PDA

View Full Version : Bending-Unit 22 [Monster!]

Deepblue706
2008-01-14, 01:59 AM
Writer's Note: This is essentially just the wikipedia.org article on Bender/Flexo - which I've formed into a monster article for your reading pleasure, and to pay homage to Futurama, one of my favorite shows. I hope you enjoy!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb298/DeepBlue706/Bender.jpg
Bending-Unit 22

Bending-Unit 22 is an efficient industrial robot, primarily created for the task of bending metal girders for the construction of various buildings and machinery, including suicide booths. In one case, numerous Unit-22s were documented to have been used in creating a 500ft tall version of the same model - which promptly flew to the planet Earth, where it proceeded in an attempt to kill all humans. A normal Bending-Unit 22 is composed of 30% iron, 40% zinc, 40% titanium, 40% dolomite, and 40% lead, and weighs approximately 525lbs.

Performance

The robot is top-of-the-line in its field, and highly versatile - possessing countless abilities and functions. Bending-Unit 22's "extenso-matic" limbs are extendable, detachable, retractable, and capable of functioning independently of its body. The robot can also retract his limbs and head into its chest cavity. Its eyes are extending cylinders with rounded ends, are fully detachable, and function like binoculars when desired.

Like its limbs, the Bending-Unit's head is detachable and retractable, attached to a thin, maneuverable wire. Its head can also function as an audio tape recorder, answering machine, CD player, film projector, camera, martini shaker, a bell, credit card terminal, and a can of spray paint. On top of the unit's head is a retractable antenna, which is multi-functional, and can work as a radio transmitter, a remote control receiver, sword, toilet flusher, or laser light show generator. Its legs can also transform into roller skates, depending upon whim.

The unit possesses a total of eight senses, including four of the five classical senses and "smision" (A combination of smell and eyesight); however, he lacks the regular sense of taste.

Energy Sources

The Bending-Unit 22 uses alcohol as fuel to recharge his fuel cells, and produces greenhouse gases as a result in the form of fire whenever he belches or sometimes farts. He suffers symptoms of inebriation when he stops drinking, becoming disoriented and developing rust around his mouth, the robot equivalent of a five o'clock shadow. While alcohol is his primary fuel source, he is also capable of processing mineral oil, dark matter, and photons (solar energy).

Durability

The Bending-Unit 22 has reportedly incredible resistance to severe physical abuse. It has withstood crushing, can openers, explosives, fire, water, firearms, extreme temperatures, and even supermagnets. It can operate at full capacity in the vacuum of space and endure the massive pressure at the bottom of the sea.

Programming

Bending-Unit 22 initially cannot act against his programming, but can be deprogrammed after being subjected to an electric current. This may cause the robot to act in highly unpredictable ways, picking up habbits such as chain-smoking, constant swearing, fighting, stealing, gambling and whore-mongering. However, as the unit's personality is stored on a floppy disk, removing it will cause the robot to be limited to bending girders, its primary task. Thusly, dysfunctional robots can be "fixed" by uploading new software into a blank unit, so long as its actual body remains intact.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb298/DeepBlue706/180px-Flexo_futurama.png
Flexo

Flexo, exemplary Bending-Unit 22
Medium Size (Construct)
HD 4d10+30 (55)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); 40ft. (rollerskates) (8 squares)
Init: -1
AC 19 (-1 dex, +10 natural); touch 9; flat-footed 19
BAB +3; Grp +9
Attack Slam +9 melee
(1d8+6, x2 critical)
Full-Attack Slam +9 melee
(1d8+6, x2 critical))
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks -
Special Qualities Construct Traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, extenso-matic, immunity to magic, low-light vision, rollerskates
Saves Fort +3 Ref +0 Will +1
Abilities Str 23, Dex 9, Con -, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills Bending +22, Crackin' Wise +4
Feats Great Fortitude
Environment Any
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 5
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral
Advancement 5-20HD (Large); 21-50 (Huge); 51-75 (Gargantuan); 76-100 (Colossal)
Level Adjustment +3

Extenso-Matic (Ex)

Bending-Unit 22 can extend its limbs, therefore increasing its reach. As a swift action, it may increase or decrease its reach by an increment of 5ft, to a maximum of 50ft. He may increase or decrease by greater increments at a time, but is dealt d6 damage (bypasses DR) for every 5ft beyond the normal limit.

Bending-Unit 22 may also increase its leg height at the same rate - however, must succeed a balance check at heights over 10ft (DC 10+current height) or fall prone.

Magic Immunity (Ex)

Bending-Unit 22 is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows a Bending-Unit (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw. Additionally, whenever struck by any attack that deals electrical damage, the Bending-Unit 22 must make a fortitude save (DC 15) or immediately become "dysfunctional" (properties below).

The Bending-Unit was designed to endure in nearly any terrain, and can sustain itself indefinitely in very hot and cold environments. Thusly, the robot has energy resistence 10 for both fire and ice-based attacks.

