PDA

View Full Version : Perform: Whistling [For the Bard]

Neftren
2008-01-13, 11:10 AM
Would this be at all feasible...? It would free up the hands to say... wield a weapon, but if I were to maintain my bardic song...

Emperor Demonking
2008-01-13, 11:12 AM
Its perfectly fine, I don't see where thier could be any doubt.

Neftren
2008-01-13, 11:25 AM
Well here's what I'm thinking... lets say I'm going to maintain my bardic song, then use a Belt of Battle to gain an extra standard action or something. If I all of a sudden decide to cast a spell with a verbal component, the bardic song goes kaput.

Signmaker
2008-01-13, 11:57 AM
Could be considered a subdivision of Perform:Sing, if your DM is really peckish.

shadow_archmagi
2008-01-13, 12:03 PM
Well here's what I'm thinking... lets say I'm going to maintain my bardic song, then use a Belt of Battle to gain an extra standard action or something. If I all of a sudden decide to cast a spell with a verbal component, the bardic song goes kaput.

Then make sure your bard knows language: Morse Code so he can WHISTLE the verbal component.

UglyPanda
2008-01-13, 12:10 PM
The Melodic Casting feat from Complete Mage allows you to cast spells and use magic items without ending the song. You could also use Lingering Song from Complete Adventurer to make songs last twice as long after you've stopped or get that +1 weapon enchantment (I can't remember the name) from the Magic Item Compendium that continues your song for 10 rounds.
Perform (Whistling) doesn't seem too different from Perform (Storytelling), Perform (Singing), Perform (Poetry), etc. None of which allow you to cast spells while performing by RAW.

Neftren
2008-01-13, 12:27 PM
Then make sure your bard knows language: Morse Code so he can WHISTLE the verbal component.

Would that even work...? Or maybe if I were a Ghostwise Halfling and used the Silent Communication ability to telepathically utter the verbal component.

ocato
2008-01-13, 12:40 PM
Harmonizing is what you are thinking of. It's very nice, especially on a Crystal Echo blade from the Magic Item Compendium.

As for the original problem, I must agree that Melodic Casting is your solution of choice, as it also lets you make a perform check in place of a concentration check. So you can whistle, cast in mid-peril, swash, buckle, and so on.

Attilargh
2008-01-13, 12:41 PM
I think whistling falls under "Perform: Wind Instruments".

LibraryOgre
2008-01-13, 01:08 PM
You could always take a cue from my ex-wife.

When she was getting one of her tattoos, she was chanting through it.... mostly an OMMMMM.... but when he hit a particularly sensitive place, it became OMMMMMMMmother*******MMMMMMMMM

Ne0
2008-01-13, 01:23 PM
The Silent spell feat, perhaps?

Or just take the bard variant without spellcasting...

mikeejimbo
2008-01-13, 03:15 PM
Bard spells cannot be silenced, though.

You know, in retrospect, I should have taken an instrument for my latest bard. He's not going to wield weapons much, after all. Originally, I was worried about not being able to have my instrument, but that's what the spell "Summon Instrument" is for.

Oh well. He's also got Wizard levels (It's a gestalt campaign.), so I should take Silent Spell and cast Wizard silenced Wizard spells while singing. (I don't have access to Complete Mage, or else I'd take Melodious Casting)

Thomix
2008-01-13, 03:34 PM
There is a PrC for Whistling Bard, if I remember corectly

Neftren
2008-01-13, 08:13 PM
The Silent spell feat, perhaps?

Or just take the bard variant without spellcasting...

Two things. Metamagic cannot be applied to Spontaneous Spells. Bard = Spontaneous Spellcaster.

Second Thing: I'm in the Swiftblade PrC at the moment. I need a Feat that will let me use my Wand of True Strike, cast spells and swing my rapier around at the same time. I suppose Melodic whatever does it for me? I don't have C. Mage yet.

Fishy
2008-01-13, 08:40 PM
Two things. Metamagic cannot be applied to Spontaneous Spells. Bard = Spontaneous Spellcaster.

It can (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats), it just turns the spell into a full-round-action. Which is usually not worth it.

SilentNight
2008-01-13, 08:49 PM
If whistling fails o clear the DM gauntlet then you could try perform(scat).

Wordmiser
2008-01-13, 09:07 PM
There is a PrC for Whistling Bard, if I remember corectly Here's (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20061121a) one.

It can, it just turns the spell into a full-round-action. Which is usually not worth it.Bards explicitly can't use Silent Spell so that doesn't matter all that much.

[edit:]Forgot the stupid link...