PDA

View Full Version : For those who know Latin...

13_CBS
2008-01-14, 07:20 PM
I need to come up with a swanky Latin title for a Constitution-esque set of laws for a web browser game, but alas, I know no Latin. At all.

So I'm wondering what "Book of Law" is in Latin.

bugsysservant
2008-01-14, 07:23 PM
If I remember my Latin correctly, it would be liber lecis. Though I would double check that with someone whose knowledge is a bit fresher than my own.

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2008-01-14, 07:26 PM
^Very close, only one letter off.

It's liber legis.

rubakhin
2008-01-14, 07:41 PM
Title has some interesting associations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_the_Law), however.

(Though if you're down with Crowley, roll with your bad self.)

Syka
2008-01-14, 09:19 PM
Liber legis looks correct. :)

Cheers,
Syka

Dwarkanath
2008-01-14, 09:58 PM
I'd go with something a little less literal (and be kind, my knowledge of Latin is utterly abysmal...), maybe "Legis Hominum?"

-- Dave

Syka
2008-01-14, 10:49 PM
I'd go with something a little less literal (and be kind, my knowledge of Latin is utterly abysmal...), maybe "Legis Hominum?"

-- Dave

That's "Man of Law". Literal isn't bad and it is rare when you can get a direct translation, so you take it when you can. :smallsmile: Trust me, I'm a Classics major and at times I've had classes argue for 15 minutes over nuances of a word. Like, one Greek word can mean "think, know, believe" and that stuff. Capio in Latin has about five hundred definitions (yes, exaggeration). :) So when you get literal, you run with it.

Cheers,
Syka

Kneenibble
2008-01-14, 11:56 PM
That's "Man of Law". Literal isn't bad and it is rare when you can get a direct translation, so you take it when you can. :smallsmile: Trust me, I'm a Classics major and at times I've had classes argue for 15 minutes over nuances of a word. Like, one Greek word can mean "think, know, believe" and that stuff. Capio in Latin has about five hundred definitions (yes, exaggeration). :) So when you get literal, you run with it.

Cheers,
Syka

You're a classics major and you think that means "man of law"? Madame, for shame. Hominum is clearly the plural genitive case. So actually it means pretty much nothing. "law's men's."

Personally I recommend something less 1:1. Like "Liber Legifer" or "Codex Civilis".

*Goes off to a drug-frenzied Crowlean orgy*

Zakama
2008-01-15, 01:26 AM
If I could just hijack this thread a little, how do you say Fire and Ice?

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-15, 01:38 AM
You're a classics major and you think that means "man of law"? Madame, for shame. Hominum is clearly the plural genitive case. So actually it means pretty much nothing. "law's men's."

Personally I recommend something less 1:1. Like "Liber Legifer" or "Codex Civilis".

*Goes off to a drug-frenzied Crowlean orgy*

You're both wrong. Legis, in addition to being the genitive singular of lex, is also the nominative plural, and thus Legis Hominum translates as "The Laws of Men".

RTGoodman
2008-01-15, 01:42 AM
I don't have my dictionary on me, but I think "fire and ice" would be something like "ignis geluque" or "ignis et gelu."

[Anyone else know another word for "ice?" I couldn't think of one.]

EDIT: Lord Iames, I'm not sure about that. I'm pretty sure the nominative plural of lex is leges.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-01-15, 01:45 AM
If I could just hijack this thread a little, how do you say Fire and Ice?

Ignis et glacies, barbare.

You're both wrong. Legis, in addition to being the genitive singular of lex, is also the nominative plural, and thus Legis Hominum translates as "The Laws of Men".

No, the nominative plural is leges.

Lord Iames Osari
2008-01-15, 02:07 AM
:smallredface: On consultation with reference material, you're right, it's leges. Mea culpa.

Hazkali
2008-01-15, 02:54 AM
'What's this, then? "Romanes eunt domus"? People called Romanes, they go the house?'

