PDA

View Full Version : Noctumancer Questions

Blackdrop
2008-01-13, 05:56 PM
Alright, so I have a few questions about the noctumancer class from Tome of Magic.

#1. The noctumancers starting ability, Capture Magic's Shadow, enhances your caster level after successfully dispelling a spell/mystery. If you use the Area Dispel function of Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) do you add the caster level multiple times or do you just use the highest level spell?

#2. This isn't so much a question about the noctumancer so much as it's question about hybrid spellcasters (mystic theurge) in general. A wizard/shadowcaster qualifies for the noctumancer class at a total level of 6. Now lets say I stop advancing the wizard or shadowcaster completely at go straight through and master the noctumancer class. At the point I'd be a Wizard3/Shadowcaster3/Noctumancer10 and have 4 levels left over to advance. If I chose to advance the wizard or shadowcaster to level five, world I cast spells/mysteries as a 15th level wizard/shadowcaster or a level 13 wizard/shadowcaster?

blue_fenix
2008-01-13, 06:13 PM
Alright, so I have a few questions about the noctumancer class from Tome of Magic.

#1. The noctumancers starting ability, Capture Magic's Shadow, enhances your caster level after successfully dispelling a spell/mystery. If you use the Area Dispel function of Dispel Magic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dispelMagic.htm) do you add the caster level multiple times or do you just use the highest level spell?

I would rule Highest level spell, to avoid cheese (500 level 1 spells, all dispelled at the same time? Winner!)

#2. This isn't so much a question about the noctumancer so much as it's question about hybrid spellcasters (mystic theurge) in general. A wizard/shadowcaster qualifies for the noctumancer class at a total level of 6. Now lets say I stop advancing the wizard or shadowcaster completely at go straight through and master the noctumancer class. At the point I'd be a Wizard3/Shadowcaster3/Noctumancer10 and have 4 levels left over to advance. If I chose to advance the wizard or shadowcaster to level five, world I cast spells/mysteries as a 15th level wizard/shadowcaster or a level 13 wizard/shadowcaster?

Your levels stack as follows:
Wizard levels + noctumancer levels = total wizard level
Shadowcaster +noctumancer levels = total shadowcaster level
This is regardless of the order in which you take levels.
So, Wizard 3/Shadowcaster3/Noctumancer10/Wizard 4 more is a level 20 character with Wizard casting level of 17 and Shadowcaster casting level of 13.

Blackdrop
2008-01-13, 06:35 PM
Alright, thank you very much.