PDA

View Full Version : Starships of the Galaxy: Templates question

Rafe
2008-01-13, 02:04 PM
This is a question about the Junker and Archaic templates. Are the cost modifiers for those modifying the used price or the original price? By its very definition, it doesn't make much sense that an archaic ship would be new (ie, original price) and a junker implies a cobbled-together, second-hand ship.

My impulse is to apply the cost modifiers against the used price listings. (Actually, I just noticed that the Junker template has no cost modification which seems ridiculous...)

Thoughts?

TheThan
2008-01-13, 03:42 PM
my copy of starships of the galaxy is buried under a pile of other D20 books and i don't feel like excavating it at the moment. (Will when i get my new bookshelf together.) but my gut tells me to apply it to the used price as well.

Mando Knight
2008-01-13, 07:35 PM
The text for the Archaic Ship template says that you use the original price, but I'd say that if it's "used," you take 50% of the used price... i.e. if the owner was the granny who only flew it between the planets of the Corellian system and had it undergo maintenance fairly regularly, it would be 50% of the original price and not be "used," but if it were second-hand from the guy who only replaced the coolant when the ship ran too hot or jumped around the Kessel run a couple dozen times without recalibrating the hyperdrive, then it would be 50% of the "used" price, and come to the buyer in the "used" condition.

Also, you'll rarely find a TYE-wing that's not in bad shape, so you could say that any junker that the characters find is "used" and thus cost less. You could also houserule that a junker is worthless enough that anyone selling it would give the buyers a 10% discount off of the "used" price, just so they can get rid of it.

The examples they give in the book aren't too helpful... a TIE is already one of the most common and cheapest fighters in the galaxy, so a TYE-wing won't be that much different in price. The Archaic heavy cruiser's base craft can't be purchased normally anyway, so the only price we have is its Black Market price for a used ship.

...Which gets me thinking, what kind of modifications are on the Ebon Hawk? How would it fare against a stock ship of the Rise of the Empire era, after giving it the Archaic template?

Here's my stumper: is a hangar a nonstandard upgrade for a colossal (frigate) vessel like the Corellian Corvette? I've been toying with an idea for a highly illegal Corvette owned and operated by an NPC crew, and the captain of the vessel being an ex-Imperial who hires the PCs to help him in spec-ops missions about half a year after Hoth.

Rafe
2008-01-14, 06:32 AM
The text for the Archaic Ship template says that you use the original price, but I'd say that if it's "used," you take 50% of the used price... i.e. if the owner was the granny who only flew it between the planets of the Corellian system and had it undergo maintenance fairly regularly, it would be 50% of the original price and not be "used," but if it were second-hand from the guy who only replaced the coolant when the ship ran too hot or jumped around the Kessel run a couple dozen times without recalibrating the hyperdrive, then it would be 50% of the "used" price, and come to the buyer in the "used" condition.

Makes sense to me that it would be dependent on the circumstances.

The examples they give in the book aren't too helpful... a TIE is already one of the most common and cheapest fighters in the galaxy, so a TYE-wing won't be that much different in price. The Archaic heavy cruiser's base craft can't be purchased normally anyway, so the only price we have is its Black Market price for a used ship.

Exactly! That was my issue. Also, 50% of the black market price is 100% of normal price (if Restricted). NOT HELPFUL. :smallfrown: Odd, though, that a Junker wouldn't have a cost modification. I would say it costs 10% of the original price or 70% of the used.

...Which gets me thinking, what kind of modifications are on the Ebon Hawk? How would it fare against a stock ship of the Rise of the Empire era, after giving it the Archaic template?

That's precisely what prompted me to ask, actually. I was looking at the Dynamic-class Freighter which was only in operation circa 5,000 BBY.

I'm thinking of keeping the cost modification to Archaic, and making a Junker cost be 10% of original price of the core vehicle (if there is one) or 70% used price of the core vehicle. Could also average the vehicles that were gludged together to get the 'core' price if there is no main vehicle.

It was such a great idea to have templates in there, but I wish they'd had a separate chapter for Stock ships and Templates.