-A
Deoxys-D
Deoxys-S
Dialga
Giratina
Groudon
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Latias
Latios
Lugia
Manaphy
Mew
Mewtwo
Palkia
Rayquaza
Wobbuffet
Wynaut

Oh, and about the League... That last team is very much perfect - in fact, it might be severe overkill. I got through it with Empoleon, Cherrim (gotta say, Garchomp doesn't seem that threatening when at theother side of a Solar Beam), Alakazam, Staraptor, Luxray and I think Lucario. Levels around 45-47 or so, I think. Bronzong was a complete ***** to KO without any fire attacks, but apart from that, not many problems. In fact, the first two trainers were particularly entertaining. It was pretty much:

"Staraptor, go!"

*Staraptor eats enemy trainer*

"Alright, next!"

And then

"Cherrim, go!"

*Cherrim uses Sunny Day*

*Cherrim laughs at enemy's Earthquake*

*Cherrim disintegrates enemy team with lasers*

"Yay!"

That day, the Elite 4 learned to not underestimate little flowery guys :smallamused:. And I learned that I liked Cherrim, despite her technical suboptimalness.

Mando Knight
2008-01-26, 12:23 PM
If I understood your advice, I should change my team to look more like:

-Empoleon
-Infernape
-Roserade
-Staraptor/Golem
-Alakazam
-(OPEN)

That's a good team for the Gym Leader challenge, except you may want to throw in a Dragonite, Garchomp, Salamence, etc. to make up for the no Dialga/Palkia.

Ubers, the only Pokemon disallowed in OU combat, include all legendaries except for the Legendary Beasts (Suicune, Raikou, Entei), Legendary Birds (Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres), Celebi, and Jirachi. They're all allowed because of poor movesets or type combinations. Wobbuffet is the only not-legendary that is an Uber for a few reasons: if two Wobbuffet go against each other with Leftovers, the fight will never end; and their counter-attacking capabilities are massive. I once used one to capture a Suicune, and one time the thing Struggled itself to death before it was captured, and another time I ran out of Ultra Balls. (I then came back with about 70-100 Ultra Balls, determined to make it MINE... I succeeded in under 30 rounds...)

Bibaslave, unfortunately, cannot learn Defog. My moveset for it is Rock Climb, Strength, Rock Smash, and Cut.

Enlong
2008-01-26, 12:49 PM
Any chance I could join this thing as a challenger? I've got a fairly good team in the works, and an idea for another pokémon to round out the team. Any chance that if I wanted to challenge, I could have some time to beat the Elite Four so I can get a Super Rod, some Luvdiscs, and by extension, some Heart Scales?

Mando Knight
2008-01-26, 12:59 PM
Luvdiscs aren't the only way to get Heart Scales, you know. The underground has them in abundance if you stick around in there for an hour or so, moreso if you've beat the Elite 4.

Pagz
2008-01-26, 07:07 PM
Wow, sorry for my absence during the past few days. Since we've had an abundance of people interested in participating, I'll update the first page with all the information challengers and gym leaders need to know, and also post the answers to questions that many people have asked.

I can add some art (like say make the trainer card/case and some badges) until i am of the level to challenge. If you chose to have another set of gym leaders i would like to do a fire style gym.Actually, if you could make us a banner for the thread, that would be beyond great, anyone who can do this, it'd be deeply appreciated!

Korias, you haven't been on since the 22nd, and haven't replied to this thread since the 17th, and have failed to reply to my PM, if you don't reply by the 31st, you'll be dropped as a gym leader. I'm sorry, but I need to keep this thread moving in this very early stage, as if I can't find 8 dedicated leaders, then it makes it hard for challengers.

Pagz
2008-01-26, 07:12 PM
Double post >.>

AlterForm
2008-01-26, 07:20 PM
Hey, add my name to the list of Gym-Leaders-to-be as well, just for the heck of it. I'm sure there's a few people ahead of me, but I can step up if someone else steps down at a later date. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I've started work on my challenge team. EV-training's gonna be a b****; would anyone be kind enough to trade me a macho brace or pokerus in exchange for something?

Enlong
2008-01-26, 08:04 PM
Luvdiscs aren't the only way to get Heart Scales, you know. The underground has them in abundance if you stick around in there for an hour or so, moreso if you've beat the Elite 4.

So, the more time you spend, the better the stuff you get? good to know. See, I want to make a Weavile with Ice Punch and one other Punch in addition to Night Slash and Aerial Ace. Weavile smells like Sweeper to me.

Question. Can I use a Heart Scale to teach Torterra Wood Hammer?

Also: If at any point in the future you will be accepting new submissions for Gym Leaders, could I perhaps throw my name into the hat, as a Steel/Fighting gym?

Pagz
2008-01-26, 09:31 PM
Hey, add my name to the list of Gym-Leaders-to-be as well, just for the heck of it. I'm sure there's a few people ahead of me, but I can step up if someone else steps down at a later date. :smallbiggrin:
Also: If at any point in the future you will be accepting new submissions for Gym Leaders, could I perhaps throw my name into the hat, as a Steel/Fighting gym?I have the feeling Korias won't be back for awhile, so if people start submitting their gym leader ideas, if Korias doesn't reply in a week, I'll choose one of you to take his place.
So, the more time you spend, the better the stuff you get? good to know. See, I want to make a Weavile with Ice Punch and one other Punch in addition to Night Slash and Aerial Ace. Weavile smells like Sweeper to me.not necessarily, you dont get better items as time goes on, as time goes on, you get better chances of getting better items. The more your mine, the better your chances are of finding an item, however it doesn't raise the chances of finding one as time goes on (I did find that after I got the National Dex that I got better items however, I don't know if thats because of luck or not however).

If there is anything I've left out on the front page, please let me know.

EDIT: I took out the requirement that challengers have to use a starter.

obvious pun
2008-01-26, 09:31 PM
Also: If at any point in the future you will be accepting new submissions for Gym Leaders, could I perhaps throw my name into the hat, as a Steel/Fighting gym?