:smallbiggrin:

Kneenibble
2008-01-15, 01:07 PM
As an alliteration junky, for fire and ice, I recommend "Flamma Frigusque".

The third declension and I accept your apology, Lord Iames.

Ossian
2008-01-15, 05:41 PM
Ok, let's assume your guys are "dodi" and that your ruler-legislator is called "dudus"

Try with Leges Dod-orum (the laws of the dodi), Codex Dudianus (the codification made by mr. dudus) or Lex Dudina or Leges Dudinae (The dudus law (or laws))

O.

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-15, 06:25 PM
?, ? ??? o ?????? ????????? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ????????. ??, ??????, ?? ?? ?????????? '? ???????????? ? ??? ?????????';
So sue me if my prose composition's not that good:P

EDIT:What it this? vBulletin discriminates against Koine-speakers?

Okay, the same transliterated:

O, ho pas ho touton lalemenoi en te glosse te ton Italikon. Ti, erotao, ti me upoteineis 'Palimpsestos Ton Paroimion'?

Syka
2008-01-15, 06:32 PM
?, ? ??? o ?????? ????????? ?? ?? ?????? ?? ??? ????????. ??, ??????, ?? ?? ?????????? '? ???????????? ? ??? ?????????';

O, ho pas ho touton lalemenoi en te glosse te ton Italikon. Ti, erotao, ti me upoteineis 'Palimpsestos Ton Paroimion'?

*twitch* I'm resisting the urge to attempt to translate this. ...

My attempt is beginning to fail. :smalltongue: I do enough translating as is.

But it's good to see other ancient language speakers. There should be a group for us to gather on the boards and commiserate about it leeching our souls away.

Cheers,
Syka

HydwenPrydain
2008-01-15, 07:03 PM
salve, alii, qui ob grammaticam Latinam dolent
Cicero in Tartaro incendere debet!

Chunklets
2008-01-15, 07:31 PM
salve, alii, qui ob grammaticam Latinam dolent
Cicero in Tartaro incendere debet!

Et nos qui per nemora amoena linguae latinae gaudemus ludimusque?? :smalltongue:

(Et, libri ab Tacito scripti difficiliores quam illi Ciceronis sunt, mea sententia! :smallbiggrin: )

Dragonstar
2008-01-15, 07:42 PM
Latin is a language as dead as it can be.
It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me...

Four years of Latin in high school, and that's the only thing I remember nearly a decade later. :smallsigh:

RTGoodman
2008-01-15, 07:53 PM

It's all Greek to me... :smallsigh:

[Okay, even I thought that was bad.]

Purple Cloak
2008-01-15, 08:02 PM
ah if their are latin speakers could anone tell me what 'Book of lies' would be? i realise it will be Liber somthing, but i cant find it in my english/latin dictonary :(

Syka
2008-01-15, 08:26 PM
ah if their are latin speakers could anone tell me what 'Book of lies' would be? i realise it will be Liber somthing, but i cant find it in my english/latin dictonary :(

Liber mendaciorum I believe. Mendacius, mendaci(i) is the noun "lie", it is masculine. :)

Cheers,
Syka...whose putting off studying Lucretius

Ossian
2008-01-16, 05:07 AM
Latin is a language as dead as it can be.
It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me...

Four years of Latin in high school, and that's the only thing I remember nearly a decade later. :smallsigh:

Do not underestimate the power of Latin...[breaths through machinery in a mask]....I find your lack of Love disturbing [force-chokes dragonstar]

No, I'm just kidding. Really dragonstar, some subjects stay as dead as they appear in highschool depending on what life throws at you.
Imagin you are walking with your girlfriend along the streets of Rome. Now, illiteracy, while not granting you any rage or fast movement ability, will keep you in the dark and you won't be able to show off with her sayin "you see Darling, the writing on the pantheon says :wanted and built by menennius agrippa in the year ....".

And what's more: imagine you are a jack-of-all rades archeologist and you stumble upon a shield of stone in the parlour of a nazi sympathizer in disguise. You 'll read "qui es qui bibit acquae...." and you won't have a clue of where the Holy Grail is.

