PDA

View Full Version : Building a unique Pantheon(Help needed)

Blackadder
2008-01-15, 01:14 AM
Long time OoTS reader, first time poster. I'm getting back into the swing of DMing and have decided it's time to start world-building.

So I'm building a little world and I need some gods for it, six in fact. I have their domains and their aligntments set up, name's and general details is what I need to generate. (FYI I'm HORRIBLE at coming up with new names, so help there is greatly appreciated)

Want to help? Read on

God Details
First off, the world that these gods came from was original a highly violate set of mini-nations. Think dark ages at it's worst, humans constantly at war with other humans and the other humanoid races. Quick note, the game world is roughly the size of Africa, Humans and Gnomes are very common, Dwarves, Goblins, Gnolls, Orc's are common, Bugbears, Kobolds are rare. Trolls and Elves are unheard of. Halflings never existed. Underdark races as well. Almost no outer plane contact. Dragon's and other magic beasties are to totally unheard of in this part of the world at this time. Emphasis on the complete lack of magic other than divine, and due to the weak nature of gods in general, high end clerics were impossible(Think actual dark ages, life was quick, brutal, and unfair)

By the time the PC's come around much has change of course, but this backstory is important to the Gods to come. At this time Gods were limited to only having one city at best of worshipers, a small tribe or the like. IE the highest end Gods around were Demi-gods at best.

God Backstory
Enter into this mess, one Lawful Evil God. Lets call him the Deal-maker for now. Originally a unique god of both Trickery and Law, he looks over this war-torn land, where any day now some Orc tribe can kill you after they kill all your worshipers and decides that this won't stand.

So he then decides to set up a pact, between himself and a few like minded gods to stop this by setting up their very own Pantheon. That's right, the Deal-maker decides to create his very own religion with gods(Of the right stock and the right attitude) to help rule with him.

Here's where you come in
I need to flesh out the gods he recruits, keep in mind these Gods started as demi-gods in charge of only one thing, and ended up as Greater deities with three or more portfolio's. Aside from the Deal-maker I don't even have names in mind for these yet.

There are a total of six gods, three chaotic, three lawful, one neutral.

Chaotic Good (Domains:Chaos, Good, Luck, Magic)
Name:Free-spirit of some kind, creativity, song and story. (Female)
Originally was: Human Tribal God
Note:The addition of magic was much later on.

Neutral Good (Fire, Healing, Protection, Sun)
Name: Something that says Sun god who protected his people
Originally was: Farmer God, started as Sun only

Lawful Neutral (Destruction, Strength, War)
Name:Warlike is good, Barbarian inspired? (Male)
Originally was:Barbarian God, perhaps even an Orc god who stepped up from being one races war god, to a general war god. I'm thinking a VERY strong Honor code for this god is why he's Lawful despite his domains.

True Neutra (Animal, Earth, Plant, Death)
Name:Dwarvish Tribal/City God
Originally was:Dwarf god of renewal. IE from the Earth we came and to the earth we shall return. He acquired the animal and Plant areas so his domain counted as anything that walked across his earth or grew in it.

Chaotic Neutral (Air, Travel, Water)
Name:A Salior's god. Weather control
Originally: Port City God of the Ocean and wave, sailors sacrificed to him for safe voyages thus the Travel Domain, ended up with Air post pact to give him control of the weather as well.

Lawful Evil (Evil, Law, Trickery, Knowledge)
Name:Deal-maker-ish (Male)
Orginally:A Gnomish god of Trickery and Law, one might say a Lawyer god. Evil in the sense that he has no morals, not in the sense he does bad things.

Feel free to add in whatever little details you like, pick a god, pick two and write them up. Give them a name, a history, feel free to deviate.

The only guidelines I ask you to stick to...
1. There are no great hatreds between Gods. While these gods are highly xenophobic towards other gods(Using their followers for good old missionary and forced conversion work depending on the god) they don't hate each other.
This pact has benefited all gods greatly. As of today(The time the PC's enter the frame) they are the only gods in this World.

While their might be dislikes between gods, they get along generally speaking, any disagreements being limited to squabbles between friends. They've not gone to war with each other since the Pact, and due to the nature of the Pantheon, worship of one God, benefits all the Gods, as each is portrayed as a part of a greater whole.

2. Aside from the gender's I set down, feel free to make them anything you like.

3. This is important to my campaign, The Deal-maker is famous for never breaking his word He rarely gives his word, but once given he respects the spirit and the word of what he said. It's part of his limited code that he never directly lie.

So with that go nuts, Hair color, favorite weapon, whatever. Considering some of the things I've read on this forum, I am eagerly waiting to see what you will all come up with.

Blackadder
2008-01-15, 04:58 PM
30 views and not a single suggestion? Not even silly one's like calling my dark god Bob Barker? Ahh well, I'll check back tomorrow to see if anyone's had any ideas or explained were I'm going wrong.