I don't think there are 8 gym leaders yet, so I'm pretty sure you can get your little steel/fighting gym. Now, back to talking about myself...

Sigh... I haven't had the time to train my team, what with all the anime I've been spending the last few days watching. When training resumes, this team of mine will glow with an awesome power! Its burning grip will tell me to defeat you!(Cooke to whoever figures out what I've been watching for the past few days.)

If my team isn't ready by the time you all start, then I'll resort to drastic training measures.

That is all... for now.

Edit: ninja'd!

Enlong
2008-01-26, 09:53 PM
I don't think there are 8 gym leaders yet, so I'm pretty sure you can get your little steel/fighting gym. Now, back to talking about myself...

Sigh... I haven't had the time to train my team, what with all the anime I've been spending the last few days watching. When training resumes, this team of mine will glow with an awesome power! Its burning grip will tell me to defeat you!(Cooke to whoever figures out what I've been watching for the past few days.)

If my team isn't ready by the time you all start, then I'll resort to drastic training measures.

That is all... for now.

Edit: ninja'd!Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

Anyways, I'll not be able to start a proper Steel/Fight gym for a while. I'm gonna need to get the nat'l Dex so I can get some really good ones like Metagross and Scizor, so it may be a while.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-26, 10:00 PM
Darn, Enlong got it before me...

Don't worry about the training, I finally caught 2 of my team today (absol and drapion...stupid swarms and safari game). My team isn't done being trained either.

AlterForm
2008-01-26, 10:00 PM

Lessee, the quote sounds somewhat familiar.

*Google*

Ah, "This finger of mine will glow with an awesome power! It's burning grip will tell me to defeat you! SHINING FINGER!!!"

I think that's Gundam....something or other.

*Google*

Ah, G-Gundam. :smallbiggrin:

My Google-fu is strong. [EDIT]: But not fast, apparently.

Also, if I become a gym leader, I'd go with a Dark/Ice (Sneasel/Weavile = kewl) or Steel/Electric (Machine theme. Hehe.) setup. Heck, a Ghost/Electric maining Rotom could be cool too. But that shall come later. My request for a macho brace or pokerus (or heck, a level 100 loan to whup the E4) still stands.

Pagz
2008-01-26, 10:06 PM
My request for a macho brace or pokerus (or heck, a level 100 loan to whup the E4) still stands.You can have a level 70 Rayquaza if you want, right now too, so you can beat the elite 4 (this applies to anyone who just wants to beat the elite 4 asap).

AlterForm
2008-01-26, 10:32 PM
I have the Rayquaza, but once I beat the E4 I can trade it off to whoever else might want it to beat the E4, or back to you Pogz if you want it.

[EDIT]: Massacrering them with a Rayquaza while listening to Naruto openings makes them much more bearable. BUT STILL THAT GODDAMN QUAGSIRE. X(

obvious pun
2008-01-26, 10:35 PM
Mobile Fighter G Gundam.

Well, here's the cookie

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Choco_chip_cookie.jpg

But how'd you find out so quickly? 'Cause, if it was google...

http://yugioh.warnerbros.com/images/photos/YGO_Gallery_1.jpg Mind crush!

Speaking of mindcrushing, I'm also watching the original yu-gi-oh. Ya'know, the one with games OTHER than duel monsters.

Yeah, I don't have anything else to say... for now.

Enlong
2008-01-26, 10:56 PM
Wikipedia is your friend. Also, I've seen the anime and have seen the move parodied a bunch, so I just keyed in "Shining finger", and BAM! I just needed to reconfirm which Gundam series it was.

Pagz
2008-01-26, 11:37 PM
I have the Rayquaza, but once I beat the E4 I can trade it off to whoever else might want it to beat the E4, or back to you Pogz if you want it.

[EDIT]: Massacrering them with a Rayquaza while listening to Naruto openings makes them much more bearable. BUT STILL THAT GODDAMN QUAGSIRE. X(Go Rayquaza go!

We may as well use that Rayquaza as the Destroyer of the Elite 4, anyone else who wants to use him can contact the person who has him last. If noone wants it you can always keep it if you want AlterForm.

That Quagsire is full of hax >.>

Twin2
2008-01-26, 11:41 PM
Quagsire was easy enough, just an uxie, give it a berry that negates sleep, and have it know grass knot/nasty plot. Spend the first few two turns nasty plotting, then grass knot for ohkos for most if not all of them (the sudowoodo might be a bit of a problem due to sucker punch but that's about it). I annihilated that team with it.

AlterForm
2008-01-26, 11:47 PM
Go Rayquaza go!

We may as well use that Rayquaza as the Destroyer of the Elite 4, anyone else who wants to use him can contact the person who has him last. If noone wants it you can always keep it if you want AlterForm.

That Quagsire is full of hax >.>

Not "hax". More like "OMGH4X". I swear. 4 protects in a row? RNG my arse.

Slayer, eh?...Into the siggie it goes. :smallwink:

Goblin Music
2008-01-27, 12:46 AM
How is this?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/Fyreye/OotS/pokeBanner.gif

Pagz
2008-01-27, 01:32 AM
How is this?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/Fyreye/OotS/pokeBanner.gifPretty awesome, going on front page!

Enlong
2008-01-27, 01:50 AM
Hey, what do you think of this for a Challenge Team (Note: Team not yet complete, may take a while, and at least one Ditto Breed. Is a dream team.)

Torterra (My starter, a very fun combination of his moves that involve hunkering down with a lot of Curses and then snowballing the enemy)
Wood Hammer
Earthquake
Curse
Leech Seed

Lucario (Almost Special with a little bit of physical, sweeper. Is fun to use.)
Aura Sphere
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Rock Slide

Gardevoir (Special Sweeper. Daughter of my current team's Gengar)
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast

Rhyperior (Surprisingly replacing Rampardos as my Physical Sweeper. Father of a Rampardos to be used later. Moves are FUN and surprisingly effective.)
Stone Edge
Megahorn
Earthquake
Hammer Arm

Drifblim (Baton Passer. Not everything on the team uses Special stats, but everyone likes huge Substitutes)
Substitute
Calm Mind
Baton Pass
Shadow Ball

Bronzong (Drifblim's best friend. Waller/annoyer/inevitable death'r. Need a Ditto do undo my screwup and pass Toxic on to a Bronzor with Levitate instead of Heatproof)
Block
Toxic
Iron Defense
Extrasensory
(In that order)

Question: Can pokemon that are genderless, but can nonetheless breed with Ditto, like Bronzong, pass on TM moves that they know? 'cause I don't want to be stuck with a Bronzong who has 2 Supereffectives against him.