Now, jokes aside, the Language of Beowulf is dead too, even more dead than latin, but there are still people who study it, find it cool, use it for lyrics in viking metal bands and so on.
Moreover, Latin has killed the Roman Empire (hmmm...not so sure about that) but has also kept the Roman Church (i.e. its continuation) alive and kicking for the past 17 hundred years. For the sake of the 7 hills, even the title is the same, Pontifex Maximus....

EDIT: what about the Greek translation? Italikon...glosse....I wonder...

That's what I could guess. What does the whole hing mean?

And hey...Syka, a latin loving girl...ah sweet. I feel a lot like one of the seaguls in Finding Nemo taking dibs on the clownfish

Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...M ine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mi ne...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Min e...Mine...

Ichneumon
2008-01-16, 11:02 AM
I just heard that in about 24 hours I have a big latin examination about Ovid's Metamorphosis... Perseus and Midas.... What to do....:smalleek:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-16, 11:50 AM
Heh, my GCSE had an essay on the Metamorphoses. I recall that I just blathered on about magical realism in it until the time was up. It's quite a rich vein of stuff to say.

ChomZ
2008-01-16, 02:35 PM
there is only one law that needs to be in latin: quando omni flunkus mortati

means: when all else fails, play dead.. but only nerds would know that

Syka
2008-01-16, 02:59 PM
And hey...Syka, a latin loving girl...ah sweet. I feel a lot like one of the seaguls in Finding Nemo taking dibs on the clownfish

Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...M ine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mi ne...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Mine...Min e...Mine...

You'll have quite a bit of a fight on your hands with Oz. :smallwink: He doesn't intend to give it up. But yes, I love it. I'm sure if you go to a college campus that has a Classics degree you'll find plenty of girls who love the language. I'm pretty sure most of the Latin students I know are female. :) Greek is a more even split.

Ichneumon, nos moritori te salatamus (I know I messed up the spelling). But have your class recite that to the teacher, you might get bonus points. ;)

For the uninitiated- We who are about to die salute you. When my boyfriend wanted me to teach him something in Latin I taught him that and "Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be destroyed). Shockingly, I was able to explain the grammar for the latter phrase. If I remember correctly it is a passive periphrastic...Oh god, stop me while I'm ahead. :smallfrown: It's taken over my life.

Cheers,
Syka

Ossian
2008-01-16, 03:36 PM
You'll have quite a bit of a fight on your hands with Oz. :smallwink: He doesn't intend to give it up. But yes, I love it. I'm sure if you go to a college campus that has a Classics degree you'll find plenty of girls who love the language. I'm pretty sure most of the Latin students I know are female. :) Greek is a more even split.

Ichneumon, nos moritori te salatamus (I know I messed up the spelling). But have your class recite that to the teacher, you might get bonus points. ;)

For the uninitiated- We who are about to die salute you. When my boyfriend wanted me to teach him something in Latin I taught him that and "Carthago delenda est" (Carthage must be destroyed). Shockingly, I was able to explain the grammar for the latter phrase. If I remember correctly it is a passive periphrastic...Oh god, stop me while I'm ahead. :smallfrown: It's taken over my life.
Cheers,
Syka

Aye, lucky fellow Oz...:smallcool:
IIRC the catchphrase for the gladiatores was "morituri te salutant" (those that are going to die salute you) but you rephrased it correctly. There are just 2 typos. It's morituri (replace "o" with "i") and Salutamus (replace the 2nd "a" with "u"). Which is, incidentally, a sweet active periphrastic that went into pretty much every word in the world that has a "ur" in the ending and expresses something that is going or about to happen (roll the drums, blow the trumpets, some National pide is ensuing :smallbiggrin: ).

