PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt class-Prestige class level up question

ChromaticOne
2008-01-14, 05:37 PM
Well, I got confused while I planning my character build. If I am Gestalt Fighter/Paladin 8, and decided to put a level in cavalier prestige, then will I be just Fighter/Paladin 8 and Cavalier 1 (level up in only prestige) or allowed to level up in BOTH prestige and core class? (like Fighter 9/Paladin 8/Cavalier 1)

I'm really confused. Please help me

Wabbajack
2008-01-14, 05:40 PM
You can only level up in two base-classes or in one base-class and one prestige-class

Swooper
2008-01-14, 06:51 PM
You need to think of Gestalt not as multiclass, but as having two classes each level, only one of which may be a prestige class each level. Separate them with a double slash, like this: Paladin 8//Fighter 8. So, when you gain your 9th level, you could become either a Paladin 8/Cavalier 1//Fighter 9 or Paladin 9//Fighter 8/Cavalier 1. When you then advance to 10th level (assuming you took the 1st option), you could become Paladin 9/Cavalier 1//Fighter 9/Knight Protector 1 or something like that, the important thing is that each level you only have one prestige class (and that dual-advancement classes aren't allowed).

That said... Fighter//Paladin is a rather bad idea for Gestalt, since they have a lot of the same class features (d10 HD, a good fort save, full BAB, few skill points). What you want is classes with different abilities that mesh well togeather. A simple example is Fighter//Rogue. Beyond a regular Fighter, you'd have: 6 extra skill points each level and a bunch of useful class skills, sneak attack dice, a good reflex save, trapfinding, uncanny dodge, evasion and so on - all the class features of the rogue. And the whole point of Gestalt is to allow you to fulfill more than one party role efficiently, in a small party.

Wordmiser
2008-01-14, 07:08 PM
A simple example is Fighter//Rogue. Beyond a regular Fighter, you'd have: 6 extra skill points each level and a bunch of useful class skills, sneak attack dice, a good reflex save, trapfinding, uncanny dodge, evasion and so on - all the class features of the rogue.Hell, even just take the Feat Rogue variant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) You trade Tower Shield Proficiency for all of the Rogue abilities beside the Sneak Attack dice, even keeping your Fighter Bonus Feats

ChromaticOne
2008-01-14, 07:12 PM
Thanks everyone! I got it now

kamikasei
2008-01-15, 03:13 AM
Hell, even just take the Feat Rogue variant. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#rogue) You trade Tower Shield Proficiency for all of the Rogue abilities beside the Sneak Attack dice, even keeping your Fighter Bonus Feats

Huh?

No, you are a rogue who trades Sneak Attack for Feats. You don't have anything non-roguish besides the feats: not full BAB, not weapon proficiencies, not HD, not fort saves... This is very different from a Fighter//Rogue who gets full BAB, two good saves, d10 HD, all armor and shields and simple and martial weapons, bonus feats, sneak attack...

Kioran
2008-01-15, 03:26 AM
Huh?

No, you are a rogue who trades Sneak Attack for Feats. You don't have anything non-roguish besides the feats: not full BAB, not weapon proficiencies, not HD, not fort saves... This is very different from a Fighter//Rogue who gets full BAB, two good saves, d10 HD, all armor and shields and simple and martial weapons, bonus feats, sneak attack...

But as Paladin//Feat Rogue very much better than Fighter//Paladin, since now you´re a Paladin with good HD(almost as good as Outsider), useful class Features and, best of all, Fighter Bonus Feats. Depending on how you want to continue, it´s either a Skillmonkey with Paladin powers or a versatile Paladin that can easily qualify for PrCs.

Duke of URL
2008-01-15, 10:04 AM
the important thing is that each level you only have one prestige class (and that dual-advancement classes aren't allowed)

Note that the "only one prestige class" rule is really only a recommendation, your DM may be more lenient.

Swooper
2008-01-15, 10:23 AM
Note that the "only one prestige class" rule is really only a recommendation, your DM may be more lenient.
Fair enough.

Wordmiser
2008-01-15, 11:08 AM
I was refering to the fact that Paladin//Feat Rogue is strictly better than Paladin//Fighter. The only thing the latter has that the prior doesn't is Tower Shield Proficiencies.

[edit:] Oh, I see the problem. I misread the bit I quoted to say Paladin//Rogue. If that were the case, I think my first post would have made a bit more sense.

kamikasei
2008-01-15, 11:41 AM
I was refering to the fact that Paladin//Feat Rogue is strictly better than Paladin//Fighter. The only thing the latter has that the prior doesn't is Tower Shield Proficiencies.

[edit:] Oh, I see the problem. I misread the bit I quoted to say Paladin//Rogue. If that were the case, I think my first post would have made a bit more sense.

Looks like we both got our levels confused. I agree that Paladin//Feat Rogue is a better combination than Paladin//Fighter and probably than Fighter//Rogue.