TheBoneSplitter
2008-01-27, 03:14 AM
Ohhh... mudkip. I like Mudkip (first one to do that joke will be shot a Wailord by an orbital cannon).

You sir have crushed all of my dreams and hopes as I have just self-revitalized this newfound glory of funny.

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 10:07 AM
@ Enlong:

It depends on which egg group Bronzong is in (if at all). Lessee...Serebii says its in the "mineral" egg group, which means it can breed with:

Ditto and... uh... ditto. :smallbiggrin:

Pagz
2008-01-27, 10:12 AM
Bronzong cannot pass TM's through breeding...

Gungnir
2008-01-27, 10:17 AM
I don't want to be stuck with a Bronzong who has 2 Supereffectives against him.

Bronzong only only ever weak to one thing. Heatproof halves damage from Fire and Burn, but levitate does seem like the better choice.

Enlong
2008-01-27, 10:33 AM
Bronzong only only ever weak to one thing. Heatproof halves damage from Fire and Burn, but levitate does seem like the better choice.

Yeah. 'swhy I'm so disappointed at myself for not looking at his ability before using up the TM. I'd rather entirely negate one weakness then weaken a weakness.

Mando Knight
2008-01-27, 03:48 PM
A Kanghaskhan set I was thinking about a few days ago was:

Kanghaskhan @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature, EVs: 252 HP, 252 Att, 6 Spd, Early Bird Ability
Moveset:
Outrage
Fire punch
Rest
Sleeptalk

The Fire/Dragon move combo is pretty much what I've got set up on my Charizard... but I should probably change one of his attacks because he currently looks like:

Charizard @ Whatever I Feel Like (generally Charcoal or Leftovers, don't have Flame Plate)
Mild Nature, ~256 Sp Atk, ~256 Spd (not sure on exacts, I think there's a single Def EV in there from battling a Squirtle)
Moves:
Flamethrower
Fire Blast
Blast Burn
Dragon Pulse

He basically burninates everything that's not a Heatran... anyone that Charizard can't handle, I send out Mewtwo to Mind-Crush (currently boosting him to lv. 100 so I can Aura Sphere T'tars that he runs into...).

...maybe Focus Blast would give 'Zard slightly better coverage...

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 04:40 PM
Would anyone trade me a burmy? I'm open to just about any trade in exchange for it.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-27, 05:56 PM
Just asking out of curiousity, what do you guys think is better between these two?

mismagius (mild) ev: not really sure how to tell
psybeam
pain split
confuse ray
shadow ball

or Gengar (naive) ev: no idea
confuse ray
toxic
mean look
shadow ball

The stats are almost identical and they're both at level 40 right now. I'm just not sure which to use.

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 06:11 PM
Hmmmm

Why does Mismagius have psybeam over psychic? For the extra PP?

Looking at the nature/IV matchups, Gengar would get murdalized if he was hit with a psychic move. Mismagius seems to have a better matchup, gaining SA in exchange for D. Personally, I'd give Mismagius psychic over psybeam and take it. But what do I know. :smallbiggrin:

[EDIT]: Identical stats? Hmmm. Probably just preference then.

Pagz
2008-01-27, 06:23 PM
Yeah. 'swhy I'm so disappointed at myself for not looking at his ability before using up the TM. I'd rather entirely negate one weakness then weaken a weakness.Which TM is it? I'd still go and get a levitating bronzong, even if you've already taught it a TM.
Charizard @ Whatever I Feel Like (generally Charcoal or Leftovers, don't have Flame Plate)
Mild Nature, ~256 Sp Atk, ~256 Spd (not sure on exacts, I think there's a single Def EV in there from battling a Squirtle)
Moves:
Flamethrower
Air Slash/Will-o-wisp
Focus Blast
Dragon PulseI'd probably set him up like this. Will-o-wisp is preferred, but if you can't/don't want to use the TM go with Air Slash.

mismagius (mild) ev: not really sure how to tell
psybeam
pain split
confuse ray
shadow ball

or Gengar (naive) ev: no idea
confuse ray
toxic
mean look
shadow ballMismagus is more defensive and Gengar is more of an attacker, it just depends on which one your team needs. Always teach Gengar Shadow ball/Focus Blast though, as there is no pokemon that move combination doesn't hit for neutral :smallamused:, no resists.

Mando Knight
2008-01-27, 06:25 PM
The one that will win will be the one with the (even if only slightly) higher Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, HP, or Speed, unless Toxic or Pain Split can cause a large enough difference.

Shadow Ball will be the main offensive attack for this fight, since its super effective against Ghost types and both have STAB.

Luck will also have a massive role, as a single Critical Hit or -Sp Def effect will make a difference.

You have, however, increased my interest in getting a Mismagius.

EDIT: your Mismagius is better EV trained, judging by the basic stats. I would go with the Gengar, then teach it Psychic and have it battle against a horde of other Gastly-line or Budew-line Pokemon, since those are good sources of Sp. Atk.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-27, 06:44 PM
Stats aren't all completely identical, just in special attack. Mismagius has him in hp, sp. defense (by about 40), but gengar wins in speed (by 18). I'll have to see if I have the tm for psychic, but I think I used it on something else already. My next issue is froslass vs weavile but they aren't at a comparable level yet.

Enlong
2008-01-27, 06:59 PM
Which TM is it? I'd still go and get a levitating bronzong, even if you've already taught it a TM.TM 06. Toxic is a way to ensure death for the foe. Calm Minds, Iron Defenses, and a Substitute from a Drifblim makes him incredibly hard to kill or survive. If you have the TM, and aren't using it, could you trade me?