And yes, correct again, it's passive periphrastic. Besides, if you have seen Carthage, in Tunisia, they made a helluva job. M.P. Cato nagged and vexed and obsessed and annoyed the Senate with that line to such an extent that the city was, sadly, utterly undone just to have him shut up once and for all (BTW. not proud of this :smallfrown: ). Its stones and pillars and all the artwork stolen and pillaged (and used somewhere in Italy in various villa and fora). Then for good measure salt was cast on its soil, to sterilize it for good, just to be sure you know. Efficiency in Italy was much hotter back then than it is today :smallfrown:

Zephra
2008-01-16, 05:08 PM
;3792391']^Very close, only one letter off.

It's liber legis.

not to sound show-offy of anything, but
it's actually Liber Legium. (as it's literally book of the laws, so it'd be genitive plurlal)

on a similar note, the D&D book Liber Mortis (book of the dead) is gramaticlly incorect. It should be Liber Mortium, though it doesn't sound half as cool.

Purple Cloak
2008-01-16, 05:25 PM
oooo double post, scary :smalleek:

heh, thanks guys, i now know what kill be engraved on my wizards spell book now :smallbiggrin:

although i have so many spells now i probably should get a notebook to keep them all in for haste of looking them up and the face my charicter sheet is too small :smallconfused:

maybe i should put it on the front of that too :smalltongue:

and of course all of them are good for other ones, to realy screw with the players at latin is always seen as ominous on and in books
:smallbiggrin:

Illiterate Scribe
2008-01-16, 07:03 PM
not to sound show-offy of anything, but
it's actually Liber Legium. (as it's literally book of the laws, so it'd be genitive plurlal)

on a similar note, the D&D book Liber Mortis (book of the dead) is gramaticlly incorect. It should be Liber Mortium, though it doesn't sound half as cool.

It could be 'the book of death', which kinda fits ...

Zephra
2008-01-16, 07:18 PM
actually, it says 'book of undead' right under the title. Book of death is prety good, though. Maybe I'll go write that

RTGoodman
2008-01-16, 07:25 PM
Syka...whose putting off studying Lucretius

Ugh - have fun with that. I hated Lucretius so much that I've blocked off that part of that semester. The only thing I remember is "Nil igitur mors est ad nos..." ("Therefore death is nothing to us...").

I much preferred Catullus - at least his poetry was full of hidden (and dirty!) sexual imagery, or was just outright vulgar! (See Catullus 16 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catullus_16), though I warn you, the language is very shocking for some.)

Syka
2008-01-16, 07:42 PM
I much preferred Catullus - at least his poetry was full of hidden (and dirty!) sexual imagery, or was just outright vulgar! (See Catullus 16 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catullus_16), though I warn you, the language is very shocking for some.)

See! That's why I'm trying to convince the rest of my class that we should vote for Catullus the second half. Hehe...We all hate Lucretius (what's worse than epic plus philosophy? We equated it to Plato meets Ovid)...and they way I figure it, we'll understand Catullus and be highly amused. :smallbiggrin:

I use Catullus and Aristophanes as reasons I'm majoring in the Classics- learn bad words to tell people and no one else will know. Or, if they do, they'll love the joke.

Cheers,
Syka

Dragonstar
2008-01-16, 11:15 PM
No, I'm just kidding. Really dragonstar, some subjects stay as dead as they appear in highschool depending on what life throws at you.
Imagin you are walking with your girlfriend along the streets of Rome. Now, illiteracy, while not granting you any rage or fast movement ability, will keep you in the dark and you won't be able to show off with her sayin "you see Darling, the writing on the pantheon says :wanted and built by menennius agrippa in the year ....".

Actually I won't have that problem - she also took her 4 years in Catholic school, and retained it all. :smallwink: I can take solace in the fact that I scored a magna *** laude on the National Latin Exam and she didn't... I'm sure if I wanted to pick it back up I could, but for now as the saying goes, if you don't use it you lose it. :smalltongue:

FdL
2008-01-20, 02:02 PM
>.>
<.<

Is this the right place to point that people fail at using "per se", instead writing it as "persay"? It annoys me infinitely. I mean, there's no need to use a latin expression if you don't know how to write it.

[/rant]