PDA

View Full Version : starting over

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 12:12 AM
so my current game I am in has quite a few players and has now averaged in the 9-12 level range. I currently feel completely useless playing current character only because I have been allowed to break him over and over. So I did what a few other players have done, retired the character. I got my fair share of loot and my character left. Now I roll a new character, there are almost no restrictions to what I may play and I am roll lvl 10. In intrest of the party I am going to fill my favorite roll of the party rogue, we currently lack the trap ability among 6 consistent players and another 10 rotating. But having no restrictions I am pulling the most hated rogue a dm may see, a pixie. On that note my starting feats will be Improved flight, improved unamrmed strike, and ________ I am not sure for this character. Any suggestions would be wonderful, he will probably take craven in a few levels. My two feats I know I need are weapon finesse and TWF I believe, unless something is better which would I benefit from more.

ealan
2008-01-14, 12:15 AM
Well I suggest that you drop improved flight for weapon finesse and TWF and take it later if you really need it.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 08:30 AM
well I have looked it over and saw that maybe weapon finesse, flyby attack and unarmed strike would be best. TWF, craven and savvy rogue can follow after?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-14, 09:05 AM
A melee pixie rogue sounds quite squishy, invisibility or not.

TWF and Flyby Attack does not synergize much either.

How do you feel about a ranged sneak attacker, perhaps even an Arcane Trickster?

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 09:20 AM
I think I can avoid TWF completely, flyby will keep me out of direct melee, so I believe that will make things easier and out of fireball range. But greater invisablility will also allow for consistent
sneak attack.

wormwood
2008-01-14, 09:28 AM
A melee pixie rogue sounds quite squishy, invisibility or not.

TWF and Flyby Attack does not synergize much either.

How do you feel about a ranged sneak attacker, perhaps even an Arcane Trickster?

I second the ranged sneak attacker notion. As a pixie rogue, you're not really cut out for jumping in the thick of things. You'll be able to use that improved invisibility a lot better throwing out arrows than getting one flyby attack per round.

Don't pixies also get poisoned arrows as a racial bonus?

Person_Man
2008-01-14, 10:14 AM
I agree with Silvanos. Because of the LA, a Pixie is really squishy.

A 10th level Rogue can get a Wand of Greater Invisibility. Or you can buy a Ring of Blinking and take the Pierce Magical Concealment feat so that you don't suffer from the 20% miss chance. Either method will protect you from attacks and allow you to Sneak Attack on a consistent basis without having to take a weird race or template.

Craven is a poor choice for any build with a lot of LA, since the bonus damage is based on character levels, not ECL.

You need not be a Rogue if you want Trapfinding. Clerics, Archivists, and various PrC can cast Find Traps (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Find_Traps). And Beguilers, Psychic Rogues, Spellthief, and others get it as a class feature.

If you do stick with Pixie, I suggest that you just follow the archery tree until you get Greater Manyshot. That way you can move and shoot and apply Sneak Attack to every attack.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 10:26 AM
does this work?

Race: Changling
Classes: rogue 6/swashbuckler 3/warshaper 1
Feats: daring outlaw, craven, (whatever feats needed for warshaper)

ghost_warlock
2008-01-14, 10:30 AM
Only if you totally ignore the +4 level adjustment of the pixie.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 10:36 AM
ok forget pixie, the LA will kill me.
For now I am looking for combat ability with little weapon requirements, so toss out craven on the other build cause it isn't technically good

kamikasei
2008-01-14, 10:43 AM
Only if you totally ignore the +4 level adjustment of the pixie.

He said "Race: Changeling"...

Questions that need answering: what books etc. can you draw on? Are there any houserules or bannings in effect that would alter the effectiveness of various options? What are the abilities/niches you want to have/fill?

There are a lot of ways to fulfil the trapfinding task for the party, so it largely depends on what sort of character you want and what you can use to build him.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 11:21 AM
changling
rogue8/shadowdancer1/warshaper1
feats: dodge, mobility, combat reflexs, and ________
and approipriate skills.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-14, 10:41 PM
the character is writen:
Changling with the Dark Creature template from Tome of Magic
8 levels in Rogue
1 level in Warshaper
ECL 10
abilities: 12str, 18 dex, 14 con, 18 int, 13 wis, 11 cha
feats: Improved Initiative, Craven, Weapon Finesse, Multiattack

He is all done and DM approval pending getting to see play tomorrow night. Any last minute comments or changes?

Talic
2008-01-15, 03:51 AM
I'm a fan of Dual Strike, especially with the weapon style feats that focus on hitting with 2 weapons in a round.

ealan
2008-01-15, 10:27 AM
I think Dual Strike defeats his purpose of trying to do sneak attack damage with each attack, and he is trying to exploit as many natural weapons as possible with warshaper changling.

If his DM lets him have multiple natural weapons at a time and apply sneak attack with each when he attacks from the hide in plain sight he is gaining from the Dark Creature Template then he is doing a lot of damage.

Person_Man
2008-01-15, 10:40 AM
the character is writen:
Changling with the Dark Creature template from Tome of Magic
8 levels in Rogue
1 level in Warshaper
ECL 10
abilities: 12str, 18 dex, 14 con, 18 int, 13 wis, 11 cha
feats: Improved Initiative, Craven, Weapon Finesse, Multiattack

He is all done and DM approval pending getting to see play tomorrow night. Any last minute comments or changes?

There's no reason for the 1 level of Warshaper unless your DM allows you to abuse their "create natural weapon" ability to give yourself claws, bite, horns, tail, tentacles, slam, etc. If he does, then keep it.

If he doesn't, then I'd drop Warshaper, Multiattack, and Changeling. Be a Human, Whisper Gnome, or Neraph (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2) instead.

Drop Improved Initiative and Weapon Finesse. They only provide minor static bonuses. Instead, consider feats that add new abilities or attacks. For example, Staggering Strike (Comp Adv), Neraph Charge (Planer Handbook), Dragonfire Strike (Dragon Magic), Maiming Strike (Exemplars of Evil), and/or Two Weapon Fighting or the bow feat tree.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-15, 11:19 AM
My DM let me have up to 5 attacks: 2 claws, a bite, a tail and my second attack with my primary.

Person_Man
2008-01-15, 11:40 AM
My DM let me have up to 5 attacks: 2 claws, a bite, a tail and my second attack with my primary.

I'm a bit confused here. I think you mean primary/iterative/1 claw/1 bite/1 tail. Not 2 claws. You can't attack with both claws and a hand held weapon in the same round.

Regardless, 5 attacks is pretty solid, and makes Warshaper well worth it. I'd still drop Improved Initiative and Weapon Finesse though.

DareTheRogue
2008-01-16, 08:37 AM
well my primary was my bite. We totaled a possible 11 natural attacks and flanking the random demon in the cloud giants castle last night, killed him with a possible 44d6 damage, well demon blew up that round and I took 100 damage and died, so did almost all of the party and the already wounded giant. So the wasted rogue.