Pagz
2008-01-27, 07:13 PM
TM 06. Toxic is a way to ensure death for the foe. Calm Minds, Iron Defenses, and a Substitute from a Drifblim makes him incredibly hard to kill or survive. If you have the TM, and aren't using it, could you trade me?This goes for everyone. Since I have Emerald, I can get anyone any TM as long as its under TM50. So yeah, I can give you TM06.

spocko
2008-01-27, 07:21 PM
well, i suppose now i have to dig up where my copy of pearl got put during my last move. grumble. making me make an account for the forums even. :smallbiggrin:

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 07:22 PM
This goes for everyone. Since I have Emerald, I can get anyone any TM as long as its under TM50. So yeah, I can give you TM06.

[EDIT]: List of TMs (http://au.faqs.ign.com/articles/823/823914p1.html)

Quxelopqr
2008-01-27, 07:34 PM
So how do I make a badge? I have an idea in mind but I don't know how to make them.

Pagz
2008-01-27, 07:38 PM
Is this (http://www.serebii.net/xd/tms.shtml) a proper list of all the TMs you can get?Eww serebii. Here (http://au.faqs.ign.com/articles/823/823914p1.html) is a more comprehensive list of TM's and where to get them.

Note to everyone who uses serebii as a main source: Double check everything, serebii has many mistakes. The best place for correct information is Smogon (http://www.smogon.com/).
So how do I make a badge? I have an idea in mind but I don't know how to make them.Go into Paint, make the screen 13x13 pixels, then zoom in to max. Create a badge in that square any style you want. SAVE AS A PDF FILE.
well, i suppose now i have to dig up where my copy of pearl got put during my last move. grumble. making me make an account for the forums even. :smallbiggrin:Welcome to the Forums!

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 07:53 PM
Um, Pagz, I think you mean "save as a PNG file", not "save as a PDF file", especially since paint cannot, by itself, save as a pdf. :smallconfused:

Quxelopqr
2008-01-27, 08:02 PM
Ok it's made, now how do I post it in my sig? I can toss my trainer cards in there once i get my friend code (I can't get my ds to work on the campus' thing).

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 08:09 PM
(I will assume you have no idea what you're doing)

First, you need to upload the image somewhere. A photobucket account (or any other account that lets you upload images and get a url for them) is great for this.

Then, at the top of the forums you'll see a brown bar, with a hyperlink of the left labeled "User CP". Click this to bring up your user profile. Go to edit signature.

Add a bit of code that looks like this:

(img](URL)[/img]

into your signature, substituting (URL) with the url of your uploaded image, and [img] for (img]

Presto, one image-in-a-sig. :smallbiggrin:

Enlong
2008-01-27, 08:12 PM
Thanks for the offer, Pagz. I would certainly like to get a TM06 from you. I suppose I should give you my Code.

2578 1860 4400

Now all we need to do is set up a time.

Pagz
2008-01-27, 08:24 PM
Um, Pagz, I think you mean "save as a PNG file", not "save as a PDF file", especially since paint cannot, by itself, save as a pdf. :smallconfused:Lol, yes thats what I meant, I'm retarded :smallsigh:.

Thanks for the offer, Pagz. I would certainly like to get a TM06 from you. I suppose I should give you my Code.

2578 1860 4400

Now all we need to do is set up a time.I gotta go, but next time I'm on we'll do it, what about same time now tomorrow?

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-27, 08:54 PM
Talk to the TV. Much thanks. Got it last night, ended up with a naughty nature but I don't really care. It's not like I'll be using it.

spocko
2008-01-27, 09:17 PM
Ya. i found my copy. (hiding w/ mario 64 DS and mario cart.....). :smallcool:

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 09:47 PM
Ya. i found my copy. (hiding w/ mario 64 DS and mario cart.....). :smallcool:

Snaker, or non-snaker? :smalltongue:

Quxelopqr
2008-01-27, 09:55 PM
And my badge is in my sig. Now I just need to finish raising this team and figure out how to use wifi on my campus' internet (anyone have any ideas?) so I can trade for the pokerus.

AlterForm
2008-01-27, 09:58 PM
When you try to connect, do you get an error of some sort telling you you need a WEP key? If so, find your admin person and (politely!) ask for it, explaining what you want it for. Otherwise, you have to, uh...pull some cyber shenanigans. :smallwink:

Mando Knight
2008-01-27, 10:15 PM
The DS can't use WEP encryption. It says so on the Nintendo Wifi website. Too bad, since my campus only has WEP...

Twin2
2008-01-27, 10:22 PM
I figure since this is pokemon thread I may as well ask this here. I'm looking over the attacks of cherubi which I'm thinking of using and I see worry seed. Does that thing actually have any effect aside from changing a pokemon's ability?

TheOtherMC
2008-01-27, 11:04 PM
I figure since this is pokemon thread I may as well ask this here. I'm looking over the attacks of cherubi which I'm thinking of using and I see worry seed. Does that thing actually have any effect aside from changing a pokemon's ability?

Nope, but thats the beauty of it. Its both offensive (Stripping the opponent of a very good ability for example) and defensive (popping it on an ally against a sleep heavy foe). Hell you could probably whip up some crazy combo with this and skill swap....

Pagz
2008-01-28, 01:01 AM
Nope, but thats the beauty of it. Its both offensive (Stripping the opponent of a very good ability for example) and defensive (popping it on an ally against a sleep heavy foe). Hell you could probably whip up some crazy combo with this and skill swap....Ehh... Worry seed is suboptimal, especially on a pokemon such as cherrim, whose speed really disadvantages it in this situation. I mean, If i had to choose between leech seed and worry seed, I'd go with leech seed (The only time I'd ever use worry seed is if I had a stall focused pokemon against an opponent I know uses rest, Cressella and Snorlax for instance). His movepool isn't what you'd call the best though, however every team needs its nitch. What would you be using your cherrim for?

tgva8889
2008-01-28, 03:19 AM
Woah, how did I never learn about this thread?