Lady Tialait
2008-01-15, 05:21 PM
I'm just insane enough to give this a wack...

True Neutral (Animal, Earth, Plant, Death)
Name: Derrak ThunderForge
P
Originally was:Dwarf god of renewal. IE from the Earth we came and to the earth we shall return. He acquired the animal and Plant areas so his domain counted as anything that walked across his earth or grew in it.

Dogma: Derrak ThunderForge encurages his followers to preserve the mines, Creating Clergy who are almost counter-dwarven. They see nature as an ally that must be protected as feircly as their clan. Often disliked from other dwarves, they often are animal trainers. Derrak tells his clerics if they simply allow nature to be alone it will regrow and if you disrubt it you will die.

Quests: Clerics of Derrak often are sent to secure a plot of spoiled land for regrowing. As such they have no quams with killing everyone in the place in order to secure the area.

Allies and Heraled: Derrak ThunderForge 's Heraled is a Dwarven 10th level fighter 10th level Druid. his allies are Ledgondary Woodling Animals, Elder Elementals (Earth only.), and Were-Mole Dwarven Warriors.

That is all I came up with...please tell me what you think...teehee

Draz74
2008-01-15, 05:35 PM
I highly recommend The Encyclopedia Mythica (http://pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/norse/articles.html) as a source of name ideas. (This link leads to the Norse mythology section, because that seemed possibly to go best with a Dark Ages Europe flavor, but the other sections are great too.)

Blackadder
2008-01-15, 08:24 PM
@Tialait

First I like the idea that he's a god that pushs for letting the land lie fallow for a time to prevent spoiling. However I have to add, I need to stress, these half to be Gods every race can get along with since these six God's are the only God's available now. So they have to have something for everyone, or at least one good feature that people can point to. These gods are seen as working in partnership's, each equal in status within their own domains. Along with that, they are the "true" gods in the Dark ages sense that if a Cleric of Helm wanders in from Faerun they would be regarded as Heretics and quickly hunted down as such.

However one thing I did very much like...
Were-Mole Avatar? Perfect! I like the idea, heck lets give the Neutral God's favorite animal as a mole. Hmm what should his favorite weapon be then?

I highly recommend The Encyclopedia Mythica (http://pantheon.org/areas/mythology/europe/norse/articles.html) as a source of name ideas. (This link leads to the Norse mythology section, because that seemed possibly to go best with a Dark Ages Europe flavor, but the other sections are great too.)
Very useful name wise, I'm going to read this site and bookmark it thank you.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-01-15, 08:32 PM
Favourite weapon... The first thing that pops into my mind is Pick, but that is not preserving nature... Greatclub? I can imagine that...

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-15, 09:55 PM
I've got a whole night to kill;

Neutral Good (Fire, Healing, Protection, Sun)
Name: My first though was "Helios" (the Greek sun god for whom the element helium is named, I think) but since he started off as a farmer I've made up "Solsaturn" from "Sol" (Helios' Roman counterpart) and Saturn, the Roman god of farming. The idea being that the Sol was added when he became the sun god.
Originally was: Solsaturn started off as a farmer god. He devoted his time to ensuring that all sapient life was able to survive and carry on the gift of intelligence it had been granted. He did his best to ensure that crops grew, the rain fell and weeds were kept at bay. He readily accepted the pact, eager to better protect his followers. As his power quickly grew he took the responsibility of ensuring the sun rose and set, ensuring the survival of crops. As he protected crops he was associated with protection, and many of the races revered him for protecting their livelihood. Eventually the heat of the sun was associated with fire and the sun with life. He took responsibility for fire and healing, the preservation of life.
Dogma: Solsaturn stresses the protection of life and the importance of warmth. Many of his followers will use violence only as a last resort, while others stress the importance of preserving one's own life (the former being the more conservative interpretation).
Symbol: Solsaturn's symbol is a sun with wheat silhouetted over it.
Followers: He is most revered in rural, farming areas (while his past "occupation" is forgotten he is still very much associated with the protection of crops), arid climates and by those who practise medicine or healing magicks. His favoured weapon is a sythe. If a follower of Solsaturn is not wielding a sythe they will often be carrying a sheild with his symbol on it to represent his protection.
Organisations/Allies The largest organisations devoted to Solsaturn are the Healers of the Sun and the Protectors of Fire. The former being a mainly Lawful Good ministerial group (mainly clerics and Paladins) who seek to convince potential members to, worship Solsaturn while the latter is a Chaotic Good group who favour protecting their worshipers (mainly rogues and barbarians). Both groups exist in a symbiotic relationship but could easily become hostile towards each other due to their opposing views on the interpretation of Solsaturn's dogma.

