PDA

View Full Version : Your best moments with illusions

Zenos
2008-01-13, 03:20 PM
So, has your bard or illusionist done a memorable moment of illusionism? Just post 'em here.

Personaly,ECL 6, I was playing a bard, my brother was playing a generalist wizard with a pyromaniac personality. We were wandering through the woods in search of some kobolds who had destroyed a village. Then some ogres ambushed us. About six of them. It seemed we were in a tight spot. Then my Bard used an illusion spell to fake summoning eight fiendish trolls. Several of the ogres fled. Some attacked us but with the spells grease and the wizards scorching ray we killed them. Fried them in lard, in fact.

Kantolin
2008-01-13, 03:30 PM
I was in a PvP game where, in one of the skirmishes, the enemy sorceror watched me cast (and correctly identified) major image - the major image of a vat of acid.

Finding this amusing, he stepped into it. Upon which he discovered that I'd placed the illusion of a vat of acid where there was a thin sheet of ground that covered a very much real vat of acid.

Amused me to no end. Sorceror's player found it incredibly funny after the fact.

Yeril
2008-01-13, 03:31 PM
Best illusionary trap ever

Basicly a pit against a wall that has an illusion of a room behind it, They try to jump it, SMACK and FALL!

mikeejimbo
2008-01-13, 03:32 PM
Another player summoned fire elementals, and I made illusions of a number more fire elementals, to continue to confuse the enemy.

Forrestfire
2008-01-13, 04:29 PM

Basicly a pit against a wall that has an illusion of a room behind it, They try to jump it, SMACK and FALL!

I've had something like that as well

It was an illusion that made it look like there was a pit infront of us, with another illusion of solid floor over a pit that was directly behind the illusion of the pit.

Unpleasant Mule
2008-01-13, 04:35 PM
My character found the picture of a creature on some ancient ruin walls that was so horrific that it made any who saw it to have to succeed a Fort DC50 or immediately crap themselves in fear while rooted to a spot. (There were other creatures, but the effect on this one was the most amusing.) I make a note of copying every creatures in ruins into a book for later reference.
Some time goes by and the party is eventually faced with a grand-scale battle. We must aid in the protection of a small town against a portion of the country's army. It's around 10 to 1. We're pretty balled.
However, me guy remembering the effect of the picture, casts a blown-up illusion of it before the enemy troops. Needless to say, after that, they were willing to negotiate first.
And as a side note, epic 20 on that Diplomacy. Guess who's working for ME now, bi-atch! :smallamused:

You have no idea how grateful I was that they were mostly standing on farmland... The cleanup... :smalleek:

axraelshelm
2008-01-13, 06:22 PM
piloting a tower size golem using my wizard and did a mirror image that worked on the golem aswell the giant skeleton was very confused because it also maximsed the spell. Golum squad!!!

Bag_of_Holding
2008-01-13, 07:17 PM
While being chased by a group of mercenaries (hurling fireballs to boot), my beguiler used Friend to Foe spell to make them see each other as their worst enemies.

Yeah, we really enjoyed the scene you know.

SilentNight
2008-01-13, 09:28 PM
Once when I was DMing my players stumbled into a room that trapped them in. A handy note told them that it was air-tight courtesy of the BBEG and to enjoy their last moments before they suffocated. However this was just a poke by the BBEG and one of the walls was in fact an illusion. For some reason though in stead of search in for secret doors the party decided to drink themselves to sleep in order to use less air. WTF?

Zocelot
2008-01-13, 09:29 PM
My party was hideosly outnumbered by hobgoblins, so the I polymorphed everyone into hobgoblins. In the confusion I polymorphed some hobgoblins into us.

Not technically illusion, but it still fooled them...

seedjar
2008-01-13, 11:33 PM
They're not an illusion spells, but I like to use Feather Fall or Spider Climb to make it appear as though my character would rather jump to his doom than face the enemy. Spider Climb works especially well on something with an easily-traversed bottom, like a bridge or airship. I've caught a number of reckless baddies by surprise in this manner.
~Joe

Renegade Paladin
2008-01-13, 11:37 PM
Does fun with invisibility count? :smallbiggrin:

serok42
2008-01-14, 07:42 AM
An army of orcs was advancing on a small town we were defending. Through the town's scouts we learned that we had a few hours before they were on us. A long bridge spanning a canyon was the easiest way to get to the town. We destroyed part of the bridge and I created an illusion of the bridge still being intact. The other members of the party that were there stood on the side of the bridge and taunted the army when they finally approached. They charged and about half ended up falling to their deaths before the general realized the trap.

Craig1f
2008-01-14, 10:52 AM

I hate to burst your bubble, but according to the rules, that is not a valid illusion.

You can't use silent/minor/major/programmable illusions to make something disappear (like a wall). So, if you make an illusion of a room on top of a wall, the room would look like a 2D picture on the wall. You couldn't make the wall disappear. I think the illusion has to be a Glamer to make something disappear, as with invisibility.

So, if you're hiding in a clearing in the woods, you can't say "I make an illusion. Make the clearing we're in look empty." You could, however, make an illusion of a bunch of trees in the clearing to hide behind.

However, a lot of people houserule this to allow those types of illusions.

nargbop
2008-01-14, 02:04 PM
I've seen the illusory-pit-before-wall thing before ; it's a strong spell that makes people who walk over the pit think they're falling. Anyone who makes the disbelief save sees they're just floundering on the ground.
Now, where did I see it...
Anyway! My story! My gnome, in his very first battle, cast Dancing Lights in the Shape of a man next to a bad guy on a roof. I shouted "Look out behind you" and made the Lights go OOGA BOOGA and the guy fell to his doom. Fun.

WSUHippie
2008-01-14, 09:33 PM
A personal favorite of mine was cast not by me, but a party member. We somehow found ourselves confronted by some nasty looking humans. Our gnome illusionist tried to make the best of the situation (not sure what level we were at this point) and created an illusion of a big and nasty red dragon. Of course, the bad guys all made their saves (DM rolled in front of us, 8 rolls over 16, it was crazy) whereas we all failed, including our cleric with the good will save. Long story short, we booked it while a group of bandits all felt much cooler than they really were :p

Tavenknaughtlin
2008-01-14, 09:50 PM
While exploring a deep forest, our group came along a camp of Orcs. There were too many to take on by ourselves, so we set a trap for them. We cut down branches and made shapened poles out of them, set them in the ground on the north side of their camp (out of their sight range), and then finally cast Invisibility on a lot of them (thanks to the combined efforts of the Wizard and Sorceror).

Then the Wizard used an Illusion to make it seem that a Black Dragon was attacking the south side of the camp. Sure enough, the Orcs rushed out of their camp, and impaled themsleves on our invisible spear traps. Afterwards came the easy mop-up of the remaining forces.