Well, I can't honestly not want to challenge at some point. I have to, you know, get my team all set up first, though.

Could you perhaps create an "Elite 4", too? Just for the extra challenge/I want to be a member of it.

Pagz
2008-01-28, 06:26 AM
Could you perhaps create an "Elite 4", too? Just for the extra challenge/I want to be a member of it.This has come up a bit, so I addressed it on the first post. Also, I've been thinking of implementing a points system, so I posted that there too. Please comment! If everyone doesn't like, I'll change it. It just gives the challengers something to work towards.

EDIT: Also a note to gym leaders: If you give me a phrase for yourself (like how Lt.Surge is "The lightning American"), tell me and I'll put it next to your name on the first page, it'll flavor up the place :smallbiggrin:. Please keep them short, under 6 words sounds like a good limit.

DOUBLE EDIT: 13x13 pixels does seem a little too small for a forum signature now that I look at it that way, should we make them bigger or keep them that size? Look at Quxelopqr signature.

Also Quxelopqr, if you cant get your ds to work on your campus WiFi, does that mean you cannot participate? Or is there alternate means for you to connect.

Goblin Music
2008-01-28, 09:09 AM
Bigger would be nice
How about this for size?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/Fyreye/OotS/FyreyeBadge.gif

Twin2
2008-01-28, 10:40 AM
What would you be using your cherrim for?

Most likely a sunny day/solarbeam build.

Quxelopqr
2008-01-28, 11:58 AM
I think I can participate, I'll just have to bring my nintendo wifi thing from home up here. I'm pretty sure I can use it, since it's a usb thing, and then I'll be able to get into the wifi. I think that's all I need.

Whitewing
2008-01-28, 02:19 PM
Oh fun.

I would love to be a challenger.

Drascin
2008-01-28, 03:01 PM
Good, good, looks like we're getting more victi- err, I mean, challengers :smallbiggrin:.

My own team is almost done - I just need to decide who will be the last pokemon in my lineup - a Special Lucario to patch up that horrible weakness to physical walls, or Cradily as a backup tank?

Bigger would be nice
How about this for size?
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg99/Fyreye/OotS/FyreyeBadge.gif

That size looks pretty valid - enough for a challenger to be able to put the eight badges in his sig in two rows of four without being bothersome.

Oh, and Pagz, for my "Title", I would probably settle for something like "The Laughing Rock", as a triple-meaning - a pun on the Eldar Laughing God, a description of my team in a nutshell, and a fairly accurate description of my personality - impassible but always ready to crack a smile or a laugh at something good. Yes, I think it fits.

Timarvay
2008-01-28, 05:25 PM
Just got Pearl a couple days ago. I could use a trade partner once I can get wifi to work, as I have a machoke and haunter to evolve.

Bunny of Faith
2008-01-28, 05:30 PM
Right, I'll go for being a challenger. Just need to sort out a suitable team...

Pagz
2008-01-28, 06:19 PM
That looks like a good size Goblin Music, anyone making a badge try to keep it that size.

Doesn't anyone have an opinion of the points system?

AlterForm
2008-01-28, 06:23 PM
What points system? :smallconfused:

Pagz
2008-01-28, 06:30 PM
This has come up a bit, so I addressed it on the first post. Also, I've been thinking of implementing a points system, so I posted that there too. Please comment! If everyone doesn't like, I'll change it. It just gives the challengers something to work towards.Everyone look at the bottom of the first post.

AlterForm
2008-01-28, 06:34 PM
Ah, that looks really good. Now I'm very tempted to make UU team. :smallbiggrin:

Quxelopqr
2008-01-28, 07:05 PM
I'm not familiar with UU, but otherwise I like the point system.

New question that just crossed my mind, if we end up making a second set of gyms, could a leader make a team to challenge them? That'd be interesting, or we could have the leaders face off. And get points. Lots of points :smallbiggrin:

Pagz
2008-01-28, 07:31 PM
I'm not familiar with UU, but otherwise I like the point system.

New question that just crossed my mind, if we end up making a second set of gyms, could a leader make a team to challenge them? That'd be interesting, or we could have the leaders face off. And get points. Lots of points :smallbiggrin:Since both the leagues end up with the same Champion, Leaders would eventually have to battle themselves. Gym leaders can certainly battle each other and receive badges if they wish, but they really have no need for points.

I'd also ask challengers to only post entries when the first gym leader finishes training. Please refer to the first post on how to register.

It's good to see this thread is coming along nicely!

Also Gungnir, do you have a team yet? I don't think you actually posted a final list.

Gym leader applicants for Korias' position will now begin.

Suggested types (you'll have more of a chance if you use one of these types): Ground, Bug, Fire, Flying and Poison.

You will not be considered if you use any one of these types: Dark, Psychic.

This will last four days, the person to post the best gym leader team will get the position.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-28, 07:47 PM
Wow, college has really beaten my free time into a bloody pulp...hopefully I should be able to finalize my team with weekend and...oh dear, it occurs to me that I need to check something.

Mando Knight
2008-01-28, 08:00 PM
I'm volunteering for a Dragon/Flying gym...
I'll let you know by tomorrow whether my current idea for Nintendo Wifi access will work.

I'll need to train my team, of course (except I've already got one down and two dragons at ~30...), but I'm thinking of something like this:

Charizard <-This is the one I've got trained, mostly
Dragonite <-Currently a Dragonair
Garchomp <-Currently a Gabite
Salamence
Flygon
Skarmory
Aerodactyl
Kingdra (if I can find a trader...)
Gyarados

Pagz
2008-01-28, 08:21 PM
Charizard <-This is the one I've got trained, mostly
Dragonite <-Currently a Dragonair
Garchomp <-Currently a Gabite
Salamence
Flygon
Skarmory
Aerodactyl
Kingdra (if I can find a trader...)
GyaradosFlygon seems redundant with Garchomp there. Might I suggest Yanmega instead? It'd certainly give your team a lot more coverage in the special attack department.
Most likely a sunny day/solarbeam build.Hmm... I'd probably use:

Cherrim @ heatrock
Modest, 252 sp.A, 252 sp.Def
Moveset:
Sunny day
Solar beam
Hidden power (fire)/Toxic
Protect/Leech seed

Cherrim just doesn't have that many options... however I'd probably use him like this. Where it has "/" is just whichever is your preference.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-28, 08:46 PM
I did think about other type combinations for my gym, but fire and dark have more of my favourite Pokemon in them. Yay for getting in early! :smallsmile:

Nearly finished training my Houndoom.