Blackadder
2008-01-15, 10:10 PM
Bisected8, that's bloody perfect, I love it. The only question I have is pronunciation of "Solsaturn". Does it sound just like it looks, S-ol-sa-t-ur-n? Or is it some odd-off Solsturn sounding?

Otherwise it looks perfect for my Neutral Good God. One down four and a half left.

BisectedBrioche
2008-01-15, 10:18 PM
In my head I pronounced it as: SOL (soul, foal, coal, hole)- SAT (hat, cat, bat) - URN (learn, burn, fern).

Blackadder
2008-01-16, 01:24 AM
In my head I pronounced it as: SOL (soul, foal, coal, hole)- SAT (hat, cat, bat) - URN (learn, burn, fern).
Right thanks for the clarification. I've got him pegged now.

Lady Tialait
2008-01-16, 08:09 PM
Name:Free-spirit of some kind, creativity, song and story. (Female)
Originally was: Human Tribal God
Note:The addition of magic was much later on.

Marrie Tromel
The lucky Madien, Lady Luck, Tricky Marry

History: Marrie was orignally, not even a goddess, just a woman blessed with extreme luck, Infact, she just sort of lucked apon godhood. Born a Soreress, she honed her abilities to mimic fate, she slowly but surly grew inter her own (lucking out most of her life, she never really got that harmed), Her home town to this day (tho this is most of the world anymore) when you luck out they "Why, i've got Marrie's own luck"

Prayers: Prayers to Marrie are often done on the spur of the moment, examples are:
"Lady Luck, Be kind"
or "Tricky Marry, Some help here!"
Always short and snappy.

Quests: Marrie's Clerics (few as their are) make sure that good luck is given to those who need it, and try to stop any establishment from dominating luck.

Worshipers: Socerors, Bards, Rouges, anyone who needs a little bit of luck.

Allies and Hearld: Marrie has no Harald, she either shows herself, or not at all.
Her allies inculde, Titains, Celestial Halflings, and Hopefullies. (i'll find a link for thease)

Blackadder
2008-01-22, 04:42 PM
Bump, I still need a War-God, a Sailor God, and some details for my Dealmaker.

Bonus points if you can come with a Price is Right joke name for the Deal-maker.

McFayne
2008-01-24, 05:38 PM
Heh, well, I've got no Price is Right jokes prepared, except perhaps...

Tethel Bloodquill, the Keeper of the Contract, come on down!

Lawful Evil (Evil, Law, Trickery, Knowledge)
Name:Deal-maker-ish (Male)
Orginally:A Gnomish god of Trickery and Law, one might say a Lawyer god. Evil in the sense that he has no morals, not in the sense he does bad things.

Original Name: Tet the Trickster
Original Domains: Evil, Trickery, Knowledge
Added Domain: Law
Origin:
Originally a minor trickster god, generally worshiped by the gnomes of the deepest caves and obscure bards, Tet had a way of getting into trouble and getting out of it just as easily (even without his divine powers). He spent much time conning riches from powerful outsiders, until one day, centuries ago, he came upon a devil who claimed to be a son of Asmodeus himself. The two agreed to a little gamble: they would both see how many mortals they could convince to sign their own souls away. Tet suggested that the two should write up a contract and rules for their game and the fiend agreed. The prize for victory was a quill, made from the scale from the wing of a great pit fiend, which produced its own blood-red ink. When a contract was written with it, the very powers of the cosmos would demand it be upheld. With it, the rules for the game were written: one year on the material plane, and on their return to Hell, they would tally the souls and declare the winner. They both signed and went on their way.
With the contract in place, the competition began. One year passed, and the two met again in Hell. The fiend had contracted almost 900 mortal souls, and had already began harvesting some who had died (many by extension of the promise made by the fiend in some way). Tet had only a few dozen (those who had already been his worshipers). With glee the devil proclamed himself the winner; but Tet pulled out the deal the two had signed. Even though the devil had helped write it, Tet had worked in a clause that led to every soul promised to the fiend that was not already *in* Hell defaulted to him. Winning by a vast margin, Tet took his prize and simply smiled. As he departed, he could barely contain his amusement and said slyly, "You should have read the fine print."
Claiming all the souls promised to the devil increased the number of his followers several hundred fold, and he adopted the domain of Law, and took his place as a true god on the material world.
Worshipers: Although evil in alignment, Tethel is highly revered by many law-bringers and judges. Most, if not all, major courts of law have a tribute to his cleverness and dedication to the "fine print."
Symbol: A blank gray stone tablet with a blood-red quill on it.
Favored Weapons: short sword for his law-enforcers, dagger for his law-makers
Favored Animal: Rat (naturally)
Servants: Tethel prefers mortal servants to outsiders, as they are both easier to trick and are generally more inclined to actually believe in the cause they serve.

Well, that's the idea. Obviously, change and tweak as you need. Just trying to help.:smallsmile: