PDA

View Full Version : Harvesting TDC armor

pendell
2008-01-14, 08:05 AM
So here I am chowing down at the local seafood restaurant with my wife. And I'm eating crab legs.

I gotta say ... it ain't easy opening these things. That armor perfectly fits. It's tough , and yet very light.

Which got me to thinking ...

... would it be possible to make armor out of Monstrous Crab shell, a la dragonscale armor? What tools would be needed? I imagne one could make a breastplate, backplate, and bracers or greaves. What AC reduction would it give, for what encumbrance penalty? How much would it be worth? Are there any other potential uses for crab shell?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

kamikasei
2008-01-14, 08:07 AM
There are rules out there, somewhere, for making chitinous armour, aren't there? I would imagine it should be more or less the same. To my knowledge crab shells aren't that divergent from arthopod/arachnid exoskeletons...

edit: Yup, a quick Wikipedia-ing confirms that crabs are arthopods, and chitinous.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2008-01-14, 09:13 AM
Stormwrack features Chitin and Shell armor, both can be made of monstrous crab.

Person_Man
2008-01-14, 09:56 AM
Races of the Dragon also has Chitin armor.

This is just off the top of my head, but I think it improves the Max Dex Bonus by 1, it's lighter, and its natural material (which means Druids can wear it without restriction).

Worira
2008-01-14, 11:29 AM
In addition, it gives you -5 modifier to CR.

Brawls
2008-01-14, 06:30 PM
The topic of shell and coral armor is also discussed in the Arms & Armor splatbook.

Brawls

CthulhuM
2008-01-14, 07:11 PM
As for actually crafting the stuff, it works as normal with craft(armorsmithing) checks. I think coral and chitin armors are fairly expensive, though (at least as far as light and medium armors go), so crafting it would take a ridiculously long time, unless you were using Fabricate.