GryffonDurime
2008-01-28, 09:12 PM
Heheh, my school's wifi does indeed still support my DS!

As for my name, I'd like to be Gryff, the Winter Gardener.

Mando Knight
2008-01-28, 10:27 PM
Flygon seems redundant with Garchomp there. Might I suggest Yanmega instead? It'd certainly give your team a lot more coverage in the special attack department.

Yeah, I put Flygon in there for the Dragon-type synergy... but Yanma was easier for me to catch (didn't have to dust off the Gameshark or hunt for hours with the PokeRadar...), and his stats are decent.

Anyone willing to trade me a Seadra back and forth so I don't have to yoink someone else's DS and do the trade between my own games? Another trade-evolution would be preferred. It'll be a while, my Ditto has to have time to hump the Horsea that has a nature I don't want, and then I'll have to bump the baby up to a Seadra...

AlterForm
2008-01-28, 10:32 PM
Yeah, I put Flygon in there for the Dragon-type synergy... but Yanma was easier for me to catch (didn't have to dust off the Gameshark or hunt for hours with the PokeRadar...), and his stats are decent.

Anyone willing to trade me a Seadra back and forth so I don't have to yoink someone else's DS and do the trade between my own games? Another trade-evolution would be preferred. It'll be a while, my Ditto has to have time to hump the Horsea that has a nature I don't want, and then I'll have to bump the baby up to a Seadra...

You think you're waiting on pokesex? I've hatched no less than two dozen chimchars looking for one with the nature I wanted. I once had to wait almost 2000 steps for a new egg to show up; I thought maybe my female had, uh, had too much. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm thinking about submitting a ground/flying gym (Go, Gliscor!), so I'll post that eventually.

Twin2
2008-01-28, 10:33 PM
Edit: Just realized it'll take a while for you. Whenever you need it done shoot me a call. My friend code is

2706 9283 8028

tgva8889
2008-01-29, 12:53 AM
You think you're waiting on pokesex? I've hatched no less than two dozen chimchars looking for one with the nature I wanted. I once had to wait almost 2000 steps for a new egg to show up; I thought maybe my female had, uh, had too much. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'm thinking about submitting a ground/flying gym (Go, Gliscor!), so I'll post that eventually.

You kidding? It took me at least 100 Scyther eggs to get an Admant one. Probably more. To prove it, I leveled one of my pokemon from level 50 to level 62 trying to get an Admant Scyther.

I'm still deciding what team I want to participate with. Probably Steel/Psychic. Which eliminates me from being a leader, but hey, whatever.

Pagz
2008-01-29, 02:32 AM
I'm still deciding what team I want to participate with. Probably Steel/Psychic. Which eliminates me from being a leader, but hey, whatever.Challengers do not need themed teams...

tgva8889
2008-01-29, 02:51 AM
Challengers do not need themed teams...

Oh, right. Oops. Well, whatever. That just makes deciding on my pokemon a whole lot easier...

On the other hand, it's nowhere even close to level 100. More like 4 of them are non-existent and the other two are level 1. I suppose I'd better get cracking.

Pagz
2008-01-29, 03:07 AM
Oh, right. Oops. Well, whatever. That just makes deciding on my pokemon a whole lot easier...

On the other hand, it's nowhere even close to level 100. More like 4 of them are non-existent and the other two are level 1. I suppose I'd better get cracking.WiFi boosts all pokemon to level 100... You only need them EV trained and with the moves you want.

EDIT: Answer to the post under me is "ya-huh".

tgva8889
2008-01-29, 03:45 AM
WiFi boosts all pokemon to level 100... You only need them EV trained and with the moves you want.

Does it really? That's a nice feature.

But yeah, still need to do all that other stuff, like actually get the pokemon.

Edit: For the legendary limit...that's for stuff like the Legendary Birds/Beasts, the Regis, etc., yes?

Wabbajack
2008-01-29, 11:19 AM
If there's still a free leader position i would gladly be an Poison/Bug leader. And yes, i know that bug and poison are the crappiest types of all, but it is a good challange to make a good team out of them^^

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 12:26 PM
Well, my Horsea has started its baby-maker...

Hatched one and got two others in the space of a half-hour...

Go, Horsea, go! **** that Ditto! Yeah!

AlterForm
2008-01-29, 07:19 PM
The Ground/Flying team I said I'd post:

Gliscor (Main)
Dugtrio
Skarmory
Steelix
Swampert
Garchomp
Ninjask
Yanmega
Mamoswine

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 07:57 PM
Unfortunately, my Wifi work-around is not working, so I can't be a gym leader right now. :smallfrown:

...I need to find an unprotected Wifi hotspot somewhere...

AlterForm
2008-01-29, 08:53 PM
Something neat I found.

A trainer card maker. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/

Twin2
2008-01-29, 08:59 PM
Anyone here wouldn't happen to have the tm for ice beam up for trade would they?

Quxelopqr
2008-01-29, 09:11 PM
I don't have it right now, but ice beam can be bought at the game corner for around 10000 coins if you need it and no one can trade.

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 09:12 PM
Something neat I found.

A trainer card maker. :smallbiggrin:

http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/

Aww... they don't have Lance of the Kanto Elite 4!

Twin2: did you try breeding those who naturally learn it? That's often an easy way to extend the mileage of a TM...

Twin2
2008-01-29, 09:22 PM
Twin2: did you try breeding those who naturally learn it? That's often an easy way to extend the mileage of a TM...

