PDA

View Full Version : "Peculiar" build help.

Lighturtle
2008-01-13, 07:36 PM
First, this is going to be a druid. No skipping that.

Eagle familiar. Natural Spell feat.

And now I'll explain what is "peculiar" about this character. See, I want an eagle riding spell flinging bunny. However, due to the unusual nature of this I'm rather lost.

Riding feats? Points in animal taming? Go find a druid to cast awaken on the eagle? What spells? What feats? What skills? Should I take a prestige class (master of many forms)? Combats tactics?

Help. Group unknown at the moment.

(oh, and I didn't post it in the build thread because it's not really tweaking but starting from scratch).

SurlySeraph
2008-01-13, 07:47 PM
Be an Awakened Rabbit Druid, have a Giant Eagle animal companion, put lots of points in Handle Animal and Ride.

Lighturtle
2008-01-13, 07:52 PM
Be an Awakened Rabbit Druid

Awakened animals can take class levels? Another quick question, can a druid cast spells in, say, ant form?

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-13, 08:02 PM
Awakened animals can take class levels? Another quick question, can a druid cast spells in, say, ant form?

If you have Natural Spell, then yes.

thorgrim29
2008-01-13, 08:50 PM
Or in flee form, wich could be fun for making people seriously freak out: My dog is casting spells!

Nebo_
2008-01-13, 08:59 PM
Another quick question, can a druid cast spells in, say, ant form?

Provided you have a way to turn into an ant and have natural spell.

Iku Rex
2008-01-13, 09:04 PM
...ant form?

http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip280.html
http://www.thenoobcomic.com/daily/strip282.html

Worira
2008-01-13, 09:07 PM
Note that you'd have to be wild shaped into an ant, and druids can't actually do that.

Lighturtle
2008-01-14, 05:55 AM
Note that you'd have to be wild shaped into an ant, and druids can't actually do that.

11th level: Wild shape (Tiny)

Ants are in the "Tiny" category right?

tyckspoon
2008-01-14, 06:02 AM
11th level: Wild shape (Tiny)

Ants are in the "Tiny" category right?

Your standard ant would be in the 'Fine' category and that's just because the chart doesn't go any smaller than Fine. It'd probably be 'Fine Minus' if you're using one of the extended size charts. I don't think even the Master of Many Forms gets to Wildshape that small, although there's probably an Epic feat that allows it. Waste of a feat, but there ya go.

Charity
2008-01-14, 06:06 AM
Ants are vermin not animals, there is probably a feat somewhere that allows verminform but I don't know it.

daggaz
2008-01-14, 06:19 AM
There was a thread like this earlier.. I think the best advice was to be the mount, and train your pet to ride you! =)

Seriously tho.. *ahem* Awakened animals can take class levels, but they will be under DM control, and there is no definite reason they will want to follow you around risking life and limb just for awakening them. They have their own motivations now, so you had better provide for that if you want help from an awakened eagle.

There is a vermin feat in Eberron that lets you wildshape into vermin form, as well as summon various swarms using natures ally. Pretty fun feat actually.

Ants are way smaller than just tiny.... and they arent statted out on the vermin lists anyhow, for obvious reason. Unless you are going with giant ant, which kinda defeats the purpose.

RTGoodman
2008-01-14, 08:12 AM
I'd say just play a regular ol' Druid (maybe with MoMF or something, if you feel like it), and wait until you get to whatever level you can wildshape into the correct size to become a rabbit.

Once you've got that, spend some time teaching the eagle to be ridden (probably taking up some trick slots), and then invest in a tiny little exotic flying saddle (I think there's info in Races of Stone or something like that about them) and have someone put you in that once you wildshape.

Of course, you better have some sort of way to communicate with your eagle while in animal form.

Telonius
2008-01-14, 09:14 AM
Random thought... do you need to specifically Ride the eagle? Why not just have him carry you?

"Hey, look, that Eagle caught a bunny!"
"Aww, poor thing, it's still struggling."
"What, that's .. what ... aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!"

kamikasei
2008-01-14, 09:27 AM
Seriously tho.. *ahem* Awakened animals can take class levels, but they will be under DM control, and there is no definite reason they will want to follow you around risking life and limb just for awakening them. They have their own motivations now, so you had better provide for that if you want help from an awakened eagle.

The eagle is the animal companion/mount; the Awakened animal is the rabbit, which is the PC. Sadly, Awakened animals gain HD, so you'd have racial HD to contend with... probably. See if you can work out stats for a non-Awakened yet intelligent rabbit with your DM without incurring LA.

Mr.Bookworm
2008-01-14, 09:47 AM
There's not a rabbit among them, but you could try the Anthromorphic animals from Savage Species. LA +0, and they're all Tiny sized.

If you really want to play a rabbit specifically, I bet you could work out an Anthromorphic Rabbit.

For the other stuff, as you'll be Tiny, you can use a normal eagle for your mount.

Person_Man
2008-01-14, 10:06 AM
Been playing Odin Sphere?[/aside]

You can take the Exalted Animal Companion feat and get a Giant Eagle. Then you can Wildshape into a small or medium rabbit.

Also, I'm hoping that this is meant for a TOON like comic roleplaying campaign, which are really fun if that's what everyone wants to do, and not a regular game. There's no quicker way to ruin any serious roleplaying then for one of the PCs to be an anthropomorphic animal character.

Lighturtle
2008-01-14, 11:50 AM
Random thought... do you need to specifically Ride the eagle? Why not just have him carry you?

"Hey, look, that Eagle caught a bunny!"
"Aww, poor thing, it's still struggling."
"What, that's .. what ... aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!"

1) Could hurt the rabbit.
2) Saddle is way cooler!
3) Concentration checks.

Also, I'm hoping that this is meant for a TOON like comic roleplaying campaign, which are really fun if that's what everyone wants to do, and not a regular game. There's no quicker way to ruin any serious roleplaying then for one of the PCs to be an anthropomorphic animal character.

Well, the character I'm playing is a bit stupid (high wisdom but very low int) (spend his youth in the woods?) yet not completly irresponsible, meaning his actions must have some sort of tactical value. Furthemore, rabbit form would only be for combat. Talking rabbit party member? Huh, that's stretching the suspension of disbelief a bit far... Eagle riding bunny would only be for glorious combat scenes. Anyway MoMF is an incredible class for schizoprenic characters :). Awesome sig by the way.

Well, thanks for the advice.

cupkeyk
2008-01-14, 11:55 AM
An ant is Fine, Not even halfling Druids with the substitution levels can turn fine. I think. You can get Child of Winter and Vermin Form to become an ant of diminutive or larger size.