PDA

View Full Version : Slight balance question:

SoD
2008-01-13, 01:36 PM
I've talked it through with my DM, to change the orcs stat modifiers. But, to be honest, he's new to DnD, and I'm no veteran either.

Instead of str +4, int -2, wis -2, cha -2
I've suggested str +4, int -4, cha -2.

Does this seem balanced?

If not: My reasoning was that half orcs are generally considered weaker and smarter than full-blood orcs, but stronger and dumber than full-blood humans.

Personally, I've never thought that they deserve the penalty to wisdom...but I'm not here to argue about that.

Any ideas on what could fairly get rid of the penalty to wisdom (prefurably with an additional penalty to int)?

Irreverent Fool
2008-01-13, 01:47 PM
I don't think so. Strength is a valuable asset. Orcs one of a very very few races that get a +4 modifier to an ability score without a level adjustment, and the only race in any of the core books like that.

While your net penalties are the same, if you change the modifiers in this way for orcs think of what that means for the campaign world. I feel the wisdom penalty reflects the orcs brutal nature, take that away and there's really no reason you wouldn't see civilized tribes of orcs with clerics or wildling orc druids, etc. Granted, nothing stops them from taking these paths, but it seems it might be more widespread.

Balance-wise, I don't think it's a good idea only because it makes orc-CoDzillas powerful.

SoD
2008-01-13, 01:53 PM
My reasoning was that half orcs are generally considered weaker and smarter than full-blood orcs, but stronger and dumber than full-blood humans.

Personally, I've never thought that they deserve the penalty to wisdom...but I'm not here to argue about that.

Any ideas on what could fairly get rid of the penalty to wisdom?

Actually, on hindsight I should put this in the first post...

Yakk
2008-01-13, 03:36 PM
Str+2 Int-2 Cha-2?

Rad
2008-01-13, 03:39 PM
Setting all the flavor aside (this is a balance issue, right?) Int is a stat that orcs will likely not need at all unless you want a ranger or some kind of wilderness-savy orc, while -1 to the already (likely) low Will save hurts; so I don't think that's going to be a fair trade, especially if you plan to get a 2+Int skill points per level class, as would be likely. Int 8 = 1 skill point/lvl and Int 6 = 1 skill point per level. No difference at all.

If you really want to get rid of their Wis penalty (but orcs do strike me as a do first, then think race) I think that lowering the strength bonus to +2 would be fair

Your turn.

Spiryt
2008-01-13, 04:00 PM
My reasoning was that half orcs are generally considered weaker and smarter than full-blood orcs, but stronger and dumber than full-blood humans.

I don't get your reasoning. If you think that they "don't deserve" low wisdom, why you think that they deserve to be complete idiots? (-4 to intelligence)
Of course that can be your concept of orcs, I dont know.

Anyway what do you think about :

+4 to strenght
+ 2 to constitution
+ Powerful Charge (2)

-2 to intelligence
-2 to charisma

+1 level adjustment

Some who is good at it can say if it's balanced.

Rad
2008-01-14, 06:13 AM
What is Powrful Charge?
I'd give them Powerful Build, now that you made me think about that

Bosh
2008-01-14, 06:20 AM
Let me guess, you want to play an orc that is a wis-based caster? ;)

Ashes
2008-01-14, 06:29 AM

Eberron Orcs FTW!

Satyr
2008-01-14, 06:34 AM
Monater races are normally designed to be much worse than the traditional PC races. I think that even if you would just drop the WIS penalty, your Orkl would still not be en par with a human or a dwarf. Strength is only really important for melee fighters, and melee fighters in D&D are among the weakest characters around.

SoD
2008-01-14, 09:29 AM

No, actually. I've never actually played as an orc before, and if I did I'd probably take a melee character.

I just feel that looking at it...Ogres don't get a penalty to wisdom, so why do orcs?

Spiryt
2008-01-14, 11:19 AM
What is Powrful Charge?
I'd give them Powerful Build, now that you made me think about that

Poweful charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#powerfulCharge)

And powerfull build allows you to use bigger weapon yes? If so - maybe it is some idea, however I don't find idea of orc running around with too big weapons vey appealing... Since I had seen Cloud, I'm allergic.