Does that work? I've never really had much experience with breeding moves.

tgva8889
2008-01-29, 09:26 PM

If the male pokemon knows a TM move, and the pokemon that would hatch out of the egg could learn that TM, it will know it. No, I'm not certain how that makes any sense, but take advantage of it and profit :smallwink:

Twin2
2008-01-29, 09:28 PM
If the male pokemon knows a TM move, and the pokemon that would hatch out of the egg could learn that TM, it will know it. No, I'm not certain how that makes any sense, but take advantage of it and profit :smallwink:

Does it work with females as well?

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 09:37 PM

Yes, it does, and it's kind of easy to do.

1. Make sure you use the TM on a male Pokemon, they determine the egg moves

2. Take a female with the same egg group and can learn the move through the TM or egg move.

3. Stick 'em in the Pokemon sex machine day care and run around a while. Poketch app #9 can help.

4. Get the Egg. Hatch the Egg.

If you need the move on a Pokemon that is of a completely different egg group from the original male:

5. Repeat 3 & 4 until you have a male Pokemon out of this

6. Take your new baby and check if it is a Pokemon that can breed (Pichu, Cleffa, etc. can't breed and must evolve).

7. Find a female of the final recipient of the move, then repeat 3 & 4 with the new pair.

8. Hatch your egg, train the baby, repeat with new breeding chains if necessary.

I've done this with Earthquake, Drill Peck, and Silver Wind before, and am considering doing it for putting Dragon Rush on a Salamence.

Pagz
2008-01-29, 10:13 PM
Twin2: did you try breeding those who naturally learn it? That's often an easy way to extend the mileage of a TM...Just to clarify, a pokemon who naturally learns a TM (eg. Ice beam) breeds with a pokemon who doesn't naturally learn Ice beam but can learn Ice beam, will pass the move? IIRC, it doesn't work that way, can someone link a confirmation? If it is true, it could save me a bit of time.

We could always have the guy who has AR to give us TM's for something he wants :smallsmile:, I think it was Gungnir.

Twin2
2008-01-29, 10:19 PM
Just to clarify, a pokemon who naturally learns a TM (eg. Ice beam) breeds with a pokemon who doesn't naturally learn Ice beam but can learn Ice beam, will pass the move? IIRC, it doesn't work that way, can someone link a confirmation? If it is true, it could save me a bit of time.

We could always have the guy who has AR to give us TM's for something he wants :smallsmile:, I think it was Gungnir.

Yea it works, just hatched a psyduck with icebeam off of the one I originally taught it. Thought it also has waterfall so now I need to find the guy who gets rid of hms. :smallsigh:

Pagz
2008-01-29, 10:55 PM
Yea it works, just hatched a psyduck with icebeam off of the one I originally taught it. Thought it also has waterfall so now I need to find the guy who gets rid of hms. :smallsigh:Taught it with a TM? I mean a pokemon who learns a TM naturally, who passes it to a pokemon who doesn't learn it naturally but can as a TM.

Mando Knight
2008-01-29, 11:07 PM
Taught it with a TM? I mean a pokemon who learns a TM naturally, who passes it to a pokemon who doesn't learn it naturally but can as a TM.

Yes. Any move that a Pokemon can learn through a TM can be passed through breeding, and the game does not differentiate between TM moves and TM moves earned by level-up.

Also, some not-TM moves can also be passed through eggs, like Belly Drum (which is a popular use for Charizards, though I don't like it).

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-30, 06:05 AM
Finished training my Houndoom! :smallsmile:

And Pagz, anything you want in exchange for a Rest TM? My wifi access is a bit dodgy at the moment, but I should be able to connect sometime during the next few days.

Pagz
2008-01-30, 09:22 AM
Finished training my Houndoom! :smallsmile:

And Pagz, anything you want in exchange for a Rest TM? My wifi access is a bit dodgy at the moment, but I should be able to connect sometime during the next few days.

I'll trade you Rest for a Munchlax?

YOU ATE MY BRAIN ZOMG *IS RABIES*
Something neat I found.$

A trainer card maker.

http://www.pokecharms.com/trainercards/I say we should make custom trainer badges due to the sizes of our badges. If I have free time in the next few days, I'll try and make one signature friendly :smallbiggrin:

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-30, 08:12 PM
I'll trade you Rest for a Munchlax?

YOU ATE MY BRAIN ZOMG *IS RABIES* BRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

I mean, getting a Munchlax should be no problem as I have both Snorlax and Full Incense. :smalltongue:

Pagz
2008-01-30, 10:30 PM
BRAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINS!

I mean, getting a Munchlax should be no problem as I have both Snorlax and Full Incense. :smalltongue:Then actually, could I just have a baby Snorlax? I don't know why they keep evolving/devolving pokemon that don't need it...

Quilfish evolution ftw.

DarkLightDragon
2008-01-31, 01:12 AM
Then actually, could I just have a baby Snorlax? I don't know why they keep evolving/devolving pokemon that don't need it...

Quilfish evolution ftw. Sure. I don't get the Quilfish thing, though.

spocko
2008-01-31, 09:16 PM
Ok, i'm trying to IV train(somewhat) and move breed my team, but i'm having a problem w/ losing the move i'm trying to breed in, help? is there anyway to keep from losing a move in the day care, or do i level it Way up before breeding with it?

thanks for the answers

Spock

Twin2
2008-01-31, 09:23 PM
Ok, i'm trying to IV train(somewhat) and move breed my team, but i'm having a problem w/ losing the move i'm trying to breed in, help? is there anyway to keep from losing a move in the day care, or do i level it Way up before breeding with it?

thanks for the answers

Spock

Yea high level will prevent that, or you could try using the move deleter to get rid of any unneeded moves on the guy to give yourself a buffer of some sort.

Mando Knight
2008-02-01, 02:45 AM
It's possible that the Pokemon you're trying to breed moves into just can't learn the move through eggs. For example, you cannot breed Earthquake or Hyper Beam into a Nidoran because only the full evolutions of that line can access the move. Same goes for any flying move and Charizard or Salamence (except maybe Aerial Ace...).