Bending-Unit 22 is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Rollerskates (Ex)

As a standard action, Bending-Unit 22 may transform its legs into rollerskates, so that it can more efficiently escape danger and/or being stolen.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb298/DeepBlue706/Bender-1.jpg
Bender

Bender, Dysfunctional Bending-Unit 22
Medium Size (Construct)
HD 4d10+30 (55)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares); 40ft. (rollerskates) (8 squares)
Init: -1
AC 19 (-1 dex, +10 natural); touch 9; flat-footed 19
BAB +3; Grp +9
Attack Slam +9 melee
(1d8+6, x2 critical)
Full-Attack Slam +9 melee
(1d8+6, x2 critical))
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks -
Special Qualities Construct Traits, damage reduction 10/adamantine, darkvision 60ft, extenso-matic, immunity to magic, laziness, low-light vision, rollerskates, swarthy latin charm
Saves Fort +3 Ref +0 Will -2
Abilities Str 23, Dex 9, Con -, Int 12, Wis 5, Cha 16
Skills Bending +22, Bluff + 21, Crackin' Wise +4, Gambling +12, Intimidate +6, Perform (Washboard) +7
Feats Great Fortitude, Skill Focus: Washboard
Environment Any
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 10
Treasure None
Alignment Chaotic*
Advancement 5-20HD (Large); 21-50 (Huge); 51-75 (Gargantuan); 76-100 (Colossal)
Level Adjustment +7

*: Because Bender is so dysfunctional, his alignment can be hard to classify as anything but "Chaotic". His actions would seemingly range between Evil and Neutral, but he could very well have Good intentions, and just greatly misunderstand how to go about executing things correctly.

Extenso-Matic (Ex)

Bending-Unit 22 can extend its limbs, therefore increasing its reach. As a swift action, it may increase or decrease its reach by an increment of 5ft, to a maximum of 50ft. He may increase or decrease by greater increments at a time, but is dealt d6 damage (bypasses DR) for every 5ft beyond the normal limit.

Bending-Unit 22 may also increase its leg height at the same rate - however, must succeed a balance check at heights over 10ft (DC 10+current height) or fall prone.

Laziness (Ex)

Due to his defect, Bender has become so lazy that he will often refuse to take orders or listen to the suggestions of others. Whenever he is told to do anything that he would not have done normally, there is a 40% chance he will refuse, and a 75% chance he will insult whoever made the suggestion. A favorite of his is "Bite my shiny metal ass", and variations thereof.

Magic Immunity (Ex)

Bending-Unit 22 is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. In addition, certain spells and effects function differently against the creature, as noted below.

A magical attack that deals electricity damage slows a Bending-Unit (as the slow spell) for 3 rounds, with no saving throw.

The Bending-Unit was designed to endure in nearly any terrain, and can sustain itself indefinitely in very hot and cold environments. Thusly, the robot has energy resistence 10 for both fire and ice-based attacks.

Bending-Unit 22 is affected normally by rust attacks, such as that of a rust monster or a rusting grasp spell.

Rollerskates (Ex)

As a standard action, a Bending-Unit 22 may transform its legs into rollerskates, so that it can more efficiently escape danger and/or being stolen.

Swarthy Latin Charm (Ex)

As Bender has the words "Hencho en Mexico" written on the inside of his chest cavity, he claims to have Swarthy Latin Charm. Whether real or imagined, this property leaves Bender with hot-shot confidence and a suave demeanor around fembots. He receives a +4 defective bonus to all CHA-based skills he uses against fembots, and a CHA score of 16 instead of the normal Bending-Unit 22's score of 9.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb298/DeepBlue706/futurama_bender.jpg

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-14, 03:16 AM
I can't really see Bending units being benefited by heat. After all in Jurrassic Bark (obligatory :smallfrown:) his eyes were melted even though he's apparently heat resistant.

Furthermore perhaps;

Shock damage should cause a confusion effect
Cold damage should not have an effect
They should have some damage reduction, they can survive being crushed by a girder or flattened and rolled up after all

ZeroNumerous
2008-01-14, 03:30 AM
I can't really see Bending units being benefited by heat. After all in Jurrassic Bark (obligatory :smallfrown:) his eyes were melted even though he's apparently heat resistant.

Yes, but his body wasn't damaged.

They should have some damage reduction, they can survive being crushed by a girder or flattened and rolled up after all

They have DR 10/Adamantine.

But onto the monster itself..

I personally think Flexo should have a mirror of Bender's Laziness ability. After all, he does everything he's told to do.

Deepblue706
2008-01-15, 01:05 AM

Furthermore perhaps;

Shock damage should cause a confusion effect
Cold damage should not have an effect

Well, I have under Flexo, the standard Bending-Unit 22 that shocking damage can cause the robot to become dysfunctional. Perhaps, confusion can be worked in as well.

Stycotl
2008-01-15, 02:20 AM
this is pretty cool. i like your interpretation of bender in particular. defective bonus...

aaron out.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-15, 04:33 AM
Well, I have under Flexo, the standard Bending-Unit 22 that shocking damage can cause the robot to become dysfunctional. Perhaps, confusion can be worked in as well.

The main reason for that point was that episode where Bender got "addicted" to electricity ("Hell is other robots" IIRC). Since it seems to have a narcotic effect I'd have thought that it would be a similar state to confusion.

Deepblue706
2008-01-15, 06:14 PM
The main reason for that point was that episode where Bender got "addicted" to electricity ("Hell is other robots" IIRC). Since it seems to have a narcotic effect I'd have thought that it would be a similar state to confusion.

Oh, I forgot about that one!

Also, does anyone think I should make it extremely vulnerable Logical Paradox attacks?

magic_unlocked
2008-01-16, 02:02 AM
I would say so, but, still have that chance that Bender will ignore the order to act upon it. :smalltongue:

arkanis
2008-01-16, 10:20 AM
This is awesome. My only thing is, Bender was really good at Sleight of Hand and performed incredible feats of dexterity even though he wasn't particularly fast. I'd give him a boost there somehow.

Also, his Crackin' Wise skill would definately be maxed out.

magic_unlocked
2008-02-01, 03:14 AM
*casts TRUE RESURECTION*

*ahem* I believe that Arkanis is right. Bender did have a massive sleight of hand modifier. Also, what about his compartment? would that be the equivelant to a bag of holding type 1?