PDA

View Full Version : Storm Wizard & His Magic Staff

Darkxarth
2008-01-14, 09:15 PM
I'm working on a mage character, and I've decided to use the UA variant of Domain Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizardVariantDomainWiz ard). The Storm Domain appealled to me more than any other, and I decided to just make a slightly Storm themed character. So, I'm playing an Air Gnome (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfAir) Wizard with the Storm Domain, and I'm thinking about taking the Spelltouched feat Conductivity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/spelltouchedFeats.htm#conductivity). Obviously it's not that great a feat, but I'm also taking a couple of flaws to balance it out.

Anyway, them whole point of this is to explain that I decided my Wizard should have a cool staff, and, being only level 6 (bummer) I don't really have the cash to blow on an actualy magic staff from the DMG (I think there might even be a storm staff in the MIC). So, I checked out both Imbued Staff (it's not OGC, you'll have to Google it if you don't have the appropriate book [MIC I think]) and the Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) feat.

The actual question I have for you fine folks is this: is there anyway to combine my Imbued Staff and my Item Familiar into the same staff cheaply? Would you count the +1 enhancement bonus given to the owner of the Imbued Staff as making it a permanent magical item? The 3/day Light spell? Would it be worth it to actually buy a +1 Quarterstaff and then Imbue it so it could qualify for Item Familiar?

EDIT: A 6th level character starts with 13,000 gp. And I can spend up to 6,500 gp on a single item, probably the staff if necessary.

Any other suggestions to go with either the Imbued Staff/Item Familiar or the Storm theme? Thanks in advance.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-15, 05:31 AM
It's a little gray but you might consider using the Ancestral Relic feat from BoED to make your Imbued Staff a Construct Familar staff since the Ancestral Relic feat would let you "enchant" your staff up to 6,500 gp at L6 to taste since it would meet the 2,000 gp minimum required enchantment for the staff to be a construct familiar.

Something like
+1 Staff 2,000 gp and since the PC is L6 I'd give it basic Intelligence and empathy for 1,000 gp from DMG page 269 which the PC at L7 can apply to some other staff enhancement when the staff gains sentience.

3,500 gp and one lesser power with 30' vision and hearing left to enhance the staff or 2,500 gp and two lesser powers with 60' vision and hearing:

Bless allies 3/day is +1,000 gp and Faerie Fire 3/day is +1,100 gp according to the DMG so I'd swap out an equivalent level spell to taste for the mechanics.

Instead of enchanting it as a weapon you could enchant as an item like a Book of Lore or something else or a variant maybe a Lesser prorated 100 page Boccobs Blessed Spell Book rune staff at 10% of the standard cost.

A Broom of Flying is 17,000 gp for flying basically based on continuous or 5/day flying. Limiting it to 1/day for 9 minutes would cost 3,400 gp.

Staff of Summoning Air Elementals based on the Bag of Tricks usable 10/week for up to 10 minutes each time and limited to Summoning 1 Large Air Elemental (SNA5 or 1-3 Medium Air Elementals or 1-3 Mephits or 2 - 5 Small Air Elementals basically random but themed as per the Bag of Tricks summoning mechanic) plus 6,300 gp using Tan bag mechanics.

Darkxarth
2008-01-15, 08:22 AM
Thanks Mike, that's extremely helpful. From the options you listed, I'm liking:

Something like
+1 Staff 2,000 gp and since the PC is L6 I'd give it basic Intelligence and empathy for 1,000 gp from DMG page 269 which the PC at L7 can apply to some other staff enhancement when the staff gains sentience.

3,500 gp and one lesser power with 30' vision and hearing left to enhance the staff or 2,500 gp and two lesser powers with 60' vision and hearing:

Bless allies 3/day is +1,000 gp and Faerie Fire 3/day is +1,100 gp according to the DMG so I'd swap out an equivalent level spell to taste for the mechanics.
And it still gets a few cool abilities via Imbued Staff as well.

If anyone has a better suggestion, or more Storm-themed ideas, I'm open to most anything.

CASTLEMIKE
2008-01-15, 08:26 AM
Glad I was able to help.

Swooper
2008-01-15, 09:19 AM
Have you checked out Weapons of Legend? I haven't checked it thoroughly myself, but I think it should be able to do something resembling what you want.

Darkxarth
2008-01-16, 10:41 PM
Have you checked out Weapons of Legend? I haven't checked it thoroughly myself, but I think it should be able to do something resembling what you want.

Legendary weapons and Scions are ok, I might see if I can convince my DM to let me discover that my staff is a legendary weapon later, but I'll just stick with an Intelligent, Imbued Staff Item Familiar for now. Thanks folks.

dragonseth
2008-01-16, 10:46 PM
I am huge fan of Item Familiar and Ancestral Relic. Have you thought about material? With a storm theme, nothing immediately springs to mind. Maybe Darkwood, and say it came from a tree that got hit by lightning or something? If there's some thematically appropriate material I'm missing, it'd be good to know for future reference.