Also, limit the number of pass-on-able moves on the male. The baby will always begin with its species' level 1 moves, and any egg moves are added on after that. For example, don't use a male Kingdra with Surf, Brine, Hydro Pump and Ice Beam when trying to pass on Brine to a Squirtle, as the Squirtle may inherit any three of the four moves.

tgva8889
2008-02-01, 03:19 AM
It's possible that the Pokemon you're trying to breed moves into just can't learn the move through eggs. For example, you cannot breed Earthquake or Hyper Beam into a Nidoran because only the full evolutions of that line can access the move. Same goes for any flying move and Charizard or Salamence (except maybe Aerial Ace...).

Also, limit the number of pass-on-able moves on the male. The baby will always begin with its species' level 1 moves, and any egg moves are added on after that. For example, don't use a male Kingdra with Surf, Brine, Hydro Pump and Ice Beam when trying to pass on Brine to a Squirtle, as the Squirtle may inherit any three of the four moves.

Actually, the Squirte would inherit all moves it could possibly inherit, overrighting the starting moves. If it could inherit the entire moveset of the father, the child will.

DarkLightDragon
2008-02-01, 03:41 AM
Finally finished EV training Absol... Now gotta level it up...

spocko
2008-02-01, 07:32 PM

not the problem i was having, but thanks. :) the move can be transfered (anyone want an ok chimchar w/ thunder punch and fire punch? i have ~30, still trying to make an Uber IV one :( )

obvious pun
2008-02-01, 08:02 PM
*sighs* If only I wasn't so lazy, then I'd probably train my team. And I still have to catch a magnemite and rhyhorn. And I still have to breed my yanma for modest nature/ speed boost ability. And my khangaskan or whatever I chose as my sixth pokemon still needs training. I did choose khangaskan, right? I'll have to check my earlier post. And I should probably grow abunchamunchacruncha berries that reduce stats to retrain my blaziken. And, finally, my milotic still hasn't learned the last move I wanted it too. Not only that (Did I say "finally" back up there? Forget that.) but training makes me neglect my other games/ videos that "need" watching/ hatred of the X-box for being made of pure unfathomable evil... no, wait, I hate it even when I'm training.

Hmmm... if I learned to play the DS with my feet... and surgically removed one of my eyes so that one is watching youtube while the eye socket one is being used for Fire Emblem watching... and my hands are... no, it would never work.

Funny message proclaiming this post has ended... for now.

Pagz
2008-02-02, 06:33 PM
The Ground/Flying team I said I'd post:

Gliscor (Main)
Dugtrio
Skarmory
Steelix
Swampert
Garchomp
Ninjask
Yanmega
MamoswineAlterForm, you are now a Gym Leader, taking Korias' place. I suggest you start training up! :smallbiggrin:

How's everyone going? It's been a little stagnant here lately, but I guess thats partly my fault since I haven't really been around (having girl issues >.> ).

I'm still training my team too, it just seems to take forever! Well... that and I seem to be a little too perfectionist with IV's, maybe I should be a little more lenient?

Timarvay
2008-02-02, 09:23 PM
Is it possible to get pokemon on the GTS if you don't have them in your pokedex as seen?

Also, are Exegutor, Hitmonchan, and Mr.Mime viable choices for a team? What would they be best used for?

DarkLightDragon
2008-02-02, 10:04 PM
I won't be able to trade with you after all, Pagz. You were offline when I had wifi access. Sorry.

I'll stay a Gym Leader, though. my wifi should be fixed before all my Pokemon are trained.

Speaking of trained, I am very close to finishing with Absol.

Quxelopqr
2008-02-02, 10:12 PM
My training's going alright, I have almost half done with ev's, but actual levels are still low.

AlterForm
2008-02-02, 10:29 PM
Question: Does Evasion Clause ban offensive accuracy-altering moves as well as defensive accuracy-altering moves?

Pagz
2008-02-02, 10:46 PM
I won't be able to trade with you after all, Pagz. You were offline when I had wifi access. Sorry.

I'll stay a Gym Leader, though. my wifi should be fixed before all my Pokemon are trained.

Speaking of trained, I am very close to finishing with Absol.Thats ok, I'll just train him last :smallsmile:.

Although if anyone else has a Snorlax/Munchlax and is willing to trade an egg to me, I'd be deeply appreciative!
Question: Does Evasion Clause ban offensive accuracy-altering moves as well as defensive accuracy-altering moves?It does.

Dhavaer
2008-02-02, 10:52 PM
I finally caught all the Regis in Ruby!

This isn't actually relevant, but I wanted to celebrate and this seemed like the best place. Damn catch rate of 3.

DarkLightDragon
2008-02-02, 11:12 PM
Grats to Dhaver. I have Relicanth but can't be bothered getting Wailord. Needing those two makes no sense, and I have no desire to spend hours to get an ugly Pokemon.

I guess Accupressure is banned also? I'm not going to use it anyway, but it would make sense to ban it as it can raise accuracy and evasion.

AlterForm
2008-02-02, 11:15 PM
Pagz, I can trade you a freshly hatched snorlax, just gimme about 30 minutes from this post a day or so. If you have a spare swinub or piloswine, that'd save me some hassle. :smallbiggrin:

Pagz
2008-02-03, 03:54 AM
I guess Accupressure is banned also? I'm not going to use it anyway, but it would make sense to ban it as it can raise accuracy and evasion.Accupressure isn't banned.

I'll try and catch me one of those AlterForm!

The Duskblade
2008-02-03, 05:24 AM
Out of interest is anyone willing to trade me an evvee? I haven't got the most complete list, but if there is something you want from pearl I'll try track it down for you.

Oh and once I get all my Pokemon over the lvl 50 bump I'm in.

Bunny of Faith
2008-02-03, 10:33 AM
Looking through my computer for a suitable team, and just wondering how good the following pokemon are:

Electivire,
Empolen,
Celebi,
Froslass,
Pidgeot
Magmortar.